Categories > Original > Drama > cameras don't tell lies.

chapter thirteen.

by roxnick 0 reviews

Category: Drama - Rating: R - Genres: Drama - Published: 2007-12-15 - Updated: 2007-12-15 - 770 words - Complete

0Unrated
"PENNY!"
i was being shook from top to bottom, someone sitting on me. it hurt. my eyes slowly opened, and i felt a rush of anger at the thought of someone waking me up from such a deep sleep.
"WHAT!?", i screamed at frankie, the perpetrator, as i looked around. it was still dark. i yawned.
"the du-"
"what fucking time is it?", i asked impatiently, cutting frankie off.
"i don't know! that's not what matters right now, okay?"
i rolled my eyes and pushed him off of me. i wasn't trying to be a bitch, but my biggest pet peeve is being awakened in the middle of the night, specially in such a rude way.
"well then, what the fuck does matter? what's so fucking important that you had to shake the shit out of me while i was sleeping? HMM?"
he stared at me blankly for a second.
"wow. aren't you mature. anyway, look, that dude from last night... or tonight, i guess... whatever, i just went down for a smoke a few minutes ago, and he was driving around the parking lot, and i don't know if he saw me-"
"omegod, you sure it's him? we didn't even see his face that well", i said, jumping up. i started to get dressed.
"i'm pretty sure it was him"
"frankie!... what the fuck are we gonna do? i'm freaking the fuck out here!"
"how do you think i feel? i don't know, if we go out there... i ran the fuck up here like a bitch, i swear... i'm sure he doesn't know what room we're in"
"dude... dude!"
i got up and started looking around in my bag. i took a piece of paper out.
"you have a phone, right?", i asked.
"yeah, here...", frankie said as he dug through his pant pocket. he handed me a beat up cellphone.
i took it and dialed the phone on the paper, taryn's.
the tone dial seemed so much louder than usual. my eardrums beat hard.
i heard a soft breath.
"taryn?"
no answer.
"taryn?"
no answer.
"TARYN?!"
"this ain't no taryn. she dead"
i knew that voice. i dropped the phone and kicked it under the bed as if it was a bug. i looked at frankie, who was chewing on his nails nervously at a distance.
i slowly walked up to him, keeping my eyes where the phone had landed.
i leaned into his ear.
"it's him. he has taryn's phone. she's dead? she's dead..."
a tear rolled down my cheek.
frankie then turned around and opened the door. the shining dark hallway appeared.
"c'mon", he said.
i followed, closing the door behind me softly.
i looked behind me. every step felt like it was being repeated by someone.
we stepped into the elevator.
"why is this happening?", i whispered, grabbing both sides of my head.
"she's not dead. she's okay", frankie was telling himself over and over again.
we got down to the lobby, bright and spacious. the receptionist was on a computer, and the doors to the outside made emptiness visible. it was extremely quiet, which made every move sound loud and rusty. my head was spinning out of control.
frankie went through the exit, taking me by the wrist and looking around. we weren't safe anymore, stepping into the outside world.
we ran through the street towards a parking lot. i could see frankie's yellow car in the distance. it was hard to miss, out of all the blacks and blues.
i had never been so happy getting in a car.
frankie started up the motor with a turn of the key, and backed up out of the space. he drove through the narrow road and out of the parking lot. quiet.
we entered a strip of small shops, all consumed by the darkness of the night. i looked at the time on the radio screen. three forty nine. stillness.
frankie drove with caution, his eyes wide open, his face pale. he was mumbling and grunting, blinking hard. peace.
frankie turned. the street light at the corner turned on and off. at the end of the road, someone seemed to be crossing the road. they dropped an enormous package. i squinted my eyes to try and see, but it was too dark. frankie's headlights weren't on.
"what the hell?", i asked, as we got closer. the person was wearing a black trench coat. they were still struggling with the package, attempting to gett it off the street, pulling and pulling.
frankie then turned his lights on boldly. the person turned their face and looked.
Sign up to rate and review this story