Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > Brendon Urie, The Friendly...Ghost?

Enter, Scene Queen

by smokeandmirrors 0 reviews

The one who hired Madeline and her father arrives to pay them a little visit, and Brendon tells Madeline finally how he died.

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Published: 2008-01-12 - Updated: 2008-01-12 - 1510 words - Complete

0Unrated
Madeline was quiet after Brendon told her the date of his death, and sat on the window sill as night fell and she listened to her father settle in his sleeping bag. Poor man admitted to her one night at a bar that he'd never be able to sleep in a bed again, knowing her mother wasn't there for him to wake up to. Brendon gave her a sad smile after she told him this, the breeze stirring her midnight curls and making goose bumps appear on her pale skin. "You tired yet?" Brendon asked her, sitting cross legged on the bed and watching Madeline curiously, biting his bottom lip. She turned to him and nodded, walking over to her duffel bag and getting out a Radiohead concert t-shirt out and some flannel shorts and slipping off her Mary Janes. She heard a giggle come from Brendon and shook her head, blushing. "You either turn your head or I make you crossover." She joked, secretly relieved when he did turn around, allowing her privacy to change and slip under the covers that smelled like that same cologne and soap, making her head swim in a pleasant way and a smile appear on her lips. Turning on her side, she faced Brendon who was lying down next to her, looking at her thoughtfully, a close lipped smile on his face and bangs falling into his wide eyes. "What do you remember about your death?" She asked in a whisper, the only sounds besides her breathing and her feet shifting beneath the bed sheets was the wind softly blowing outside. Brendon closed his eyes, his body giving off a soft ethereal glow that was chilling and she couldn't help wishing it were warmth he were giving off, and not the constant tingles running up her spine.

"It was...a masquerade...Ryan was bored so he wanted to throw a party, like an extravagant tea party...everyone wore masks...feathers, bright colors, loooots of alcohol thanks to Jon, and great music, something we all had a hand in. It was about one in the morning...I was dancing and wanted to take a rest...I had a cup in my hands...and suddenly it wasn't there anymore...and then an hour later I was looking down at my dead body, watching everyone panic." Madeline closed her eyes, willing the tears building up to go away, but couldn't help a few that started to slide down her pale cheeks. "Don't cry for me. I've watched too many people cry or curse themselves hoarse, and it's an ugly process." He muttered to her, picking up the blanket and wiping away her tears, since he couldn't do it himself. "Thank you for remembering for me...I hope I can help you." Madeline whispered to him before falling asleep, her racing pulse finally calming down and her breaths pouring from her mouth softly, making Brendon feel more at peace than he ever had. He leaned over her and whispered gently to her, "Can I keep you?" before brushing his lips against her cheek, making her shiver. "Brendon...can you close the window? It's getting cold," Madeline murmured before falling back asleep, leaving Brendon to shut the window and sit at the foot of the bed, wishing more than anything that he were alive. He was tired of cold nights.

The next week consisted of her father leaving to go to a bar and search for answers at the bottom of a pint glass, and Brendon playing the piano with her. Seeing that she was a Radiohead fan, they constantly tried to see who could play which song better, which led to Madeline getting nervous and messing up the notes, and Brendon playing with her hair or brushing her neck with his cold fingertips just to make her lose her concentration. Madeline started to get frustrated and finally turned the puppy eyes on Brendon, making him settle for the both of them playing together, both of them singing softly to Karma Police before Brendon started to finally really sing, making Madeline smile and stare at him in awe. His pitch was perfect, and a smile was always on his face when he sang, his words ringing out and making her heart stop beating for a split beautiful second. Madeline, with Brendon's help, got the shower working earlier in the week, and was in the middle of enjoying one when there was a lazy knock on the door, making Madeline jump out and hurriedly drying herself off, throwing on a blue kimono styled robe and running down the stairs, ignoring Brendon's teasing wolf whistles as she finally answered the door to see what could only label as a Scene Queen. This woman, who she could guess was at least ten years older than her, had pink and black hair with more piercings than Madeline would have ever dared to get, and more makeup than she'd ever applied in her teens. Audrey. "Audrey Kitching, I asked you to get the ghost out of the house?" The woman introduced herself, chewing gum like a cow, making her bright red lipgloss smear. "Oh right! Ms. Kitching I'm so sorry my father isn't here but I'll give you a review so far of how it's going, if that's what you wanted? Can I get you something to drink?" Madeline rushed in, missing Audrey's sneer at her unkempt appearance and impatient sigh as she settled near the kitchen table that was covered with papers and several stolen pint glasses. "I'm sorry I haven't really had the time to go food shopping or anything but um, right, the ghost. Well the spirit is..." Madeline paused, looking up to see Brendon curling his lip into a humorously disgusted look, then blowing up his cheeks and waving his hands mockingly at the zebra haired Scene Queen. "The spirit is what? I have to have this house cleared and ready to renovate, plus I wanted to sell off that piano...since none of his shitty band will take care of it, I have to, and like, I don't know if I can handle a ghost like, moving it when I'm trying to move it so if you could just please like, get rid of him, that'd be fab."
'Fab?' Madeline mouthed to Brendon who had started silently laughing at this point. "Um, well you see, it's a delicate process and um, this spirit, he isn't ready to quite leave yet, but I assure you it'll be done in time for you to get this house ready for...whatever you need it for." Audrey shrugged and popped her gum, and taking out the check that'd pay Madeline and her father for their services. "Guess you won't be getting this yet then, huh? Well I'll check in next week, I have a photo shoot to go to. Later." Madeline just stared dubiously at the woman as she found the door herself and left, with the money that would have provided their meals for the next month. She whipped around to face Brendon who seemed just as upset, if not more. "You DATED that woman? You have no good taste at all!" With that, she stomped off to finish her shower, blocking Brendon's ability to phase through the door as she slammed it shut, starting the shower again only to find the hot water had run out. "GODDAMNIT!"

It was twilight once again, and her father was busy sleeping off his hangover while Madeline let Brendon play with her curly hair, braiding it messily and talking to her about his brief relationship with Audrey. "She was just really into the whole groupie thing, and she had her whole modeling career going for her...so I guess when I started getting mushy on her she wanted out. Dating sort of became one failure after the next after that. I always sort of envied Ryan and how crazy cute his relationship with Keltie was, you know like when you go, 'awww how adorable, hey can I have something like that?' Personally I thought it was the worst ache to have." Madeline sighed and turned around, embracing Brendon briefly, her stomach flipping at the smell of things that have aged mixed with whatever scent Brendon had when he was alive. Brendon groaned. "I can't even smell you, and I can only feel you slightly, like, how a cat brushes its tail against you? That kind of brief feeling." Madeline closed her eyes and leaned back, seeing that twilight was fading into night skies like always. "I'll find a way somehow to make it last longer, I promise." She whispered before crawling into bed and falling asleep, dreaming of pianos, broken-hearted musicians and roses serving as strings for rotting guitars.

((I listened to the entired new Radiohead album, In Rainbows, Academia by Sia, In My Place and Speed of Sound by Coldplay, and Karma Police by Radiohead while writing this chapter. Oh! And Sia's version of Paranoid Android too. Thanks again for reading!))
Sign up to rate and review this story