Categories > Movies > Newsies > Big New York Dream

About Rose

by lyssaleigh 0 reviews

Category: Newsies - Rating: PG - Genres:  - Published: 2008-02-20 - Updated: 2008-02-21 - 940 words - Complete

0Unrated
"Good Mornin' Rose." I heard a familiar voice behind me. What is with all these people talking behind my back! I turned around the face the cute Italian, Race. I thought he was ignoring me, oh well no sense ignoring him.

"Good Morning, Race. How are you?"

"Not so bad, and yerself?"

"The same." I smiled at him.

"Ah, maybe later we could go to Tibby's if ya want." he asked. Geez what was Tibby's?

"What's that?" he used his free hand to slap himself in the forehead.

"Sorry, its a restaurant."

"Oh i am sry, but Dave is showing me the sites and then he is coming over for dinner. But I'll ask for a rain check." It was sweet of him to ask and i do want to go but i'll just wait for another time.

"Rain check?"

"Yep, it means pick another day. You know i am here all summer." I smiled and he winked. Thats when i saw Dave coming toward me with Les, Jack, Mush, and Crutchy.

"Ready Rose? Oh hiya Race." Dave said.

"I'm ready."

"Hey Davey, Cya Rose." and Race walked off and started to sell the papes.

"Oh, Rose. Your Uncle would like to see you." Oscar Delancy called to me, his face popped out between two white doors. I gave confused look and i told Dave to start and i'd catch up.

"You called?" I said to him. All he did was force me inside and into a room and locked the door. "What are you doing?"

"Look, i know for a fact that you are not allowed to be around those newsboys. My father works for you father in Pittsburgh, thats why i thought you looked so familiar."

"But, you wont tell him will you?" He looked to his brother and back at me with a devious smile. "What are you planning?"

"I won't tell you father but only if your mine"

"How dare you ask me!!! i dont even know you! Now let me out!"

"As you wish Rose, but we'll be watching you." I raced outside to see Dave waiting there.

"I thought i told you to go ahead and i'd catch up." i teased.

"But you wouldnt know your way, so i had to stay."

"Where the papers?"

"Thats when little brothers come in handy. He and Jack are selling today, so its just me, you and the sites of New York." Awesome! but i really wanted to help sell the papers. I have all summer still ahead of me. "What did your Uncle want?"

"Actually it wasnt my Uncle but Oscar." I started and explained the whole story to him.

"Oh wow i'm sorry Rose. But why doesnt your father want you around us?" he asked.

"Rose, darling come here please." My father called from the study as i stepped in the door from school.

"Yes Father?"

"How would you like to visit you Uncle Joe? He sent me a letter asking for your company this summer. I just recieved the letter now." Oh yes! I've always loved going to New York when i was little a girl.

"Yes Father i will be happy to go!"

"Now Rose i know you have been following the newsboys strike and do not want you to get entangled in their mess. They are dangerous boys, do you undstand me?"

"If they are so dangerous, how did they have brains and guts to stand up to Uncle and beat him?"

"Do you really wish to go?" I nodded. "Then not another word about this. Now, run along and do your homework which i expect it to be done and on my desk supper. See you then." I rushed out of the study and upstairs to my room. I sat at my desk and pulled out the bottom drawer. It contained all my newsies articles. I rummaged through to find my favorite one. It had about 20 boys in a pic posing very weird. I knew all there names and i was determind to meet everyone, especially Spot Conlons of Brooklyn, regaurdless of what my father says!


"Rose? Are you alright?" Dave brought me back to reality.

"Yes, i am fine. Just thinking back to the day i found out i was coming. I havent had a chance to tell you but i am a huge follower in the strike. I've been following it ever since it started."

"You have?"

"Yes, and my father thinks you are dangerous boys and orders me not to chase you. But i didnt have to. Thanks to Race."

"Wow. I had no idea." he seemed very shocked.

"Hey Davey why the stunned face?" Crutchy asked as he finished up his pape. I guess he did good today.

"Rose, here is a big supporter of the Newsie Strike." Dave explained.

"Oh thats amazing. But how did you find out bout it since you lives so far away." again, sweet Crutchy asked.

"Uncle Joe usually sends Father the newspaper so he can help him with business. One day as i was waiting for my Father to finish checking my homework, i was briefing through The World, when an article appeared about you guys and ever since i've cut out and collected every article."

"Wow, that's interesting! I've got to go tell the others. Meet me at Tibbys in bout hour." Crutchy called over his shoulder as he walked away. There's that Tibby's again.

"Well lets go to Centrel Park and then head over to Tibbys for lunch. Whaddya say?"

"Sounds like a plan." and yet again our fingers intertwined with one anothers as we walked toward the park.
Sign up to rate and review this story