Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > To Save A Life

The Truth

by Moonshyne 1 review

Bob and Sam talk.

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Characters: Bob Bryar - Published: 2008-03-11 - Updated: 2008-03-11 - 3124 words - Complete

0Unrated
She helped him in the hot tub and sat him in one side as she sat on the other.

“Kenny says I’m supposed to keep you talking, so talk.”

“Y-y-y-ou first.”

I was born in June of 1978, yes I’m going to be the big three 0 this year, and grew up in the south side of Chicago in an abusive home. No matter what my mom did it was never good enough it was never right. My father would come home at all hours of the night. My mother never ask where he had been she knew better. It was a hard lesson took her a couple of dozen times to learn it. It was my seventh birthday and he came home really drunk and was waving a gun around. I thought he was going to really kill her this time. I snuck into their bedroom and called the police. They had to fight him to get the gun away from him and in the end it went off and killed him.

“I-i-i-I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be he was a fucking prick. Well there was a really nice police officer who came around and would take my mother and I out for at first was ice cream, then it was dinner and finally movies. It was always the three of us. Then one Saturday night it was just the two of them. Brian knew I felt a little jealous so Sundays was our special day, a day for just the two of us. In February 1987 they got married and in October of that year my sister was born. They wanted a Brian Jr. so bad that when she was born they called her Brianna. We all fell in love with her. She was perfect. But Dad still kept Sunday as our special day. I never felt anything less than his own flesh and blood. He was one in a million. When I was in middle school we moved to Downs Grove. My dad was making really good money with all the extra detail he was pulling in. After a while I really fit in became a cheerleader and became really popular. By my junior year I had it all. I was head cheerleader dated the captain of the football team, straight A’s a loving family.”

Bob’s mind started to swirl as he thought back to his freshman year and her, Samantha Green, head cheerleader. Being in the band meant you went to all the football games, traveled with the team and all that what was supposed to cool stuff. He noticed her at the first football game and it was love at first sight. As much as any fourteen year old could know what love was. It definitely was a huge crush. Then one day she walked up to him and started talking. She wanted to know what sort of things he was into and had he ever kissed a girl. Bob was ecstatic the next time he saw her was in the hallway and asked if she wanted to see a movie with him. She said she was sorry that she had a boyfriend. And Bob found out the first hand about her boyfriend’s jealous rage. But one good thing about it, it was then and there he decided to not take anyone’s shit any more. He was always a bit of a troublemaker in school but just mischievous things. He loved pulling stuff apart and putting it back together again. But in high school after that fight no one ever got away with giving him shit again.

“Are you okay?” asked Sam.

Bob looked at her and shook his head yes.

“I thought I had it all, except integrity.”

Bob couldn’t help but roll his eyes as he thought, ‘you can say that again’.

After his altercation with her boyfriend, he took to noticing her and her gang would point and laugh at him and he even heard his name in that mocking call, ‘Bobby’. He hated it and hated her. She turned into a Grade A bitch and from where he was sitting she still was.

“At the beginning of the year we cheerleaders made a bet of who would meet the biggest geek. I chose this overweight blonde kid whose interests were music, and video games. He never had kissed a girl or even been on a date. Needless to say I won. It was all in good fun, right? That was until he asked me out. The way he looked down and blushed as he was asking me. God it must have taken a lot of guts. But he was sweet. My ‘friend’”, Sam motioned her fingers with quotation marks, “told my boyfriend and he beat the shit out of the kid. They found out his name and teased me mercilessly about it. ‘There goes Bobby why don’t you go and kiss his boo boos all better.’ I broke it off with my boyfriend and a month later was on a plane to San Diego. In San Diego I did some soul searching and didn’t like myself so I changed. After I graduated I found out that the kid was in a band playing at an under/over age club. There he was, rocking out on his drum kit. He was great. I really wanted to talk to him but I went out for a few minutes and when I got back he was gone.”

Bob remembered that night all too well. He saw her and she looked absolutely radiant. He wanted to take her in her arms and never let go, but he remembered how she treated him at school. He played the set broke down his kit and left. The band usually stayed to scoop on some girls but not tonight. He couldn’t be in the same room with her with his mind wandering about all the things he wanted to do with her, all of involved no clothing at all. It’s funny as he looked at her now. Four pulls of string and one of his deepest teenage fantasies would come true. But school crushes turn to something deeper and that’s what he had with Kat something that was way more than jumping in the sack, though that was great too. It was so much more fulfilling. But when Bob looked at Sam he still looked down and blushed for even thinking of what he wanted from her that night.

Sam noticed what Bob did and her eyes nearly popped out of her head as her jaw dropped.

“It was you wasn’t it?”

Bob looked down and nodded his head yes.

“I’m so sorry about what happened in high school. I was stupid and thoughtless. I didn’t think of your feelings or the consequences of a stupid bet. I did break up with my boyfriend when I found out what he did. I’m so sorry.”

Bob struggled to get out the words without stuttering from his shivering, “And this?”

Sam went across the hot tub and sat next to Bob. She grabbed his hands and looked into his icy blue eyes, “I am truly sorry about this. After we get you warmed and Kenny gets back we’ll take you anywhere you want to go. You can have your phone back, before you call the police just let me say good-bye to my family and leave Kenny out of all this.

Bob looked into her eyes and asked “Why?”

Three simple letters forming one simple word asked one simple question.

Why?
Sam took a deep breath held then slowly exhaled before speaking.

“I guess it started with September 11th . My Dad went to NY for some cooperative thing with the Port Authority it was supposed to be for two weeks. The Tuesday of the second week they got the call. My Dad didn’t have to go, but that was never his way. If someone needed help he was there, just like he was there for me and my Mom all those years ago. He was helping people through the stairwells in the South Tower when it went down. They never found his whole body. Bits an pieces they did find his wedding ring and gave it back to my Mom. We buried what we could in Chicago where he grew up and where we lived most of our lives. All our lives changed. I quit my dream job of a make-up artist and to honor him I became a police officer, a pretty damn good one at that.”

Bob mind was processing what she said and he spoke quietly, “I’m sorry.”

“I moved back to Chicago because I couldn’t deal with my family’s pain. My mother was always staring out the window as if she were waiting for him to come home, and my sister slowly sinking into a deep depression. Eventually my Mom realized that he wasn’t coming home. She got a decent enough pension from both police departments and she got some money from the World Trade Center fund that she didn’t need to work, but she wanted to get out and do something with her life. She became a political activist. My sister started coming out of her depression when she took a class in Ancient History and fell in love with trying to dig up people’s past. After she graduated she had a chance to go on a dig in the Amazon. She begged Mom to let her go, and Mom finally relented because it was the first time she had seen a real smile on her face since Dad died. It was time for Brianna to come home and start school. But she never came home.”

A tear started forming in Sam’s left eye.

“She and Mom got into an horrible fight where Brianna said she hated her and didn’t want to be part of the family. She was an adult and could pay her own way. Mother told her fine go ahead. Because she was over eighteen and not a student she was no longer covered under Mom’s insurance. Mom told my sister to get the forms and she would pay for it, but my sister had to prove her independence. Besides she was eighteen, young, healthy and strong. She didn’t need it.

The tears were rolling faster and faster down Sam’s face. She wiped them and composed herself as much as she could and then continued.

“Over a year later she came home. Mom noticed shortly after that Bri was getting out of breath quicker than usual. She chalked it up to the climate change. Mom was doing a fund raiser for Breast Cancer and we as her daughters were expected to run the 5k. A cakewalk for the two of us, but Bri collapsed right in front of me. She contracted a virus that got into her heart and lungs. Weakening them severely if she didn’t get a transplant in eighteen months she would die, she’s beaten the odds but not for much longer.”

Not knowing what to do Bob pulled Sam closer and held her. She found a comfort in his strong arms. Not the same as with Kenny, with Kenny she felt love and strength, he was her rock. But she definitely felt something with Bob and it was hard to describe.

“After we were told I followed the doctor, I wanted to ask him questions tell him he was lying until I found him in tears. He looked at me wiped his tears and composed himself. He said ‘I’m sorry, she’s so young and beautiful I hate seeing things like this happen.’ He said he still got criticized for it. He told me his name was Kenny. From that meeting on he has been there every step of the way.”

“When the hospital bills started coming in and what ever money that was coming in from the World Trade Center fund was put into a transplant fund. It’s used for all her hospital stays and, Mom puts anything extra into it. She has gone into debt trying to keep up with the hospital plus the regular bills. It was while she was in the hospital Brianna got really turned onto your band. She found out that you were going to be playing in San Diego in August. Tickets were already sold out, but Kenny worked his magic and got some backstage passes.”

Bob knew exactly where this was going. They cancelled the show and Brianna never saw them.

“Kenny saw the disappointment and hurt in Brianna’s eyes when they made the announcement, ‘Due to unforeseen circumstances My Chemical Romance will not be appearing today. They send their deepest apologies and hope to make it up to their fans.’ The rumor was you all got into a car accident. I chalked it up to drunk driving.”

“W-w-w-we tried so h-h-h-hard to play that day.”

“I believe you.”

Bob moved further back against the wall and spread is legs and pulled Sam to sit between them. He held her around the waist as she leaned against his chest. He whispered in her ear, “Thank you”, then kissed the top of her head. He whispered again in her ear, “Go on”, as his hands made it up her shoulders and he squeezed them.

“Kenny knows a lot of people and scored tickets to the Albany concert in early September. He didn’t go that time and my mother insisted on paying their way with the last of her savings. My sister was so happy that she was finally going to meet you guys. Especially after what happened in San Diego, she wanted to make sure that you guys were okay. She burst into tears when they announced that you had to cancel again.”

“Allentown, the show was in Allentown.”

“Really I thought it was in Albany?”

“Allentown or Syr-r-r-racuse.”

“Kenny kept telling me that, but I kept on insisting Albany. I guess he finally gave up arguing with me.”

“The hospital stays were getting longer and the funds were dwindling rapidly. We started having fund raisers and such but the money wasn’t coming in fast enough. Months passed and we were no where near having the funds for the transplant. My sister was getting weaker and weaker. If you hadn’t the funds when the organs were available, you missed your chance. My sister has been passed over twice. I couldn’t let it happen again. It was then I came up with my plan. Kenny tried to stop me. He tried everything.”

“If you hadn’t noticed Kenny comes from a very wealthy family. He has a trust fund with a shit load of money. He spent months in court trying to get at it. But it’s so iron clad that he wasn’t allowed to touch it until he was thirty. That’s two years from now. I don’t have two years. The only good thing is that it was written so his parents couldn’t touch it either after the family disowned him.”

“Why?”

“He fell in love with me and left his bride at the alter, embarrassing one of the richest families in the country. He begged each of his relatives for the money to help Brianna. They each refused him and then a few weeks later he saw them donating a huge pile of money at some gala. He hated them all, except Misty. She really tried to get his brother to help Kenny out, but in the end she failed. It’s because of her generosity that we are here.”

“I knew police procedure so well and was really well liked and respected by my peers. I was confident about getting away with it. Kenny took a leave of absence to be with me. I would never let him get involved with the actual robbery. I never wanted him to get arrested. He has such a huge talent it would just be wasted in jail.”

“During this time my sister made her dying wish to meet My Chemical Romance. We wrote the record label, websites anything we could to get a meeting. My heart broke for her when I saw you guys on that birthday party show. It was so fucking unfair that you guys show up there and not one simple hospital visit. It was then I really hated the band, especially you because you were her favorite. Something died in her that day. I felt her giving up. That robbery was going to be my last, I was one hundred thousand short so one big score. But I lost it they put a dye pack in it, at that point all I knew was I needed to get home and be with Brianna. I really was going to let you go then I realized I had the drummer from that band I hated so much, all I wanted was to make part of my sister’s dream come true.”

Bob put his arms around her and just held her as she started to really cry. It was a huge release for Sam to get it all off her chest.

“Let’s forg-g-g-get about anything bef-f-f-fore you found me in the w-w-w-woods.”

“Bob we can’t I put you through hell, I broke your nose.”

“It’s been broken b-b-b-before.”

Sam stood up and leaned down and kissed the top of Bob’s head. “Thank you.”

She sat back down next to him, “How long do you think we’ve been in here?”

“Hour or so?”

“Fuck, Kenny told me to keep you in for only half an hour C’mon lets get you back upstairs under some warm blandest and something hot to drink. Kenny should be back real soon.”

Bob went to get up and felt really dizzy, Sam grabbed him before he fell back. They walked into the elevator and it’s coolness felt good. Sam pressed the button for BR, she was going to take Bob up to the Master Bedroom and try to light the fire in there. The elevator went up slowly and when it got between the LQ and BR levels they heard a loud noise and the elevator stopped violently, Bob crashed forward slamming his forehead against the wall and knocking him out. The elevator was dark except for one emergency light. There she saw Bob lying there unconscious with his head split open again.

“Please Bob, wake up,” Sam said as she kissed his forehead.
Sign up to rate and review this story