Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > To Save A Life

Rescued

by Moonshyne 2 reviews

Kenny saves the day, and then makes a very important phone call.

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Characters: Bob Bryar,Frank Iero,Gerard Way,Mikey Way,Ray Toro - Published: 2008-03-11 - Updated: 2008-03-12 - 2349 words - Complete

1Original
Sam sat in the corner of the elevator not knowing how much time had passed. It could have been only minutes, hours or days for all she knew. Bob still laid there unconscious but at least she had stopped the bleeding. She used the robe that she was now using to keep warm. It was covered with blood.

She looked over and saw that he was shivering twice and badly as she was. How could they not, it was so cold she could see their breath. She tried to keep Bob covered with both robes as long as possible, but finally she got too cold. She sat in the corner scrunched trying to keep as warm as possible.

Sam’s thoughts roamed to Kenny. Did he forget about them? Was he okay? Just as she felt sleep was about to take over her she heard a door slam. She got up slowly and with the last bit of energy she started banging on the door crying, “Help.”

Kenny walked through the house with nothing but a flashlight. He was hoping that Sam and Bob were already taken down the mountain but he didn’t see them among the evacuees. Every once in a while this happened but usually it was on the other side of the mountain. But this time the avalanche hit this side rendering the whole area powerless. It was maddening helping clear the resorts out and the local hospital couldn’t handle all the injuries. The ground was so unstable he had to convince an old friend, who was now a police officer, to let him go back. The guy was even nice enough to loan him his four wheel SUV.

Kenny was relieved that no one was there. He was silly for thinking they didn’t get out. He made his way to the master bedroom and noticed Fred’s bathing suit drawer was still open. He closed it and proceeded to go down stairs. He stepped on something soft; when he shone the light on it he realized that it was Bob’s clothes. Kenny ran through the house again checking everywhere. Then while checking the bedrooms again, he heard the faint banging on the elevator door. He put his ear up to the door and heard Sam’s faint cries of help. He thought he saw a crowbar in the back of the SUV.

“Baby,” he cried “I’ll be right back. Are you okay?”

“Kenny, please hurry!!!”

Kenny came back and was able to find the manual override to let the elevator down to the Living Quarters area. He took the crowbar and opened the first door and then the second.

Kenny was taken aback by the sight of Sam in the blood covered robe.

He held her tight, “Are you okay?”

She was shivering as she nodded her head yes.

“Where did all the blood come from?” He asked.

“Bob.”

Kenny almost forgot that there was someone else he was just so happy to have Sam in his arms again.

“Baby go get dressed we have to get out of here.”

While Sam ran upstairs to get changed, Kenny ran into the elevator.

He leaned over Bob, “Bob come on wake up.” He started tapping his face a little, “Bob c’mon wake up.”

Bob eye’s started to flutter, as he spoke hoarsely, “Kenny?”

“Can you get up?”

Kenny helped him to his feet and they slowly walked to the couch. Kenny found the thermometer and it was back to 89 degrees where it was when this whole night began. He was helping Bob get dressed when Sam came back down fully dressed. Kenny took her temperature and it was 95.2 degrees, which was lower than what he would like but knew it would be pretty easy to get her within the normal range.

“Let’s get your coats on and let’s get out of here? We’ll need to grab some blankets.”

“I’ll get them, they’re in the oven.” Sam went and got the couple of blankets that were still a tad warm from staying in there. She noticed the ring box on the counter and grabbed that too.

The drive down the mountain was fairly quick at a half hour. Kenny went to pull into the local hospital, but it was a mad house. He knew one of two things would happen. Bob wouldn’t get the care he needed and or he would be recognized. The last thing Bob wanted was to be recognized right now. Not because he was sick but he needed his loved ones to know first and not through some news outlet that he was at least alive. Kenny made a decision hoping it wouldn’t be one he would later regret. He figured by the time he was either seen here, or driven to the next hospital, which was at least two hours away; he could be in San Diego. They got to where the van was parked and switched cars. Kenny thanked his friend and then proceeded to make a phone call, “Hey Doug. How long before you can get that sweet little plane of yours ready for take off?”

“Great I’ll meet you at the airport in fifteen.”

“Where are we going?” asked Sam.

“San Diego. It’s the only place I know I can keep him hidden for awhile. I just hope I don’t kill him in the process.”

“I-I-I-I t-t-t-trust you.”

“Thanks Bob. Doug does Angel of Mercy flights so he’ll have some medical supplies onboard.” Kenny turned to Bob, “When we get in the air we’ll call your friends and tell them you’re on your way to San Diego, okay?”

Bob nodded his head yes.

Kenny went to the local coffee shop and got them all something to eat and drink for the plane ride. He really just wanted to get some hot fluids into Bob and Sam and he wanted a pick me up since he had been up all night.

They got to the private airport and there was a plane on the tarmac waiting for them. Doug saw Kenny helping someone wrapped in a blanket out of the van and went to help Kenny.

“This is my cousin Teddy,” said Kenny.

“He looks pretty bad, did he get caught in the avalanche?” asked Doug.

“Yeah.”

“Why you taking him all the way down to San Diego?” asked Doug.

“No insurance and all the hospitals around here are a mad house.”

They got him in and buckled for take-off. Doug radioed the small tower of their flight plan and then they took off.

“How you feeling babe?” Kenny asked Sam.

“So much better, it will be nice to get into the warm air of San Diego. It will be nice to see Brianna, too. How’s he doing?”

“I don’t know I hope I made the right decision. Once we’re at cruising altitude I’ll hook him up to some monitors, get some warm blankets and start an IV. Once I know he’s stabilized we’ll call his friends and family.”

Twenty minutes later, Bob was hooked up to heart and oxygen monitors, covered in warm blankets, and was getting fluids in him. Kenny put a pack of saline solution in the in the warmer with a couple of more blankets.

“Bob where’s your phone? I’ll start making some phone calls.”

Bob looked at Sam, who turned around and looked at Kenny. “Didn’t you grab it off the console?” asked Sam.

“No I was too busy helping Bob out? Why didn’t you grab it?”

“I was too busy in the back freezing my ass off.” Sam took her phone and gave it to Kenny. “I copied some of the numbers.”

Bob and Kenny looked at her with their eyes wide open. “I was gonna sell them, to get some money for Brianna.”

Kenny shook his head his girlfriend was quite the entrepreneur when she needed to be. He looked at the first phone number. It just said Frank he tried dialing, but it just went to voice mail. Next was Gerard, then Mikey and finally Ray. All the phones went directly to voice mail. Ken was just going to start at the beginning again and leave messages for all of them, when he noticed a peculiar name with a New Jersey area code. It said one word Jiggy. Kenny dialed the number hoping it was someone that could get him in touch with Bob’s friends or family. As he was dialing Kenny looked over at Bob, and he was out. Kenny hoped he could be easily aroused when they got to San Diego.


Gerard had left Geoff’s house a little over half hour ago. He just couldn’t sleep. It wasn’t the unfamiliar surroundings; he’s slept in an unfamiliar surrounding almost every night. The only really familiar surroundings were the tour bus. That will all end soon as they will be taking a long break, the question is when and will it be permanent. Gerard left because he needed to think. The press conference was a little over three hours away and he had no idea what he was going to say. All the news reports are stating that Bob was dead, even if that body wasn’t his. They’re all saying he’s been gone far too long and with no ransom to speak of, there can only be one conclusion. They were now entering day six of his disappearance.

Gerard thought of the tour coming up, could he ever sing “How I Disappear” or “Dead” again? Right now those songs were just too close to home. Did he really believe there was a chance for Bob to be alive? He was being strong for the rest of the band, who were taking the loss their own way. Ray has withdrawn inside himself, playing Ozzie Osbourne’s “Bark at the Moon”. It was a favorite of his and Bob’s for their Guitar Hero sessions. Mikey just wanted to be with Alicia and never let her out of his sight. Frankie was subdued, missing the foil to his antics. Gerard believed though they all missed Bob terribly, but Frank was taking it the hardest. Frank would never listen to reason. He would never accept that Bob could be dead until he had his body in front of him. And maybe, just maybe giving them all a little hope. Gerard sat down to write what was to be said when his back door opened, it was Mikey. A few seconds later walked in Frank and Ray. When they all sat down Gerard realized he didn’t really want to be alone. This was something the band had to do together.

Ray jumped when the phone rang he looked at the caller ID. “Do you know a Doug Fellows?”

Gerard shook his head no.

Frank grabbed the phone, “How the fuck did you get this number?”

Kenny on the other line asked, “Are you Jiggy?”

“No,” replied Frank.

“Can you get a message to My Chemical Romance? Tell them I’m with a friend of theirs and I’m taking him to San Diego.”

“What, can you repeat that?” Frank put it on speaker phone so they all could hear it.

“Can I ask who I’m talking to?” asked Kenny.

“I’m Frank.”

“I’m Ray.”

“I’m Mikey.”

“I’m Gerard.”

“So who’s Jiggy?”

Gerard looked at his band confused, “That’s me Gerard.”

“My name is Kenny I’m a doctor in San Diego.” Kenny looked at Sam as he was about to tell the biggest lie in his life. “Last night my girlfriend and I came across someone who was passed out in the snow. It’s your friend Bob Bryar. We’re on our way to UCSD Medical Center, I work there so I think I can keep him hidden for a while.”

“What exactly is UCSD?”

“Sorry University of California San Diego.”

“Is he okay?”

“I’m doing what I can for him. He’s been in and out of stage two and three hypothermia for the past twelve hours, he has a concussion and has lost a lot of blood. But I think he’ll be okay. I’ll feel better once we get to the hospital and he can be properly treated.”

“Can we speak to him?”

“He’s resting right now.”

“I’ll call you when we get to the hospital and I know more about his condition.”

“Thanks,” said Gerard.


With that Kenny hung up. He took a deep breath. He had never told a lie this big in his life. But it’s what Bob wanted. He didn’t want anything to happen to himself or Sam.


Back in New Jersey, “We’re not going to sit here and wait for that phone call, are we?” asked Frank with a grin.

“Fuck no,” smiled Gerard.

Gerard took out his phone and called Lyn-z and told her the news. He also told her how they were going to be flying out as soon as possible and keep it under wraps. While Gerard was on the phone with his wife, Ray was on the phone with Brian.

“Do you think we can use that jet again?”

“I guess. You guys have that press conference in three hours.”

“Postpone it.”

“What’s going on?”

“We need to go to San Diego.”

“What for?”

Ray knew he was stringing Brain along but he really wanted to surprise him. Ray knew Brian had taken this really hard. He’s known Bob the longest. Back when he was tour managing for The Used he helped them hire Bob.

“We want to know first hand if Bob is really okay?”

“You found Bob?”

“He’s on his way to a hospital in San Diego. And as soon as you can get that plane ready, so are we. Brian mums the word for now.”
Sign up to rate and review this story