Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > Just For the Attention

A Step Closer To Hell

by silencing 1 review

An incident throws everything out of balance

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Humor - Published: 2008-03-25 - Updated: 2008-03-26 - 2362 words - Complete

0Unrated
A/n- So pretty much the greatest timing ever. HAPPY PANIC DAY EVERYONE! Good news...I quit my job so I now have more time to write. Awesomeness right. So here's how this is going to work, I'm using some of Pretty. Odd. Like the two songs referenced in this chapter and what I find that fits my vision. I'm also keeping the title of the album, because basically....it's amazing. So yea, not too big of a deal. Keep sending in those questions for the performers and the band, I'll be using them in the next chapter.

Reviews will be given a trophy for pure awesomeness. KTHXBYE

*

Two days later, it seemed that a sort of calm had settled over the tour, which should have been an indicator of things to come.
This however was not the case, seeing as how Ryan had somehow managed to find a balance between the two girls. On top of this, Danielle and Brendon had settled comfortably enough into their relationship to be less affectionate in other people's company, allowing a reconciliation between Nikol and Dani.
So really, someone should have seen it coming...both the incident and the events that followed, but no one gave a second thought as they took the stage that night.
The show started normally with the spectacular reveal of the dancers during 'We're So Starving', which launched straight into the boisterous 'Nine in the Afternoon'. All of Nikol's performances were back on par, and people were flitting on and off the stage with practised ease. After what seemed like no time at all, Danielle's number was up and she took the stage with style.
The beginning of the set went flawlessly, and she felt completely at ease in Brendon's arms during their dance and never would have expected what he did next. Right after the dance ended, she would pick up two batons and continue on as if she had never stopped, pulling off an easy but impression successive release trick to the lyric: “I'm a diva”.
This trick involved releasing multiple time out of her right hand and holding her left parallel to the ground to keep it out of the way. It was that hand that Brendon grabbed, catching Dani completely off guard when he quickly pressed his lips to her knuckles during the pause between lines.
The second she had felt his hand take hers, her head had snapped sideways, shock written across her face. Her mouth had fallen open when he had kissed her, and then she suddenly remembered that there were batons in the air. The moment she turned her head upward and the one where the baton finished its decent were one in the same, and there was no time to prepare as one of the batons caught her on the face. She turned backwards to duck from the other baton, clutching at her nose and she faintly registered the sound of the stick hitting the stage as she noticed the extensive amount of blood that was collecting in her palms.
The music abruptly stopped as each player noticed what had happened. Brendon was (obviously) the first to her side as everyone else abandoned their instruments before rushing over. Spencer had had the insight to grab one of their sweat towels on his way down, which he pressed securely onto her face as soon as he reached her.
Before anyone else had made it there however, Brendon had managed to get in some semblance of an apology, “Oh my God. Danielle are you okay?”
Danielle looked up at him, trying to hold back the tears that automatically appear when you bash your face in, “I'm bleeding like a fucking volcano, Brendon, how the hell could I be okay?”
He just stared at her, shocked at the anger that accompanied these words, but before he could compose himself enough to respond, his band mates were there pressing cloths onto her face.
Brendon took the towel from Spence's outstretched hand which had landed it across her entire face.
“You're smothering her,” he said as he bundled it up more carefully, then reached under her bent knees and almost effortlessly picked her up and started off the stage. Danielle protested that she could walk on her own, but he continued and didn't set her down until he found a chair backstage.
People were trickling out of the dressing rooms, having noticed the weird silence of the stage. Nikol, who had been waiting in the wings for her friend's exit (the planned one that lacked the involvement of blood) gasped when she saw Brendon carrying her, and rushed to sit next to her, sending the closest dancer to fetch ice.
The band was now congregated around their injured friend, looking worried and confused.
“What the hell happened?”
“It's my fault,” Brendon said, managing to work worry, guilt and sadness into three words, “I distracted her and she got hit.”
Nikol restrained herself from whacking Brendon upside the head,trying to ignore how stupid he had just been. She didn't though, instead focusing on taking care of her friend, her well being was more important than Nikol's loss of temper.
"Look, she has to get to the Hospital and get looked at, and," she said accentuating the word with a stern glare, "You have to get back on stage and finish your show. Get cleaned up, fix that mess and play on. I'll get us there and back as soon as possible."
The boys stood there unable to move. They didn't know how to react to Nikol's suddenly demanding personality, but one very icy glare sent them moving and they bolted out onto stage to announce a momentary intermission. While they did that, Nikol got to her feet and ushered Dani to a car outside, leaving everyone stunned in her wake.

*

Despite the fact that they had rushed to the nearest hospital as fast as the speed limit would allow, they were still stuck waiting there by the time the show ended.
There were two reasons for this. One, the waiting room was full of people in various states of pain, and Danielle landed kind of far down that list. The second reason was a bit more dire and the main cause of their delay. It seemed that in their panic and rush the two girls had forgotten to grab any kind of ID or insurance cards. So even though the hospital personnel had consented to putting Dani on the waiting list, they refused to do anything else until they had some hard pieces of plastic sitting in their hands.
So there they sat for over an hour in hard chairs feeling incredibly uncomfortable whenever their costumes received a questioning or disproving glance.
Finally the boys rushed into the room and Nikol couldn't help but notice Ryan's absence. As the boys hurried over, Brendon carrying Danielle's faded Union Jack wallet carefully in his hand, she suppressed the urge the inquire into his whereabouts, instead taking the wallet and ushering Dani to where the nurse was waiting.
After signing her life away, Danielle returned to sit next to and blatantly ignore her boyfriend while continuing to bleed all over a paper towel.
“So how are you feeling?” he asked cautiously at the look on her face.
“Like a heard of elephants are using my head to run a bloody marathon,” she said with a biting tone.
He was a bit taken aback by her anger, not fully understanding why she was suddenly mad when he seen her laughing with Nikol when he had walked it. Besides this, he was unexposed to how she got when angry and hadn't been prepared to deal with it.
Nikol shook her head and opted not to sit down with them to avoid the drama that was bound to ensure considering how angry Dani was. Instead she sat next to Jon and Spencer who were pretending they didn't notice that two teenage girls in the corner were eyeing them
Before she could get a word in though, Danielle was called back by one of the nurses, and Brendon moved to join his friends.
“Well...she's pissed,” he said as he sat.
“To say the least,” Nikol agreed.
“And that would be because?”
“Oh...she'll tell you in her own time,” she said cryptically before abruptly changing the subject, “So where exactly is Ryan?”
“Well that was subtle,” Jon laughed.
“Yea well,” Nikol said as a blush spread quickly across her cheeks.
“He's off fighting with Keltie,” Brendon said in an upset voice.
Nikol looked extremely intrigued but refrained from prying. Thankfully Jon filled in the rest of the story for her.
“Apparently Ryan really wanted to come here and see how Dani was doing, and Keltie just started going off at him.”
“About what?” Nikol prompted.
“Mostly that she didn't know 'that baton girl, and didn't really care'. Then she started bitching about wanting to go to some club before she left the tour, then stormed off the bus to change or something. Then he followed her, but didn't look happy at all so we took off before anything else started. And also because Bden was overly anxious to get here.”
“With good reason,” he whined defensively.
“I hate to point it out Bren, you were more eager to see her than her you,” Spencer said.
“Can it, Spence,” Brendon demanded, clearly upset.
The conversation died off then, each one of them lost somewhere in their thoughts.
After a minute of uncomfortable silence, Nikol bounced up out of her chair, aimed at the nurse's station. After a minute of deliberation they conceded to letting her back to see her friend and the boys were left alone ad mist an incredibly awkward silence and the stares of the pair of girls.

*

By the time the girls emerged from the back, the boys had been forced into signing autographs for and taking pictures with the girls once they had finally gotten up the courage to approach them. They had tried to protest that it was a fairly inappropriate time, but they had been persistent until the boys gave in.
Danielle's smile immediately faded into a scowl when she was greeted by the sight of some girl fawning over her boyfriend. With as mad as she was at him, this was definitely not something she wanted to be seeing. She tried to calm herself as she announced their presence.
“So does anyone else desperately want to get out of here?”
The boys looked at her then, three sets of eyes focusing on her nose.
“Nice Bindi!” Spencer commented, making both girls laugh obnoxiously loud. The doctor had decided to glue the wound shut instead of stitching it since it wasn't in an area of high tension. Since the wound had still been bleeding when she applied the glue, it had pooled out to settle as a small red dot on her nose. Nikol had made the comment that if she had been hit any higher she would have ended up with a pretty awesome bindi, but it was no longer impressive since it was all droopy. So it seemed pretty much the funniest thing that Spencer's brain had gone that route too.
The boys exchanged a look of confusion while the girls settled down, and made their way outside to the car. Brendon fell in step with Dani, and placed his hand on the small of her back as a way to comfort her, but she just shook out of his reach and quickened her pace, reaching the car first. This attempt to put distance between the two of them was fruitless once they reached the car and Brendon maneuvered his way into the seat next to her. She continued to ignore him as he continued to try getting her attention, finally succeeding with a delicate whisper at her ear.
“What's wrong? Why are you mad at me?”
She glared at him, “You wouldn't want to know.”
“Obviously if I'm asking I sure as hell want to know. Will you please tell me what's going on?”
Without hesitation she reeled on him, staring him down.
“Where do I start, Brendon?” she said, her voice raising slightly in pitch, “Well on the one hand, there is one thing that a performer can't do, and that's mess up. Not in public and especially not during a performance. It degrades a person, embarrasses them. This was something that was beyond embarrassing. I would have been devastated if this happened during a practise or something, but on stage in front of thousands? How the hell can I ever go out there again?”
Brendon tried to cut her off, wanting to insist that she had no reason to be upset about the accident. That it was his fault, which he had made it abundantly clear when they had gone back on stage that night, but Danielle had only paused momentarily to take a breath before ripping into him again.
“But most importantly...you just revealed our relationship to the public on your terms, after we had agreed to keep it quiet for awhile until be we were comfortable being the spotlight. Now everyone knows about us, and I'm going to be scorned for this. I can't believe you would be this reckless about something this important to me.”
She stopped, trying to fight back tears as she said this to him. She stopped talking, deciding instead to look out the window as an uncomfortable silence settled in the car. Shortly after the end of her tirade the car pulled up to the venue where the buses were waiting to depart, everything being a little bit off schedule due to their side trip to the hospital. As soon as the car had stopped, she flung open the door and headed straight for the performer's bus, and Nikol followed shortly behind, leaving the boys with an apologetic glance.

*

a/n- So there ya go. PLEASE REVIEW!!!! And leave me questions, and join my Yahoo! Group: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/justfortheattention/ (just ignore the age limit thing, I don't know why that's there....)
Sign up to rate and review this story