Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > Just For the Attention

Douse the Lights

by silencing 1 review

A couple problems are solved

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Humor - Published: 2008-04-01 - Updated: 2008-04-01 - 3187 words - Complete

0Unrated
a/n- well hell. It's a week later and here's another chapter. I blame 'Nik' for this, she wrote most of it for me. The middle scene is really the only thing I can truly claim. The first part was my idea, she just wrote it, and the whole last scene is all her doing....so thanks.
For the record, I'm not using the entirety of Pretty. Odd. just the songs that would fit a performance type of show like WSS, 9ITA and TGG for starters. The other songs are incredible, but don't really fit....maybe MAR...
So yes, a huge contest and less stress later, here's a chapter for you. And also, for everyone's knowledge, that incident in the last chapter really happened to me. I bled all over my teacher, almost ended up with two black eyes and had a headache for days on end. It was not fun.

REVIEWERS GET A TROPHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*

The next few days had gone smoother, but things between Danielle and Brendon were still rather awkward. Nikol had attempted to get them to talk, but Danielle refused to bud. She eventually gave up and focused instead on her slight guilt over spending time with Ryan. She was enjoying it immensely, they had taken a couple photo trips, where they did more photography than talking, but it was rather therapeutic. Unfortunately she was left later with the feeling that she was driving a wedge between him and Keltie.
She was trying hard to ignore this feeling, instead focusing on cheering her friend up. Danielle had been in a rut since 'the incident'. She was timid and withdrawn on stage, and Nikol had absolutely no new ideas as to how to get her back on her feet. Even worse than that was the looming panel interview they had the next day when they finally reached New York City. It was going to be a huge event, covered by numerous magazines, papers and various TV networks, about the tour, the performers and the band. If Dani wasn't back on her feet soon, the whole thing would be a disaster.
Abandoning an attempt to snap her out of her funk by using various references to old ASU comedy sketches (these received the faintest of smiles), the girls instead took to the stage at the venue to warm up. Dani chose her normal spot up front by the edge of the stage, and old habit from when Brendon used to sit in the front row and cheer her on. He now either avoided the performer's practises, or lurked in the shadows looking desperate to talk to her. Nikol took up an empty spot by the piano and went about stretching, trying not to worry too much about that which she couldn't control.
Nikol had finally finished her stretching when Ryan had decided to make his grand entrance into the venue. She was acutely aware of his presence, especially since he had shown up earlier than routine dictated. She shook her head, trying to focus, and went about playing around on a chair that had been left haphazardly on stage. She had one foot perched on the back of the chair, and the other on the seat, balancing herself to attempt to bring the other foot over and completely balance off the back of the chair. The ultimate plan was to flip backwards out of the position in a handstand, but she didn't make it that far when she heard Ryan's opening statement.
“Keltie's gone....I broke it off,” he said quietly from on top of a chair in the audience area. Close by, Spencer and Jon were talking about something, and Brendon was once again throwing glances at Danielle, but everyone's attention quickly focused on Ryan when he spoke.
Nikol quickly lost her balance as she turned her head towards him in reflex, and fell off the chair loudly, landing in a heap of tangled legs and wild red curls. Scrambling to her feet and righting the chair, she quickly launched herself off the front of the stage, ignoring the screaming off her injured ankle, and hurried to Ryan's side.
“What do you mean?” she said, tentatively, speaking in an almost hushed tone, though everyone in the room was listening and they both knew it.
He took a deep breath, “Well she was going to be leaving the tour anyway, and everything was so sketchy...I just told her it wasn't working, and that it was over. She took off almost immediately, pretty furious. I feel terrible.”
Nikol couldn't conceal her shock, not having seen this coming at all. She grabbed his hand carefully, and helped him off the chair that he was still (awkwardly) standing on, and wrapped him in a hug. She ignored the fluttering of her heart as he held her close, and the joy that she felt at the news and tried to focus on comforting her friend. All eyes in the room darted away from them quickly, to give privacy to the intimate moment. It was at that moment that Dani finally allowed herself a good look at Brendon, and the emotion in his eyes practically broke her heart.
*
That night, after the performance was all done (including another long meet and greet), the band and their performers were treated to another night in the local hotel, something they all preferred immensely over the uncomfortable small beds of the buses. Nikol had ushered Danielle to their room since her friend was still stuck in a zombie sort of state like she had been since the night of her injury. She had promised Ryan that she would stop by later, when Dani had finally drifted off, but wanted to make sure that her best friend was okay.
Danielle put very little effort into getting ready for bed, just donning an over-sized t-shirt from some random contest she had once been at, and stepped into her favourite pair of sweats from her college days. After brushing her teeth and downing a pill for her headache, she crawled into bed silently, clutching at one of the pillows like it was her lifeline.
Nikol watched all of this with great concern. It was totally unlike her friend to go about any kind of activity with at least a little bit of vitality to it. These past few days it had been like watching a ghost walk around in the corporeal form of her friend. She was just about to say something to her when a sharp knock at the door caused her to jump about a foot in the air.
Danielle rolled over slightly to question her friend, “Who is it?”
Nikol sighed and went to check, and a worried look crossed her face when she saw the lead singer of Panic looking extremely nervous and fidgety in the hallway.
“It's Brendon,” she finally replied. “Did you want me to tell him to leave you alone?” again? she added silently in her mind. This wasn't Brendon's first attempt to see his girlfriend to try to talk to things out. Normally Danielle would just reply with a hollow: Yes, and Nik would crack the door and politely tell Brendon that Dani wasn't feeling so well or some other useless piece of bullshit. They both knew the truth, Danielle was still holding some kind of crazy grudge against him and was too angry to even listen to his explanation.
This time was different though. Danielle rolled over fully, sitting halfway up in the bed, and looking at the door.
“No, let him in.”
Nikol was taken aback by this change in response and it took a minute for her to compose herself enough to open the door and usher Brendon in. She quickly whispered something in his ear, and then disappeared through the door before it ever had a chance to close.
Brendon stood next to the door, slightly stunned that she had let him in. It took him a minute, but he sensed something was different about her tonight. Maybe something about the morning's occurrences, or what happened at the meet and greet, or something else entirely, but whatever had changed her mind and allowed him entry was a godsend for him. He took another step into the room and quietly addressed her.
“So I wanted to see how you were --” he cut off his sentence when she held up a hand, signaling him to stop, “Okay...” he said under his breath and back traced the bold step he had taken toward her.
She looked down for a second before she looked up and met his eyes with a solid gaze, “Before you say anything, I need to know something,” a pause, “Was it intentional?”
He blinked rapidly for a second before answering her, “Was what intentional?”
“When you kissed my hand on stage. Was it an intentional decision that you made that night before going on stage? Did you know you were going to do that during our performance and expose our relationship to the world?” her voice raised slightly as she said this, and when she stopped talking she looked down and tried to get a hold of herself.
Brendon stood still for a moment then walked toward the bed, taking a cautious seat next to her, and reaching for her hand, “Of course not. It just felt...natural...right. I had no idea it would break your focus, and I'm not even sure why I did it...I just wanted you to feel how much I care I guess.”
Danielle was looking at their hands while he said this, and for a moment they just sat in silence, his words hanging in the air. Finally she looked up at him, and could see the compassion written all over his normally silly features. She gave a small cry and flung her arms around him, knocking him onto his back on the bed. She held on tightly, as his arms returned the embrace, squeezing her tightly, but gently. After a moment, she pulled back from the warmth of his chest and looked at him with a completely serious face.
“That's all I needed to know. Brendon, I'm so sorry. I've been acting like the Bitch Queen From Hell towards you for the past few days for absolutely no reason, because all you were doing was being the most adorable boyfriend ever, and I'm such a terrible person and you deserve better than me and --”
While she had been speaking, Brendon had reached up and brushed the hair that was hanging like a curtain over her face behind her ears. Finally when her rambling had started to get ridiculous, he simply leaned up and cut her off in his own, more effective way, firmly fixing his lips to hers. He shifted slightly and they were on their sides, arms roaming freely over the other, enjoying the feeling of the other after so many days of being apart. Finally Brendon pulled back, and stared into her eyes, trying to mask his lust.
“So would you mind if I stayed? I don't think Nikol's coming back anytime soon, especially if she thinks it's a war zone in here.”
Danielle just kissed him again, letting it last a little longer than it need too, before breaking for air and to give her response, “I wanted to ask, but I didn't want to impose at all after how I treated you. But seriously, you don't know how much I've missed you these last few days. So yes, please stay.”
Brendon smiled and sat up, assisting her in doing the same. He pulled back the sheets, which they had managed to muss up from rolling over them for quite awhile, and slipped inside, pulling her after him. She situated herself against his warm chest, just enjoying the things she had missed about him over the last couple days. Finally she decided to break the silence.
“So why were you even trying so hard to get me to talk you? I was being ridiculous and completely unfair to you. I don't see why you would want to come back to that.”
Brendon sighed and placed a gentle kiss at the base of her neck, “You can't help who you love,” he said quietly and moved to kiss her again. Much to his surprise she pulled back sharply and stared at him, completely shocked.
“What was that?”
Brendon smiled and leaned over to kiss her fully before answering her question, “I said that I love you Danielle. I can't help it and I don't want to.”
Tears had sprung to Dani's eyes at his words, and he looked at her, suddenly worried.
“What's wrong Dani?”
She smiled, wiping at her eyes, and somehow managed a response, “I don't know if I can say it that eloquently, but I love you too, Brendon.”
He grinned, full of energy all of a sudden, and leaned over her to click off the light, which left them in the privacy of the dark. They had never actually discussed a physical relationship at any point over the past month, but suddenly both of their bodies were on fire, and hands were roaming freely having been released by the words exchanged and the desire a person feels after being away from someone so long. A hand tugged on a shirt, one slipped under a waist band, and they never stopped exchanging sentiments as the two ventured further into their relationship together.
*
After leaving the two to talk Nikol headed in the general direction of Ryan (and Brendon's) room, first stopping at the cafe to pick up comfort foods and hot chocolate complete with floating marshmallows. She stepped onto the elevator and chose the floor where she knew Ryan was sharing the single queen bedroom with Brendon. This stop of the tour was very brief, and there weren't many hotels to choose from, so they had all ended up two to a bed in single rooms. This was a little concerning considering she had just left her bed in the middle of a war zone. Hopefully nothing too bad would happen in her absence though. She reached Ryan's room quicker than she expected, having been completely lost in her thoughts. She carefully balanced everything on one arm and reached up to knock on his door loudly.
As soon as he cracked the door (taking longer than she liked considering her ankle was screaming in agony after she had been on it all night), she slipped right in, not even allowing a greeting first mostly because she didn't have a room to go back to at the moment, but also because she knew he was likely to ask for time to himself when she knew he needed company. When he finally shut the door she greeted him with one of her contagious smiles, and gestured to the food she had placed on the desk by the door.
“So I hate to interrupt...whatever you were doing, but I did promise to come by. That and your little friend ran off to talk to mine, who actually let him and I wanted to avoid the resulting fireworks. But I did bring bribery,” she smiled again and took a seat on the bed, holding onto her cup of cocoa and looking tentative.
Ryan stood still for a moment still stunned by her sudden appearance and announcement, and also the tiny part of him that was overjoyed to see her. She was beaming it was catching, and soon his own smile spread reluctantly across his face. He walked towards her grabbing the cup she had left for him and one of the pieces of candy lying on the couch before joining her on the bed. He gestured to the box lying on the floor and her eyes lit up.
“Super Mario Smash Brothers! Win!” she said and slid to the floor, grabbing one controller and setting her drink aside. She passed the other controller to him up on the bed and he gladly took it, and they started a new game, which turned into hours of entertainment. At some point, Nikol ended up with her back resting against Ryan's legs which were dangling off the bed, but since he never moved to adjust this, she just enjoyed the feeling of being close to him.
They played the game over a light exchange of stories, Nikol determined to get the boy to laugh. Once she was successful they ended up abandoning the game all together and just talking and laughing until the point where they were both crying. Soon enough it was over an hour later, and she realized that if Brendon hadn't come back yet something must be wrong.
She stood up reluctantly, “I'm going to go check on them and hope my hotel room's not destroyed,” she said and gave him a hug before heading out the door slowly. She trudged her way down the hall towards the elevator, still wanting nothing more than to go back and spend time with Ryan. It was almost like a drug for her, the more she got the more she wanted.
When she made it to her room, two floors down, she was greeted by sounds that she hadn't expected to be hearing. Instead of yelling and bickering or the awkward silences of fighting, she heard more of the sounds of someone enjoying themselves immensely. She scowled as she turned from the door, her green eyes flashing with anger at losing somewhere to stay that night. She paced the hallway thinking of what she could do...crash a dancer's room, sleep in the lobby, interrupt. All of these sounded absolutely horrible. It was a few minutes later that she came upon the idea of imposing on Ryan for the night. She headed back towards the elevator, and was knocking on his door in record time.
He opened the door, and was clearly surprised to see her looking flustered on the other side. He stepped aside to let her in and waited patiently for her explanation.
“So...they're getting along great,” she said, dripping the last word with large amounts of undertone. It didn't take long for Ryan to catch up with her mental image and he started to laugh, which was rather infectious.
“I'm sorry you had to hear that, Bden gets overenthusiastic on occasion, I can only imagine what that was like.”
“Not pleasant. So I'm crashing here, and you're just going to have to deal with it,” she said aiming at the bed. Exhaustion had suddenly set in after such a long day of ups and downs. She practically dove into the bed, and scooted all the way across it, leaving room for her friend. Ryan stood where he had been the whole time, smiling at her boldness, before crossing the room and joining her, feeling a bit beyond tired himself.

*

Post A/n-Hope you enjoyed it, PLEASE REVIEW and join:
****http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/justfortheattention/****
(and ignore the adult only warning on it, I don't know why it's there...)
Sign up to rate and review this story