Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > His Mentality Is Strained On Friendship

Chapter Three

by inkvent 3 reviews

Chapter three, Ryan's POV

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Romance - Published: 2008-04-03 - Updated: 2008-04-03 - 865 words - Complete

0Unrated
I got the call during school.

It was during lunch break.

I had been sitting on my bench, on my own, as usual. No one bothers me there.

My mobile had rung. I had already suspected who it would be. It was the receptionist.

“Yeah? How’s he doing?” I asked as soon as I picked it up.

“Oh, Ryan…you made me jump, answering the phone like that…” She stammered. She sounded worried, which made me worried. “Well, the doctors say to leave coming in for another day. Then we’ll be sure your father’s ok. Alright?”

I stopped breathing. The phone was about to break; I was holding it so tightly.

“Yeah, that’s fine. I’ll leave it for another day.” I told her. I tried to sound reassuring, but my voice came out a dead, toneless drone.

“Are you ok Ryan?” She asked me. Her voice sounded so concerned, it sounded strange.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Just fine.” To my horror and disbelief, my voice cracked on the last word and I hastily put down the phone.

I held my head in my hands and shook slightly. I wasn’t going to cry. Not me. Not again.

Suddenly, I heard someone approaching. I looked up quickly to see the new boy from my class coming closer to me.

I knew it. I knew the look on his face when he’d first seen me. He was going to be one of those people. A person who would take one look at me and think they need to be with me, all the time.

He sat down on the bench next to me. The way he walked, the way he moved, was full of happiness. He constantly looked happy, with a stupid smile wiped across his face.

“Ryan right?” He said as he sat down. I sighed. This was going to be a very long day.

“Yeah. Who told you my name?” I asked, I had to keep him talking; I didn’t want him to find out much about me.

“This girl from our class. You know the blonde one? With blue eyes?” His voice was starting to annoy me. How could he be so happy?

“Yeah.” I kept my answer short.

“Are you ok?” He asked me. His voice changed so suddenly. It startled me. For the first time, I turned and looked at his face.

He had huge, round, dark brown eyes, which at that moment were wide with concern. He had the most exquisite lips I had ever seen; they wouldn’t be out of place on a model’s face.

Wait. What? What was I thinking?

I looked away slowly, careful not to arouse his suspicion.

“Ryan? Are you ok?” He asked again.

“I’m fine ok? Stop asking me that.” I glanced back at his face, to see that he once again had a huge grin on his face.

“You’re Brendon right?” I asked. What? Why was I engaging him in conversation?

“You remembered my name?” He asked, now his face was twisted into an expression of awe.

“Yeah. So?” I tried to sound casual. It didn’t really work. I just ended up sounding completely bored with the situation.

“No reason.” Brendon snapped. He sounded completley defensive, which added to my suspicion that he liked me. “It’s just that, that kind of thing, matters to me a bit.” As he said that, his voice had become quiet and I couldn’t help but look at him.

His face was turned down; he was staring at the floor. I took a moment to study his hair. Like mine, it was a chocolaty colour. I could tell that it usually was a nice style, but today it was windswept and untidy. I guessed he had been running.

“Ryan?” He asked quietly, his voice was small and scared. “Um…well…this is going to sound really stupid but…would you be my friend?” I was shocked. Why did he ask that? Why did someone want to be friends with me?

Somehow, when he asked that, I felt a small part of me become happy. To my surprise, I felt the corner of my mouth lift slightly, in a half smile.

“Yeah. I’ll be your friend.” I felt slightly stupid saying those words, it was something 5 year olds say, but it didn’t really matter.

What happened next was the most sudden thing that had happened to me in a long time.

I had been staring at his sad, down-turned face, and then I was staring at his chest.

He had jumped on me. His arms were around me in a strange kind of hug. It felt strange, to be hugged. I hadn’t been hugged in years. By anyone, never mind some guy I had just met.

When he pulled away, I saw that the smile was back on his face.

“Thank you Ryan!” He chirped happily.

“Yeah. Ok.” I replied. My voice still sounded dead. Even though I didn’t feel dead at that moment.

“Oh, one more thing, will you come over to my place tonight?” He asked, and my eyes widened.
Sign up to rate and review this story