Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Return of the Boy Who Lived

Chapter Two

by red_jacobson 4 reviews

Neville learns a few things, and meets Harry Potter!

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Published: 2008-04-06 - Updated: 2008-04-06 - 1778 words - Complete

5Original
The Return of the Boy Who Lived 2/?




Rating: Teen/PG-13




Summary: After the final battle, the Boy Who Lived is transported back into his 11 year old body, just prior to receiving his Hogwarts Letter. Sound like every re-do fic you've ever read? It is, except for one minor detail; the Boy Who Lived is named Neville Longbottom!




Disclaimer: Is this really necessary? I don't own any of the Harry Potter Characters or settings.




Pairings: None to start, come on; they're 11 years old! Will eventually be Neville/Ginny, and Harry/Hermione.




Authors Note: This is another plot bunny that has been biting on my toes, and hopefully I can get it out of the way and get moving on my other stories.




Feedback: Of course, it helps me write faster.




Chapter Two




Immediately After the Last Chapter




Folding up the letter, Neville carefully burned it; and mixed the ashes in with the soil he was using for planting. “Wouldn't want anybody else reading that, would we Fawkes?” Not getting a response, he turned and saw that the Phoenix had left already. “Guess you wanted to get back home, can't say as I blame you.”




Pulling out the pots and seedlings he was going to be working with; he started working, the tasks coming to him automatically; as his hands did their magic, the way they had so many times in the past, when it seemed that the Greenhouses offered the only respite from the chaos that was his life. Of course, he also smiled at the memory of times he and Ginny had spent in a back corner of Greenhouse Three. The smile faded as he remembered the last time he had seen her, lying dead with her hands around Lucius Malfoy's throat.




Shaking himself, Neville snarled to himself; “That's not going to happen this time! If I have to kill him myself, Nobody is going to be possessed by that Diary!” Pausing, he said; “Okay; I've been given this chance to change things, I'm not going to muck it up! Now, what do I need to do first? Damn it; I wish Hermione were here, she was always better at planning things.” He chuckled, “Okay; if she were here right now, she'd think I was some kind of lunatic kidnapper, since she hasn't even started Hogwarts yet. So, no Hermione for right now, I'll have to muddle through on my own. First thing I need to do is figure out what I'm going to change.”




Finishing up his planting; Neville straightened up his work area and went to wash up. As he was cleaning; he happened to glance at his face in the mirror and froze. Taking another look, he raised a trembling hand to his forehead. The scar was gone! The jagged lighting bolt that he had worn since that horrible night when he lost his parents had disappeared, he couldn't see where it had ever been there.




“Okay; I know that scar was there my first time through, so either I need to see an Eye Healer, or something is drastically different here.”




Putting it aside, as something to think about later, Neville finished his cleaning and went back up to the house. His Gran was out, Dilly told him, and would be back later that afternoon. Glad he had the house to himself, he went up to the library and quickly found the book he was looking for, “A Twentieth Century History of the Dark Arts”. Paging toward the back of the book, he found the section on Voldemort's first rise, and everything seemed to be the same, until he came to October 31st, 1981.




'Harry Potter is the Boy Who Lived? Oh, that poor bastard! Well, that explains where my scar went to, anyway. I wonder how much this changed him, growing up without his parents; he was a good friend before, I hope we can be friends this time around, he's going to need help, even if he doesn't realize it. I just have to make sure he doesn't get a big head, the way I did when I started at Hogwarts. It would have made things a lot easier if I had let Harry and Hermione help me out going against Quirrell, at least I got my head out of my arse after that!'




Pulling out some parchment; and casting privacy charms, 'this will be much easier when I finally get a wand,'he mused, Neville started writing down the key events that need to be changed to keep Voldemort from returning to life, or, failing that, to keep him from gaining power the way he had the last time.




It was several hours later when he finally finished, having barely taken the time to eat dinner. Augusta noticed that her grandson seemed distracted, but chocked it up to excitement about his birthday and worry about receiving his Hogwarts letter. Little did she know that his birthday was the furthest thing from Neville's mind.




Neville's birthday brought, as it always did, visits and gifts from his Aunts and Uncles, as well as cards from people his Grandmother knew. It wasn't till after cake had been served, that a majestic owl swooped down and left Neville with his Hogwarts letter.




After all the guests had left, Neville discovered another thing that had changed in this world, when his Grandmother took him to St Mungo's to visit his parents. It took everything he had not to totally lose control at seeing his parents for the first time in 10 years, they had been killed the same night he got his scar. It was only by forcing his anguish down to the depths of his being that he was able to get through the agonizing visit. From what little he could find out by listening to the conversations around him; his parents had suffered long term effects from being tortured by Death Eaters right after Voldemort fell. He made a note of the names mentioned when the Healers thought he wasn't listening; and made plans for revenge on the LeStrange family as well as Crouch Jr; assuming he still taught during his 4thyear.




The rest of the Summer was extremely busy getting everything ready for school, the only point of contention between Neville and his Grandmother was that she wanted him to use his father's wand, while Neville was insistent on getting one that was suited specifically for him. He told her that he knew she wanted him to honor his father by using the wand, but said that he could honor him better by being the best Wizard he could possibly be, and that meant using a wand that was suited to him. It took some doing, but eventually she agreed, and they made a trip to Ollivanders.




At one point during their day in Diagon Alley; Neville saw Hagrid escorting a small, badly dressed boy who could only be Harry Potter, they were going into Flourish and Blots Bookstore, so Neville made an excuse to his Gran and headed over to meet his friend for the first time.

As soon as Neville got close enough, he saw the scar on Harry's forehead and winced, knowing the pain that scar could bring. Schooling his face in a friendly grin; he walked over to him and said; “Hi; are you starting Hogwarts this year too?”




“Yeah! I can't wait; from what Hagrid told me, it's gonna be brilliant!”




“I know, I'm looking forward to it, too! Oh, I'm sorry, I'm Neville Longbottom; and you are?” Neville asked, sticking out his hand,




“Oh! I'm Harry, Harry Potter”




“Potter? Are you related to James and Lily Potter, by chance?”




Harry looked shocked at the reaction, Neville could tell he was already dealing with the whole Boy Who Lived treatment; at least it seemed he was doing better with it than Neville had done at 11 years old.




“I've been told that my parents names were James and Lily, but, I really don't remember them.” Harry said, quietly.




Neville put a stricken look on his face, “Oh! Oh Merlin! I'm so sorry, I didn't think, I just asked, because my Gran told me that some of my parents closest friends were James and Lily Potter. I lost my parents just a few days after you lost yours, and for the same reason. I've been living with my Gran ever since, how about you?”




“I stay with my mum's sister and her husband, but they don't seem to like me very much.” Harry's eyes widened, it was obvious he hadn't meant to say anything about it, but it slipped out.




Neville hid his shock as well as he could, but, it was obvious that this Harry was far from the mischievous boy who he met on the Hogwarts express, and was his staunchest friend all through Hogwarts. This boy was clearly lost and out of his element in the Wizarding World, but he was doing his best to learn what he needed to know.




“So I guess, based on what you are telling me, that your relatives aren't magical?”




Harry shook his head, sadly. “No, not at all, in fact, when Hagrid came to get me, Uncle Vernon called him a freak, and said something about Hogwarts being a freak school.”




“Damn!” Neville muttered, and almost grinned at the shocked look on Harry's face. “It's obvious that your relatives didn't teach you what you are going to need to know about the Wizarding World before you get to Hogwarts.” Leading him over to a shelf of books toward the back of the store, Neville grabbed several books that would explain things to aMuggleborn Wizard or Witch; but probably weren't on Harry's list.




“Those should give you enough information to get you by for the first couple of years. If you want, once we get on the Hogwarts Express, I'll be happy to answer any questions I can. That reminds me; do you know how to get on the Express?”




Quickly explaining; Neville told Harry that he had to go meet his grandmother; but would be looking forward to seeing him again on September 1st. Harry was smiling happily as he watched Neville leave, realizing he had made a friend that Dudley couldn't take away from him. The smile lasted the rest of the day, and he was up most of the evening going over the books that Neville had gotten for him.




For his part, Neville was relieved that Harry wasn't the big-headed prat he had been at 11 years old, and was glad to have made a friend.




End Chapter 2




Next Chapter; The Hogwarts Express, Hermione and Malfoy, Oh My! GRIN
Sign up to rate and review this story