Categories > Cartoons > Teen Titans > A Dish Best Served Cold

Love Thine Enemy

by Count-Le-Madphantom 0 reviews

The damn Cupid seems to have shot Zero right in the ass. But the object of his affections is the enemy... or is she?

Category: Teen Titans - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Romance - Characters: Beast Boy, Cyborg, Gizmo, Jinx, Mammoth, Raven, Robin, Slade, Starfire - Warnings: [!] [V] [X] - Published: 2006-02-12 - Updated: 2006-02-12 - 2023 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: Teen Titans? Nope, don't got any. S'not like I own 'em, y'know.


A Dish Best Served Cold-Chapter Five

(A/N: This first part is basically the last part of the previous chapter, except from Jinx's POV)




Jinx, although just barely conscious, and unable to open her eyes or speak, was still somewhat aware of what was happening. She didn't know how long, she had been trapped under the debris, time was a blur to her, and she wasn't awake enough to realize that she had been under there for about thirty minutes, when she abruptly sensed a breeze of cool air...well, cooler than under the rubble anyway.

Though she wasn't lucid enough to react to this, she could've sworn that she felt herself being gently lifted up and held like a baby in a strong, but gentle grip. She also thought she felt someone's cool hands brushing against her neck softly, causing her to shiver involuntarily in her state of unconsciousness.

Abruptly after that, she was vaguely aware of being jostled around in the person's grip and soon, she felt a sudden whoosh of cold, fresh air, making her wonder if they were outside. She was unaware just how long this went on, but soon she heard a person speaking, although she couldn't quite make out the words in her dazed, partially conscious state.

She did, however, manage to discern three words: "She got away."

Before long, she felt herself being laid carefully down in a soft, warm area that felt like a bed...and, in moments, exhaustion took it's course, stripping her of what very little cognitive senses she had left.








Jinx awoke slowly, blinked her eyes a few times, wondering just what had hit her. She was sore all over, and felt stinging sensations at various places on her body as if she had been singed earlier.

Then, all the memories of what had happened the other day hit her like a sack of bricks, hard and without warning.

She had failed to keep up with Gizmo and Mammoth, and, while trying to figure out where they had gone, had suddenly had the entire place go up in flames around her. She had been lost for a while, she was pretty certain Mammoth and Gizmo had both escaped before the sudden explosion....she remembered being suddenly crushed under a huge weight, and crying out in pain...she remembered moaning softly in agony before losing all consciousness, and then....something...no, someone....picking her up and carrying her away to God-knows-where....and now she had woken up here.

Jinx looked around at her surroundings, still a bit dazed. She was lying in a large bed, probably big enough for two-people, with plain white sheets, a large, thick blue blanket, and soft fluffy, teal-colored pillows.

The room around her had whitish wooden walls and she immediately noticed a couple plaques on the far wall, each bearing an animal head: The one on the left bearing the head of what looked like a polar bear, and the one on the right being the white and gray head of an arctic wolf, both with their fangs bared in ominous expressions.

Near the rear of the room, by the bed she was in, was a large metal desk bolted to the floor with a matching metal chair with a blue cushion. On the desk lay a messy assortment of books, papers, and pens along with a number of small tools that looked like lock picks and probes.

Nearby was an old looking bookshelf stuffed with a number of thick, dusty looking books as well as a bunch of papers with black, scrawled writing on them.

On the front wall of the room was a large door with a highly polished golden handle. Next to the door was an enormous map of the world in a metal frame that took up much of the remaining wall space.

Several round porthole style windows also dotted the room.



Jinx looked around wide-eyed, dazzled by this strange new scenery. If she didn't know better, she'd have thought she was dreaming! Her thoughts were cut short abruptly by a voice that made her jump, badly startled.

"Ahh, good, you're awake! I was beginnin' to worry, there."

She looked back towards the door to see that is was now open and the white haired young man that had trounced her and her partners the night before.

"You!"

"Yes, me. It's a good thing you woke up...breakfast is still hot, and I didn't want to wake you up..."

She stared dumbfounded 'Breakfast? He's a Titan and has me right in his grasp and he's talking about breakfast?'

"Here, I went out to town just earlier and bought some of these." He produced a large Styrofoam container and a glass of milk and walked over to the bed, holding it out to her. She took it with shaking hands and stared at it incredulously. She looked back and forth between the container and Sub-Zero before fixing him with a piercing stare.

"...What is with you??" She hissed finally. He looked at her innocently "What?"

"You beat up my friends, help those stupid Titans escape and now your serving me breakfast??"

All of the sudden she realized something....it seemed obvious, but she was only just coming fully to her senses. "....it was you, wasn't it?

" "It was me what?" he said confused.

"YOU! You're the one who got me out of that building...you who brought me here.... wherever the crap here is. And I heard you talking to somebody...you told somebody "She got away". Were you talking about me?"

Zero chuckled and explained "Well, first of all 'those stupid titans' are my friends. And 'here' is my home...my ship actually, but it's my home too, I live here. Also, yes it was me who brought you out...you may be my friends' enemy, but I've never left somebody for dead before, and I don't intend to start now....enemy or no enemy....I told them you got away because...well...because they probably would've locked you in a cell, or something...and for all I know, you might deserve it, but I just couldn't....not after you almost got blown up and left behind by your own friends."

She listened to this whole thing and was astounded. He had to be lying! Nobody's motive's could be that pure, nobody's!

"Now...you should probably hurry and eat before it gets cold." He reminded her.

She looked down at the small Styrofoam container she was holding and, setting down the glass of milk he had given her, opened it up. She gasped when she saw it contained five or six large waffles and several small containers of butter and syrup...and judging by the slight steam rising off of it, they were still fairly fresh. A package containing a fork, knife, and a spoon was also included.

She stared at the food, then at the glass of milk, then back at him. She finally got her mouth to working "You g-g-got this f-f-or me...?" she stammered softly. He grinned and nodded... the tender moment was ruined, however, when a high pitched rumbling, gurgling noise filled the room. He started..."What the--? What was that?" Jinx blushed heavily and looked away. "um...that was my stomach" she mumbled shyly. "Oh, right... well then what are you waiting for? Dig in!" He said, gesturing toward the food. She needed no second bidding.

While Jinx ate hungrily, Sub-Zero walked over to his desk chair and sat down, content to watch her eat. She was rather menacing last night when she was with the other two, but in this situation she looked more harmless...maybe even a little attractive...

Zero mentally punk-slapped himself. 'What the heck am I thinking? I barely even know this girl!'

He looked back up and saw that she had already finished and was staring at him. He blushed profusely.

"Er....is something the matter?" he asked.

She stared at him with those feline eyes and did not answer immediately. Then, she said "They....just, left me?"

It was a soft question, he barely heard her. "Those other two? Yeah they were with an old man when they escaped, but they never even looked back...as a matter of fact, I suspect it was them who planted the bomb which destroyed that building."

She just sat there for a minute, but then began to shake violently. "They....just left me....they don't want me anymore?" she said in a haunted whisper. Sub-Zero immediately tried to calm her. "Well, I don't know about that, but......" he couldn't think of anything else to say...but he was even more alarmed to see tears appearing in the girls feline eyes.

"Hey, now don't be upset! It's no big thing...who need's 'em anyway? Besides, someone of your talent shouldn't be running around committing crimes anyway!" He said with a smile, trying to cheer her up.

She wiped her eyes and looked at him. "What else will I do...I'm a criminal...and I sure as heck can't go back to the H.I.V.E. now..." Zero stared at her baffled.

"Uhh.....hive?"

She sniffled softly and explained about the academy she had attended with her friends, and how there was no way they'd want her back if they had tried to have her blown up.

"I see...." He said slowly.

Jinx managed to stem her tears and ask "Where will I go?"

Zero thought for a minute and then grinned broadly "I'll ask my friends! Surely they would let you stay with them! I'll just explain your situation and I'm sure they'll...."

She cut him off "The Titans? Oh god, no, please, you can't tell them, you just can't!" She said immediately squirming around and she yelped when pain shot suddenly through her.

"Whoa, whoa, take it easy! Don't move around so much, you'll hurt yourself! You're still pretty banged up from last night....if you don't want them to know, then I won't tell them...but it seems like a good idea to me."

She shook her head violently. "No...it's not that simple...you don't know half of the things my friends and I have done to them...."

"No, I don't....but if you truly regret all those things now....er...you do don't you?" he said unsure.

She thought and then nodded. "I've been an awful person all my life... all for the sake of H.I.V.E.....and all they do is condemn me to die....i AM sorry, NOW... but, they would never understand....and never forgive." She whispered sorrowfully.

He walked over and knelt down to where he was eye-level with her and put a hand on her shoulder. "Look...you may have done some bad things, but everybody makes mistakes...and besides, if you don't listen to anything else I say, then listen to this...."

He softly took her chin in his hand and very gently turned her head to where their eyes met.

"It's never too late for a fresh start."

He got up and walked to the door.

"Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go take care of a few things...you're more than welcome to stay here and get some more rest, of course."

So saying, he walked out the door and left a very heavily blushing young witch behind him.

She touched her face where he had touched, and sighed softly

"Why do I trust him....I trusted Stone...or Cyborg, rather....and he turned on us....on me.....how do I know Zero's not just the same?"

But deep inside, she felt as if she could trust him with anything. She smiled and laid back down in the bed and soon fell back asleep.




Well, that's that. Sorry about this chapter being so short, but I promise the next one will be longer. I hope I didn't put TOO much fluff in this one...but if so, review, and I'll know not to overdo it next time.
Sign up to rate and review this story