Categories > Cartoons > Teen Titans > A Dish Best Served Cold

Faux Betrayal

by Count-Le-Madphantom 0 reviews

Robin isn't an easy guy to keep secrets from... Jinx can't stay hidden forever. Can the damage be undone...?

Category: Teen Titans - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Romance - Characters: Beast Boy, Cyborg, Gizmo, Jinx, Mammoth, Raven, Robin, Slade, Starfire - Warnings: [!] [V] [X] - Published: 2006-02-12 - Updated: 2006-02-12 - 1376 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: Repeat after me...(ahem)... "He doesn't own...Teen Titans". There now, that wasn't so hard, was it? : )


A Dish Best Served Cold-Chapter Six



Sub-Zero sighed as he walked into the front door of Titan's Tower.

He felt terrible about only having known them a couple few days so far, and already, he was keeping secrets from them...but he couldn't bear to turn Jinx in. After all, she may have been a villain, but she herself admitted she regretted it...and besides: at the moment she didn't seem all that threatening, so why imprison her?

He met with the others in the Living room of the tower.

"Friend Zero! You have come for a visit!" Star cheered excitedly, while Raven, whom was sitting nearby cringed slightly at the Tamaranean's outburst...she had, apparently, been in the middle of her morning meditation.

"Hey." She said in an expressionless voice.

"My, my, I take It we're not a morning person, are we?" he teased the sorceress "But, yeah, it's good to see you too."

"Hey, welcome back! Want some breakfast?" Beast Boy asked poking his head out of the kitchen

"Oh, no thank you, I've already....wait....what...is that?" he inquired, referring to the dish B.Boy was holding up in front of his face...it appeared to be a couple of small white squares on a plate.

"Man, it's somethin' you don't wanna eat." Cyborg answered stepping out of the kitchen. "It's Tofu."

Sub-Zero stared at the substance warily. He had never heard of this 'tofu' but, if Cy disliked it, he'd rather not risk it. "Erm....as a said, I'd love to, but I've already eaten and I'm quite full." He lied, not wanting to offend BB.

Beast Boy just shrugged and downed the white cubes himself with a hearty 'gulp!'.

"Sub-Zero." He heard Robin's voice from behind him.


Zero turned around and greeted the boy wonder back. "Mornin'" But he noticed, a little unnerved, that Robin was looking at him very strangely.

"Zero...could I get you to come with me for a sec? I just need to talk to you...in private I mean?" He requested.

Zero agreed without a moment's hesitation. "Sure!" they walked off to Robin's room, with Robin leading the way and Zero just following him.

They walked down a long corridor with a number of identical doors. Although they all looked alike, to Zero anyway, he was guessing some of these were probably the Titan's rooms. Finally they came to one such door and Robin stopped, opening it up.

Robin's room had the lights dimmed; the only visible parts of it was a desk with small TV on top.

The Boy Wonder led Zero over to the TV and grabbed a small tape from a drawer on the desk and inserted it into the TV. Then, he casually motioned toward a chair. "Sit down, make yourself comfortable." Zero complied, but inside, he felt nervous...why was it he felt as if he were in for an interrogation?

Robin picked up a remote control from the floor, and switched on the TV, which displayed only static, up until he pressed the 'Play' button.

All at once, the tape began to play, showing the entrance to a large building. After a moment of DeJa-Vu, Sub-Zero realized it was the same department store that the H.I.V.E. thugs had attempted to knock over the night before.

"How did you get this?" he asked looking over at Robin

"It came from the security camera...the only one that wasn't completely destroyed in the blast." He explained.

"Oh, I see...but we were there. We know what happened...why are we watching the recording?" Zero asked looking quizzically over at his friend.

"I think you'll realize soon enough." Robin said softly not looking at him.

Sub-Zero was perplexed by this response, but he went back to watching the tape without further questions.

The tape showed Gizmo, Jinx, and Mammoth walking up to the entrance and saying something to each other. Zero strained his ears to hear them, but their voices were muffled and incoherent on the recording, so he just watched. Mammoth, after a moment, rips the door off and they go in.

At this point, Robin picks up the remote and fast-forwards until the Titans arrive and Go in after them. Then, he fast-forwards some more after that until Brother Blood is seen to land in front of the door on a strange, floating metal platform.

'The same one they escaped on!' Zero realized mentally.

After Blood smoothly strides off the landed platform, he goes in. Robin then fast forwards to the point where Blood and Gizmo and Mammoth escape, and they are soon followed by the Titans, who do not arrive in time to see them fly off.

Robin fast forwards a good bit and then hits play again.

For a moment, nothing happens. Then, there is a large, muffled 'KABOOM!' that causes the speakers on the small TV to rattle and makes Zero flinch. The walls crumble and the picture suddenly fills with static, but then pops up again a moment later, except with a slightly poorer picture than before.

"The explosion!" Zero says. Robin nods "Mm-hm. Now, watch this part very carefully..."

Zero wonders what he means...until his eyes widen suddenly, he goes even more pale than he normally is and gasps softly to himself. "No..." he whispers in horror. Robin did not respond however.

Zero looks back at the display while Robin fast forwards again. By this time, Zero has realized exactly why he was brought here...and also realized he had just been caught in a lie. Robin presses play and the following scene plays out:




The Titans finally notice the slowly hovering platform in the distance and run off in hot pursuit whilst Zero takes off towards what is left of the building. Robin fast-forwards and Zero shudders because he knows what is coming up next. Rob hits play for the last time, and it isn't long before Sub-Zero is seen high-tailing it out of the burning building with an unconscious Jinx cradled gently in his arms. Robin turns off the TV.


Sub-Zero gulps and closes his eyes, unable to look at his friend whose masked gaze he felt drilling into him.

"Now look,...I'm not angry...and you're still my friend...but is there anything you'd like to explain to me?" Robin asked firmly


Zero takes a deep breath, and turns to face Robin. "Well...yeah, sort've...a funny story actually..."






Back at Sub-Zero's ship.






Jinx awoke again to the sound of a knocking on the cabin door. Sub-Zero came in looking pale and nervous.

"You're back..." she said, yawning. She had been asleep since he left the first time.

"Um, yep....listen, Jinx...can you walk alright?" he inquired softly.

"I think so..." she gets up slowly and takes a few steps gingerly, getting her stiff legs used to moving again.

"Good. It seems you've got some visitors."

"Wha? Visitors?" she looked at him puzzled. He motioned toward the door inviting her to walk out.

She walked out and glanced around the deck. Until she gasped loudly upon seeing the LAST five people she really wanted to see right before her. Zero came out behind her and put a hand on her shoulder. "Jinx, please don't flip out, but..." he was cut off mid-sentence.

"You lied to me..." It was a soft agonized whisper that the Titans were too far away to make out, but poor Zero heard it loud and clear. "Please...don't-" he was once again cut off.

"You said you wouldn't tell! I trusted you!" She shrieked loudly, this time EVERYBODY heard it loud and clear.

"Please, listen to me, I didn't.....!" she slapped him hard on the face and tears started to trickle from her cat-like eyes.

"Y-you.....you should've left me to burn." She whimpered softly.

Before anybody could react, she ran back inside the cabin and slammed the door shut with practically enough force to rock the ship.

Zero stood there, stunned, for a minute before collapsing to his knees and groaning with grief as the Titans went over to him, presumably to console him.
Sign up to rate and review this story