Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > My Heart It Can't Contain It ...

Chapter Eight

by Redrox 0 reviews

Flashback

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2008-04-19 - Updated: 2008-04-20 - 1664 words

0Unrated
It was 6am the day after the attacks in Sydney. Rachel’s eyes were bloodshot and her head was pounding. She had only gotten off the phone with her family 10 minutes ago. During that time neighbors had roamed the streets talking to each other about the “terrible events going on in Sydney.” Somehow they had all ended up at Rachel’s house watching the news, talking to her parents and drinking all of her tea and coffee. Rachel stood in the middle of the open-planned family room and kitchen. The floor was a mess, cups were everywhere and the light from the TV flooded the living room. She walked into the room and switched the TV off. There was nothing she could do about what was happening in Sydney. Badger let out a large snore from his bed in the corner. She smiled to herself and moved off to her bedroom. All she could do now was to carry on and do some sleeping in the mean time.

BEEP BEEP
BEEP BEEP
BEEP BEEP

The loud beeping alarm on her phone told her it was 1pm. A reminder was written on the screen and she rubbed the sleep out of her eyes before she read it.

Take Mark to the Airport.

Rachel was in her 2nd year of University. She was studying Music with a major in Technical Production. Her lecturer, Mark Dwight, was an exchange teacher from Chicago. He had turned up on the universities door step the same year as Rachel and had taken up the life of the colleague he had swapped with. From both of their first days they had become good friends. Many people thought that they had something romantic going on, but the truth is that Rachel always got on better with the opposite sex. Males were a lot less complicated (in most cases) and no where near as bitchy. Today he was going back to Chicago and Rachel was going to miss him. He had helped her so much with her studies. He convinced her to apply for a sound producer’s position with the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra and she had got the job. She was now saving up for her own studio and he had already asked her to come over to work for his studio when she finished her degree.
Rachel finished dressing and turned on the TV as she ate breakfast. The news came on and last nights events rushed back. She suddenly lost her appetite. She turned the TV off and fed Badger before she left early for Mark’s.

*

“I can’t believe it’s been two years,” Rachel exclaimed.
“Oh I know. It feels like it was only yesterday that I first taught you pack of wolves.”
“Hey! We weren’t that bad.”
“Oh yeah having a food fight on the last day of term, IN THE LECTURE HALL isn’t bad.”
“Well … ok that was kinda messy, but fun. You must admit we are good though.”
“At what?”
“At the subject.”
“Oh yeah ok don’t get all smug Rach, You may have been my best scoring class, but that doesn’t mean you are all gonna be the best,” Mark replied with a smirk.
“Off course it does you think we are the bomb!”
“Talking of bomb’s what was with the bomb shaped cake at my going away party?”
“HA HA HA! Don’t you remember? You said at your first lesson with us, ‘well there aren’t any real rules, except that I am the bomb in this class, and I could go off at any time, so watch out’, HA HA, we were laughing about it for weeks afterwards.”
“Oh yeah I remember that. I can’t help it if I’m naturally funny.” Rachel was sparred having to answer as she parked in the car park outside the terminal.
“Well come on your flight leaves in 2 hours, I can’t believe you didn’t finish packing last night. We should have been here an hour ago.”
“Hey you know I’m indecisive.”
They unloaded two suitcases onto a trolley and walked towards the terminal.
The place was swarming with people, many of them crowding around the doors.
“Why are there so many people here?” Mark wondered out loud.
They managed to get through the doors and were now looking around. There were parents hold crying children, Businessmen shouting into phones and people pleading with stewards.
“Must be because of what happened last night,” Rachel half-screamed to be heard above all the noise.
“What?” Rachel was about to answer when a woman that had been standing next to Rachel turned to Mark.
“How much do you want for your ticket?” the woman asked Mark, eyeing his ticket greedily. She was short and had a strong French accent.
“Excuse me?” His hand holding the ticket recoiled into his body slightly.
“Name your price, if that ticket gets me off of this rock I’ll pay it.” The woman asked as she pulled out her cheque book.
“I’m sorry but it’s not for sale.” The woman continued on her fruitless quest with Mark as Rachel felt a tug at her leg. Looking down she saw a small child looking at her feet. At first she though she may be lost, but she saw the child holding on to a woman’s hand who was on the phone. She squatted down to the girl’s level. She had been crying and was only about 5 years old.
“What’s wrong hunny?” the girl pointed to Rachel’s feet and she swiveled to see. Underneath her left foot was a bear.
“Oh I’m sorry,” Rachel said as she moved her foot to pick the bear up. She cleaned him off and straightened his little bow tie.
“I’m sorry Mr. Bear. I hope I didn’t hurt you.” As she spoke a small grin reached the child’s face. She handed the bear back and as the girl looked at it as if it was the center of the universe a wave of terror swept over her. She remembered the video on the news last night and hoped that what ever was happening in Sydney didn’t happen here. The mother then started to walk off pulling the girl behind her. The girl took one last look at Rachel and then she was lost in a sea of legs. A hand suddenly placed it’s self on top of her shoulder and she looked up to see Mark. Wrinkles had formed at the corner of his eyes and mouth. He had gotten rid of the lady but she had obviously ticked him off.
“Fucking hell, people just won’t take no for an answer.” Rachel stood and faced him.
“I’m glad your getting out of here.” Rachel blurted. That terror she had felt early had shaken her and now she wished she was leaving with him. Mark’s face changed to one of concern and he asked,
“Why would you say that?” Rachel saw a free bench and she pulled Mark towards it.
“I need to tell you about Sydney …”

*

“Mark stared at Rachel as what she just told him flowed thorough him sending his mind into overdrive. He didn’t know what to do. He had friends in Sydney, and what if it came to Adelaide. What if something happened to Rachel?
“Look Rachel there is something I need to tell you.” The thoughts he had been trying to deny for so look made their way to the surface. Sure their age difference was only about 6 years but he was her teacher and he couldn’t before but now he could act on them.
“Look for a long time I have liked you Rachel, a lot, and I was your teacher so I couldn’t do anything about it. But now I need to know something and please answer truthfully and I understand if you don’t feel the same but I need to know. Do you have any feelings for me?” He spoke with a look of relief on his face but once he had finish he looked slightly embarrassed. ‘Oh No. Why did I have to ask her? Why! I already know the answer.’
SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT! Why did this always happen to her. She gets on well with a guy, becomes good friends with them and then they go all ‘romantic’ and shit with her! Rachel sighed.
“Well Mark I love being your friend but no I don’t have feelings for you, I’m sorry.”
“Don’t be I just needed to tell you that I do. I’m sorry I didn’t mean to make anything awkward between us.” He expected her to say that they were no longer friends; that she never wanted to see him again.
“You haven’t.” Rachel looked at her watch as a look of relief spread over his face. He didn’t want to lose her.
“Crap you need to book in!” Rachel said. Both of them stood and hugged each other.
“You be careful ok Rachel. If you need anything give me a call.”
“I will don’t worry. Like I said I’m glad your getting out.” They broke apart and Mark grabbed the trolley.
“Please be careful Rachel.”
“I will. Goodbye Mark.”
“Bye,” and with that he turned and walked away through the crowd.
Rachel was now contemplating on whether to go to her friend, Storey’s house, or not. Storey could get anything out of her if she wanted and Rachel knew she would be pushing to see if Mark had said anything ‘Important’ to her. Storey had believed that Mark had had the hots for Rachel for a long time and now, because of Mark’s ‘Moment of Honesty’ Rachel had lost a $50 bet to her.
“Great,” Rachel turned and walked out of the doors towards her car.
Sign up to rate and review this story