Categories > Books > Lord of the Rings > A Song On The Air

Babe in the Woods

by digdigil 1 review

Este takes the baby to someone who can look after it.

Category: Lord of the Rings - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Fantasy - Characters: Galadriel, Other - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2006-02-14 - Updated: 2006-02-14 - 5953 words

0Unrated
A/N: This chapter, as well as the entire story, is AU. For this chapter I have chosen to use as its source regarding Galadriel and Celeborn's whereabouts and history, one of the versions of their story from Unfinished Tales by J.R.R. Tolkien, "The History of Galadriel and Celeborn and of Amroth King of Lórien".

BABE IN THE WOODS

Upon arriving in Middle-earth, Estë immediately carried Melian's baby to Doriath. Her wish was to seek the help of Galadriel, wise lady of the Noldor who had been a friend of Melian. She was still living among the Sindarin Elves while planning to leave for the Northeastern lands after the death of King Elu Thingol. During her stay in Doriath, Galadriel had met and fallen in love with a Sindarin Elf of Beleriand named Celeborn.
To appear as ordinary as possible lest she be seen by others and did not wish to be recognized as one of the Valar, Estë wore a long cloak of a soft grey, its hood pulled low over her face. The pale blue healing light that always emanated from Estë's eyes was thus covered in the shadow of the cloak's hood. She carried the tiny infant in her arms and fed her from a skin full of goat's milk to which Estë had added some of Melian's own essence. In this way the baby Heneryn was nourished as well as she would have been in the arms of her own mother. Gazing down at the tiny infant who stared back at her happily with bright blue trusting eyes, Estë felt a sharp pang of sadness at the necessity of removing the child from her mother.
She pushed on. At this time, Celeborn and Galadriel had fallen in love and lived together as if wedded but had no children of their own. It was no hardship for Estë to find the entrance to the City of Caverns called Menegroth that Elu Thingol had built within the region of Doriath, now that Melian had fled and that greatest relict of her powers of enchantment, the Girdle of Melian, was no more and thus no longer protecting Doriath from possible attack.
Loathing to do it but knowing she must, Estë asked Galadriel if she knew of a couple among the Elves of her following who would be trustworthy and able to keep the knowledge hidden that the child was not their own and raise her as if she were. Galadriel shook her golden head and looked at Estë with reluctant resolution. In Menegroth a small suite of rooms was kept for Galadriel and Celeborn when they deigned to stay there, though for the most part they desired to dwell among the green hills and trees a short distance from the great city of caves. When Estë had arrived in Menegroth bearing Melian's child, she met with Galadriel in her rooms in the city. These rooms were sumptuous and full of artefacts and decorations of great beauty. Chairs and sofas in satin brocade coloured in jewel tones were set about the rooms. Estë ran her hand over the top of a sofa as she walked past and remarked how smooth and luxuriant the satin felt. Atop many heavy tables and cabinets of polished oak and mahogany were cluttered ornate lamps and bowls, vases and urns of elaborate design and decoration. Huge crystal holders held candles that burned brightly and whose light flickered over the many large paintings and portraits that adorned the dark blue walls. Galadriel crossed the room in order to turn up the flame in the largest of the lamps. The flame hissed and crackled as its blue light leapt upwards.
Estë remarked to Galadriel how impressive she thought her home to be but the Lady replied, "All of these bits and pieces I can do without. My heart belongs to the outdoors where I would prefer to live. You should come to visit me in my little cottage by the nearby river. It is much plainer and therefore dearer to me than these rooms in the city".
Estë then asked her, "Would you find it more comfortable to talk there instead of here? We could go to the cottage if you wish, as I have a matter of great importance to discuss with you".
"Perhaps then it would be better", Galadriel replied. "If it is a matter of some secrecy then we will be more secluded at the cottage than here where many people may see us".
"Then let us go there", Estë replied, and the two women, cloaked and hooded, Estë carrying the child, warm and swaddled in a basket, made their way into the woods nearby. By the River Aros near Nan Elmoth and not far from Menegroth was a small house of white stone, decorated with the blue and green jewels of sapphire and emerald set into patterns around the windows as if framing them, in which Galadriel and Celeborn often stayed. They came upon the cottage as dusk was falling and the newly made sun was setting in the West. The jewels around the windows sparkled in the golden light and Galadriel remarked that these jewels had been brought by her from Valinor to Middle-earth, but she now forsook them as reminders of the Noldorin shame, and they would remain as decoration for the cottage only, as no longer did she wish to hold them in her hands, as these hands she desired to wash free of all past misdeeds.
Once she had been welcomed into the cottage by Galadriel, Estë made known her errand to her. She had no qualms in relating the entire story of Melian's fall into despair in her grief over the death of Thingol and the subsequent fatal meeting with Maedhros as it were, which had resulted in her pregnancy. Estë knew that she needed Galadriel to be the protector of this child, however remote the relationship between the Vala and the Elf would later be. She needed Galadriel's friendship and trust as had existed between Melian and the Lady of the Noldor before Thingol's demise. There was no better way to achieve this level of trust than by telling the truth and everything that she knew to Galadriel. Celeborn and Galadriel had been much moved by Thingol's death as they had been close friend of the King's; therefore, Galadriel was much shocked by the news of Melian's subsequent childbirth.


"I would like to look after this child myself, if you do not mind, Estë, rather than finding her other foster parents among my friends. My foremost wish is to do good in this world. Celeborn and I wish very much to be married one day soon. We have been discussing our mutual desire to leave Doriath and travel over the mountains into the region called Eriador to the Northeast. When we settle there we can bring up this child as our own and no one need know otherwise".
Estë agreed with this plan and thus left Heneryn with Galadriel, flying back to the Isle to continue looking after Melian. Irmo was waiting outside the house when Estë returned from Doriath. On his fair face was a welcoming smile for his wife, whom he loved dearly and it always upset him to be parted from her for very long. Estë and Irmo typically did everything together but Estë had not wanted Melian to be left alone, thus it had been decided that one of them should take the child to Galadriel while the other stayed to tend the ailing Maia in their care. When Irmo saw that Estë was empty-handed and indeed the baby was gone, he dropped his head and wept.
"My dear, what troubles you so?" Estë rushed to his side and enveloped him in a close hug. She had missed the feel of his warmth and strength and his scent of spiced fruit and she loved to take him in with all of her senses.
"To see that the babe is no longer here grieves me more than I had thought it would", he said, wiping his eyes with a trembling hand. "Melian has been improving in the last couple of days and that is something to be thankful for. But I cannot help feeling that if she were to heal and become as she was, then she may have accepted her child and raised it herself, as in my mind it should be".
"Oh, darling Irmo", cried Estë. "What you have told me about Melian gladdens me, but there is also a heavy weight now upon my heart at thought of Heneryn. What have we done? Have we indeed done wrong? Please take me to Melian now. I must talk to her and see if she has changed in her thinking at all toward the baby. Is she in her room?"
It was Irmo's turn to give Estë a reassuring hug. "No, love, she is outside taking a walk in the gardens". His face brightened. "She was singing earlier, to the nightingales, teaching them a new tune".
Estë returned his smile. "That sounds hopeful. I must see her. And I make this promise, Irmo. I shall visit Middle-earth regularly to visit Heneryn and follow her progress".
The two Valar then went arm in arm to find Melian. They found her walking slowly through the gardens that she had helped them to plant. The roses and rhododendrons were in full bloom with masses of colours of shades of pink and red framing each side of the many grassy pathways. Their perfume was light and soothing. Melian's face, still pale but showing much more alertness, brightened as they approached her. "Estë", she cried with joy to see her friend, "Where have you been? I have missed you".
Estë took a deep breath and decided to plunge ahead. "I have just come back from Doriath", she said, "Where I have left Heneryn with Galadriel and Celeborn".
"I am sorry, who did you leave with them?" asked a puzzled Melian.
"The baby Heneryn", Estë said, faltering at the words.
"And who is the baby Heneryn?" asked Melian.
"Do you not know, Melian?" asked Estë in a sad whisper.
"No, of course not", was Melian's firm reply.


OOOOOOOOoooOOOOOOOO


A few years later, but while Heneryn was still a small child, Galadriel and Celeborn with a contingent of their followers among the Elves, left Doriath and traveled with the child over the mountains into Eriador and established a home in Hollin, which was then called Eregion. They worked tirelessly with the Dwarves there to build both Eregion and Moria into beautiful realms. That is, everyone except Celeborn, who would not work with the Dwarves since some members of that race had killed Thingol, his greatest friend. While there, Galadriel met more of the Eldar who had forsaken the Great Journey from Cuiviénen and had settled in the Golden Woods of Lórinand in the Vales of the Anduin River. As was written about in the later Annals, as there was no leader to rule these Elves they lived free and uncaring as Morgoth concerned himself with the Northwest region of Middle-earth. Many Sindarin and Noldorin Elves travelled to Lórinand to live among these people. (1)
Estë would come often to visit with Heneryn as she grew through her childhood into a young lady. Galadriel and Celeborn had had two other children by this time, a son named Amroth and a daughter Celebrían. They lived within a community of Elves and a few Dwarves in a large grouping of houses not far from a great number of buildings constructed to hold several forges or fiery furnaces, kilns, workshops and a great wash house, where the Elven craftsmen led by Celebrimbor, son of Curufin and grandson of Fëanor, did their finest work.
As Galadriel walked about with Estë while Heneryn played with Amroth and Celebrían, and showed her the surroundings and the scenery of Eregion, she told Estë also of their plan to move to Lórinand, an area of golden woodlands populated by some Silvan Elves who lived among the great Mallorn trees of the region. It lay beyond the Dwarf city of Khazad-dûm, which was currently being mined by the Dwarves and through which Galadriel, Celeborn and their children would have to pass in order to get to Lórinand.
"I must tell you, Estë, I am having some trouble with Celeborn", Galadriel said, wringing her hands in frustration. They walked along the banks of a small stream, which burbled merrily as its clear water ran over the rocks and the pleasant sound contrasted sharply to Estë's ears, with Galadriel's mood.
"Celeborn feels a strong dislike for the Dwarves", she continued, "Because of those who murdered Thingol. I have tried to reason with him and tell him that the Dwarves who dwell here are not the same as those who killed his friend, but he will not listen. I feel great trust with these Dwarves who are of the same mind as we are, and do not wish to divide our two races so that we are not united in force to defend ourselves if need be once more against a possible future enemy".
Estë closed her eyes and inhaled deeply, and the sweet scent of the white flowers that grew in abundance along the banks of the stream helped to soothe her weary spirit. She opened her eyes and looked at the tiny white flowers growing in clumps of two or three feet high and twice that in width. Their petals grew in feathery spirals of white spokes centred around a yellow eye, and numbered in the hundreds with in each clump, lining the banks as far as she could see.
"He refuses to pass through Khazad-dûm", Galadriel was saying, "And accompany us to Lórinand where I am determined to go. I fear that we have no choice but to part and I will take the children with me while he plans to go to Imladris".
Estë sighed unhappily, not liking this news. "Why must you leave Eregion at all?" she asked.
"I do not care at all for Celebrimbor's new companion, who calls himself Annatar", Galadriel replied. "Celebrimbor is stubborn and will not listen to anyone's advice save his. But I have a strong feeling about this Annatar, and it is stronger than the dislike that I felt for Fëanor whom I despised".
"Who is this Annatar?" asked Estë, feeling a disturbance that she did not quite understand at the sound of the name as it came from Galadriel's lips. The scent of the tiny white flowers became suddenly cloying and a bit sickening.
"I know not from whence he came", remarked Galadriel, but he is a craftsman of great skill and knows much lore that he is teaching to Celebrimbor. But I feel that a shadow follows him and there is a touch of evil about it. Therefore I wish to leave. I have grown tired of trying to reason with Celebrimbor and Celeborn also, for that matter, and I wish to find my own realm where I can live the way I wish, and raise my family and provide for my loyal followers as well".
Estë breathed deeply and said to Galadriel, "Then I fear for Heneryn. It was my wish that she grow up in a stable home and be free of strife and upheaval. In my heart I know that wandering about and embarking on much travel will not be good for her. As you know, Galadriel, her true parentage cannot be known unless Melian herself is willing to acknowledge and accept it. Yet if Heneryn begins to show any sign of being other than an Elf; if any special power begins to develop in her, then better that this power be witnessed by only her foster parents and never the world at large, lest the secret become known by all".
"I do understand you", said Galadriel, "and I know what you wish to do. I must tell you too, that Heneryn is very young for her age. She concerns herself with the small things in life in a childlike manner. She is incapable of looking at the world at large and sensing its dangers and I fear that she will not be able to live alone. Because of that I believe it would be best if I give Heneryn back to you then, so that you may find other people for her to live with".
"Yes. I am sorry", said Estë sadly. "But also, I wish for her to grow up in a stable environment where the people are living in a tight community and committed to each other. They should not be too numerous as it is imperative still that Heneryn's origins should not become known. Do you know of any such people, Galadriel?"
Galadriel looked wistful. "It is sad for me to give up the care of Heneryn when she has become like my own daughter. But I do know of a perfect couple for her to live with. They live near our home here in Eregion for the time being, but are planning to move back to their permanent home in the Tasarion Forest, where they came from. They have learned the healing arts and keep a garden of herbs and medicines in a large clearing in this dark forest which lies West of the great Greenwood Forest, near the river called Sir Ninglor or Gladden River. It is in a region unknown to most others where they are well protected by the large Tasarion trees that grow there in a great ring encircling the forest next to the river and hiding all within. Mitaurë and Maressa are their names, and they are kind people who prefer solitude above all else and rarely venture to the outside world. They grow these fine herbs and Mitaurë makes fine silver jewellery in his small forge there. He had wanted to come here to learn more of his craft from Celebrimbor, whose fame has spread far and wide. They are childless but would love to have someone with whom to live and treat as their own daughter. I know them well and know that they would be fine guardians".
Estë was much pleased to hear this. "If you will tell me the way to their home, Galadriel, I shall go and speak to them", she said. Galadriel then took Estë to meet the couple that would become Heneryn's new foster parents. Then when it was time for them to leave Eregion, Estë accompanied them North to the Forest of Willows. With them also traveled a young Elf of Lórinand named Rúmil, who had also been in Eregion to learn craft from Celebrimbor and now wished also to return to his homeland. He and Heneryn became quite good friends on the journey home.


OOOOOOOOoooOOOOOOOO
Mitaurë and Maressa were two reclusive, yet kind and gentle Dark Elves who preferred to live as they did, in the deepest part of the forest of willows, tending to their gardens, and not requiring the constant company of others in order to be happy. They had been married for a long time, yet, while they wished dearly for a child, that wish had not been granted. Despite this, the couple were clearly, to Estë, kind-hearted and generous, and should make very good guardians for Heneryn. Heneryn herself preferred the idea of living with others in a small community as it was familiar to her, having travelled and lived with Galadriel and her family for so long. She dreaded the idea of living alone.
Their house was not much larger than a cottage; indeed, they called it the Rose Cottage, and it was warm and inviting, situated within a large clearing, as Galadriel had told Estë, in the middle of the willow forest. Its roof was thatched, protecting it from the heat of the sun that bore down from above, and bathed the surrounding gardens in warm, golden light. The gardens were bountiful, full of medicinal and fragrant herbs, as it were, and many, many rose bushes and vines of plentiful, colourful flowers, which twined around the many arbours that surrounded the house. Estë was surprised by the appearance of the Rose Cottage. She understood, then, that Maressa, despite being a solitude-seeking Avari, held a deep love of warm things that came from the earth. She was caring, nurturing and loved to watch things grow under her own nourishing hands.
This house, which was made of grey stone and the wood of pines, and its gardens were like jewels shining in the midst of the dark forest. Estë's heart was lifted by the sight. She knew that Heneryn would be safe from discovery here. "This will be a delightful place for Melian's child to live", she thought, pleased with Galadriel's choice of foster parents for Heneryn.
The couple asked Estë to sit down at the large kitchen table in the bright house, as sunlight poured in through the windows. Mitaurë caught Estë's curious look as she considered the table and its dozen chairs, all neatly pushed in under the table, and skilfully made from the finest maple wood.
"Although we live alone, we sometimes have company. There are a few Avari living in this region", Mitaurë explained without being asked. "We prefer solitude, but occasionally we do entertain visitors."
Estë smiled at his words. She understood the reluctance of the Avari to involve themselves in the wars and conflicts that seemed to draw the other Elves, and the pride that led to all the battles, that had caused these people to break away from the Vanyar and the Noldor and seek out their own solitude. They were not unlike the Nandor of Lórinand, who sought the light. Mitaurë and Maressa were Noldorin Elves who had forsaken their people in protest of the affinity that the Noldor showed for fighting and of their warlike behaviour in general.
"I will explain why I have asked you to do this", she said, entreating them with her kind blue gaze. "The identity of Heneryn's mother must remain unknown, by yourselves and all others, including the girl herself. The reasons for this are many-fold, but least of them are her mother's inability to accept her child's existence in the world. The father's identity I will tell you, and I will ask you to make this known to Heneryn if she ever asks you about it. There is no reason she should not at least know one of whom she comes from, although he himself is not aware of her, nor shall he ever be. For now I would prefer that she thinks you are her real parents, as the separation from Galadriel and Celeborn and their children is bound to be difficult enough for Heneryn to have to deal with".
Mitaurë and Maressa expressed their interest and concern for Heneryn to Estë. "She will be safe here, I assure you", said Mitaurë, "But I am concerned that one day she will ask about her true mother".
Estë then said to him: "She is not a bad person. She has suffered much, of which I cannot speak, and is in such a fragile state that she cannot be upset by anything lest it lead to her undoing. Please promise me that you will make the father known to her. He is Celegorm, son of Fëanor, son of Finwë."
"Celegorm! We have of course heard of this family and of the Lord Celegorm", said Mitaurë, after exchanging a thoughtful glance with Maressa. "The family of Fëanor suffered much at the hands of the Dark Lord Morgoth".
Estë's face turned pale and the blue light from her eyes flashed, causing Mitaurë and Maressa to flinch. She looked grim. "Yes, and I wish to spare Heneryn from any of those horrors that were inflicted upon her father and her ancestors by the Dark Lord", she said.
"You may tell her that her mother is an Elf-maiden who was met by Celegorm by the Lake of Tarn Aeluin in Beleriand, where she was conceived", said Estë, and added solemnly, "and at least that last part is true. Her name is Heneryn, a Sindarin name in homage to the great king of Doriath, Elu Thingol, who is no more. Would you mind if she is called by this Sindarin name? You may change it if you have strong feelings against the use of that language."
"No, it matters not to us", said Mitaurë, "does it, my dear?"
"Nay", said Maressa, in a sweet, singsong voice, and she looked from Estë to outside the window where Heneryn was walking about in the garden, admiring the roses that grew plentifully there. She folded her arms close to her bosom. She smiled at the sight of the girl outside. "Heneryn is a fine name. We are not of those who draw lines that others may not cross. While we do not associate ourselves with those who would wage wars, we would accept any one of them into our home if they were in need of our help."
Estë beamed upon them both, and after some more instruction on now to explain things to Heneryn, she bade them farewell and took her leave. Mitaurë and Maressa then busied themselves with Heneryn's needs. Mitaurë hurried out back to his forge, where there was a workshop, to build her a bed in which to sleep, while Maressa found some fine cloth from which to make bedding and other linens for her. Heneryn had brought an assortment of clothing that she had received from Galadriel as well, and as she folded these garments to put away, Maressa turned to look at her husband.
"Mitaurë", she asked him, "from what the Lady Estë told us, did you have the same suspicion as I did, that perhaps this girl's mother is one of the Valar herself and that is why she could not tell us more of her background, and that the father is not really the fiercest of the sons of Fëanor?"
"Yes, the thought did come to me", he said. "Yet we will probably never know the truth. Let it not concern us. We must hope that all will be well with the girl, and that she will show no outward sign of who she may be, that will cast any suspicion that she is not our own."
"You are right, my dear", said Maressa. "Let us agree to protect her with all our love and care as we promised the Lady Estë".

OOOOOOOOoooOOOOOOOO


With Mitaurë and Maressa as her foster parents, Heneryn lived a happy and carefree life. They did not tell her until much later who her real father was, but did so eventually out of the duty of their promise to Estë. There was much for her to do and interest herself with in the willow forest. Other young people from the surrounding areas sometimes came to the cottage in the clearing and played games with her, and occasionally stayed overnight to sleep with her in the large, airy bedroom that she shared with her pets. Mostly, though, Heneryn's life was a lonely one, with only her foster parents and her pets, a dog, a cat, and a rabbit, for company.
Heneryn's favourite thing was a large picture book that Mitaurë had made for her, with stories of old told in simple rhymes, and it was illustrated with many paintings and drawings fashioned and articulated by Maressa. Heneryn would look at it every day. Maressa taught her to read, and she would say the rhymes to herself. She also played outdoors among the trees and along the many streams that ran throughout this part of the northern hill country between the great River Anduin and the smaller Gladden River.
Heneryn loved to collect rocks, especially the glittering ones that she occasionally found in the streams. The area was rich in gold deposits, as yet unmined, and Heneryn would bring home many beautiful nuggets, some quite large in size. She loved to paint pictures on the plain rocks that she found, and made little people out of them. Once, she constructed a whole army out of rocks and pebbles, and would arrange them in military formations. This shocked Mitaurë so that he took these toys away from her.
Eventually, Mitaurë built an easel for her, and she would love to sit at it and, on canvas that Mitaurë had stretched over frames, she would paint many landscapes, flowers, and creatures that she saw. When she grew older a remarkable singing voice had begun to develop in her. This voice was inherited, of course, from her unknown mother, Melian, and had also been present in her half-sister Luthien Tinuviel. As Melian and Luthien were able to enchant birds and other creatures with their songs, so could Heneryn charm the creatures of the forest. Nightingales and other birds would come to sit upon her head and on her easel while she painted, whenever she sang. Other small animals would approach her, too, rabbits and chipmunks, and squirrels, and once, even a deer came near enough to let her pet it.
Mitaurë and Maressa were enchanted by her voice as well, and would enjoy sitting and listening to her sing after supper every night. One evening, after she had finished singing for her parents, and had happily done her chores and put away all the supper things, she asked if she could go out into the forest for a walk among the trees. She felt a strange compulsion to do so on this particular night.
"Amme", she asked Maressa, "would you give me your permission to go out walking for an hour or so?"
"But, my love, it is getting dark now, and I do not wish you to walk alone. I have sewing to do, as I must finish making your new dress for the celebration in Lórinand next week, thus I cannot come with you."
"I would accompany you", said Mitaurë, "But there is a set of silver bracelets still in the forge that I must finish by tomorrow. Their owner has paid for them in advance and I must have them ready for him".
They had been invited to attend a special party to commemorate the arrival of Lady Galadriel and her children in Lórinand. The Elves of Lórinand liked to hold festivals every so often, and anyone of their friends among the Elven kindreds who followed them from the various places where they had dwelt, and any Elves from the surrounding areas in Rhovanion who wished to attend could do so. Some of them were less reclusive than others, and Mitaurë and Maressa liked to go to these functions, as did Heneryn. She had developed a little fancy for Rúmil, the bright young Elf who had accompanied them to Rhovanion from Eregion some years before.
"But Amme", she pleaded, "I know not why, but I feel a longing to go for a walk outside. I will make it short, I promise, dear, dear Amme", she begged.
Maressa could not resist Heneryn's endearing pleas. Nor could Mitaurë ever resist his daughter's wishes.
"All right, then, Melinmine", Maressa replied, "You may go, but be sure to be back in an hour, lest we worry about you."
Heneryn laughed, the delightful sound of a tinkling bell, and dashed outside. On the way to her favourite pathway, she stopped at a great rosebush near the front entrance of the house, and picked some blooms to tie together into a garland as she walked. The roses were so fragrant and such a lovely colour of deep pink, and she was so intent upon them that she did not notice a stranger approaching her along her path, as she fretted over a stray flower that would not stay where she placed it on her wreath. She bumped into this stranger, who had stopped walking, but who had not stepped aside to avoid her.
"Oh!" she cried, and started so violently that she dropped the roses down onto the pathway. The stranger stooped to pick them up.
"These are for you, my Lady", he said, as he handed them back to her, "yet they do not match the beauty of the colour in your cheeks, nor the flush upon your bosom."
Heneryn blushed even more hotly at his bold words. She considered this impolite stranger as he stood before her. He was one of the Avari; there was no doubt at all about that. His hair was dark brown, streaked with ashen grey. His skin was dark olive, as if tanned, and his eyes were very large and of a deep, golden brown colour, fringed with long, dark lashes. It was the only warm colour about him. His raiment, like his hair, was of brown and grey. He wore a soft brown suede tunic over a grey singlet of raw silk, and dark grey leggings worn with brown suede boots. He carried a bow and quiver of arrows, and Heneryn thought that he was the most handsome Elf she had ever seen. Poor Rúmil had been forgotten.
"I have been rude not to first introduce myself to you", said this strange Elf. "My name is Laurerusca."
"Golden brown", said Heneryn, in just as familiar a manner as he had shown to her. "You were named for your eyes." She was mesmerized by his eyes, and stared boldly into them, not caring what he thought of her for doing so.
"Yes, I was", smiled Laurerusca, "although I am also known as Sindarusca."
"Grey brown", she said, "for your hair."
"Yes, and sometimes my mother calls me Ruscamine, when she is angry with me."
She laughed. "Brown one?"
He laughed along with her. "Yes, for my skin, my hair, and my eyes."
"I am Heneryn. I live with Mitaurë and Maressa of the Rose Cottage", she replied, gazing up at him in wonder. Laurerusca was not a particularly tall Elf, but he towered over Heneryn, who, like her real mother, was quite small in stature.
"What would you like me to call you?" she asked him coyly.
"You may call me whatever you find most attractive", he said.
"Most attractive of your names, or of your appearance?" she asked in return, her lashes fluttering.
He laughed again. "I will leave that for you to decide," he replied, "and take my leave now. You may spend the rest of the night thinking upon it if you wish, and, if you would permit it, I shall come to visit you tomorrow, when you can give me your answer."
He picked up her hand, and bending low over it, he kissed it. When he bent down, his long hair fell upon her hand, and she felt its warm softness. He then turned on his heel, and disappeared into the forest, back in the direction from which he had come. Heneryn stood staring after him for a long time before she returned home. When she entered the cottage, she found that Mitaurë and Maressa were very worried, and quite upset with her. She had been gone for five hours.


Footnotes:
(1) The Annals as they appear from the text in Unfinished Tales: "These Elves had no princes or rulers, and led their lives free of care while all Morgoth's power was concentrated in the North-west of Middle-earth. Many Sindar and Noldor came to dwell among them".
(2) Unfinished Tales: P. 305, The History of Galadriel and Celeborn.

Sign up to rate and review this story