Categories > Original > Fantasy > Merchant Of Death

Chapter Seven

by lost_in_the_shuffle 0 reviews

Chalise is a merchant of death. Have a person causing a problem? She's the one to call.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Published: 2008-06-13 - Updated: 2008-06-14 - 967 words

0Unrated
When I woke up, I was no longer in the dungeon, I was lying in a soft bed. Sitting up, I realized that I was still naked, and I pulled the covers around me. I was in a beautifully decorated room, and I wondered where I was.
Suddenly the door opened and I tensed, waiting for an attack to come. Who I saw step through that door surprised me and I stared.
“Jericho?” I asked, wondering what he was doing there.
He smiled sadly, “I’m sorry to have gotten you into this mess kid,” he said softly, then turned. A tall man stepped into the room, followed by Circe.
I gasped and stared at Jericho, “you’re a traitor too?” I asked, unable to keep the disbelief out of my voice.
“Not a traitor Chalise,” he said, “more like a patriot. I’m helping stop this war, in whatever way I can.”
“So you’re siding with humans,” I said, “the people who have been killing your kind for years?”
Jericho sighed, and shook his head, “I knew you wouldn’t understand.”
“No,” I said, “I don’t understand. Why did you help us? Why didn’t you just kill Peter when he brought me out of the house?”
“Because,” Jericho said softly, “we needed you here.”
“Why?” I asked, tears falling down my cheeks, my heart broken because of Jericho’s betrayal.
“You’re the one Chalise,” he said softly, coming toward me and grasping my hands. “The one who will stop the war.”
I looked at him in confusion, “but you told me Peter was the one who would stop the war.”
“Lies,” Circe said, “more lies to get you here. Yes Peter did have a small part to play in this, but it is you who plays the biggest part.”
I looked at Jericho, still confused.
“Because of the child you’re destined to bear Chalise,” he said, “the one who will end the war. A child of a human and an immortal.”
“I’m not an immortal,” I said, “I’m a merchant of death.”
“Another lie,” the tall man said, stepping forward. “I should know, I created you, three hundred years ago.”
I stared at Jericho, “how can this be?” I asked softly, “why did you never tell me this?”
Jericho sighed, “because Chalise,” he said, “it was the only way.”
“The moment I saw you,” the man said, “I knew you were the one. You radiated the glow of an immortal, not of a human. So I stole aboard your father’s ship and took you, bringing you back here.”
“Piero performed the ceremony that would make you an immortal,” Jericho said. “Then I took you to Vincent, he put a merchant of death cloaking spell on you and gave you false memories. So that you would think you were one. And we waited, until the time that the prophecy came to pass.”
“The day Peter was born, there was an eclipse,” Circe said, “and we knew that was the sign we were waiting for. So we watched him, and waited for him to grow into a man. Then we assigned you to kill him, knowing that if he was indeed the one, you wouldn’t be able to do it.”
I shook my head, “and what about siding with the humans?” I asked, and Circe smiled slightly. “The humans want an end to this war as much as we do,” she said softly. “And now, with you and the new weapon at our disposal, it’ll happen quickly.”
Piero moved quickly, coming up and pushing me back on the bed. I tried to fight him, but he was to strong, and yanked the covers down until my belly was exposed.
He pressed a hand against my stomach, then smiled.
“She is pregnant,” he said, “I can feel it’s life force. Just a small little flutter for now, but it’s there.”
He looked at me and pulled the covers back up.
“Congratulations,” he said, “you’re about to end this war.”
I scowled at him, “where is Peter?” I asked, and Circe shook her head.
“Still concerned about the puny human I see,” she said, then smiled. “Don’t worry, he’s safe, for now. Just a little bit of insurance to make sure you don’t have any convenient accidents while pregnant. If anything happens to the baby, then your human dies.”
“You bitch,” I snarled, lunging at her, but Piero caught me.
“He’s not for you anymore my dear,” he said softly, stroking my hair. “He was just a vessel, now his job is done. You’re mine Chalise dear, remember, I was the one who made you.”
He pulled me back and stared into my eyes and I suddenly felt a link with him.
“Once the baby is born,” he said, “I will fully remove the merchant of death spell on you. Then our true bond will be complete.”
I shook my head, and he smiled.
“You deny it now,” he said, “but soon, you’ll desire me.”
He gently put me on the bed, and turned, before stopping and looking at Circe.
“Find her some clothes,” he said, “something more benefitting an immortal, not those awful merchant of death rags she wears.”
Circe nodded and bowed, watching as he walked out of the room, before following him.
Jericho stayed where he was, staring at me, a sad look on his face.
“I’m truly sorry,” he said softly, as I refused to look at him. “I wish there could’ve been some other way.”
He turned and left the room too, closing and locking the door behind him as I sat on the bed, trying not to give into the tears that threatened.
Sign up to rate and review this story