Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Deadlines

Down to Business

by neve 4 reviews

MCR finally makes an appearance

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Humor - Characters: Bob Bryar,Frank Iero,Gerard Way,Mikey Way,Ray Toro - Published: 2008-06-17 - Updated: 2008-06-17 - 3882 words - Complete

2Exciting
Chapter Three - Down to Business


"Hey guys, I'm Jill,"

Jill smiled as she shook hands with each member of the band as they politely introduced themselves.

"Thanks for taking the time to come and meet with me today." Jill said as she turned on her recorder and flipped open her notebook. "Thanks for having us." Gerard replied.

Frank mischievously looked at Mikey as he noted the girl lay out her bundle of pens. "Are you planning to keep us here all week?" Frank asked nodding towards the pens.

Jill looked up and slightly blushed, "No not at all, it's just things tend not to work when I need them to work the most so I come prepared."

"Okay." Frank smiled raising his eyebrows at Gerard.

"I'm not sure what arrangements were put in place with you in regard to what you were happy to talk about, I know this sounds really unprofessional but the writer that was supposed to be doing this interview is not well so I've kinda jumped in at the last minute and I've not had a chance to prep with your press people" Jill tried to explain.

"Just go for it," Gerard assured her while Frank rolled his eyes.

"You will say if you're uncomfortable with any questions and we'll skip them."

"Sure," Gerard confirmed slightly taken aback that he would be asked this.

"Okay, " Jill said flicking open her notebook.

"So Bob, this was your first time recording in the studio as a member of MCR?" Jill asked the bewildered drummer.

"I'd really been looking forward to it, you know this was a record we all really couldn't wait to make and all the pieces just finally fell into place," Bob replied not used to being questioned first.

"You worked with Rob Cavallo on this album who had recently worked with Green Day on American Idiot, what was that like?" Jill asked.

"I knew when we were coming up with the concept of this album, I really wanted someone who had the experience of capturing show tunes and just taking a song to another level." Gerard replied the excitement in his voice evident.

"Yeah, he was just so passionate about it you know, we knew straight away he was the guy we wanted to produce this album" Frank added.

"He really pushed us but gave us a lot of freedom," Mikey tried to explain before he was interupted.

"We spent a long time just talking about the album, we didn't want to make a record that was self-absorbed but more self-aware, "Gerard paused for a moment and then added when he saw Jill smile at him and nod, "to really create the loudest, ultimate form of self-expression that hasn't been heard in such a long time."

Jill let out a deep breath as if she had been holding it in too long, "Wow, you don't seem to be worried about the pressure being put on you."

"The only pressure we've felt, and I think I speak for everyone, throughout the recording was to write something we all felt proud of and we achieved that." Ray explained.

"Mikey you wanted to add something?" Jill asked aware the bassist was often spoken over.

"We always wanted to say something to everyone," Mikey started. "Now it's our time. We want people to be fearless, to be proud of themselves, to take a stand and I think this album shows that."

"You wrote and recorded your new album at the infamous Paramour mansion in Los Angeles, how was that?" Jill asked.

"One of the hardest things we've ever done." Gerard replied solemnly.

"The house is haunted for a start, there's no heating, no TV or cell-phone service," Frank added.

"Is it true that you seriously questioned whether the band would continue during this time?" Jill asked.

"Yeah, there was like a two, three week period where everything just kinda went downhill." Gerard replied biting his fingernails.

"I had doubted myself for quite a while, it was weird because I had finally achieved something that I had dreamed of my whole life and then I questioned whether I could play and if I was good enough for the band." Mikey explained.

It was clear to Jill that nobody felt comfortable talking about this and she noticed Gerard lean closer to his brother. She went to change the subject when Mikey added, "I was drinking too much to try and block out all the things that had happened in such a short space of time like my grandmother dying and my father having a heart attack on our tour bus. Every day I just blocked it out and by the beginning of this year I was a total wreck. Then we ended up in this crazy house with just one glowing blue light in my room and it hit me all at once."

"How did you get through it?" Jill asked softly aware of Gerard staring at her.

"My close friend Stacy, who is also the bands lawyer, helped me and I stayed for a while with her until I was sorted out and the doctors were happy." Mikey replied letting a slight smile cover his previously solemn face.

"It was really difficult to see my brother, my closest friend go through that, "Gerard added, "I didn't deal with it too well at the time though."

"Gee, will you stop beating yourself up about it." Mikey instantly replied giving his brother a smile that Jill noted after the few years of covering MCR seemed reserved only for private moments.

"Things did get difficult, we're so close and when you see someone go through that it effects us all." Frank explained, "Mikey was so integral to the group we kinda just fell apart for a bit."

"I became extremely edgy and angry," Gerard added. "We had something we wanted to bring to the world and we were basically forced to stop creating it. It was as if a plug had been pulled. It was a really dark period. We really had to pull together and get through the fear. The stuff we were coming out with at the time was really angry and dark. That's where the final song on the album comes from, there's a line in it that states "I am not afraid to keep on living". I felt like I was singing about my brother."

"Then Mikey came back and it was if a huge weight had been lifted off our shoulders," Ray added.

"The light came back in the room," Bob explained.

"I heard that song," Mikey said carefully avoiding naming it, "It felt like the most potent cure in the world, I fell in love with the band again."

"Everything just came alive when Mikey came back and we came out with something really special." Gerard concluded half hugging his brother again.


"Is it true Liza Minnelli does a cameo on one of the tracks?," Jill asked as she skimmed down her notes looking for something to pick their spirits back up again.

"How did you find that out?" Gerard asked.

"I have my sources."

"Well it is true, it's on a track called Mama, we wanted someone who had a lot of strength and a lot of sorrow. Somebody who was a bit of an outsider themselves, faced really hard things -- maybe even ridicule -- yet somebody so completely talented that their voice shadows all the positive and negative things said about them." Gerard confirmed grimacing slightly as if he had given too much away.

"You won't go out and put this on the internet before tonight will you." Ray asked noticing Gerard stare at him.

"No, my notes are going nowhere until deadline tomorrow." Jill assured them.

"Thanks." Ray replied not completly trusting her word as she was a journalist after all.

"Do you worry about the reaction from the critics and fans?" Jill asked.

"I suppose you hope that the fans are gonna love it but at the end of the day people will have their own opinions and feelings about it. We don't really pay attention to how many copies we sell" Ray explained as Gerard nodded along.

"But your record company do?" Jill asked.

"Yeah but we leave that to them." Gerard replied.

Jill hesitated for a moment before asking, "I was wondering if you were aware of the article written in the Daily Mail this week?"

"That was a nice welcoming present." Frank said sarcastically.

"How do you react to being labelled an emo band, a death cult and celebrators of self-harm?"

"It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, we are so against violence in any form and we've all been raised to believe that you treat others with respect. I've been suicidal but I took that difficult step to talk to someone about it and I would encourage anyone out there who feels like that to do the same. Also if you see someone in despair take the time to talk to them." Gerard explained trying to keep his anger in check.

"We created this band to help kids like us, we're geeks who've all had difficult times growing up and had to really fight to achieve anything. Our music helps to inspire people and our message is so anti-suicide." Mikey said passionately.

"Our fans are really smart, they understand where we are coming from." Frank added.

"Are you not fed up with the emo tag?" Jill asked.

"Totally, people always have to tag a band with some sort of description and this seems to be the favourite one at the moment." Gerard explained.

"Emo is really a load of shit, to me it's become something else to what I believe it to be." Mikey added.

"Final question, you'll be pleased to hear,"

"But you've only used one pen." Frank replied laughing.

"Anyway," Jill said placing her notebook over the pens to try and get Frank's attention,"You play a sold out gig at the Hammersmith Palais tonight and the crowd is already gathering,"

"Really?" Frank asked looking slightly bewildered.

"Yeah, it's quite a party down there." Jill replied as she noticed them all grin proudly at each other. "What can the fans expect?"

"A bloody brilliant show," Gerard replied in a mock english accent.

"You're such a nerd." Mikey replied punching his brother's arm.

"See I might have been impressed if you had done it in a Scottish accent." Jill added.

"Och aye, you will," Gerard started in the worst Scottish accent Jill had ever heard.

"Now you sound like Mrs Doubtfire dude." Mikey replied as they all burst out laughing.

Jill couldn't stop laughing as Gerard's cheeks flushed with embarrassment, "What, ha ha, can fans expect?" she tried to repeat.

"We have quite a few surprises which I hope those that come to the show will enjoy, it's a huge deal for us to bring this to a UK crowd." Ray finally said as the others continued to laugh at Gerard.

"Yeah it is," Gerard added then stopped when everyone went silent, "What?" before everyone started laughing again and he rolled his eyes pretending to be affronted.

"Oh god my sides hurt." Jill said as she managed to finally stop laughing, "I'll get in so much trouble."

"What for laughing?" Bob asked.

"No, for laughing at someone I'm interviewing." Jill replied.

"That's what Gee is here for." Frank added, "this has been so much fun, thank you Jill."

"Thanks guys for taking the time out." Jill replied.

"No it's been priceless and now we have a new name for Gee," Mikey replied, "Isn't that so Mrs Doubtfire?"

"Fuck off Mikey." Gerard replied.

Just at the moment the door opened and the band's PA stepped in, "Everything alright?"

"Perfect." Ray laughed

"Well we have to get a move on now."

"No problem, I'm finished with them." Jill replied standing up.

"And she just throws us out like rubbish," Frank dramatically exclaimed.

"Nice to meet you Jill," Bob said shaking her hand. "You too Bob," Jill replied

"I am part Scottish you know just can't quite get the accent." Gerard said as he too shook her hand. "Gerard, I'd recommend you don't try it again for a wee while." Jill replied trying to not laugh.

Jill said thank you and goodbye to both Mikey and Ray before she noticed Frank in front of her.

"Are you coming to the show tonight?" Frank asked.

"I'm not sure yet, they might send someone else," Jill said as she noticed Frank had two of her pens behind his ears and more stuck in his pockets, "Frank?"

"Yes," he replied innocently.

"Give me my pens,"

"What pens?"

"Sorry Jill, this guy is a complete clown." Bob replied as he expertly avoided Frank's protests and snatched the pens before giving them back to the amused writer.

"Ah Bob my hero."

"Well you definitely have to come and see the show now with Bob being your hero and all." Frank said smirking,"We'll make sure you get tickets."

"Thank you." Jill smiled as they started to leave.

"Frank, now please, we still have the photoshoot." the PA shouted as Frank continued to chat.

Jill gathered up her notes and stopped the recorder, "Justin was right, I did okay." She quickly rewound the tape and smiled in relief as she heard the playback. "Wait a minute." She added as she looked around the table, "that man has a fetish." as she noticed all her pens had disappeared.

Jill quickly gathered up the plastic cups, bottles and food wrappers and put them in the bin, she was all to aware that even in this place the odd item touched by a "celebrity" would end up on ebay.

"So Jill, how did it go?"

Jill almost jumped at the sound of her boss, "Oh it was really good, I got a lot of good material for the article."

"Excellent, I'll get a copy day after tomorrow." He insisted.

Jill aware this wasn't a question, "Yes."

"Katie's going to do the review tonight so you can work on the article tomorrow together."
He added as he walked out.

"WHAT THE HELL?" Jill replied unable to control her response.

"My office now Jill."

Jill followed him back down the stairs wondering how someone could be on such a high and then fall so quickly but she was mad, friggin mad and it was going to need an escape plan to control the outburst that was forming. "Em Neil, I need a rest break for two minutes."

"You take that break and then get your ass in my room, two minutes Jill".
Jill bolted through the office and noticed Justin stare at her oddly. She quickly escaped into the bathroom and shut the cubicle door. "Fuck, fuck, don't blow it now." Jill made herself take deep breaths and she finally emerged.

"I'm off on my own Black Parade," Jill said to Justin as she exited the bathroom and saw him loitering at the men's door.

"What the hell happened?" he asked the concern evident on his face.

"MCR were great, I just kind of lost it when Neil said I was to co-write my article with bitch face Kate shagging the editor Smith." Jill replied.

"I would have punched him." Justin laughed, "You know how it works, just go in there and suck it up."

Jill nodded and Justin hugged her tight, "Keep that tongue of yours in check."

Jill walked the long road to Neil's office yet again only to be confronted by the one person she wanted to punch more than Neil. She could already hear "here comes the wicked witch" from the wizard of oz in her head.

"Hi Jill, fellow writing buddy."

"Kate, pleasure as always," Jill replied with just a touch of sarcasm.

"How were my boys?" Kate asked with the most pathetic over the top smile Jill had ever seen.

"I thought you were sick." Jill asked deliberately avoiding her question, "in the head" she added to herself.

"I was really bad last night but I knew I had to forget about that for the sake of the magazine, can you imagine if I missed the show tonight and you had no-one to edit your interview." Kate replied.

Now Jill could feel herself getting really mad, "I know can you imagine, anyway sorry to have to leave you but Neil wants to speak to me and I can't keep him waiting."

"Oh I think you might be in the shit," Kate replied almost gleeful, "he's on the phone just now."

Jill didn't even respond and simply walked to the office battling the anger and tears. She was mad at herself for letting Kate get to her but also at the situation to which there seemed no way out. She noticed Neil on the phone and he signalled for her to come in. His face was stern, then he smiled and then he would look at Jill and go stern again. Jill felt her stomach turn and imagined how she would tell her Dad that she was selling up and coming back home. She would have to leave Justin and Ruth behind and probably never get to work on a music magazine again. "I'm totally screwed." She thought to herself and she jumped out of her skin when Neil slammed the phoned down.

"Will you just sit down?" Neil ordered.

Jill walked towards the seat which was as usual covered in papers, "Oh is that the MCR photoshoot?" she asked as she noticed the proofs on the seat.

"Jill!" Neil barked resulting in Jill practically throwing the stuff on the floor.

"I'm really sorry for my outburst earlier, I truly am." Jill started.

"It was totally unprofessional and you showed a total disregard for my position." Neil reponded pounding his fist on the desk.

"I know, I just feel so passionate about what I do, I mean I know I only got this assignment yesterday but I was up practically the whole night preparing for it and the interview went well." Jill pleaded.

"You work hard Jill, I'm not disputing that but I'm in a difficult position when it comes to Kate." Neil tried to explain.

"I understand and I am sorry", Jill tried to explain, "I just feel the goalposts keep moving and now Kate has Green Day and will get her claim to this article too and it's all my work."

"I know."

"She did no prep for this interview and i picked it up and now she gets to go to the show tonight and will probably totally change the way I want the article to go," Jill said.

"Jill,"

"I worked so darn hard and the band responded really well to my questions,"

"Jill,"

"I didn't just do the usual stuff,"

"Jill, will you shut up?" Neil almost shouted as he tried to stop her babbling.

"Sorry, please don't fire me." Jill almost begged as she placed her hands on his desk.

"Fire you?" Neil asked in astonishment then began to laugh, "I'm not going to fire you."

"Oh,"

"It did cross my mind," Neill added.

"Oh," Jill looked down.

"Until I got a phonecall from Brian Schechter."

"My Chemical Romance's manager?"

"Yes." Neil snapped with frustration.

"Oh,"

"Jill, for goodness sake, "Neil laughed, "Seemingly the guys really liked you and they wanted to give you tickets for the show and well since you are going i thought you may aswell dothe review."

Jill looked at him with the biggest smile on her face and immediately started chanting, "I love Frank Iero" in her head. "What about Kate?"

"What about Katie, they've requested you and that's who they will get."

Jill almost squealed.

"Professionalism Jill professionalism, now get out of here and do some work." Neil demanded.

Jill stood there, she wanted to lean over and kiss his slightly balding moaning old head.

"Get out of here Jill before I change my mind."

"Yes boss," Jill said scrambling out of the room and almost falling on her face as she tripped on the usual piles around his room.

Jill skipped back to her desk, "In the middle of a gunfight, in the centre of a restaurant, they say, come with your arms raised high, well they're never gonna get me." She sang as she almost danced round Justin's desk.

"You didn't get fired then." He asked nervously.

"No and you're not going to believe what I got."

"Herpes," Justin immediately responded.

"Fuck off." Jill retorted, "I got to go to My Chem's show tonight to do the review and my friend if you ain't doing anything I thought you might like to accompany me."

"I thought that was Katie's assignment." Justin asked shocked.

"It was until MCR asked for me to do it, I'm so happy I could die."

"You do that you little emo," Justin replied, "What exactly did you have to do to get this favour?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, you must have done something and I saw them going to the photoshoot with the biggest smiles on their faces, I thought I told you to stop giving out the sexual favours." Justin said trying to be serious.

"Nope, you're not going to take the shine off this and for that you're not getting to come."

"You can't do that." Justin suddenly started to plead noticing the seriousness on her face.

"Maybe Ruth should come in your place." She teased sitting on his desk.

"I like MCR more and it was me that took you to see them in Glasgow, please Jill?"

"Fine, but I wouldn't let your Slayer mates hear you begging for MCR tickets like that." Jill informed him nodding to Tony, Justin's extreme metal colleague.

"So what did you think of them?" Justin asked as he noticed Tony's attention returning to his screen.

"I knew they were really passionate about their music, they take it so seriously and it's all about pushing themselves to the extreme, it's really inspirational and they are very funny." Jill said.

"Glad you had a good time,"

"They look so different now aswell, Gerard's gone blonde which was a bit of a shock at first." Jill explained.

"I know that kind of threw me for a minute, did you ask him about it?"

"Nah, I didn't want to sound like someone from a gossip mag." Jill replied drinking coffee from Justin's cup.

"Wise move." Justin nodded taking his cup back off her, "So did you pick a favourite?"

"A favourite what?" Jill replied nonchantly.

"Jill, why is everything so difficult with you?" Justin laughed banging his head of the desk.

"I don't really have a favourite but if I had to say something,"

"Yes," Justin's head shot up at the chance of some gossip.

"I'm really disappointed that Ray's tamed the fro," Jill burst out laughing.





I'm so nervous abou t this chapter so I hope it's not too bad. I've taken some actual quotes from various sources but added a lot of my own stuff too. I know I'm really lousy at updating but your reviews and ratings help keep me inspired and I appreciate them so much. If you have any suggestions just let me know. Thank you.
Sign up to rate and review this story