Categories > Original > Drama > Blood Sucking Babysitter

Chapter 19- The Last Goodbye

by Mo_Was_Here 0 reviews

Katherine wakes up before the war and has to fight with her own integrity to keep herself under control.

Category: Drama - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Published: 2008-12-03 - Updated: 2008-12-04 - 1604 words - Complete

1Exciting

Katherine’s POV

Mackena had stayed with me until Axo highly advised for me to go to sleep because she estimated that it was going to be a long day, and unfortunately she was right.
I woke up this morning feeling really refreshed and happy, I asked Axo to turn on the lights in my new room and the florescent bulbs lit up immediately. She brought me pancakes and milk for breakfast and I ate them in my bed, Mackena came to say good morning to me and of course that’s when the day just started getting uncomfortable.
“Hello,” She said as she slid of the black carrier belt.
“Hey,” I said and hopped out of bed and that’s when I first actually saw Mackena’s face. She had a tan face, with scars scattered unevenly across it, the pupil in her right eye seemed to have exploded and it leaked down the iris but stopped at the edge of the green. Her other eye had a large scar across it from right to left and she could open her but only like a sliver. There was a part in her nose that was missing right near the edge and a large red bump to the right under her chin.
I gasped and stuttered back a little, unconsciously.
“That’s why I didn’t show you before.” She said sternly and walked to the opposite side of the room.
“I-I-I’m sorry.” I said quietly.
“Yeah its okay, I just didn’t wear it today because I figured if there is going to be a war what’s the point I might as well add to my collage.” She said and touched her face.
“How long have you been alive?” I asked her then quickly put my hand over my mouth.
“Ha, its okay I don’t mind, I have been alive since 1492.” She said and turned to see my reaction. I couldn’t help it, my jaw had dropped.
“So you’ve been alive for,” I did a quick mental calculation, “for 516 years?”
“Well now that I think about it yes, yes I have.” She said and let out a small laugh.
“Whoa,” I said.
“Yea, all you humans think you’re old.” She said and we both laughed.
“Wait Columbus sailed the ocean in 1492.” I said.
“Yes and I was one of the passengers aboard the boat that made that trip.” She said.
“So you were born on the ship, or what?” I asked.
“When you asked how old I was, I meant how long I have been a lichen, I was 21 when I sailed the ocean with Columbus.” She said.
“So you’ve technically been on this earth, lichen or not, for 537 years?” I asked astonished.
“Technically, yes.” She said.
“So were you ‘changed’ on the ship or in America?” I asked looking at her intently.
“I was changed in America, I was one of the hunters who were supposed to go out in the uncharted parts of the woods and hunt for food and one day I ran into a large wolf and I chased it until all of a sudden it disappeared and a man in torn clothing walked out of the trees. He told me his name was Hotak and he was a Wampanoag Indian and would show me back to the campsite, as we were walking he told me he was different from the others that he contained a different soul and learned his skills from different chiefs. Then he told me he was half man half wolf, and when I asked him how he had became that way he bit me in the abdomen and then I changed right then and there.” She said and turned around to face me again. I couldn’t stand looking at her torn face, I bet she was probably beautiful before all that had happened to her, I pitied her and wished things could be different for her.
“Don’t worry it wont last long.” She said and turned away again.
“Mackena, I am so sorry.” I said, I had brought this failure upon myself.
“It’s fine.” She said coldly and I figured it was time to change the subject.
“So what won’t last long?” I asked.
“Today Helena and half of her vampire warriors are coming to take you, we checked in with the foreseers this morning and they gave us a list of who would die in battle, who would be wounded, and who would be captured. Luckily you are not on any of the lists, but I am.” She said sadly and I took in a heavy breath.
“Under which list?” I tried to ask calmly.
“The death list.” She said quietly staring down at her feet.
“No!” I shouted and her head shot up. “That’s impossible! Don’t go, stay here with me and be safe we can change the future it’s possible!”
“Katherine, no one can change the future, okay? The foreseers saw me dying while protecting you, and that’s my job, if I have to die while in service then I will.” She said trying to calm me down.
“No!” I shouted again and small tears began to leak out of my eyes, “You get away from here, and go somewhere safe! And I thought you were the strongest of them all just use you strength!” I shouted.
“I cannot leave, and the foreseers said that there will be more warriors then I and my strength will not be enough, I am getting old Katherine, I am one of the oldest immortal soul there has been.” She said and walked closer over to me.
“But it doesn’t mean you can’t get help, get more of our warriors down here to help you! Have someone else help you fight you can’t do it by yourself!” I shouted and more tears came spilling out.
“Katherine, calm down!” Mackena said while grabbing me by the shoulders and looking me straight in the eyes, “I can’t win this battle by myself, but you can. After I die you are going to be the only one left in that room that’s trying to help you, it’s going to be you and about five other highly skilled vampires. You can do it because when Helena bit you she gave you some of her, now use that against her, fight her and win.”
We stood there staring into each others eyes, hers broken and in dismay, mine tear-filled and stressed. It wasn’t awkward or weird it was calming and meaningful it was a moment that we shared together as friends and not enemies. Finally I broke the silence,
“I don’t think I could do it, not with you dead.” I said and leaned into her wide chest for a hug.
“Don’t worry, the rage you feel inside will drive you to victory.” She said in a smooth comforting tone, then the carrier belt began to move and I let go over her.
“Who is that?” I asked worriedly.
“It’s the head elder.” She said and stood completely straight and stared forward.
I tried to follow her lead, but I was so nervous I began to shake. The black door opened and a tan body came out and slid gracefully off the end of the carrier belt and onto his feet and stood tall.
The man was wearing suede pants and a white t-shirt with brown moccasins he was very tall and thin, but he muscles stuck out of his shirt prominently.
“Hello, sir.” Mackena said.
“Hello Mackena,” He responded then the both turned and looked at me, I felt so out of place they were both so tall and formal and I was weak and afraid.
“Well its time to take our places, we are expecting their arrival in about two hours, so say your goodbyes.” He said and glanced at me then walked to the carrier belt that started moving again then got on and disappeared through the small chute.
Then my knees began to tremble so much I fell to the ground and crumpled under my own weight. Mackena immediately dropped down beside me and placed a hand underneath my head and lifted me up and held me in her arms.
“You can’t do that when I die.” She said jokingly but there was s hint of seriousness to her voice.
“I don’t know if c-c-an do this-s.” I said and I felt the tears rush to my eyes again.
“Calm down, the foreseers said that you will overcome the pain of my death to kill them off and stop Helena for good, after this you can go home, you can be with your mom and Josh again.” She said soothingly and her vice cracked in and out.
“I-I-I d-don’t want this to be the last time I get to talk to you as a friend, I want to be able to hangout and b-be your friend after this is a-all over-r.” I stuttered and my breathing became uneven.
“Katherine, we are lucky we have star-crossed paths, just think of it like this if I don’t die today then you will.” She said and for some reason that didn’t comfort me. “P-Please don’t go.” I whimpered.
“I’ll be back soon,” She said and squeezed me to help me up, she gave me one more hug then walked over to the carrier belt which started then hopped on and waved to me for the last time.
Sign up to rate and review this story