Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > We're Together, Still I'm On My Own- Chapter 8 up

If It Helps Him, It's Fine

by lostmyfearoffalling 3 reviews

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG - Genres:  - Characters: Gerard Way - Published: 2009-02-19 - Updated: 2009-02-19 - 1171 words - Complete

0Unrated
I get up, shaking the pills into the trash, and hopefully from my mind.
I breathe through my nose, grabbing my keys and a coat, sliding the phone into my pocket.
So he takes antidepressants. That’s fine. If it helps him, it’s fine. It’s better than slashing at your wrists…
I take another deep breath, refusing the subject. But I can’t help but think that he doesn’t just take one pill per dose.
I turn the radio up loudly in the car, and then I’m driving towards the Jersey line as fast I possibly can.
Frank said the hospital was near Belleville. That’s a long way to go. I push down harder on the gas.
I’m completely focused the entire way, not allowing myself to think about anything other than how to get there the fastest. When I see the hospital, at first I almost don’t realize it’s my destination, I’m so concentrated on driving. I swerve my car into the lot, yanking out the key and shoving it into my pocket. I run towards the hospital, slowing once I get to the doors. I walk purposefully up to the desk.
“I’m here for Thalia Hartshorn.”
The receptionist nods. “One moment.”
“I’ll take her,” a familiar voice calls.
I spin around quickly, almost crying with relief when I see Frankie running towards me.
I hug him tightly.
“Frankie!” I say, relieved.
“Hi Rain.” He says quietly.
I release him and pull back, looking him straight in the eye, trying to gauge his emotions. He looked pale and shaken. His dark hair was falling crooked over his eyes, across his nose in red tipped pieces. He looked exhausted; I could see the circles under his eyes when he shook the hair away from his face.
“How is she Frank?”
He sighs. “Ok, I guess. She still hasn’t been up yet. They had to keep her sedated.” He stares at the floor.
“How bad is she hurt?”
“Broken leg. Maybe a rib or two. “ He looks up at me. “I’m kinda happy though; it could’ve been way worse than that.” Frank nods, trying to convince himself just as much as me.
“Yeah. I know.” I nod too, my eyes darting around. My skin is already crawling. I hate hospitals. They make me uneasy. “So, should we just sit down, and wait until she wakes up?” I ask.
Frank looks as me blankly for a moment, then answers, snapping back into reality. “Yeah…yeah. Sorry. I’m a little tired.” He yawns.
“Frank, do you want me to go get you something? Food, coffee?” I ask him.
He bites his lip. “Are you sure?”
“Yeah. Totally, what do you want?”
“Coffee. And…” He trails off.
“What?”
“Um….can you get me some candy bars?” He looks embarrassed, staring at the ground.
“Sure. What kind?”
“I don’t really care. I just need candy.” He smiles nervously.
“Ok. Sure. I’ll be back soon.”
“Thanks Rain!” He hugs me again.
“Sure Frank.” I say, turning and walking out the door.
I go to the Starbucks I passed on the way, which is only about fifteen minutes from the hospital. I’m wary on my way, and as I get out of the car. This area of Jersey doesn’t seem to be the nicest. I suddenly remember where I am; Belleville. I think of Gerard, remembering this is where he said he’s from. I smile as I think of his face, and go inside to get coffee for Frank.
It only takes a minute to get the coffee; the shop is empty except for me. I get in and out as fast as I can, eager to get back in hopes of Thalia waking up.
I decide to go to the drugstore I saw by the hospital for the candy bars. I grab a few singles out of my wallet, then get out of the car. I survey the lot, noticing a black Nissan and thinking of Gerard again. I smile to myself, shaking my head. I was thinking about him too much. It’s not like it’s his car or anything.
I go inside, walking to the candy aisle rather than the register, to get bigger candy bars. God knows Frankie could use them.
When I hear a familiar voice, I’m ready to slap myself. Thinking that Gerard is here is a bit ridiculous.
Why not? Part me thinks. He used to live here. It’s not that far from the school.
Shut up, I tell myself. I reach for a giant Hershey bar.
“I just need to get one more thing Mikes.” That’s him. I know it’s him. My head snaps up, and I see Gerard, walking next to a boy a couple inches shorter than him, with black rimmed glasses and dark brown hair. He has almost the exact same eyes as Gerard.
“What is it?” The other boy asks. It’s Gerard’s brother Mikey.
“Just something from the pharmacist.” Gerard says coolly, like it doesn’t matter.
It seems to matter to Mikey. “NO! Gerard, I’m not letting you! Now come on.” He grabs Gerard’s arm and pulls him back.
“Mikey, please!” Gerard turns to Mikey pleadingly.
“No. You don’t need them. You told me you were going to stop!” He looks upset, even edging towards tears.
“I have stopped. I’m not drinking anymore! Please Mikey!” He stares down desperately. “Please. Just a few. I need them. I’m not drinking. They’ll help me. Please. I need them.”
Mikey tries to stare Gerard down, but it doesn’t work. He pushes Gerard’s arm down.
“Fine. But only a few. And since I let you do this, you have to do something for me.”
“Sure.” Gerard say easily.
“Come with me to a party next weekend.”
Gerard’s smile falls from his face. “No Mikey.”
“Gerard, come on! It’s not gonna be crazy! Please! Otherwise, no Xanax.” Mikey looks like a stubborn child, but Gerard gives in.
“Fine. But I will stand and watch. I’m not going to talk to anyone. I don’t want to drink.”
“Ok. Thanks. “ Mikey sighs.
Gerard glares at Mikey for a moment, then walks to the counter and returns a moment later with an orange bottle of pills in his hand.
Oh god. I have to get out of here. I hastily grab a couple random bars and run to the cashier closest to the door. She rings me up, eyeing my slightly desperate expression. Then I run out the door, just as Gerard and Mikey come closer.
I’m shaking when I finally get into the car. I slam my hand down on the steering wheel angrily, then drop my head into my hands.
“It’s gonna be okay.” I whisper to myself. “He’s gonna be ok.”


I'll update as soon as I can....
Sign up to rate and review this story