Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Holly Evans and the Spiral Path

Criminal

by wordhammer 1 review

Holly recovers, faces the law and lets destiny have its day.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Angst,Drama,Humor - Characters: Dumbledore,Fudge,Harry,Professor McGonagall - Warnings: [!!!] [V] [R] - Published: 2009-07-24 - Updated: 2009-07-26 - 11669 words - Complete

5Original
Disclaimer: Harry Potter and all related concepts are owned by someone who isn't me. I will never seek or accept money for the circulation of this work.

What I need is a good defense
'cause I'm feelin' like a criminal.
And I need to be redeemed
To the one I sinned against
Because (s)he was all I ever knew of love.

from 'Criminal' by Fiona Apple, modded to suit gender

Holly Evans and the Spiral Path
Chapter 27: Criminal

Grandmum Minerva,
Since there have been a number of conversations over Holly's bed in the last few days, I'll take your advice and write a few of them here, for you now and for Holly when she starts being herself again. Thank you for the ink and juice. I was feeling quite parched. The copies of the Prophet were also interesting, though if I read another article about how Mum is a deranged lunatic murderess assassin of pureblood heirs, I'm likely to run for Minister. I may not have a speaking voice, but my rhetoric is eloquent and I cannot be tempted by anything less than a chocolate banana smoothie with strawberries!
Sorry.
I thought maybe I'd cheer up if I acted cheery, but I just feel foolish.

Transcription: 5th February, 1994 starting 1:18 PM

The Aurors have decided that Holly can have visitors since she's nearly comatose in her unresponsiveness. They still sit in shifts keeping an eye on things, but mostly they read or do paperwork. Fred and George give the latest two a nod as they walk around the privacy curtain and stand at the end of the bed.
Fred (he still has a bit of the scratch on his neck): "Gred, I feel we've failed here."
George: "I feel the same, Forge. Holly, we would do anything to have prevented this from happening, and we're going to do everything we can to make sure Hermione stays safe."
Fred: "Weren't they on the outs?"
George: "Don't be an arse. You could see how much they love each other. Bookworm is Holly's favorite food in the world."
Fred: "That's true. I may be harboring ill will from being punched."
George: "Man up, would you? That was before the hols!"
Fred: "It was quite the punch."
Ginny steps in behind the curtain.
Ginny: "What are you lot doing here?"
Fred and George: "We could ask you the same."
Ginny: "I feel horrible is all. Holly just had given me her broom for Quidditch. It has auto-sizing Charms on it. Do you think...y'know, if she had it... she could have escaped?"
George: "No one really knows what happened Gin-Gin. We've seen Holly pull some unbelievable escapes. It may just be that her luck ran out."
Fred: "Or she was thrown off balance by her chest getting in the way."
George and Ginny simultaneously whap Fred upside the head.
Fred: "Sorry! Sorry. Moment of weakness; I apologise."
Ginny: "I still feel awful."
Fred: "Look, don't blame yourself. The best thing you can do is fly your arse off in honour of her."
George: "And don't break the broom."
Fred: "And that, yeah."
Ginny: "But isn't there something else, anything else we can do?"
Fred and George stare at each other for a minute.
Fred: "Ginny, how would you like to help us make sure the Slytherins don't forget that they should never mess with a Gryffindor?"
Ginny smiles evilly.
Ginny: "I am so in."
Neville sidles into the quickly crowding space.
Neville: "In on what?"
Fred: "Revenge!"
George: "Retribution!"
Ginny: "A Reckoning!"
Neville: "Oh. Heh. Righteous."
Ginny smiles at Neville.
Ginny: "Consider yourself Recruited."
Transcription ends.

Ruhroh.

~Newt~


*

Transcription: 8th February, 1994 starting 9:00 PM
Minerva enters the space within the privacy screen to see Poppy Pomfrey inspecting a diagnostic spell's results.
Minerva: "Oh, Poppy. I was hoping I'd find you here. Did your tests reveal... anything?"
Poppy: "Minerva, you should know better. Even as her Head of House I cannot tell you the details in what will surely become a criminal investigation."
Minerva: "Poppy, I'm not asking as her Head of House or as the Deputy Headmistress. I have a... motherly concern."
Poppy: "Honestly, Minerva. If you expect to deceive me you should come up with a better ploy than 'I am secretly Holly's mother.' If there's one thing for certain, this is the child of Lily Evans. Almost everything else about her is... subject to revision."
Minerva: "Yes, well in this also. Poppy, I will tell you this in confidence. I have taken Holly on as my Godchild."
Poppy: "It is a cooperative ritual, Minerva. Good intentions are not enough."
Minerva: "Perform the test if you must! Holly entreated me to take up the role just recently and we exchanged the vows together."
Poppy waves her wand impatiently. A thin blue line stretches between the hearts of the Professor and Poppy's patient, much to her surprise.
Poppy: "Minerva! I would never have guessed. What brought this on? For sure, I might have expected you to do something like this twenty years ago, but..."
Minerva: "Well, Miss Evans has a way of changing the rules one lives by. Nonetheless, the deed is done and with no regrets about it. What can you tell me?"
Poppy: "We're still on shaky legal ground here, but... if it were anyone but you..."
Minerva: "I understand. Thank you for the compliment, by the way."
Poppy: (Sighs) "Well. What I can tell you is that Miss Evans has not felt the entry of a penis within her vagina, though her hymen has been absent for some time. Nor has any sperm contacted her genitals. Sadly, the same cannot be said for her mouth. There was much bruising within and without. All the seed material came from Marcus Flint. She has been handled in most every sensitive place, by every one of the boys involved with the exception of Mr. Bletchley. Her left humerus and left femur were both broken by a sudden impact, most likely a bludgeoning spell and not physical abuse. Numerous cuts across her body matched the lacerations necessary to remove her clothing into the parts as found at the scene. There was some mild bruising of the knuckles of her right hand, in a way that I'm quite familiar with finding on Miss Evans."
Minerva: "If she needed to hit something, I'm fair to certain we both would agree it is best that she was well-practised in the striking. Any idea what she struck?"
Poppy: "I shouldn't tell you this..."
Minerva: "Purely for my own edification, please."
Poppy: "I have had contact with the Auror forensicist. It seems Mr. Flint's pelvis was broken, along with the stonework beneath it. Holly... packs a punch!"
Minerva smirks ever so slightly.
Minerva: "Indeed."
Remus Lupin quickly enters the hospital area.
Moony: "Madame Pomfrey, I believe the entire Slytherin dorm may need to be put under Quarantine."
Poppy: "Oh for... aren't you a little old for pranks, Remus?"
Moony: "It is only my sense of duty as an educator and the stomach-turning concern for the spread of this illness that has me alerting you now instead of... say, Wednesday. I caused nothing, even if I privately enjoy the results."
Minerva: "I'll hold down the fort, Poppy. Remus, please endeavour to continue keeping that enjoyment private. We wouldn't want anyone to feel encouraged by this tragedy."
Moony and Mme. Pomfrey stop to grab her satchel and then rush to attend the suddenly sickened Slytherins.
Minerva: "I suppose it's an expression of love in its way. Good job, Weasleys. Oh, Newt! Don't write that in, I'll never hear the end of it!"
Transcription ends.

Sorry Grandmum; I can't help it if I know she'd want to know that you said it. Umm, yeah.

~Newt~


*

Transcription: 13th February, 1994 starting 5:41 PM
Hermione is sitting in the chair by Holly's bed, several books stacked at the edge of the mattress while Hermione writes out her homework on a scroll by Holly's knees. Cedric Diggory approaches.
Cedric: "Umm. Hermione, right? How is she?"
Hermione: "Oh! Cedric! You startled me. We haven't spoken since last year. I'm sorry. Holly is... unchanged."
Cedric: "Yeh, but this is a change..."
Hermione: "Oh! Again, sorry. She doesn't do much but stare. Every once in a while she'll blink. Yet somehow in the middle of the night she'll have gotten up, gone to the WC, washed her face and then returned to the bed. She then starts crying for a bit until she reverts to staring. At least, that's what she did two nights ago when I feel asleep here. Holly didn't even seem to notice I was there."
Cedric: "Merlin. What did they do to her?"
Hermione: "No one is quite sure. Unlike most secrets at Hogwarts, this one hasn't spread throughout the castle at the speed of gossip. The only thing widely known is that Holly is here, and Marcus Flint is dead."
Cedric: "Well I can add my two bits then. The boys; uhh, Pucey, Bole, and Derrick are having a time at St. Mungo's. It seems some of the pieces of their limbs... aren't fitting together as expected. Gruesome."
Hermione: "Tragic. You'll have to pardon my sarcasm."
Percy steps in to the curtained space.
Percy: "What's tragic is what will happen to Holly."
Cedric:"Yeah. No doubt."
Hermione: "What are you talking about?"
Percy: "The press is having a field day. They consider her a murderer. I knew she was a bit aggressive, but I didn't ever figure her for a cold-hearted killer."
Hermione: "Are you saying you believe them?"
Percy: "No, but it's not like there's an opposing opinion, unless you count the Quibbler."
Cedric: "Yeah, what's their theory? Holly was merely an agent against the Rotfang Conspiracy, punishing Flint for his egregious lack of dental care!"
Percy: "Why do you read that rubbish?"
Cedric: "Well, y'know. It's a lark. Besides, the Lovegoods publish it. We're just being neighborly. We have the cash now that Dad doesn't gamble anymore."
Percy: "Well, you shouldn't encourage them. This is serious business. Whatever else Holly has done, I think this time she'll be getting what's coming to her. The stories I've heard about the scene..."
Cedric and Hermione: "What have you heard?"
Both laugh and share a glance at the coincidence in wording.
Percy: "A real slaughterhouse it was. I thought I knew her."
Hermione: "Umm, Percy. Before you hammer the last nail in my best friend's coffin, I think you should know something."
Percy: "Really? What's that Granger?"
Hermione: "Cedric, could you give us a minute?"
Cedric: "Really? Oh, okay. Tell you what, I'll check back later."
Hermione: "I'd like that."
Cedric leaves. Percy stands looking impatiently at Hermione.
Hermione: "It's like this. Last year before Christmas, Holly witnessed a crime that was quickly suppressed. Her memory was wiped, as was the memory of the victim and the prefect that Holly spoke to about it."
Percy: "What crime? Was this another of those snake attacks?"
Hermione: "Only in a manner of speaking. Percy, Holly saw... Penelope being forced into the Slytherin dorms by Flint. Holly ran into you and the two of you approached Lockhart about it, but he Obliviated you all. That's why Penny had nightmares most of the year. It's why she wouldn't let you touch her. It's probably why she ended up looking straight at the Basilisk when I warned her it was coming. For sure, that's the reason Holly beat the daylights out of Mister Lockhart. I think if Holly killed Marcus Flint, we should consider it a measure of justice. I don't know about the rest of it but..."
Percy: "You're lying. If we were Obliviated, why does she still remember? How would you have known?"
Hermione: "Holly was keeping a journal using a Quick-Quotes quill I gave her for her birthday last year. She had caught some of the conversations in her Journal before being Obliviated."
Percy: "I... I... I can't believe this!"
Hermione: "It is horrible, but true. Holly promised me she was going to tell you about it once you and Flint were safely apart, probably this summer."
Percy: "So Flint r-r-ruh... ruh..."
Hermione: "I believe so, and not on his own, either. Oh Percy, I'm so sorry! If there's anything I can do..."
Percy: "This isn't happening... this can't be happening!"
Percy leaves quickly.
Hermione: "For some reason, I really identify with you there. Something's not right. This bears investigation. I need to know what really happened!"
Transcription ends.

~Newt~


*

Transcription: 15th February, 1994 starting 2:16 PM
Hermione sits in the chair next to Holly's bed. Unlike previous visits, Hermione hasn't brought homework this time. She stares at the blankets covering Holly's hips, deep in thought, an expression of bewilderment stuck on her tear-weathered face.
Hermione: "This is what I can't understand, Holly. What happened? Somewhere within you, has something... evil awoken? I finally saw some of the photos they took of the scene. Despite the condition of your body, I can tell most of the blood was theirs. I can't understand how you could have lost so much... humanity in such a short time."
Holly blinks her eyes slowly. Her unused voice crackles in its first attempt at speech in over a week.
Holly: (hoarsely whispering) "Wy... dint... y-yu...?"
Hermione: "Holly! You're awake! I'm so glad! What were you trying to say? Oh! Drink some water!"
Hermione tips the cup of water into Holly's grateful mouth, her lips immediately gaining color as she drinks down the entire cup. Holly clears her throat quietly.
Holly: "W-why... didn't you... come? When the... coin activated, why didn't you... come running for Pansy?"
Hermione: "Never mind that, now! What happened to you? Why have you been in a daze so long? What brought you back?"
Holly: "Answer... my question. Why... didn't you come?"
Hermione: "Well, you're the hero... I wouldn't know what... I didn't have... the Map..."
Holly's eyes snap to glare at Hermione. After a moment Holly begins speaking in a strong, terse whisper.
Holly: "Put your money where your mouth is, Hermione. What brought me back was my best friend wondering where my humanity went. You just threw me into their woodchipper with a bouncy wave, when it was YOU they were expecting."
Hermione: "No! No, Pansy must have... inadvertently let slip that you were watching out for her..."
Holly: "Pansy wasn't seen with me, Hermione. Daphne and Millicent knew you had been in contact with her. I took this one for you, but I won't be there to save you next time. I'll be in Azkaban."
Hermione: "Surely not! Five older boys in their dorms against one girl? Even with your viciousness, you were obviously acting in self-defense..."
Holly: "I assume I've killed a pureblood heir. Even if I didn't have a prediction saying I'd end up in a dungeon after justice and the law fell separate, I can predict what the Wizengamot will do with me. The only question left for me is... will you miss me?"
Hermione: "You assume? Don't you know what you've done?"
Holly: "I can't remember anything between the coin activating and waking up in hospital. There's been enough discussion around my head that I've pieced together some of what's happened. That's why I know I'm headed for prison."
Hermione: "You're wrong. Even if I'm concerned about your behavior, there's no way they could see this as your fault."
Holly: "I'll bet you ...30 sickles."
Hermione's jaw drops in indignation.
Hermione: "Fine, Holly! Maybe I'm Judas but I don't know who you are anymore! Every time you've faced deceit or violence, I assumed you sought to understand the situation and look for a Just solution. That's what you and I discussed as recently as over Christmas and how you conducted yourself until... well until Harry showed up. This looks like rage to me! You... dismembered them! Flint's head was cut off at the forehead- what kind of spell does that? What justifies turning his... genitals into a bloody mass on the floor? Whatever else these lumpen rapists may have been, they did not create the situation that is making you sadistically cruel. This started when you nearly killed Pansy and me with your unreasoning anger! You're lashing out at everyone, including me who you claim to love. I'm not sure you know what love means!"
Holly is beginning to breathe heavily, the first look of fear I've ever seen on her crossing her face.
Hermione: "What I want to know is, when did you decide that you didn't want to understand the world anymore and that you just wanted to pay it back for the pain you've suffered? Are you a hero, or just another victim, a thing lashing out with all the power you can muster? You can take your time with the answer. I won't bother with you until you can answer it, and I'd appreciate it if you'd avoid me until then as well. Maybe you were never who I thought you were."
Holly: "Oh, no. Hermione, (gasp) wait, please..."
Hermione: "I'm done with you."
Hermione turns with a tear-filled scowl and leaves the hospital at a firm striding pace.
Holly: "Oh, God! Newwwwt..."
Holly turns back into the blankets, crying.
Transcription ends.

I know, Mum. It was just like your Boggart starts off.

~Newt~


*

Transcription: 16th February, 1994 starting 8:20 AM
Holly is sitting up in her hospital bed, clothed in an off-white dressing gown. Albus Dumbledore enters the area of privacy provided by the screens and incants a quick privacy spell of some sort.
Prof. Dumb: "I'm pleased to see you making a full recovery of your senses, Miss Evans.
Holly: "What, not calling me Harry today?"
Prof. Dumb: "Even I am not so arrogant as to assume my defenses cannot be penetrated. You are Holly, let's not confuse things."
Holly: "Am I Holly because I'm sporting breasts at the moment, or because I am in trouble with the law?"
Prof. Dumb: "I think you'll find a more cooperative attitude would serve you best right now, Holly. After all, I will be representing you in your second case, on Tuesday."
Holly: "Second case?"
Prof. Dumb: "On Monday..."
Holly: "That'd be tomorrow."
Prof. Dumb: "Yes, tomorrow. Tomorrow you will be appearing before a small panel of Wizengamot law experts on your legally curious situation regarding Miss Granger's cure by Cruciatus."
Holly: "And you won't be helping there?"
Prof. Dumb: "I am on the panel, as this is an unusual inquiry for the foremost minds regarding your unprecedented use of an Unforgiveable Curse in a... forgivable manner."
Holly: "Can I count on your vote, then?"
Prof. Dumb: "I will hear the merits of the case as it is presented. Such is my duty, here."
Holly: "Brilliant. What are my chances?"
Prof. Dumb: "I really can't say. The fact that you are being seen by a review panel means the judgment is likely to be made in a more reasoned manner than the more political arena of the full Wizengamot you'll be facing on Tuesday."
Holly: "What if the panel doesn't come to a conclusion?"
Prof. Dumb: "We will continue to deliberate, for years if necessary. Your appearance on Monday is purely to verify the evidence already given and answer questions about your state of mind at the time of the incident."
Holly: "So why are you representing me on Tuesday?"
Prof. Dumb: "I am your Guardian in the magical world. It is my responsibility to represent you as an adult in these circumstances."
Holly: "We could change that..."
Prof. Dumb: "It would make no difference to the trial. I was your Guardian at the time of the incident, so I stand for you. Again, I think it best if we not confuse things."
Holly: "Honestly, I think you'd do me more good as a judge than as my solicitor. Couldn't we hire someone?"
Prof. Dumb: "Don't be foolish. Whatever disagreements we have, I will do my utmost to protect you from the Prosecution. That's the way adults handle things. We take our responsibilities in mind above our personal grievances."
Holly: "I sense that you believe I'm guilty and should be punished."
Prof. Dumb: "Don't take a defeatist attitude. How you present yourself will greatly affect our chances for having the court treat you with fairness and clemency. In fact, I would suggest you do everything in your power to appear humble, polite and respectful while before the court. Your very life may depend upon it. Now, what can you tell me about what happened?"
Holly: "Absolutely nothing. I can't remember a blessed thing from when I was in my dorm until I woke up in hospital."
Prof. Dumb: "Oh dear. Are you sure?"
Holly: "From everything I've heard in the last week, I have every reason to thank my lucky stars for that memory lapse. I've got nothing."
Prof. Dumb: "You were aware, these past days?"
Holly: "Only as a distant conversation, like listening to your parents' dinner party from your bedroom. I had a lot of thinking to do."
Prof. Dumb: "Is there anything at all you can tell me? Your case is looking harder to defend by the moment."
Holly: "Hermione and I spoke with Pansy Parkinson the day before, about her being tortured by her House mates. Hermione gave her a coin with a Protean Charm on it to signal me if she was in trouble again. That's the only reason I have for being in this situation. The problem is...if we mention Pansy told us anything about her punishment, she's likely to be killed for sharing Slytherin secrets. You follow?"
Prof. Dumb: "Yes, I follow. Well. That is a conundrum. I shall have to think on this. We'll meet tomorrow. 20 points to Gryffindor for Miss Granger's Protean Charm, I should think."
Prof. Dumb stands and leaves Holly's area with a thoughtful expression.
Holly: "Well I'm glad we've got our priorities set."
Transcription ends.

Newt, I'm feeling depressed as it is. For the rest of this nonsense, please refer to Professor Dumb as Albus, so I can retain the small hope that he's more competent than he has acted lately.
Okay Mum.
I am so fucked.
Really a lot, yes.

~Newt~


*

Grandmum Minerva,
Rather than recount the endlessly boring and obscure mumbles of the 'great legal minds of the Wizengamot', Mum has asked me to summarize her first trial.
Director Bones was right to release Mum into your custody. No harm was intended and the 'victim' has no regrets or recriminations against Mum for casting the spell. Mum had to pay a 100 Galleon fine. She asked if it was alright if she just owed Hermione, but Albus corrected her- the 100 Galleons goes to the Ministry as a fine for casting dangerous spells as an underage witch in an unmonitored situation. That took 11 hours. I think the only thing they asked her was 'Is your testimony given to the Aurors and Director Bones on the night of 2nd January accurate?' 'Yup.' Making history seems quite boring, on the whole.
We spent the night at the Ministry in a holding cell. Mum slept most of the time- she said her time inside her head was not actually relaxing, as she was fighting a hurricane of emotions for the first week. She said she kept her eyes open so she could look at the little ink heart I had left on her hand. I decided to make sure she always knew I loved her, so we've refreshed it as a permanent tattoo. Mum said the brief pain of me jabbing deep into her skin with the ink was some of the best pain she could remember ever receiving. I think she slept really well.

~Newt~


*

Grandmum Minerva,
In case you haven't heard, Mum bumped into Hagrid and Hermione during a break in the proceedings during the Crucio hearing. They had just come from Buckbeak's hearing, and both looked to be in an awful state- it's because the court sentenced Buckbeak to be 'destroyed' as a dangerous creature due to Draco Malfoy's injury at the beginning of the year. Thankfully, Hagrid isn’t being held accountable for Bucky's behavior this way, so all he gets is a reprimand in his teacher's record for failing to control a classroom situation. Buckbeak will be executed on 8th March. It's a Saturday, so the students won't be in classes. The truly interesting part of this is who will be doing the executing. His name is Walden McNair- a bald man with scars on his head and a bushy black moustache, who happens to have recently lost an eye.

~Newt~


*

Grandmum Minerva,
Trust me when I write that you didn't miss anything by not being able to attend the first two days of trial. This is such a circus. On one side of the room is the intimidating wall of Wizengamot seat-warmers in their burgundy or indigo robes and square-topped hats, looking like a dying field of tulips. On the other side is the gallery, where the press, witnesses and interested parties are crowded into sections of uncomfortable rows of narrow seats. In the middle is the pit, where Mum and Albus sit behind a desk on one end and the team of nearly twenty well-dressed and no doubt well-paid prosecutors shuffles papers and themselves constantly throughout the proceedings. It would be funny were it not so obviously an orchestrated dance to lead Mum to a Dementor's bedroom.
The first day, the prosecutors spun a tale of depravity and woe, suggesting that Mum had lured the five boys into a sexual ménage-a-six, and then went crazy when they tried to decline her advances. This was their initial statement of 15 minutes that took two hours to complete. I guess the 15 minute limit is per barrister. By contrast, Albus succinctly stated that the trauma of the event had robbed Holly Evans of her memory, but that evidence will show that they were all found in an area she couldn’t enter without their aid, that they were partly undressed without any evidence of coercion or magic to do so, that physical evidence shows Holly was physically and sexually assaulted and that the odds of one 3rd year being able to overpower five older boys seems to indicate that any actions she took to defend herself were made in desperation.
The second day was a soap opera about the gentle souls and decent caring men whose lives had been destroyed by this deviant blood-thirsty sex-fiend. Only Miles Bletchley refused to speak of his woes, but the Prosecution characterized that as true evidence of how trauma will rob a man of his senses, unlike Mum's calm and detached demeanor. Much weeping and the demonstration of ill-repaired limbs was seen and no doubt reported with grisly embellishment. I understand the Prophet has had to make second and third print runs for the last few issues due to demand.
The gallery was packed for the start of Day Three. Holly was scheduled to answer questions of the judges relating to testimony given to date before the Defense could present their case. Albus would have been given the opportunity to show all the evidence the Aurors collected and make a no doubt well-worded and reasoned argument to answer the allegations, but once Holly's time under questioning was complete, well, y'know. It's Mum.

Transcription: 20th February, 1994 starting 9:09 AM

The third day of the trial starts with Holly answering questions of the court. Minister Fudge seems to be the only one speaking for them this day.
Fudge: "As you are the accused, you must swear an oath to give testimony here. Touch the swearing stone before you and swear the oath written."
Holly: "By my magic I, Holly Evans, vow to tell the truth, to the best of my knowledge. So mote it be."
The Swearing stone flashes green.
Fudge: "Tell us what you remember occurring on the afternoon of Sunday, 2nd February as it relates to this trial."
Holly: "I had recently come in from walking outside with my friend Natalia and was reading through a book on Headmaster Dumbledore. The next thing I remember is waking up in hospital on the morning of 4th February under custody, with all my clothes removed. I was informed that I had been injured and that I was found in a room in the Slytherin dorms, that three other boys from that house had been shipped to St. Mungo's for treatment and that Marcus Flint was dead. Miles Bletchley was also found at the scene but hadn't spoken since and was being sent home for his family to care for him. I don't remember anything in between."
Fudge: "Do you have some influence over Miles Bletchley that prevents him from testifying?"
Holly: "Not that I know of. We haven't had much interaction outside of Quidditch."
Fudge: "How did you lure the boys into your sexual encounter?"
Holly: "I don't remember luring anybody. I don't think there's a good reason for me to do anything sexual with these boys."
Fudge: "Why not?"
Holly: "Well, I'm sure if I even wanted a boy I'd aim for someone more attractive, and since I've never bedded a boy I don't see where I would want a gang of them to rape me for the first go."
Fudge: "So, you don't like boys."
Holly: "I certainly don't like these boys!"
Fudge: "But you've never bedded a boy?"
Holly: "Why does that matter?"
Fudge: "I am clarifying your statement."
Holly: "No, I've never bedded a boy. I have had sexual contact with one before, but that's as much as I'd like to say about that."
Fudge: "Was it consensual?"
Holly: "I guess I'm going to say more anyway, though. Yes and no. The boy in question used a vocal compulsion to encourage my participation. I did nothing to magically influence his participation."
Fudge: "You did nothing magically, you say?"
Holly: "Well, I've been told I am attractive..."
Fudge: "But you had to be coerced, did you?"
Holly: "Seeing as I had only kissed him for the first time a few hours earlier, I'd say it was the speed of escalation I had to be coerced about."
Fudge: "So, having had a bad sexual experience in the past, you sought out these fine boys to take out your frustrations!"
Holly: "I don't think I react as strongly to these things as you do, Minister. The incident we've been discussing (despite my discomfort) happened three months ago. By all accounts I've been almost happy in the interim. Just ask my fellow students- they're all quite confused about it."
Fudge: "Yes, your behavior has been quite erratic."
Holly: "Compared to what? I'm a teenager!"
Fudge: "You will only speak when asked a question!"
Holly: "My apologies, I was under the impression you had asked me to explain my allegedly erratic behavior."
Fudge: "You were recently arrested for use of the Cruciatus Curse, were you not?"
Holly: "I was arrested on 2nd January for using the Cruciatus Curse on Hermione Granger as a..."
Fudge: "Yes, that will be all."
Holly: "...as a last ditch attempt..."
Minister Fudge bangs his gavel loudly several times.
Fudge: "You have answered the question!"
Holly: "...to restart her HEART. Hermione's heart had stopped and I tried everything I knew to revive her. In a history-making decision, the court ruled on Monday that my use of the Cruciatus, while unauthorised and a clear example of unlicensed use of magic by a minor, was a necessary action to save Hermione's life! I've been forgiven for casting an Unforgivable Curse on my friend."
Fudge: "Your girlfriend, you mean?! You were found naked with her at the time the Aurors caught you in her home! The cause of said heart failure was listed as due to 'transcendental erotic stimulation'! Do you deny you are a lesbianist?"
Much gasping and furious scratches of note-taking can be heard from the gallery.
Holly: "Are you asking if I am gay or musical?"
Fudge: "The first one!"
Holly: "Why do you care?"
Fudge: "Aha! So you admit it!"
Albus: "Minister you are harassing my charge..."
Holly: "No, I'd like to finish this thought. Minister, you seem motivated to have me admit I'm a lesbian for some reason. I'd be happy to comply..."
Fudge: "There! You see? She is a degenerate..."
Holly: "...if only because it ruins this case for you."
Fudge: "What?"
Holly: "The point of argument was whether I would lure five boys into a sexual encounter. As a lesbian, that is so far out of the bounds of a desired situation as to suggest some sort of psychosis. Since you're the only one foaming at the mouth here..."
Fudge: "Order! You will be silent!"
Fudge once more bangs his gavel.
Holly: "...I can only suggest that you're a better suspect than I am!"
Fudge: "That will be enough of your misdirections! Tell us the truth! Why were you there?! Why did you attack these boys?! WHY DID YOU MURDER MARCUS FLINT?!"
Holly: "I don't remember! Given the circumstances, I can easily see why. Just imagining what was done to me has given me nightmares. If my mind hadn't blanked out the experience to preserve my sanity, I probably would've Obliviated myself of it!"
Fudge: "It is impossible for a person to Obliviate themselves. No one else but the victims were involved. If you cannot bear witness to the events that lead to the death of Marcus Flint, then we must take the word of your accusers as the truth!"
Albus: "Minister, the evidence we will present suggests..."
Fudge: "Dumbledore, your evidence won't stand up to sworn testimony!"
Holly: "Minister, I need to speak with counsel!"
Fudge: "That's... within your rights. Very well."
Several minutes pass as Holly and Albus have a private consultation. Once they come to an agreement, Albus stands once more to address the assembly.
Albus: "Minister, I wish to address the point of judgment you had just brought up. My charge has pointed out an unusual, shall we say, error in logic being demonstrated here."
Fudge: "Dumbledore, are you insulting the court?"
Albus: "No, Minister. The point you brought forward was that evidence was not as reliable as sworn testimony, but as my charge has pointed out to me, none of the prosecution's witnesses have sworn on their lives or magic for any of their testimony."
Fudge: "So now we shall impugn their honor as well?"
Albus: "Minister, the point is... magic can have a powerful effect on belief, on perception and on memory. To suggest that witness testimony is somehow more reliable than the absolute facts of what was found and seen by trained investigators insults every one of those Aurors and the work that they do. Without some sort of magically-enforced form of assurance in the truth of their testimony, they may swear on the lifeblood of their mothers that they are ...how did you say it?"
Holly: "Purple..."
Albus: "Ah yes, without that magical enforcement, they would swear that they were purple chickens if the right spells were in effect. Honorable chickens though they may be. By comparison, my charge's testimony that she doesn't remember what happened may be the most truthful thing this court has heard throughout this case."
While the old men are squabbling, Newt writes out a message on Holly's note paper before disappearing back into her robes.
Newt: (written) 'Mum, you pulled the memory before Obliviating yourself. It's stored in the quiver.'
Fudge: "What's your point, Dumbledore?"
Albus: "If you ignore the evidence we have presented in favor of their testimony that they promise is accurate but won't take Veritaserum or make a vow to assure that truth, then justice and the law have truly fallen separate."
Holly's eyes grow large at Albus' phrasing of the last statement.
Fudge: "However you feel the need to insult this court and these proceedings, their testimony stands!"
Holly: "Minister, I need to speak with counsel!"
Fudge: "Again? Make it quick!"
Holly speaks quickly in Albus' ear, and then looks him straight in the eye with an unyielding gaze. Albus nods and turns back to the imposing collection of mages seated before them.
Albus: "Minister, at the urging of my charge, we'd like to speak privately with you in chambers about new evidence and the possibility of a guilty plea."
The gallery fairly bursts with escalating whispers, to the point where the Minister is forced to bellow his orders.
Fudge: "Really? (Ahem!) The court will adjourn for two hours. Aurors, bring the accused and counsel to my office."
Minister Fudge bangs his gavel once and the room erupts in discussion. A stern-faced woman from the Wizengamot assembly approaches the Minister as two Aurors begin to escort Holly and Albus towards the private elevator access behind the Wizengamot seats.
DMLE Director Amelia Bones: "Minister, I'd like to attend this meeting."
Fudge: "Madame Bones, I don't see how that would be necessary..."
Amelia: "The Headmaster has just pointed out that magic can influence belief. I don't think it wise for you to be alone with Defense without an impartial observer."
Fudge: "Oh! Thank you Amelia. Your loyalty is commendable. Yes; why don't you tag along, then."

Transcription: 20th February, 1994 starting 11:40 AM
Holly, Amelia and Albus are sitting in plush chairs in front of the desk of Cornelius Fudge in his office.
Holly: "A friend of mine reminded me that I probably erased my own memory, so it's likely I pulled out a copy first for my own protection. That memory exists in my things. If there is a Pensieve here, you can review the memory itself and take it as testimony, assuming it's about the rape as I suspect.
Fudge: "And how does this impossible act lead to your confessing?"
Holly: "I know myself fairly well. Flint is dead. I probably did it, given what I know now of the situation and results. What I'm betting is that the memory will reveal more than you want presented in a public forum. Things will be shown that will require my accusers to defend themselves."
Fudge: "Alas, but we don't have a Pensieve and I don't have time for a trip into the Department of Mysteries looking for one, so you're testimony will be meaningless."
Albus: "I do own one of Perenelle's remarkable devices, but it will take time to retrieve it from where it is secured."
Holly: "Well, I guess I can provide both, since I need to get the memory for you anyway. Dobby."
Amelia: "You can't call your elf here, there are wards..."
A pop is heard and a pointed nose begins to emerge from nowhere, accompanied by the sound of a small creature groaning with effort. After a moment, several fingers and the rest of Dobby's head pop forth from the mid-air opening. The adults all sit stunned, watching in fascination.
Holly: "It's like watching a spontaneous birth. D'you think the Buddha had days like this?"
Dobby stops half-emerged, panting deeply.
Dobby: "What...can Dobby... do... for Mistress?"
Holly: "Uhh, if you can, please bring me the quiver and Perenelle's notebook- the small book with the tiles on the front."
Dobby sucks back into the hole in space. Amelia is the first to recover her senses.
Amelia: "As a matter of protocol, I must insist that you not be handed anything by your elf. Historically, weapons, suicide potions and unlicensed portkeys have been delivered in this way. It's why the anti-elf wards were originally placed, as I recall."
Holly: "Okay. I promise the only thing I want Dobby to deliver to us is the truth."
A minute later an arm emerges from the same point, thrusting forth a crossbowman's quiver and a small tiled-front notebook in its hand. Holly gestures and Albus takes the objects. The hand makes a thumbs-up sign and pulls back into the nothingness.
Amelia: "Remarkable. I think I shall have a word with the goblins about our wards tomorrow."
Albus hands the quiver to Holly, prompting Amelia and Cornelius to aim their wands at her. Holly pauses a moment, then spins the lid of the quiver, opening it to pull out a narrow potion beaker containing a strand of memory. Holly hands the quiver back to Albus who trades Holly for the notebook.
Holly: "You lot must have pissed off Perenelle something awful if Professor Dumbledore is the only one here with a Pensieve apart from me."
Fudge: "I was under the impression that the Pensieves were large devices. The one owned by the International Confederation is nearly two meters across."
Holly rearranges the tiles on the front of the book until they spread forth into a shallow bowl.
Holly: "Must be an early model. Lily was given this by Perenelle, and Perenelle sent it to me after I sent back the last shard of the Philosopher's Stone. It's a portable Pensieve, so only two can fit in at a time."
Albus: "Miss Evans, to what shard are you referring?"
Holly: "Oh, there was a piece stuck in my leg that I hadn't noticed until after you had spoken with me in hospital following Quirrel's death. I sent it back to the Flamels with my apologies and they sent me this book about memory magic. It's been a lifesaver. I wish I could thank them for it. Anyway, this memory should be a record of the incident we have been discussing."
Amelia: "Why didn't you bring this forward before?"
Albus: "Why didn't you review it for yourself before now?"
Fudge: "I think the Ministry should be responsible for the last artifact of the Flamels..."
Holly stands up.
Holly: "Madame Bones, will you ensure my safety in these chambers?"
Fudge: "What are you talking about now?"
Amelia: "Of course, so long as you abide by the law."
Holly: "This man wishes to seize my most valuable keepsake simply because it isn't his. I want an assurance that my possessions will be returned to me whole and untouched upon my release."
Amelia: "That is the law..."
Holly: "Pardon me for being skeptical, but my faith in the law's execution is dwindling."
Amelia: "By my magic I vow that this notebook-device, the memory and your quiver will be returned to you upon your release from Ministry custody for these legal matters. So mote it be."
Fudge: "Amelia! You shall receive a reprimand..."
Amelia: "For vowing to uphold the law? Where is your mind, Minister?"
Fudge: "I... Dumbledore, surely you must see where..."
Albus: "Minister, perhaps we should get a move on. Our recess will be ending in a while and the public awaits the decision of the court."
Fudge: "Fine! What is this then?"
Holly: "I don't know. I assume it is the memory of my rape. I submit it for review. If after seeing the memory you believe this case should continue as it has, then I will submit it for public consumption as official testimony in the case. I'll be humiliated, but hopefully also vindicated and released."
Amelia: "You believe in yourself that much?"
Holly: "I know I'd never have put myself in that situation without cause. I actually know why I was there, just not how it happened or why they all ended up as they did."
Fudge: "You have been withholding testimony?"
Holly: "I have been trying not to implicate someone who may very well be killed if she is mentioned as being part of the incident."
Fudge: "Two at a time, you say? Well I should think the men should go first, and then the women."
Holly: "Oh, I'm not going in."
Albus: "Why not, Miss Evans?"
Holly: "I forgot this for a reason. I'm sticking to my first decision. Convince me I was wrong to forget and I might take a look."
Albus and the Minister touch their fingers into the swirling memory lolling in the tiled cup on the surface of the notebook. For several minutes, their eyes are closed and their expressions are blank. At once they both blink and grimace, with the Minister immediately turning to empty his stomach into a wastebin. Albus turns to look at Holly, his expression a mixture of grief... and fear.
Amelia: "I am to see this alone, then?"
Holly: "Unless you can coerce one of these brave souls to accompany you for a second ride through."
Albus: "I... will go if you require it, Amelia."
Amelia: "Such noble men! Honestly!"
Amelia's face sags as she descends into Holly's memory.
Fudge: "We... we cannot... this must never be seen by...anyone!"
Holly: "So I take it I'll be free to go?"
Albus: "No, Miss Evans. I do not think so."
Fudge: "Most certainly not!"
Holly: "Umm, okay. Let's wait for Director Bones to surface and we can discuss my options, maybe."
Fudge: "And, where is that sword you used?"
Holly: "Safe as houses I assume. I take very good care of my sword."
Albus: "It is not, strictly speaking, your sword."
Holly: "And yet I still possess it. Curious, that. It's almost like it prefers my company."
Amelia's eyes snap open and she stands suddenly.
Amelia: "Excuse me for a moment. I will return presently."
Albus: "I don't think that's wise, Amelia."
Amelia: "Try and stop me."
Director Bones leaves hurriedly. Albus stares at the door following her departure.
Fudge: "Strongest woman I know, but still she insists upon privacy for a good cry, eh?"
Holly: "Minister, I'd like something to eat if you're not going to be arguing with me for the next few minutes."
Fudge: "Silence, you!"
Albus: "Perhaps we should all sit quietly and consider matters until the Director's return."
Director Bones is absent for an uncomfortable fifteen minutes of silence, aside from Holly's grumbling stomach. Upon her return she enters the office brusquely, tosses a folder onto the Minister's desk and drops a sandwich in Holly's lap before returning to her chair. Director Bones' face is locked into a stony expression, but her eyes look irritated as if from crying.
Amelia: "My apologies, gentlemen and Miss Evans. This memory, this evidence, if presented, will quite possibly divide our society. In the interest of saving time otherwise wasted in a worthless debate, I propose the following actions..."
Fudge: "Now see here, Amelia! I am the Minister for Magic..."
Amelia: "And I am the Director of the Department of Law Enforcement. By my vows and my magic, I should be taking down your Ministry and Dumbledore's Headmastership, along with the careers of everyone I've come to hate in our society, but I can't plunge us into a war of the sexes right now. Too many would die."
Holly: "Wait, what exactly was in that memory? Should I..."
Amelia: "NO! Part of this arrangement will likely include time in Azkaban for you; this memory would torture you more than anyone deserves. See it again when you're safe and away from all this. I promise you, you'll be happier for it."
Holly: "O-okay. Obviously you're not up on my other adventures..."
Amelia starts angrily shaking her head, glaring at both of the men in the room.
Amelia: "Of all the insults! 'Bright witches must'...!"
Albus: "Amelia! Let us focus on the tasks at hand."
Holly smiles suddenly. She turns to watch Director Bones with barely restrained glee.
Amelia: "Yes, let's do that. We shouldn't hold up the WIZENgamot any further, should we?"
Fudge: "Y-you said you had recommendations?"
Amelia: "Miss Evans will plead guilty to involuntary manslaughter in resisting an assault. Holly, you killed Flint when you didn't have to. Justified though you may have felt, it was not your right to take vengeance."
Holly drops her face downward, looking penitent. Amelia continues to focus her attention on the men in the room.
Amelia: "As this is her first felony conviction and she is underage, I recommend a suspended sentence. There is every possibility that your supporters won't allow the killer of an heir to walk free, so I would suggest you act like you're supporting the suspension and allow them to convince you to sentence her, if lightly. Any more than three months and I'll be seeing you in the dead of night, Cornelius, for our last meeting in this life. As preparation for this unexpected turn of fortunes, you will advise the families of the rapists that testimony assuring their guilt in conspiracy to commit rape, enslavement and murder is ready to be brought forth if they don't abandon their causes against Miss Evans. Dumbledore, you will directly confront your Heads of House and personally address the Slytherin students to inform them of the change in their 'bylaws'. If any hint of such a tradition being resurrected is detected by my department, they will all be brought in for questioning under Veritaserum, including any past members of that House still operating in the Hogwarts organisation, including past and present members of the Board of Governors yet alive. I will make it my life's purpose to institute an Inquisition to destroy everything to do with Slytherin. This folder includes the legal references necessary to make this judgment with no further discussion in the public forum."
Fudge: "Well! I will take your recommendations under advisement and..."
Amelia: "YOU HAVE AN HOUR to make this happen, or the memory will be leaked to the press. I already took a copy from my own memory for safe keeping. My apologies, Miss Evans. You are the victim here, in more ways than one."
Holly: "It's cool. I was expecting to end up a prisoner."
Amelia: "Why, my dear?"
Holly: "Don't call me that."
Amelia: "Alright. But why did you expect to be convicted?"
Holly: "Because my Divination teacher predicted it along with several other events that have already taken place, and because 'Bright Witches Must BE DIMMED!'"
Holly stares angrily first at the Minister and then at Albus.
Holly: "I don't know how the memory of my rape included that little tidbit. My technique in extracting memories obviously needs refining, but I assure you I haven't forgotten that revelation."
Amelia: "Good for you. The two memories were stuck together in the strand; the memory of the letter to Lily was no doubt prompted by wondering whether everything you had gone through that day was part of the execution of that... policy. I fear for what you will do with the knowledge. Will you accept my judgment that it is best, for now, that this information remain secret?"
Holly: "Is this the best we can do?"
Amelia: "It is in this society. Survive this, and I'll see if we can't change that for the future. Carefully!"
Holly: "Alright."
Holly looks down, but a smirk barely forms on her hidden face. With a soft pop Dobby's arm, the notebook with the memory still in it, and Holly's quiver all disappear from the Minister's desk.
Transcription ends.

After the meeting, Mum was returned to the courtroom to see how things would play out. Along the way she handed me and the Journal to Hermione, who couldn't seem to find any words to fit the moment and mostly just nodded when Mum asked her if she would take care of me for a while. I really liked how Mum ended the proceedings. She may be convicted and sentenced to 3 months in Azkaban, but if she can endure that then I think everything will work out.
Oh, I forgot. They did say one other thing to each other
:
Hermione: "I'll take care of both of them, Holly. I promise. How do I open it?"
Holly: "You don't. It's for Newt to sleep in."
Hermione: "Oh."
I don't need to sleep in the journal, but it allows me to update you on things. Truthfully, I think this is a prank on Hermione; Holly gave her a book she wants to read that she can never open.

Transcription: 20th February, 1994 starting 2:09 PM

Court has returned to session, the verdict and sentence (3 months in Azkaban starting immediately) were read. Holly stands up to make her final statement before she's taken to Azkaban by the Aurors. Albus just finished quietly advising her on the forms for this statement as the room grows quiet.
Holly: "If it pleases the court and all...I accept the responsibility of my actions, even if I cannot remember them. Marcus Flint is dead by my hand. I know for a fact he was directly responsible for the rape and Obliviation of Penelope Clearwater, so I do not grieve his end, and can only expect that my actions were taken in defense against my suffering a similar fate or worse."
Much muttering and gasps accompany the statement about Flint's crimes against Penny Clearwater, but the room is shushed to relative quiet once more.
Holly: "Minister, I have a request."
Fudge: "What is it now? You have no rights in this assembly and your conviction and sentencing are a matter of record."
Holly: "As my life to date has not been lived to the expectations of this society, I request that my Guardianship be removed from the care of Albus Dumbledore. Surely younger and less distracted minds might better guide me than he has so far."
Albus: "Holly! Why would you do such a thing?"
Holly: "I told you. You would have served me better as an impartial arbiter. I'd like your fingers out of my life, if you don't mind."
Minister Fudge smiles like a predator.
Fudge: "I see no reason to deliberate on this. Your request is granted. Your guardianship shall revert to the control of the state, including all responsibilities..."
Holly: "Pardon me for interrupting Minister, but my Godmother will be taking over that role."
Fudge: "What Godmother? What are you talking about?"
Minerva: "Oh my!"
Minerva stands from the gallery and moves through the crowd to the front of the section of seats.
Minerva: "Eh, um, if it pleases the court... oh excuse me. Pardon my foot. If it pleases the court, I stand as this child's Godmother, by right and responsibility of a ceremony performed three weeks ago."
Fudge: "Is this another trick?"
Minerva: "I don't believe I've ever been accused of trickery, Mister Fudge!"
Fudge: "Oh, sorry Professor McGonagall. I didn't mean to... I mean... (bluster) Ahem! Please refer to me as Minister while in this venue Professor McGonagall!"
Minerva: "Of course, Cornelius. As I was saying, I am this girl's Godmother, and will gladly shoulder the burden of her continued guidance until she comes of age. Though a little warning wouldn't have gone amiss."
Holly: "Sorry, Mum."
Holly smiles a little. The Minister sits back in his chair looking slightly defeated.
Fudge: "(Sigh) Very well. If there are no other matters..."
Holly: "I actually wasn't done with my statement."
Fudge: "Oh for... speak briefly!"
Holly: "Am I expelled?"
Albus: "I believe I can speak to this matter. Hogwarts does not allow for the continued attendance of students while convicted of felonious acts, but should Miss Evans fulfill her sentence and pay her debt to society, it may be possible for her to be re-enrolled under a strict probationary plan, dependent upon her continued attendance and acting with appropriate behavior."
Fudge: "Ehh, one more thing. We would not wish to see the standards of our most beloved institution of learning brought down for the sake of one dangerous student. If Miss Evans is unable to pass her end of year exams with an average of at least Exceeds Expectations in her foundation courses, we would move summarily to have her probationary re-enrollment cancelled. Of course, she would not be allowed to retain her wand without any proof of her ability to manage her magic."
Albus: "Understood."
Holly: "Minister, I have one last question and I will yield the floor."
Fudge: "Oh, joy."
Holly: "When I pass those exams with nearly the highest grades of any other student in my year despite my incarceration, will you be relieved or frightened?"
Fudge: "Hah! Such moxie! Why not simply say you'll have the highest grades of them all?"
Holly: "That honour is destined for a better woman than me."
Holly looks to Hermione in the gallery. Hermione's look of shock is quickly compounded as reporters begin moving towards her whispering questions too fast to follow.
Transcription ends.
Hermione may have been flustered by the sudden attention, but her secret smile lasted until we were well on our way back to Hogwarts in the company of several attendees travelling by Floo, including you Grandmum. I hope you saw it. It was very sweet.
Of course, thinking it over I realise that Mum just pointed that secret Ministry policy straight at Hermione's head. I think Mum's really pissed.

~Newt~


*

Grandmum Minerva,
I miss Mum. I hope she's okay, but everything I've read and heard about Azkaban makes that seem unlikely. Also, I think Professor Hagrid is a bit upset about Holly's sentence, not to mention Buckbeak's. I wouldn't blame him for either, nor would it be fair to ask him which is affecting him more, but he sure looks like he could use a happy thought right about now.
With Mum in prison, I feel it's my responsibility to look after Hermione in her absence. We just had a conversation of sorts that I thought you should know about. Since Hermione can't open the Journal and she doesn't know you know about me, I'll try to visit with you sometime in the next week to see if you have any recommendations.

Transcription: 25th February, 1994 starting 6:23 PM

Hermione is lying on her bed with the curtains closed. Newt's Everlasting Scroll is sitting open to a blank area with its owner drawing renderings of the room, the window, and Hermione's face.
Hermione: "Newt, I think I've made several truly grave errors in the last month. How can things have gone wrong so quickly?
Newt: (written) 'What would you have done differently, if you could change it?'
Hermione: "Good point. Let's see. Well, I really shouldn't have run off when Harry showed up. It was an important moment for Holly, and I wouldn't have minded seeing her happy. Particularly when it had nothing to do with our shameful acts."
Newt: (written) 'Why are you ashamed of loving Mum?'
Hermione: "Oh, Newt. Don't take this the wrong way. I care for Holly as much as anyone in my life, but I'm not in love with her, and our... intimacies are not the sort of thing two girls should engage in, particularly at our age. Holly has been through so much with the Basilisk changing her and nearly being raped in Knockturn Alley that I think it has weakened her willpower to the point where deviant acts seem normal to her. I just don't see how spending three months surrounded by Dementors is going to help her see things correctly. It's just cruel. This whole society is just... cruel. I'm beginning to think... I may not belong here."
Newt: (written) 'So, 'Holly has a weak will'? That doesn't sound right. No, that's like saying England isn't wet; infrequently the case but on average laughable. Well for one thing, I think you may yet be under some sort of magical influence. Since when did you decide that being intimate with another girl was shameful and deviant? You have stood in defense of lesbians amidst your study group without batting an eye, yet yesterday you stood before them denouncing the practice as 'wholly unnatural'. What changed your mind?'
Hermione: "Newt, you don't understand. Holly was influencing me then. She'd been having a subconscious effect on my morals since we started using Legilimency late last year."
Newt: (written) 'I thought that the first time you were intimate together was during the Polyjuice adventure the previous Christmas.'
Hermione: "Oh. Right. Well, obviously the potion had affected me then. I mean, at the time I didn't even think of her as a girl so much as a human with strong sexual feelings... for... me. She's loved me all along, hasn't she?"
Newt: (written) 'I think Mum was trying to deny it up until she saw you petrified. After she realised it, she tried very hard to see how much you really felt for her. When she found out you had almost no preference for girls she was absolutely devastated. It was only on the advice of Florean Fortescue that she even entertained the idea that the reason you weren't attracted to her was because you simply hadn't considered it. Florean believes that people aren't just one thing. It is not a switch in the brain somewhere, but a range of actions that you find acceptable and enjoyable, even desirable.'
Hermione: "Hang on. Whose side are you on here? I sense your loyalty to Holly may be affecting your judgment, little Newt!"
Newt: (written) 'I'm on the side of love. I have never seen either of you so happy as when you were together, working for your common purposes. If Holly magically encouraged you to be happy and to accept love, was that really a crime?'
Hermione: "You're just a blob of ink! What do you know about love?"
Newt: (written) 'I know that at some point you have to take responsibility for your own actions. You made love with Holly, willingly, inventively, and with much pleasure for both of you. More often than not, for you more than for her. Explain why that is a sin, please.'
Hermione: "Girls... mustn’t be with girls because... because... be... cause...beee (sob)... "
Newt: (written) 'Hermione? Are you alright?"
Hermione is beginning to cry and hyperventilate, her face a storm of fear, doubt and anxiety.
Hermione: "No, Newt! I'm not! I'm not okay! I'm not okay! I'm not okay! I'm not okay! OH GOD! HOLLY! WHAT HAVE I DONE? WHY DID I SAY THOSE THINGS? WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME? What is wrong? What...?"
Hermione breaks down in tears, weeping until she is too exhausted and falls asleep.
Transcription ends.

...And now, all she does is do her schoolwork and cry. It's getting to be that I think I'm causing them to lose their minds. Please tell me that you're still sane.

~Newt~


*

Grandmum Minerva,
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!

Transcription: 8th March, 1994 starting 3:15 PM

Hermione is sitting in a booth of the Three Broomsticks in Hogsmeade. In front of her are two glasses; a half-empty mug of butterbeer and an empty Firewhisky glass that Madame Rosmerta had given Hermione to console her in her grief, for today Buckbeak is to be executed at dusk. A thin person in a grey cloak approaches the table.
Grey-cloaked Stranger: "Excuse me. Are you Hermione Granger?"
Hermione: "I'm sorry. I'm really not up for company right now."
Grey-cloaked Stranger: "Hard day?"
Hermione: "You could say that."
Grey-cloaked Stranger: "Well, I would normally give you your space, but I'm under a sort of time crunch here, and I was told you could help me."
Hermione: "Help you with what?"
Grey-cloaked Stranger: "Arithmancy. I have an... unusual rune I'm working on and your friend Holly has always spoken well of your gifts with magic."
Hermione: "You spoke to Holly? When?"
Grey-cloaked Stranger: "I'd really like to sit down, if you don't mind."
Hermione looks at the stranger suspiciously but sidles over to offer space in the booth. The stranger sits down, his face still obscured by the hood of his cloak.
Grey-cloaked Stranger: "Thanks for that. I'm trying to keep a low profile, but I think my anonymous and nondescript cloak is making everyone stare."
Hermione: "They are, a bit. You said you spoke to Holly about me? When was this?"
Grey-cloaked Stranger: "Well, she never really spoke about you, more just...
The stranger pulls back his hood so only Hermione can see his face.
Harry: "...wrote about you. We haven't been formally introduced. I'm Harry. Harry Potter."
Hermione stares stunned while shaking Harry's hand.
Harry: "Umm, I realise this might be a bit of a shock, but as I said, I'm under a bit of a time crunch here. I don't know how long I can stay unnoticed, and as you might guess, they don't let me out much."
Hermione blushes deeply, grabs her Butterbeer and drinks it down to the bottom.
Harry: "Do I... do I look that horrid?"
Hermione: "(Gasp) No, Harry. I'm just a bit undone because the last time you saw me I was naked!"
Harry: "Oh, right. Sorry for that. If it's any consolation I barely peeked, but I enjoyed the view just the same. Oh, I suppose that wasn't... please, could you just look over this for me?"
Hermione: "What...uhhh... what is it?"
Hermione starts to quickly (and gratefully) analyse the papers Harry has placed on the table.
Harry: "It's... a project I'm working on. A way to enhance an existing rune placement, so that qualities of the two linked objects can be shared and reinforced."
Hermione: "Yes, I see that. Well, to start with your circle isn't a circle, so the binding won't hold that way."
Harry: "No, see that's the part I'm trying to apply. If you take note of these two ...uhh...things, they allow the binding to seal and yet expand."
Hermione sits in thought for a minute. Her eyes begin to bulge out and she looks up to stare into Harry's emerald eyes through his round black eyeglasses.
Hermione: "You... you..."
Harry: "I, yes?"
Hermione blinks to clear her mind again and looks again at Harry.
Hermione: "You've changed the circle to a spiral, thus enabling an existing rune binding to send changes to the linked rune without having to re-enchant everything. This is absolutely... (gasp) brilliant!"
Harry: "Oh, well don't be too impressed. It was my mother's work, I just wanted to see it applied. Can you check my work, though? I'm running out of daylight here."
Hermione: "Really! Are you some sort of reverse-vampire then? Unable to stand the fall of night?"
Harry: "What? Umm, no. I just have an appointment, and I can only evade my minders for so long, you understand."
Hermione: "Right, sorry."
Hermione pulls out a quill and starts making notes furiously all over the pages for nearly the next hour, while Harry looks over her shoulder and occasionally checks his watch and the other bar patrons.
Hermione: "That's as much as I can do, without knowing what objects you'll be applying these to. I hope it works for you."
Harry: "I'm sure it will. You've been brilliant. Thanks, so much!"
Harry stands up from the table, collecting all the papers and stuffing them into an inside pocket of his robes. As he turns to leave, Hermione grabs his wrist and looks up into his eyes once more.
Hermione: "Do you have to go? We could talk, about... umm... about Holly. Or something else..."
Harry: "Hermione, thank you, but no. I have to get going. I do have another favour, if you wouldn't mind."
Hermione: "Certainly! Anything!"
Harry: "Could I... borrow Newt for a few days? I've been really curious about her and I think it would be good for me to get to know my...uhh, niece, right?"
Hermione: "Umm, okay. I suppose that would be alright. Newt, what do you think?"
Newt jumps down from hiding on Hermione's shoulder underneath her hair to land on the table.
Newt: (written on the table) 'Absolutely! With the Journal!'
Hermione retrieves the Journal from her bag and hands it to Harry as Newt leaps from the table onto Harry's cloak, drawing off the ink she wrote with on the table as she leaps.
Hermione: "When will I see you again?"
Harry: "Well, if I'm successful at sneaking around today we may see each other on another Saturday. If I'm not, it probably won't be until you graduate. Wish me luck! I'll send Newt back soon, I promise."
Hermione: "Bye, Harry."
As Harry secures his cloak to ensure no one else can see his face, Newt climbs up to stare into his eyes.
Newt: (by Rapport) "That was really mean, MUM!"
Harry: (by Rapport) "Shush you troublemaker. We really do have another appointment."
Newt: (by Rapport) "Where are we going?"
Harry: (by Rapport) "Why to steal a Hippogriff, of course. I think we should take the scenic route home. Floo travel sucks."
After turning down an alley, Harry reverses the Cloak and disappears from view.
Transcription ends.

~Newt~


*

Spiral Tangent: If you can bear to slog through the details, read Chapter 5 of Spiral Tangents, '9402 - Striking Flint with Steel'. It is not fun, but does explain how everyone ended up as they did. It also includes some combat and nifty Time Turning as well.


Omake (I dropped this because Holly's really not in this good a mood at that time in the story):
Holly: "Is this the best we can do?"
Amelia: "It is in this society. Survive this, and I'll see if we can't change that for the future. Carefully!"
Holly: "Alright. Ahh for those heady days of yesteryear..."
Amelia: "How do you mean?"
Holly: "Until the 1700's, rape was a capital offense in Britain. We could have all swung from the gallows. That'd boost your ratings with the security-minded, eh Minister?"
Fudge: "You're deranged!"
Holly: "Or we could bring back the really old days! Trial by combat- let God's grace and a strong arm determine the rightness of our actions!"
Fudge: "None of those boys can hold a wand because of you..."
Holly: "Who said anything about wands? We'll fight naked, as in the days before language. Might makes right. Anything else is propaganda to soothe the masses! Oooh! Much like this trial!"
Albus: "I don't know about you, Minister, but I feel better about our current arrangement already."
Holly: "GRRrrrrrRUFF! RUFF! Let me at 'em! I'll bathe in their blood and feed my children on their entrails!"
Albus: "Holly..."
Holly: "I just wanted you to know that I am on my best behavior out there. Everything must be considered with the proper frame of reference."
Sign up to rate and review this story