Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Holly Evans and the Spiral Path

Bright Witches Must Be Dimmed

by wordhammer 2 reviews

Lily's Madhouse, Albus' madness and Pansy's breakdown

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Horror - Characters: Dumbledore,Harry,Hermione,Pansy,Tonks - Warnings: [!!!] [V] [R] - Published: 2009-07-17 - Updated: 2009-07-17 - 5990 words - Complete

5Original
Disclaimer: Harry Potter and all related concepts are owned by someone who isn't me. I will never seek or accept money for the circulation of this work.

Author's Note: I hope everyone had a nice chance to breathe during the last chapter there, as we're headed underwater once more.

Holly Evans and the Spiral Path
Chapter 26: Bright Witches Must Be Dimmed

1st February, 1994

Minerva,
For all that you may want me to say about our field trip, I can say one thing without a doubt. My mum Lily Evans was absolutely bloody brilliant. Also, paranoid to a fault. It seems she was most concerned with the possibility of being Obliviated of all her brilliance. Given my own experiences, I can't fault her reasoning.
The first thing we found when we entered her lab was a library study area with a fireplace, reading chair, an octagonal table with bent legs, a desk and chair tucked near the entry stairs and enough books to make Hermione twitch in ecstasy on the Persian rug for a week. Since she wasn't there, I had to appreciate it for her. Tonks was less impressed.
"Bit of a shut-in, wasn't she?"
"My mum was born in 1960 and died in 1981. That section there, the bookcase by the desk? Those are the books and journals she wrote!"
"Exactly. Bit of a shut-in. Nothing against it. Your bonnie lass fits that mould gracefully."
I had to take a moment to calm myself. Thinking about Hermione, these books and some teasing I had done about her needing to exercise more just struck me in the heart. Natalia noticed quickly.
"Oi! Don't get all moody again! I was trying to pay a compliment, is all. Let's see where else this goes."
"Thanks, Tonks."
"Na-TALia!"
"Natalia. You seem to be taking to your new name."
"It may not make much sense to you, but I honestly never considered the idea of having a family until you gave me a first name I liked. It's like, I couldn't stop being Tonks, so I had no future with anyone because I'd never take their name, or I'd end up nameless, right?"
"Natalia, I think this is fascinating, if lacking in anything resembling logic, but I'm walking in my mum's graveyard here. Would you please not...speak for a bit?"
"Yeah, alright. What's this do?"
"Dobby!"
Dobby popped up, did his dance and I let him in on the secret. After some more elfin hysterics, I sent him off to bring food back for us. As soon as the fruit showed up Natalia settled in the reading chair and started humming to herself while eating.
I found a small book bound in red leather with a tooled blood drop on the front. Applying a drop of my own blood, I was able to open it to this introduction:
Dear Lily,
Welcome back to the madhouse. If you can't remember anything about this place, it's because you were Obliviated for some reason, probably by me. Read the guide to get familiar, then use the delayed mirror to set yourself right. If I didn't Obliviate you, you'll have to catch up using a Pensieve and memory extracts that are stored in the Potions lab. Time may be a factor.
Love,
Lily (who else?)


The mirror was in the WC through a small door to the left of the entry stairs. One mirror was perfectly normal, set over the sink, but the mirror behind the door had an unusual delayed-view effect. In the simplest form, it was useful to see what you looked like from other angles, but the runes along the edge told the real tale; the seven-second delay allows you to cast multiple quick spells at yourself that normally could go horribly wrong, like Obliviate and Legilimens. Absolutely brilliant. I found out from the guide that the octagonal table was animated. After watching it walk almost giraffe-like around the room, I gave it an order; 'Octogonagall, go to the potions lab'. Don't blame me, Mum named it- I guess you made an impression! Following the order, the table walked through what looked like a solid bookcase to the right of the fireplace. The books are still accessible, but you can walk through it like it was the entrance to platform 9 3/4. Natalia actually got intrigued enough by that to follow me through. The potions lab area was filled with spoiled source material, but the bulk of it was tidy and there was a sturdy cabinet filled with small crystal vials holding memory strands- I recognise them from descriptions in Perenelle's notebook. At the entrance to the lab we found another door and entered a small square room with a hatch like a submarine in the center. Around the edge of the casing was inscribed a warning of sorts; 'Finite First!’ Also in this room was another normal door which led to a long and narrow store room filled with all sorts of dry goods and basic supplies for Lily's work, plus a large water tank.
The storeroom also had another door which led to Natalia's favorite part of the tour. This door led back towards the WC, but it was a much larger room, containing a king-size four posted bed, an equally large modern tub with waterjets built in, a large wardrobe filled with clothing and a smaller wardrobe filled with perfumes, oils and lotions. One look at the room and Natalia turned to me with her Thames-wide grin.
"I take it back! Your mum knew how to enjoy herself, she just did it quiet-like! It's always the quiet ones..."
"Other than you, I suppose."
"Oh, what I mean is, it's always the quiet ones that surprise you. No one is surprised that I am my way- the name sets the expectation, unfortunately. I couldn't have survived that name if I were a wallflower."
"Natalia, be how you want to be with me, okay?"
"Uhh, I thought we agreed that would be illegal for now?"
"Well, uhh...umm (groan)."
"Two points for Talia!"
"Minx!"
"Isn't that a kind of cat?"
Eventually we found a secret latch that led through into the WC from the 'love chamber', causing the sink and normal mirror to slide away to allow egress. The last thing to investigate was the small room with the hatch. I cast a 'Finite' just to be careful, and then opened the pressure door. Underneath was a deep cement-lined tube with a ladder attached to the side, but as I stepped into the space, I could feel my weight offset by an enchantment. Letting go, I found myself descending at a comfortable rate until I landed at the bottom where there was a single door. Beyond that door was a small room carved out of the bedrock- I was probably a hundred meters down. In the room was a small altar, with a giant rune-covered multi-orbit gyroscope on top. At the center of the gyro was a narrow bronze 'U' with adjustable arms that can widen or narrow to hold a disk upright. In front of this metal contraption was an accountant's journal filled with calculations. The first page included wand movements and an incantation with spaces for two numbers.
Absolutely. Fucking. Brilliant.
If you put a Time Turner in the center and hit it with the spell, then set the center spindle of the Turner to start rotating, it waits for however long you set in the second parameter before starting to spin. Once it starts, the gyro starts as well and a red mist seems to emanate from the center of the Turner. I should say, it looks like a red mist if you're looking at it, but if you turn away it looks blue. I spent some time reading through the notebook, making headway on understanding this remarkable device. After a while, I hit it with a Finite and headed back out to the tube, noting a small mirror mounted there that was angled so you could see towards the top of the shaft from the doorway. As soon as I stepped into the center of the shaft, I began to rise up quickly. When I walked back into the sleeping room to find Natalia, she looked at me curiously.
"Didn't find anything then?"
"I've been down there an hour!"
"I know you're a bit emotional, but really- Tempus. It's still only 8:30, see?"
Again- Absolutely. Fucking. Brilliant. The gyroscope even on the lowest setting causes the passage of time to dilate at a 4-to-1 ratio. The only downfall I can see is that I found the remains of five other Time Turners down there. Either it took a while for her to refine the device, or it burns them out after a while. It sort of explains how a 21 year-old genius could do so much with her education.
If she had help.
You gave Lily a Turner just like you gave it to Hermione. Already Mum's keen mind was working on how to leverage the device to a better effect, and by the time she graduated, she had access to more of them. Don't worry, Minerva. Your secrets are as safe with me as mine are with you. I have a question though; can Hermione still work for the Department of Mysteries?

Holly

*

Minerva,
Natalia and Newt and I returned to the castle a bit ago, and Natalia has headed back to her flat for the day. I was so excited to tell Hermione about my discoveries that I used the Map to track her down. What followed is something you must know about, for it offends every sense of propriety in a school setting I can think of. I just don't know what else we can do about it yet, other than ask for your cooperation with our plan.
First, I have to confess to a period of blind, unreasoning rage, but I promise this situation is not my fault, really.
See, I found Hermione on the Map in her bed with Pansy Parkinson.
My last 'Finite' had undone her protections against detection in the Map (on purpose; I still feel the need to watch over her). When I saw she was centered at the head of the bed, with Pansy's name stretched out across the rest of it, well, I went a bit buggo. In the interest of fair reporting, Newt's going to relate this part.

Transcription: 1st February, 1994 starting 3:38 PM
Holly rushes into the dorm room having tucked the hastily-referenced map into a pocket of her robes as she draws the Blade of Gryffindor. Holly yanks back the curtains surrounding Hermione's bed, holding the blade (in the form of a scimitar) above her head ready to strike. Hermione yelps in surprise from where she is sitting at the head of the bed, holding Pansy's crying face in her lap. Pansy looks up to see Holly's poised blade and screams before rolling off the bed towards the window. Holly's expression quickly shifts from rage to a confused frustration.
Hermione: "Good God! What the Hell do you think you're doing?"
Holly: "It... was..."
Hermione: "What was it? I'd really like to know what you were thinking!"
The blade slips from Holly's fingers to clatter on the floor. Holly's hands just rise up slowly to rest on the top of her head, as she starts to tear up. Pansy looks up from behind the bed. She has been crying recently but her look is one of mixed fear and hatred.
Holly: "Hermione, I am so, so, sorry!"
Pansy: "Couldn't stand the idea of another girl in Hermione's bed?"
Holly: "No, and it's a blessing to you that you lived through my indignation. Stay quiet and your luck may continue."
Hermione: "God, Holly! Can't you leave well enough alone? Pansy has been through all sorts of Purgatory lately and all you can do is threaten her! Get out!"
Holly: "No. I'm not leaving this until I understand what's going on here. Too much is going unexplained right now. I need answers."
Hermione: "And you're willing to kill to get them? Stop living in a comic book for a few moments and be reasonable! Do you honestly think I would be doing something sexual with another girl, after all we've been through about that? And what other reason could you think of for her to be hiding in our dorm room, in my bed? Hmm?"
Pansy: "I don't need her help, Granger. I... I don't need any help from you Gryffindors! You're all uncontrolled animals!"
Pansy stands and starts to strut her way out of the room.
Hermione: "Pansy, please. You aren't safe out there. We will help. And Holly... will behave herself!"
Pansy stops her strut, already looking nervous and trapped. She turns a withering gaze onto Holly.
Pansy: "I'm glad to see you have her leashed. I notice she keeps her bed like a scratching animal. Who knew it would be so easy to tell which area was hers, based upon the rotting bedclothes, scarred wood and burnt curtains? You are just a creature that filthies its nest."
Holly: "Make no assumptions, Miss Parkinson. The damage to my bed is entirely due to circumstances that will no longer be an issue."
Hermione blushes deeply. Holly notices with a small measure of irritation.
Holly: (whispering to Hermione) "I meant the cure for my Basilisk fluid issues."
Hermione: "Oh. O-of course."
Pansy: "Perhaps I should let you two lovers squabble alone for a bit..."
Hermione: "That won't be necessary, and who said we were lovers? In case you weren't aware, I came up with the bed-sharing idea when the Dementors proved difficult to endure. We just let the gossip girls handle the distribution of the concept."
Holly: "Parkinson, ehh... Pansy. Why are you here?"
Pansy: "I don't want to talk to YOU about it."
Hermione: "Pansy, I would recommend it. Holly may be a bit overzealous in defending me, but she believes deeply in the rights of women. If anyone can see a solution for you that I can't, it would be her."
Holly: "Hang on. You're here because you've been... molested? Shouldn't you see Madame Pomfrey about this, or Professor McGonagall? Even Professor Snape might help you better than we can."
Pansy: "It's... not that simple. And I'm not telling you!"
Hermione: "Please, Pansy. May I? I promise you neither of us will laugh nor treat you cruelly about this."
Hermione turned to glare at Holly.
Hermione: "WILL WE?!"
Holly: "I promise I will treat this discussion with the gravity and fairness it is due."
Holly proceeds to lay down several privacy spells and wards, including an Imperturbable Charm on the doors and windows.
Holly: "Now. What the Hell is going on?"
Pansy: "Not talking."
Hermione: "Pansy... well this started for me a few days ago. You were... absent and I happened to be in the girl's loo near the dungeons when Pansy, Millicent and Daphne all walked in. I had cast a privacy charm so they didn't notice me in the stall next to Pansy's, but she noticed my shoes, I guess. Pansy whispered that she needed my help, or better yet Harry's help, and that she wasn't being protected by the other Slytherins so much as secured. Before I could say anything about it, the other two girls burst into her stall and pulled her out, saying she had had enough time."
Pansy: "Granger then worked out a plan to intercept me in her turf- the library. I was able to explain the... situation there without being discovered. We made plans to help me escape my handlers so I could go into more detail and... and..."
Holly: "And find a place where you felt safe. There are few places better for that than Hermione's lap."
Hermione: "Holly!"
Holly: "You're a very caring person, Hermione. Deal with it."
Pansy smirks slightly.
Pansy: "I... apologised for the horrible thing I did to Hermione back in October. I was trying to impress the other snakes and pull out a victory, a prank if you will. I went way too far. I'm still... amazed and confused how you managed to save Grange... Hermione from my stupidity. See, my overreaching is why I'm being... punished."
Pansy's expression of fear and dread prompts Hermione to continue the tale.
Hermione: "This is where I'm ready to hurt people. Apparently, the Slytherins maintain a 'Punishment Room' within their dorm. If one of them violates their rules horribly enough, they are brought there to be humiliated. Depending on the offense, certain restrictions apply to what can be done to the offender. Being caught cheating may only result in having to stay chained in there while the others anonymously call you names and belittle you."
Pansy: "When Higgs lost to you in the first Quidditch match of our first year, they made him sit in the room naked for a weekend."
Holly: "So what's the worst punishment they allow? I assume you've earned it, or they would have simply expelled you as they should have."
Pansy: "I would deserve that, though my family might kill me if I were to disgrace them so."
Holly: "Worst punishment."
Pansy: "They... they... "
Pansy starts crying, holding her arms in front of her downturned face.
Hermione: "Anything they can think of, that doesn't affect her capacity to marry."
Holly sits, thoughtful. Hermione holds onto Pansy, rubbing her back and wiping her tears with a linen.
Hermione: "Holly? We've been talking about this, but Pansy believes she can't come forward about the Punishment Room or the whole of Slytherin would crash down on her head- I mean Alumni and all. They may not have taken her virginity, but that hasn't precluded other... sexual activities, I guess. What do you think?"
Pansy continues to cry in Hermione's arms.
Holly: "I think... I think if you were so upset about being used this way, you would have talked to us in November."
Hermione: "What?"
Pansy: "What?"
Holly turns a hard gaze onto Pansy as she starts to look at Holly from Hermione's embrace.
Holly: "It's not that they're abusing you that has you on your last nerve. It's that you're starting to like it."
Pansy: "You FUCKING BITCH!"
Pansy leaps from the bed to claw at Holly, but Holly catches her wrists during the charge and holds Pansy in front of her face.
Holly: "Legilimens."
Pansy's face slackens as Holly's mental assault moves past her defenses in short order (I assume). Hermione jumps up from her bed and starts trying to pull Pansy out of Holly's grip. After a few moments, Holly lets go of Pansy's wrists, causing her and Hermione to crash to the floor.
Hermione: "I don't BELIEVE YOU!"
Holly: "Yes, but thankfully I now believe Pansy. I wouldn't wish that treatment on you, Pansy, unless you had been successful in killing Hermione. We'll save you because you failed. Be glad for it. I know I was."
Holly looks down in shame for a moment, then hardens her expression and looks to the other two girls.
Holly: "You have to go back. The Slytherins will already be looking for you, and unless we engineer a way to make it look like you were never gone, you're fucked. I see what you mean about your family killing you if you dishonor them. So what we need to do is arrange a way for you to be liberated by outside authority without it looking like you were involved in getting the help."
Hermione: "I have a plan for getting her back..."
Holly: "Yes, that part was obvious, though I would encourage a stunner so that Pansy doesn't learn all our secrets."
Hermione: "I already thought of that! What I also was thinking is we could give Pansy a 'panic button' of sorts."
Hermione turned to look at Pansy, who was sitting up against the bed looking defeated.
Hermione: "I can enchant a coin that you carry with you, and if you find yourself in a situation where you'll be outside of the Slytherin dorms but still being... abused, we can come running with a Professor to 'discover' the encounter and enable you a viable opportunity to be rescued. The situation would reveal the crime, so you wouldn't need to testify."
Pansy: "Wouldn't that require a Protean Charm? That's NEWT work! There's no way you could..."
Hermione incants quickly and quietly, her wand dancing over the three coins she pulls from her pocket.
Hermione: "Here you go. Just squeeze it three times in a row and the other ones will start to pulse, getting quicker as we get closer. The more time you give us, the more promptly we can save you."
Hermione drops a bronze Knut into Pansy's hand and then tosses another to Holly who catches it deftly. Pansy's expression of disbelief brings a smile to Holly's face.
Holly: "Isn't she a marvel?"
Hermione blushes deeply at the compliment.
Transcription ends.

After arranging to Time Turn and sneak Pansy back to the point in time and space where she and Hermione had escaped (thankfully well after I had been done playing with the Gyro in Lily's Madhouse), Hermione pulled me to a quiet space and called me all sorts of names for provoking Pansy into lowering her defenses and for invading her mind- I ended up walking away because I hate arguing with her when we're both right. You may wish to admonish me for this ethical collapse, but I can speak with authority when I say this: Pansy has been beaten, buggered, sodomised, whipped, shat upon and made to beg for more, in your school and under implicit agreement of the Board of Governors, who are at least one third Slytherin alumni and thus have known about the Punishment Room since they attended without taking any steps to change its use. My security measures are like jaywalking in comparison.

Holly

*

2nd February, 1994

Minerva,
Yes, we left the grounds again. Don't get perturbed. I'm travelling in the company of an Auror to and from Unplottable locations. The Queen doesn't get this kind of security. Anyway, I've started delving through my Mum's journals to get a sense of what she was concentrating on towards the end of things. From what I gather, she was working feverishly to unravel the unknown magics at work amongst Riddle and his followers, the Death Eaters. Much of her research in the most recent notebooks shifted away from the Protean Charm, Warding and Vital Humours to focus more on the Blood-based wards she had written that paper about. I found the paper, but I don't feel like sharing until I can understand it myself, and at times her work notes are written like Arithmantic notation is another language for her.
I want Hermione here for so many reasons. The worst part of me doesn't want her here at all; to punish her, and because I know if she were still involved with me that this place would echo constantly between our lovemaking and her learning something new that excited her.
By comparison, Natalia is currently stretching Newt to three feet in length and letting go. When Newt soars across the room to slap into the wall, she leaves a lizard-shaped inkblot on the wallpaper (or across the books). We all giggle about it, but it's definitely a different tone than my vision of what could have been.
What I wanted to write you about is something from earlier journals that Mum wrote, back in her fourth year at Hogwarts. At the time she was in regular correspondence with Perenelle Flamel- it turns out the notebook Perenelle sent to me was originally written for Lily, which is why the skill set was assumed to be so high. What they discussed was the very same Time Turner program I figured out was a Department of Mysteries arrangement. I think I couldn't find this section until I had riddled out that truth, because I stumbled on this piece after I was sure I had skimmed through it already. Here's the letter from Perenelle that Lily transcribed:
Dearest Lily,
I understand your frustration with the restrictions placed upon you and your friend within this society, but our secrets are not meant to be shared with men. I started this program 120 years ago because I began to see a fundamental shift in the treatment of witches. I had acted as Matron to a number of promising young girls as they made inroads and innovations into what you describe as 'the Science of Magic'. So many girls from the Families would start on a career path but find their ambitions redirected into family and manor management. It was always the muggleborn witches that could not be deterred, but it was never more than a joke amongst Nicholas' friends- 'there goes another new-blooded Witch, ready to turn the world upside down again!' His friends always looked forward to seeing what these bright stars would come up with. Then subtly but quickly it all changed. A policy, buried deep within the Ministry had begun to worm its way through our culture, and my protégé’s began to suffer from unusual accidents, or find themselves quickly married into minor houses or fall precipitously to the latest Dark Lord. To help save my surrogate daughters, I arranged for them to have an avenue to exercise their skills in anonymity- so long as they can keep secrets, I will always look to draw the bright witches into the Department of Mysteries. Else, they will fall to the Ministry's darkest policy: By hook or by crook, 'Bright Witches Must Be Dimmed'. I cannot say exactly why they believe this must be so, but after a century of investigation I have learned this one additional fact: the Goblins made it a part of the last truce. Only they know why the policy was made. Certainly, I find my activities in saving bright young witches like you more gratifying, knowing how unquestionably and fanatically the Ministry has followed that policy since its inception. Let this be a warning to you. Excel quietly. Publish anonymously. Glow brightly, but only under the covers. I know it doesn't suit your Gryffindor tendencies to act thusly, but I have lost too many good friends to their belief that 'it won't get in MY way.' Please, please, stay alive and keep our secrets.

With love,
Perenelle


I don't know if you knew anything about that, but I doubt I'll be sleeping any better in the near future. The good thing about it is that we know it. Right?

Right?

Holly

*

Minerva,
It is of the utmost importance that you read this now. Albus intercepted our return to the castle hoping to pin me down about Harry, but the conversation veered off the road. It's a Hell of a time for you to be out of the castle.

Transcription: 2nd February, 1994 starting 11:28 AM
Holly and Natalia are strolling up the path from the main gate to the doors of Hogwarts. Seeing Albus Dumbledore standing before the doorway patiently, Holly pulls out her Combat/Potions lab Goggles and offers them to Natalia to try out.
Natalia: "It is awfully bright out here! The snow just reflects the light everywhere. Oh that's much better!"
Holly: "Hello, Headmaster!"
Prof. Dumb: "Miss Evans, I require..."
Holly: "We were just taking a stroll around the grounds..."
Prof. Dumb: "Miss Evans, you need to..."
Holly: "...not that snow and cold is my favorite weather..."
Prof. Dumb: "Miss Evans..."
Holly: "...but I wanted to show Tonks my Goggles."
Natalia: "Wicked! And you can see in low light, too?"
Holly: "Yup! It's a Granger original. Don't be fooled by imitations."
Natalia: "Double Wicked!"
Prof. Dumb: "Nymphadora, take off those goggles."
Natalia begins to reach up and pull off the lenses.
Holly: "Tonks, your vow is at risk if you do so."
Natalia: "Sorry, Headmaster. No can do! Cor, these are smashing! Telephoto!"
Prof. Dumb: "Harry!"
Holly strides up to within a foot of the Headmaster. Natalia wanders closer while still inspecting the features of Holly's Goggles.
Holly: (almost whispering, but angry) "Oh, now that's the dumbest thing I've heard someone say in a month! I take it you want to talk about Holly, Harry and the visit with the goblins. My schedule is pretty tight at the moment, but if you ask Professor McGonagall, I'm sure she would be willing to free up one of my ETHICS detentions for the conversation. I usually attend at 7 PM on weekdays in the Transfiguration classroom. You don't like it? Expel me."
Natalia: "Oh, frog farts! I was really starting to like this assignment, too."
Prof. Dumb: (whispering) "The goblins would like to know if Harry has agreed to bring his sister to visit them in consideration for the restoration of 4.81 million galleons. Perhaps you could shed some light on that."
Holly: (whispering) "Perhaps I can. Would you be willing to trade in exchange for the story? You could vow to tell me the truth for a month. It might help if you explain why you receive my mail, why my Trust fund was half empty this year despite my scholarship, and why the goblins want Harry to feed his sister to them."
Prof. Dumb: "Is this who you are now? A blackmailer? An extortionist? A criminal? (Sigh) What would your mother say?"
Holly: "Nothing, she's dead. Were she alive it wouldn't be an argument as I hopefully wouldn't need to do these things. My guess, should we summon her spirit, would be that she would say 'Gosh, you look different! Tell Albus to fuck off for me, would you?'"
Natalia: "Holly! Are you mad?"
Prof. Dumb: "You have no idea what I have done for you and your family, and you bring shame on the sacrifices they made for you."
Holly: "And you want to discuss this out here?"
Prof. Dumb: "Come to my office."
Holly: "I'm busy."
Holly turns from Prof. Dumb, grabbing Natalia by the wrist and begins to walk past the headmaster into the castle.
Prof. Dumb: "Come to my office, Holly."
Holly stops in her tracks, her face betraying a quick internal battle. After a moment, she smiles.
Holly: "You broke your vow."
Prof. Dumb: "Now, let's be reasonable..."
Holly steps back, fishing out a scrap of parchment from her quiver and drawing her holly wand.
Holly: "Albus Dumbledore, I invoke the rights of the vow you took never to use magic to affect my mind! You have three options. Give up your magic, swear fealty to me or take a new vow as written on this paper. Choose, or the first option will come to pass. So mote it be!"
Prof. Dumb pulls out his own wand and speaks a strange phrase (possibly Gaelic). The magic swirling around Holly dissipates.
Holly: "What the Hell?!"
Natalia: "Actually, I'm not that surprised."
Prof. Dumb: "Apparently, no one has informed you that your guardian has rights over you that supersede the common vow. I was just trying to be polite during your last visit to my office. It's really quite rude to ask people to make vows all the time. You should learn to trust a little more."
Holly: "I'm sorry. Did you mistake me for someone who had parents? A life of loathing and derision doesn't teach trust! The Dursleys were by Professor McGonagall's estimation mild and gentle people until I was forced upon them. Tell me truthfully that you didn't enspell them to abuse me for some reason. Then explain to me why I should trust anyone, much less you."
Prof. Dumb: "The Dursleys abused you?"
Holly's look changes from angry to skeptically annoyed. The Headmaster's expression becomes more thoughtful as Holly speaks.
Holly: "Pfft! You're going senile, sir. You should know that the Dursleys hurt me regularly, based upon Adrian's recounting of my battle in the Chamber. If you don't remember it, well, I think it's time you retired."
Prof. Dumb: "I will... review my memories and meet with you Monday evening. Please forbear, Miss Evans. I believe more may be going on here than either of us suspects."
Holly: "That would be tomorrow evening, sir."
Prof. Dumb: "Yes, of course."
The headmaster then turns and re-enters the castle at a brisk walk.
Natalia: "What... just happened?"
Holly returns Natalia's stunned gaze.
Holly: "Oh fucking Hell, Tonks! He actually is senile!"
Natalia: "Bollocks. The man's a legend. You're the insane one for giving him such grief. Are you absolutely fearless?"
Holly has started to pace about, her expression both pensive and worried.
Holly: "What? No, I just wait to freak out in private. I figured out I could override fear with anger when I decked Dudley in grade school. Occlumency helps me handle things easier... other than now!"
Natalia: "Handy, that. Wish you could teach me."
Natalia starts fumbling with the Goggles as they head indoors.
Natalia: "Oi! They're stuck! How d'you get these things off?"
Transcription ends.

Holly

*

2nd February, 1994 4:04 PM
Grandmum Minerva,
Holly's in trouble! We felt the coin go off and she checked the Map but when we got to the hallway where only Pansy, Flint and Bole were supposed to be, some other boys showed up behind us. She's just been hit with something and the boys are dragging her into the Slytherin dorm. Natalia left earlier for home, so we're alone here! Please come quickly!

~Newt~


*

Grandmum Minerva,
Holly woke up for a few minutes just now. This is what was said. I'm sorry I can't tell you any more than I am. I still feel awful for what happened, but there was nothing I could do.

Transcription: 4th February, 1994 starting 9:18 AM
Holly is waking up in hospital. She is covered by several layers of white cotton blankets, but is otherwise unclothed. The only thing on her bedside table is a ceramic cup with cold water. Just beyond the curtains around the bed, two Aurors in blue robes can be seen standing guard.
Holly whispers in a croaking voice.
Holly: "Newt?"
Newt hops off of Holly's head to slide down her arm until she is standing on the blanket.
Holly: "Newt, wha's... happ'ning? Why'm I in ...h-hospital ...again?"
Newt writes onto the blanket.
Newt: (written) 'Mum, you asked me not to tell you exactly what happened, or there would be no point in Obliviating yourself. You don't want to remember this.'
Holly: "I need t'get a handle, here. Wha... what can you tell me, that other people know?"
Newt: (written) 'Minerva was lead into the Slytherin dorms by your Patronus. They found you, Marcus Flint, Miles Bletchley, Alvin Bole, Richard Derrick and Adrian Pucey in a hidden room, in various states of undress and dis-assembly with you being naked except for some scraps of cloth. You had numerous cuts and bruises, plus your left arm and leg were broken, but that's all been documented and healed. Bole, Derrick and Pucey have lost their wand arms to a cauterizing wound and are at St. Mungo's getting the other limbs reattached. Marcus Flint is dead. Miles Bletchley isn't speaking but appeared unharmed before he departed for his family's estate. You have two Aurors standing guard over you at all times.'
Holly: "OK."
Newt: (written) 'Mum, do you want to know...'
Holly: "Nothing. I chose to forget. There's a reason. I have enough to think about."
Newt: (written) 'But Mum...'
Holly lies back in the bed, her eyes almost shut. Newt absorbs all the ink back out of the blanket, leaving it clean and white once more.
Transcription ends

~Newt~


*

Grandmum Minerva,

She's been that way for four days now. What am I supposed to do?

~Newt~


*

Author's Other Note: The details of this last encounter will be revealed in the Tangent 'Striking Flint with Steel', but that won't be released until after the next chapter: 'Criminal'.
Sign up to rate and review this story