Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Holly Evans and the Spiral Path

Railroaded

by wordhammer 6 reviews

Finishing up 3rd year. Holly calls him Professor Dumb, again.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Erotica,Humor - Characters: Dumbledore,Harry,Hermione,Luna - Warnings: [!!!] [X] - Published: 2009-10-29 - Updated: 2009-10-29 - 14453 words - Complete

3Original
Disclaimer: Harry Potter and all related concepts are owned by someone who isn't me. I will never seek or accept money for the circulation of this work.

Holly Evans and the Spiral Path
Chapter 33: Railroaded

*

26th May, 1994

This one is just too funny not to include!

Transcription: 26th May, 1994 starting 12:20 PM GST
Albus, Holly and Minerva are finishing a simple but tense lunch in the Headmaster's office. The dishes have been cleared away and all three sit quietly for a moment before Minerva starts the discussion.
Minerva: "Holly and I feel that she is ready to return to classes. My role as your Deputy means that my decision to readmit her has already been enacted, but as Headmaster you have the right to overrule my judgment and every right to review this instance in particular as the student in question is also under my guardianship. Ask your questions, Albus. I'll step in if I feel Holly needs her guardian's involvement."
Prof. Dumb: "I would like to discuss a number of recent events that have given me grave concern."
Holly: "That's interesting. I thought this meeting was about verifying that I am ready to rejoin the student body and hopefully return to Hogwarts next year."
Prof. Dumb: "Yes, it is. It is in that light that I wish to discuss your recent activities."
Holly: "Okay."
Silence settles on the room for a minute.
Prof. Dumb: "Well?"
Holly: "Well, what?"
Prof. Dumb: "Is there anything you'd like to tell me?"
Holly: "No, not really. Are we done then?"
Prof. Dumb: "Miss Evans, you met with Sirius Black and now he is no longer in the area, nor are the Dementors. The Minister of Magic is trying to suppress the testimony you gave in this office related to your meeting with Sirius Black, and Director Bones has issued a statement that you had encountered the escaped criminal and discovered that he believes himself innocent and was not at Hogwarts pursuing Harry Potter, and thus has fled the country. A rumour has been circulated in the press that Harry Potter succeeded in dispersing a force of over one hundred Dementors using a special Patronus shaped like a bolt of lightning."
Holly: "Big news day, then."
Prof. Dumb: "Yes, yes it was."
Holly: "Sir, are you basing my re-admittance on how I'm seen by the press?"
Prof. Dumb: "No. of course not."
Holly: "Do you think I'm a threat to the students?"
Prof. Dumb: "No, you seem fine, which is in a way more distressing."
Holly: "Do I appear ready to resume my education?"
Prof. Dumb: "Miss Evans, stop trying to change the subject."
Holly: "I'm not! You're the one bringing up irrelevant topics."
Prof. Dumb: "Holly, why are you so hostile towards me?"
Holly sighs and shakes her head.
Holly: "Is this part of my qualification?"
Prof. Dumb: "I'd like to understand you better."
Holly: "Fine. I have no reason to trust you."
Prof. Dumb: "I don't see how you can make that judgment. I have always acted in your interests."
Holly: "No you haven't, but I don't want to have that conversation right now. The reason you get no trust from me right now and for no other historical reason is quite simple. Monday night I went to sleep in Professor McGonagall's guest room, and the next time I woke up it was Tuesday evening and I was in this office, doped with Veritaserum. I was taken from my bed, held under enchantment and then interrogated by hostile representatives of the government who then tried to rip out my soul."
Prof. Dumb: "Cornelius wouldn't be so hostile if you dealt with him more respectfully..."
Holly bolts out of her chair, followed immediately by Minerva who throws her arm out to divert Holly's aggression.
Minerva: "Albus, for the sake of preventing another jail sentence for my godchild, I am going to ask to end this meeting."
Prof. Dumb: "What?"
Minerva: "You just suggested that Holly would not be having a hard time with the Minister of Magic if she would just lick his shoes or provide him sexual favours. Holly is going to kill you if you continue this conversation."
Prof. Dumb: "Murder me? I was just making a suggestion..."
Holly: "It isn't murder, sir. I just explained that you kidnapped me and threw me to my enemies. By the old laws, we can meet on the field of honour with weapons of my choosing. I would choose... unarmed, magicless mudpit brawling. Quite the show for the kids, until I snap your neck. May I return to classes?"
The Headmaster begins to shake his head with a regretful expression.
Prof. Dumb: "Well I..."
Minerva: "I think it would be prudent to answer this question in the positive and then consider your position on other topics before next we meet, say after the exams? Perhaps then we'll all be able to see things FROM ANOTHER'S PERSPECTIVE!"
Minerva's rarely-heard voice of rage shocks everyone for a moment. Albus stands slowly and carefully.
Prof. Dumb: "Miss Evans, I owe you an apology. You are correct. I exceeded my authority in bringing you to a place of safety without your consent. I was merely acting with concern over a rather incensed Floo-call I had received from Minister Fudge, a second Floo-call from Director Bones accusing me of interfering with her office and a distressing conversation I had with Professor Snape in the interim. I apologise. I would like to ask you one thing, and then perhaps we can call it a day."
Holly: (tensely) "What?"
Prof. Dumb: "How did Harry cast such a powerful Patronus as to send over a hundred Dementors fleeing for their un-lives?"
Holly sighs and relaxes her stance slightly.
Holly: "He didn't. Hermione cast the Patronus based upon the memory of her most powerful experience of joy; the one that took her life, however briefly. I don't know why I claimed the credit. Maybe to spare her the attention? If officials see her as both smart and powerful, they'll probably kill her before too long."
Prof. Dumb: "You were still under the influence of the Veritaserum; how did you lie about it?"
Holly: "I don't know. It's a mystery. Or your assumption is incorrect. Have a good day, Headmaster. The next time we talk, I think it should be you who takes the Veritaserum."
Minerva: "Not a poor suggestion, Headmaster. I'd like to meet with you this evening, to discuss the next conversation."
Prof. Dumb: "I look forward to it."
Holly and Minerva turn and exit from the office.
Transcription ends.

Newt, I didn't think that was as funny as you think it was.
You were angry so you didn't get to see the Headmaster's expressions. He was quite upset with you!
The feeling is mutual. He's re-earned the 'Professor Dumb' title; please change the script for it.
He does seem awfully perplexed.
Speaking of perplexed, do you know why Hedwig is upset with me?
I don't speak avian.
You don't speak at all, but you hear Parseltongue without effort.
Mum, I'm a lizard. Of course I hear Parseltongue.
Right.
But if I were to guess, I would say she's angry because Hermione kept telling her to deliver messages to Harry while wondering if Holly would be peeved about it. From Auntie Hedwig's perspective, it would be like saying 'send this to Zathras. Don't let Zathras know. Oh, if Zathras knew what I was saying to Zathras, Zathras would be upset with both me and Zathras.' That's a frustration caused by you keeping secrets from her favorite human.
Aside from me.
Right. Have you ever seen Auntie Hedwig hit Hermione in the head?
I'm sure it's meant lovingly.
Then why are you asking me why she's upset?
Fair point. Why'd you use 'Zathras'?
I don't know, it's a mystery.
There's a lot of that going around.

Holly

*

28th May, 1994

Mum,
I visited with Hermione late this morning. I told her what happened and what was said at the Shack. I also lifted the Obliviation I put on her before. Unfortunately I don't think I can hand over the journal for her enlightenment, nor trust her with the deeper secrets about my scar, the Madhouse or what I've been doing. Not yet. You'll understand, I hope.

Transcription: 28th May, 1994 starting 10:50 AM GST
Holly approaches Hermione's bed in the Hospital Wing. Looking around, she sees that Madame Pomfrey is in her office working on paperwork. The Auror guard across the room from Hermione's bed is asleep. With a quiet gesture, Holly drops Newt to the ground. Newt begins to scribe a magical rune circle around Hermione's bed. Just as Newt is finishing the scribing, Holly steps over the ink into the circle and incants a phrase, causing the ink to turn into multi-coloured sand. With a flash, the runic circle is completed and Newt hops back up into Holly's sweater, threading herself amidst the loose woolen yarn. Holly slips behind the curtain and sits down on the bed facing Hermione. She reaches forward and touches the brown-haired girl on her forehead.
Holly: "Ennervate."
Hermione stirs, opening her eyes and smiling at Holly. Quickly her features cloud over and she sits up in the bed, shifting her pillows behind her so that she can rest comfortably.
Hermione: "You had better have set aside some time, because you have a lot to answer for."
Holly: "I will stay for as long as you'll let me. I will answer every question that I can. Before we start, I'd like to catch you up on a few things."
Hermione: "Right. Keep talking."
Holly: "Well, first of all we're surrounded by an anti-scrying circle, so don't fret about secrets or loud voices for right now. We're as secure to speak as we'll ever be in Hogwarts."
Hermione: "Really? How did you...? No! I will not be distracted. Tell me what happened at the Shrieking Shack."
Holly: "We were trapped and surrounded by Dementors, and I thought that the only way to get them to leave us alone would be to overwhelm them. I asked you to use your most powerful memory to make a super-Patronus, but you had locked it away because of the mental scrambling that has made you... straighten up. I revealed that I am Harry, so that you could work around that issue, but you were so traumatised by the revelation that you were falling apart..."
Hermione: "Yes, I remember all that. What happened next?"
Holly: "In frustration, I... used the Imperious to force you to unlock the memory and make a Patronus out of it. You did, and the resulting giant tongue sent every Dementor in the area fleeing to Norway."
Hermione: "Have you set some personal goal to try using every Unforgivable in a 'forgivable' fashion?"
Holly: "Not on purpose, but I'm two for three so far. When I finally confront Riddle himself I figure I'll take the Triple-Crown."
Hermione: "What happened after?"
Holly: "Well, the Minister, Director Bones, Professor Dumb and Natalia all found their way to what remained of the Shrieking Shack and I told them as Harry that they shouldn't mess with my dates."
Hermione: "You told them we were dating?"
Holly: "I suppose I should have asked you out first, but you were unconscious already."
Hermione starts giggling, causing Holly to break up laughing as well. It takes several minutes for them to regain their composure.
Hermione: "God, I needed that. Holly, don't take this the wrong way, but I think that this first date with Harry was disastrous enough that I won't be expecting a second."
Holly: "Yeah, sorry."
Hermione sits quietly for a few minutes, considering things. After tearing up a bit, Hermione sniffles and looks up at Holly, who has kept her head bowed quietly the whole time.
Hermione: "Holly, I need to understand why you chose to shut me out. I want you to let me into your mind and show me the memories of the situations that brought on those decisions. You've changed so much, so I would guess that a lot has happened."
Holly produces Perenelle's notebook and rearranges the tiles on the front into a shallow bowl.
Holly: "I can't just let you in right now, Hermione. But I can show you the memories."
Hermione: "The last puzzle! How did you solve it?"
Holly: "Soon after I discovered I was Harry, I gained access to my mother's journals. Lily used to own this guide, so she had notes written on how to make it into this portable Pensieve."
Hermione: "That's extraordinary!"
Holly extracts several strands from her temple using her wand and places them into the shallow tiled bowl.
Holly: "Hermione, there's an Obliviation I put on your mind. When we had our initial falling-out, you asked me to remove the confusing memories so I Obliviated you. The passphrase to release that is mentioned in the last memory, so you may easily end up unlocking those memories when you get to that point. Try to hold it back so you can finish the memory viewing first. I'll be right here the whole time, and I promise I'll do everything I can to make sure your mind is safe. Secrets be damned."
Hermione's expression draws cold as she stares at Holly angrily for a minute. Finally she nods once and inserts her fingers into the bowl. Holly sits back, watching Hermione's slackened expression for several minutes. She then sits up and tentatively reaches past the collar of her shirt, pulling forth a gold chain with an intricate pendant attached. Holly removes the Time Turner from around her neck and puts it back on Hermione's, fixing the lay of it so the pendant rests beneath her hospital gown. Several minutes pass and then Hermione jerks upward, removing her hand from the Pensieve. Her eyes immediately roll back into her head and Hermione slumps into unconsciousness, her eyes darting back and forth in a forced high-functioning dream-state. It takes another hour before she begins to relax. Seeing Hermione rousing, Holly grabs a cup of water for her to sip. Hermione blinks rapidly for a time, then turns to the side and empties her stomach into a nearby bedpan. Sweat rolls down her face and her breathing remains ragged for several minutes as Hermione fights to incorporate the last bits of experience into her psyche. She leans back into the propped-up cushions and gives Holly a harsh glare. Holly looks down before facing Hermione.
Holly: "Do you hate me?"
Hermione: "Yes."
Holly: "I deserve that."
Hermione: "Yes, you do."
Holly: "Hermione, I haven't the words to explain how hard this has been for me.”
Hermione: "Hard for YOU?"
Holly: "Yes, Hermione. Along with substituting for you in a planned gang-rape and going to prison for putting down the mad dog who arranged it, I've had numerous other trials and tribulations, and I have had to weather them without your support. If I had known then what was to happen and that you wouldn't be there with me, I would have killed myself at the start of the year. I am not the girl I was when this year started."
Hermione: "Obviously. And neither am I."
Holly: "No? You seem to be acting that way."
Hermione: "Did you just call me juvenile?"
Holly: "Yes. (Sigh) it's totally unfair of me, I know. The problem is that I've had to grow to face my challenges. I left you behind."
Hermione: "You think so, do you?"
Holly: "Hermione... I interrogated Professor Snape the other night before releasing him. He's of the opinion that you would do better as a student in Beauxbatons or Salem Academy."
Hermione: "We're taking advice from Professor Snape, now?"
Holly: "When it's well thought-out, yes."
Hermione squeezes her eyes shut and clenches her teeth in frustration.
Hermione: "Holly, you are such a... a... a... "
Holly: "Bitch?"
Hermione: "...self-centered martyr! I know there's more going on here than a simple education! Frankly, I am insulted that you would think I would turn tail just because things are difficult!"
Holly: "Not just difficult, Hermione. Life-threatening!"
Hermione: "It was life-threatening just going to potions with you! Let me make myself clear, MISS EVANS. I have no intention of letting you wander in this chaotic sea of storms without my moral rudder to guide you. Look at how far off the beam you've already wandered!"
Holly: "Uhh, which beam were you referring to?"
Hermione suppresses a smirk under her indignation.
Hermione: "Holly! Crossdressing! I mean honestly..."
Holly: "Hermione, I'm being serious..."
Hermione: "Well, that was your first mistake. He's hardly attractive at all."
Holly: "Hermione..."
Hermione: "Holly, seriously. I am WITH YOU. I hate that I was kept out of things, but I understand why you chose to do so. Honestly, I haven't felt this well since before the Animagus Day. EVERYTHING MAKES SENSE AGAIN! More than anything in the world, I want you to walk with me in this life. Don't make me go it alone. You're my best friend. Quirks, fetishes, mutations and indiscretions included, I love you. Perhaps... like a sister, though."
Holly: "Really? Natalia and I have something similar, though with an incestuous twist..."
Hermione: GLORP!
Holly: "Sorry there, Hermione. We really should see about getting that Compulsion removed. Just talking about my life is going to make you anorexic. Your parents will hate me for the damage to your teeth."
Hermione lifts her head from the bedpan once more, and then sets it aside to grab her wand and apply a mouth-cleansing charm.
Hermione: "Professor Dumbledore removed the Compulsion this morning. That was just me."
Holly snaps back in thought for a moment, and then schools her expression.
Holly: "Really? You didn't react that way to the idea of lesbians before..."
Hermione: "Not lesbianism, no. I-incest, on the (gulp)... the other..."
Holly: "CHANGING TOPIC. I'm glad you've cleared your head. Did the Headmaster say anything about it?"
Hermione: "He said it was a right bugger to remove, even with his resources brought to bear. I'm sure it wasn't his doing, Holly. Someone else did this to me."
Holly: "Just what I wanted to hear- we have another enemy with advanced skills in clouding the mind. Some days I wish there was no such thing as magic, or at least Mind Arts. Perenelle's contributions to the Art are at best a mixed blessing."
Hermione: "I don't think she invented the idea of mind control. Perenelle just put together the most comprehensive plan for its responsible use by magical society. Give her credit- she considered the social impact before she released anything. It wasn't 'here's this nifty spell', she presented the problem, her solution, how it should be utilised, what limits should be set in its use and how people were to be trained. I suppose after living a few centuries, foresight and planning would become a matter of honour."
Holly: "You really admire her, don't you?"
Hermione: "I want to make an impact in our society. If I could change the world even a hundredth as well as she has, I would die happy."
Holly: "That's why I need you, Hermione. I think I am stuck in the position of making that sort of change, for good or ill. All other affection I have for you pales in importance to having you guide me to the right choices."
Hermione: "I suspect that you wouldn't mind if I were once again seeing you in an affectionate light, though."
Holly: "No, I wouldn't mind that at all. But I'll take what I can get without magic, potions or blackmail. I need your head clear."
Hermione: "Holly, as a favour to me I want you to swear that you will do nothing, nothing to try and bring our relationship back into a sexual focus. In either of your guises, do you understand?"
Holly: "Well, okay I guess. I thought that you might want to explore time with Harry..."
Hermione: "There is no Harry, Holly. Well, there is but deep down I'll know it's you and..."
Hermione sighs deeply and starts picking at loose threads in the blanket. Holly reaches over and tips Hermione's face back towards her own.
Holly: "Tell me how you feel."
Hermione twists her head around in discomfort for a moment. Her eyes get a bit watery. Hermione sighs heavily once more.
Hermione: "Holly, beyond being your friend and adviser I can't be what you want. I grew up focusing on my studies but I always dreamed I would find a good man, a caring man that would stand by me and challenge me and help me see the fun of things. Someone who appreciates my value as an intellectual and as a woman. But I never intended to look for that man until I had made a path, a career for myself. I'm not looking for love. Swear to me that you won't try to seduce me anymore. I ...can't handle the confusion it brings. Let me grow into myself, not what you want me to be. I'll cherish our times together, but that is not the calling of my heart. Alright?"
Holly: "Practice that much?"
Hermione: "Only about two hundred times! You can be right intimidating, you know?"
Holly: "I know. Just one more kiss?"
Hermione: "No. Kiss me when you need to. I do care for you, Holly. With love."
Holly leans forward and kisses Hermione, softly caressing those lips with her own. Holly pushes forward to engage Hermione in a deep snog, twirling her tongue in her friend's mouth. Hermione responds... politely. After a minute, Holly pulls back from the kiss, rolling her lips inward to taste Hermione one last time. Hermione's expression offers sympathy while asking for consideration. Holly nods slightly.
Holly: "I love you, too."
Holly sits up and presents her wand pointed to the sky.
Holly: "By my magic, I swear not to encourage, seduce or manipulate Hermione Granger into being sexually intimate with me... until we are both of age in magical society. So mote it be."
Hermione: "A time limit? Well, that seems equitable. So mote it be."
The swirling magic takes effect. Holly returns her wand to the quiver and gives a smirk to Hermione.
Holly: "I'll say this just to clarify my position. If you decide to take our relationship back down that road, the gloves are off."
Hermione: "So long as I have control of myself, I see no reason to worry about that. Agreed."
Holly: "Yeah."
Holly turns away, a salty tear or two racing down her cheeks while she stands. Holly turns back with an agreeable expression.
Holly: "Need anything?"
Hermione: "Books! I'm dying of boredom in here."
Holly smiles.
Holly: "I'll get you some. Lord knows what you'll get up to if left only to think. Use the Turner. Poppy will be delighted by your speedy recovery."
As Holly steps away from the enclosure, she scuffs the sand on the floor, causing the scrying barrier to break and disappear like mist.
Transcription ends.

Professor Dumbledore removed the Compulsion, did he? I can only hope he left everything else where it was supposed to be and didn't decide to add some 'flavouring'. Until we see how Hermione acts over time, I'll consider her possibly compromised.

Holly

*

Transcription: 4th June, 1994 starting 6:22 AM GST
Minerva and Holly are sitting in Minerva's study having morning tea. Holly is a little sluggish from staying out late the previous night.
Minerva: "I have spoken several times with the Headmaster about your status and his intentions, but the man is being unusually tight-lipped with me."
Holly: "Yah."
Minerva: "So, do you feel prepared to take your end of year exams?"
Holly: "You're joking, right?"
Minerva: "Not in the least! Holly, if you can't pass those exams with at least an 'Exceeds Expectations' the Minister will no doubt insist that you be removed from the school permanently!"
Holly: "Oh, I know. That wasn't what I meant. I haven't just been having sex with Natalia, Mum. I'm ready to take the OWLs."
Minerva: "What? How could you? Even with two months straight studying it would be impossible for you to have gained enough instruction or experience to pass those exams! This is another one of your pranks, isn't it?"
Holly: "Not at all. What you're missing is that I haven't been gone for two months or even three. With the Turner, I've spent nearly a year in the Madhouse. What's more is I've run through Lily's captured memories, which had the side effect of shoring up some of my theoretical knowledge. Couple that with the time spent in physical training with Natalia and sharing her experiences by Rapport and, well, I could make a passable Auror right now if I didn't have a criminal record. I can only Apparate as far as I can see, but that's just because I had a limited practice space."
Minerva: "How... what...? Holly, I'm not sure how to proceed at this point. What would you like to do?"
Holly: "I'd like to not let the world know how skilled I am. I'll take the exams and continue with coursework next year, though I'm thinking of adding some language groups. I'll drop Ancient Runes and keep Care and Divination."
Minerva: "I'd like to assume you're continuing with those electives for a logical reason, though I can't guess it."
Holly: "The most logical reason I have; they're taught by instructors who supported my incubation rights. Besides, Hagrid could use the company and I'd like to speak more with Professor Trelawney if she'll go for it."
Minerva: "Why would Sybill not allow you back into her class?"
Holly: "I think I stress her nerves somehow. I'll ask her about it, no need to concern yourself."
Minerva: "But you're dropping Ancient Runes because Professor Babbling didn't support your alchemy?"
Holly: "Pretty much. I have Runes down to the skill level she's teaching. You may have noticed that some of my more recent projects have been quite rune-oriented. In fact, I'd like to modify the Journals so that the Secrecy charm is linked to our relationship using a blood ward. With that level of privacy, I would feel comfortable making them work bidirectionally."
Minerva: "We'll wait until after the exams so you can concentrate your studies. Mind you, if you can accomplish that I see no reason to doubt your capacity to pass your OWLs, though you might not get Outstandings."
Holly: "I wouldn't want to. I just need to pass them when I can take them. Hermione can focus on perfection; I just want to liberate myself from legal restrictions. That's the other thing- with Hermione and I both accelerated by at least a few months, I'd like to see about us both taking the OWLs this coming year. We don't need to be moved up in classes until we prove ourselves by passing them, but both of us chronologically qualify to take the exams next year instead of waiting."
Minerva: "How does Miss Granger feel about this idea?"
Holly: "Umm... well... "
Minerva: "Have you not suggested it to her yet?"
Holly: "Oh, I absolutely did. She responded... enthusiastically! She was quite mortified at the time. Also well lubricated..."
Minerva: "THAT'S... more than I needed to know."
Holly: "Yah, but you won't doubt her conviction, will you?"
Minerva: "Indeed not. I take it your relationship has returned to your previous levels of intimacy."
Holly: "No such luck. I mean, she was pleased as punch for a few minutes there, but she's committed to finding her own satisfaction. I'm hoping three or four more disastrous relationships will bring her back into my arms, but I've vowed not to pursue her so that we can rebuild our close friendship."
Minerva: "Oh, Holly. I'm so sorry."
Holly: "Thanks, Mum. It'll be fine. I just need her in my life. I'll find other ways to warm my bed."
Minerva: "Ah. Then your relationship with Miss Tonks..."
Holly: "Also in redefinition, though not really. Tonks is returning to the Auror Academy and taking the Hit-wizard and Investigation advanced training. I'm confident she'll succeed. She's already caught the eye of some veteran instructor for mentorship. Plus and I'm not sure you've heard, but she and Moony have started up something together."
Minerva: "Well that's... I'm not sure what to think of that. She does know about his... condition?"
Holly: "Yes, in fact you might say it was a selling point."
Minerva: "I'm not certain I follow."
Holly: "They both possess superhuman endurance."
Minerva: "Ah. Once more I am punished for satisfying my curiosity."
Holly: "You're the cat. It seems inevitable."
Minerva gives Holly a withering glare.
Holly: "Sorry, Mum."
Minerva: "Holly, there's one thing I've never understood about you."
Holly: "Only one?"
Minerva: "Yes, well, you don't speak unless you absolutely have to, but when you do, your eloquence always surprises me. I suppose it shouldn't, as it reflects your journaling style."
Holly: "You gave me language skills, Mum. I finally understand why I speak better than the Dursleys ever could have taught me. Perhaps the question you should ask yourself is 'if I didn't have to spend my time giving the same lessons to generation after generation of students, would I have more time to think up interesting things to say to people?' It might explain how Professor Snape seems so glib. He wastes as little time teaching as he possibly can."
Minerva: "Until recently I was under the impression that you admired the man."
Holly: "So was he. Mission accomplished. As soon as I get my Potions Mastery or at least graduate, I may let him know what I really think of him. In the meantime, let's just go on like I find him darkly attractive. It'll keep him pliable."
Minerva: "By Merlin! Is there an adult in this world that you treat with respect? You treat everyone like...like..."
Holly: "Like they're just taller children. Physically I have to look up at everyone anyway, so I judge based upon actions. If I meet someone truly wise other than you, I'll let you know. For now, I bow to no one but my Godmother. Current contenders for a promotion include Florean Fortescue and Professor Flitwick. I understand and can anticipate most everyone else. I think our Charms Professor is a bit ...off."
Minerva: "Indeed. What of the Headmaster?"
Holly: "Albus may be wise but he is hardly trustworthy. Please be extremely careful with him, Mum. If he senses how far you've stretched outside his control, he's liable to do something drastic. If you continue to be argumentative, I would expect your food to be tainted wherever you go in the castle. He tends to use potions over Charms as the effects are more subtle; harder to detect and harder to remove. We should find another jade ring for you to wear."
Minerva: "Your paranoia worries me."
Holly: "It isn't paranoia. If he was playing honestly he wouldn't have stuck me in the muggle world. All descriptions of Harry's appearance until this year have been based upon guesses from what James and Lily looked like- the scar and glasses are part of his propaganda. I was already anonymous as a girl. I could have been placed in any number of magical homes as a renamed orphan with a coincidentally similar scar to the Boy-Who-Lived and no Death Eater would have known to look for me. Surely there were families that could have kept secret any unusual discoveries- the Weasleys, the Tonks', the Diggorys, even the Bones' or Longbottoms, who might have enjoyed having an additional family member after losing some in that war. He isolated me from magical society for a reason, and the most obvious reason is to control my access to the knowledge of magic, but for what purpose? If I'm meant to act as the weapon against Riddle's second rise, then why leave me untrained for so long? He can't want Riddle to win. It's the only thing I can't quite figure out. Your actions are script-like by comparison."
Minerva: "Oh, this is entertaining. Perhaps you should tell me more about me. I'm breathless with anticipation."
Holly: (Sigh) "This never goes well. Okayyyy. You're a master at Transfiguration but pants at Charms and Runework or you would have been working as a curse-breaker, and you have little interest in Herbology or Potions, probably from your fastidious nature. You have developed decent if rudimentary Occlumency skills just to keep a sense of privacy but it interfered with your Animagus training, which is why anyone who owns a cat would think you're possessed. No cat sits that straight for any length of time without a piece of fish dangling above it. Mrs. Figg has forty of them, I should know."
Minerva: "Forty? I had no idea she had continued to collect them..."
Holly: "Mum, why do you know Mrs. Figg?"
Minerva: "Well, she's a squib."
Holly: "Looks as human as the rest of Little Whinging."
Minerva: "Holly, a squib is person with magical background but no magical ability. Mr. Filch is a squib, as is Otis Prewett... you know what squibs are!"
Holly giggles at Minerva's frustrated protest.
Holly: "Yes, but you still haven't told me why you know her."
Minerva: "Albus asked her to keep an eye on you as you grew up, for which he paid to resettle her in Little Whinging."
Holly: "I suppose it would have been too much to ask for her to visit often enough to prevent my regular abuses at the hands of the Dursleys. Although, to her absolution my relatives were experts at hiding any obvious evidence of maltreatment. It would have been decent to speak about magical things with her, though."
Minerva: "And how do you expect that would have been handled by the Dursleys?"
Holly: "No more cat-sitting for Holly. I see your point."
Minerva: "You will need to meet with the headmaster soon. When you do, you must rein in your anger and discuss your situation dispassionately. Whatever crimes or blunders he may have committed, he is still a linchpin in our society and the man towards whom all of Britain looks to defend them from the threat of rising evil."
Holly: "I understand his importance, Mum. I just think society would do well to look to the Aurors for such reassurances. If the Headmaster were to be brought down by an illness, I should think the whole country would become bed-ridden given how much they rely on his fortitude."
Minerva: "Nonetheless, he still holds considerable influence over your life. Tomorrow we shall prepare together, and then beard the lion in his den."
Holly: "Ooh, bad choice. Can we arrange to meet him here? Aside from the doped Lemon Sours and any number of enchantments on the furniture, I think Fawkes' singing lulls people into a suggestive state."
Minerva: "It was meant figuratively. Of course we'll meet him in here. You might consider asking your short friend to secure the room beforehand as well."
Holly: "Dobby."
Dobby appears in a flash. He is holding Urkel (the same elf from Harry and Minerva's first meeting) in a headlock once more. Urkel is the only one injured this time.
Dobby: "Can Dobby be done with the bad elf now, Mistress Holly?"
Holly: "Do it."
Dobby snaps Urkel's neck. The elf falls to the floor limply.
Holly: "What has been done was done for the sake..."
Dobby: "Noooo! Dobby did this! Dobby is already a bad elf! Dobby's crime!"
Holly: "We're both criminals, Dobby. You are much more useful to me alive. How much do I owe Hogwarts for the elf?"
Minerva: "You... you... "
Holly: "I'm sorry about that but I think you will find that I am already preparing to fight a war. I will command my troops to fight with all of their ability. This invader was nothing less than an enemy spy who threatened my life and freedom by his spying."
Minerva: "Holly Evans, that is enough!"
Minerva stands from her chair and stares down, fuming at her godchild. Holly sits up and bows her head in fearful submission.
Minerva: "Alright! Let's straighten a few things out shall we? Firstly, you will be continuing with the ethics detentions next year, with homework over the summer break!"
Holly: "Yes, Mum."
Minerva: "Secondwise, the weirgild on a Hogwarts elf is 40 Galleons and a week of community service. In your case, I suggest you clean dishes in the kitchens."
Holly: "Yes, Mum."
Minerva: "Thirdmost (and I cannot believe I have to tell you this) you will refrain from killing or ordering the killing of any sentient creature unless it directly threatens your life or the lives of your friends! Directly! In all cases, you will exercise the least necessary force to provide for the safety of all involved. Do you understand?! No killing!"
Holly: "Yes, Mum. I promise."
Minerva: "I think your paranoia is infecting me, now. This was too simple. What am I missing?"
Holly shrugs.
Holly: "Nothing really. With a week in the kitchens, I intend to see how happy the castle elves are with the current leadership. I think they may admire a human who works like an elf. Dobby said Urkel was widely despised amongst the others."
Dobby: "Yes, yes! Urkel was a bad elf! Please, don't be mad at Mistress Holly, Professor McGonakitty!"
Minerva: "(Sigh) You are... dismissed."
Holly stands from the chair with her head bowed.
Holly: "Yes, Professor. Dobby, take care of the mess, please."
Dobby gives an enthusiastic salute and then grabs Urkel's corpse before disappearing with a snap.
Transcription ends.

Here's the relevant bits from that conversation with Hermione about OWLs, Mum. I'm sorry about before. Something about Albus provokes an extreme response in me. I'll try to figure out how to control myself better.

Transcription: 3rd June, 1994 starting 11:32 AM GST
Holly and Hermione enter the DADA instructor's study where they find Moony packing up his belongings.
Hermione: "Isn't it a bit early for packing?"
Moony: "Someone let slip about my... condition. I felt it best not to have parents showing up during exams to chase me out of here. Besides, I have to care for our Prodigal mutt."
Holly: "Not going to stay on, maybe stand up for your performance as a werewolf in this position without incident? I guess I can see that. If the public turns against you it could get dangerous. But you weren't going to tell us you were leaving? Kinda weak, Moony."
Moony: "I expected that you would send an owl soon enough."
Holly: "Running away isn't noble or cute, Moony."
Moony: "Now, see here..."
Holly: "I should've expected this though. You have already established a habit of running away from your friends when they need you."
Hermione: "Holly, how can you say that? Professor Lupin stood by your parents and he's going to be taking care of Padfoot."
Holly: "Don't rewrite history, Hermione. 'Professor Lupin' pussied out then, too."
Moony: "I did not!"
Holly: "Yes, you did. You were all morose and 'woe is me' and the moment one of the fellows who had walked with you in your dark times took an interest in the girl you were mad for, you bailed and handed her over!"
Hermione: "Holly! We don't have all the facts here. You can't judge Professor Lupin based upon what little we've heard so far."
Holly: "Not in a court, maybe, but I see the process of it in the way he told the story and how he looks at me."
Moony: "I...don't..."
Holly: "True or False: when you first saw me your heart skipped a beat because I look like Lily Evans."
Moony: "T-true."
Holly: "Snape still hates you, but not enough to let you suffer without the Wolfsbane potion made exactly as needed."
Moony: "Also true."
Holly: "True or False: Professor Snape hated Jim Potter much more than you because he actually married Lily."
Moony: "It's James, but yes, I think that's true."
Holly: "And you also hated James for taking Lily, making you run away from them after graduation, leaving them vulnerable just when they needed you most."
Moony: "NO! That's...that's..."
Holly: "You know it's true!"
Hermione: "Holly, how are seeing this? Even your gift for behavioral insights couldn't show all that."
Holly: "No, I suppose not. You really need to work on your barrier, Professor."
Moony: "You're READING ME? (GROWL)"
Lupin's rage prompts him to leap at Holly.
CLANGG!
The prybar Holly swings into his head stops Moony's advance and shakes his thoughts enough for him to regain control.
Holly: "YES. And the reason why is to prove a point- all it takes to get you to drop your barrier and start losing control is a well-placed emotional dig. Mum did a bang-up job prepping you to handle the Beast but all you've done since then is suppress it along with all the other emotional baggage you couldn't handle. You can't continue suppressing it all- you're burning out! Christ, you look like you're in your fifties!"
Lupin growls out his response between desperate calming breaths.
Moony: "What's...your...point?"
Holly: "You need help. Tonks and I can try, or you can seek a Mind Healer or something."
Moony: "Right. As I understand it, Auror Tonks needs help navigating down breezy hallways."
Natalia fades into view standing behind Holly. Remus looks doubly impressed by her stealth and that he hadn't detected her scent.
Natalia: "Not anymore, Wolfy. I'll take it from here, Hols."
Moony: "Don't call me Wolfy!"
Natalia: "Yeah? Make me!"
Holly: "Later!"
Holly grabs Hermione's hand and leads her quickly out of the study.
Hermione: "Holly, are you sure that was wise? Miss Tonks doesn't have any training as a Mind Healer."
Holly: "Hermione, I believe Tonks is secretly one of the wisest people I've ever met. She taught me a lot about defining who you are without outside influence. We'll check back in an hour to make sure everyone's all right, Okay?"
Hermione: "So what are we going to do?"
Holly's evil smirk makes Hermione gulp.
Holly: "Don't worry Hermione; I promised I wouldn't try to seduce you anymore. I was just thinking that we should ask the twins for help making a spell."
Hermione's eyes swirl in madness, just a little. She grabs Holly's hand and starts striding off to find the Twins. Newt waits in the corridor, having been prevented from re-entering the study by Silencing and Imperturbable Charms.
When the girls return an hour later, they can barely hear a thump from behind the DADA lab door. Hermione moves up and casts the new (Weasley-Evans-Granger) one-way transparent wall spell, and she immediately gasps as she sees Tonks' body flung across the room to land on the desk. In a flash, Remus leaps on top of the Auror and claws at her body with abandon.
Hermione: "Holly! We have to get in there! Why are you just standing there?"
Holly: "Because I forgot the lawn chair and popcorn."
Hermione: "What?"
Hermione turns back to see what Holly is seeing; Tonks is now mostly naked with strips of cloth hanging off her now bouncy breasts and she is riding Remus's fervent pounding of her into the desk with the glee of a cowgirl. If the room wasn't silenced, we probably could hear her yell 'Yee Haw!'. Remus loses his balance for a moment and Tonks flips them onto the floor without her legs losing their grip around his (now visibly) bare arse under his robes. Tonks fully realises the cowgirl analogy, holding Remus to the floor with no doubt much greater strength than the werewolf was expecting.
Hermione: "She's quite... acrobatic. (Gasp) Oooh! That must have hurt."
Hermione starts to sink to the floor and settle in to watch when Holly cancels her spell.
Hermione: "What... why...? Are you sure we shouldn't... um... keep an eye on them?"
Holly: "We have Charms. Don't worry, this show should continue through dinner."
Hermione goggles.
Hermione: "R-really?"
Holly: "Yeah. You really would never have been able to satisfy him, y'know?"
Hermione: "Doesn't mean it wasn't worth trying..."
Transcription ends.

Transcription: 3rd June, 1994 starting 6:58 PM GST

Holly and Hermione are sitting on a folded futon in front of the wall beside Moony's study, watching the events transpiring within. Hermione is splitting her attention between the activity beyond and her History of Magic textbook. Holly grabs some popcorn from a bronze award cup labeled 'Special Award for Services to the School - Tom Marvolo Riddle, 1943'.
Holly: "Hermione, how many days would you say you were doubling under the Time Turner?"
Hermione: "Um, let's see. About...118. Why do you ask?"
Holly: "I have a challenge for us."
Hermione closes her book, setting it aside and turning to look at Holly.
Hermione: "Is this about getting into bars or something?"
Holly: "No, Hermione. I think we have access to all the mind-altering chemicals we need in ice cream and lemon drops. I'll give it to you as a single word."
Hermione: "What's the word?"
Holly: "OWLs!"
Hermione turns further to face Holly with one leg bent onto the ad-hoc davenport.
Hermione: "You can't be serious! We're a year behind in our prep work! Without the Turner we'll never..."
Holly: "Are you wanting to get perfect scores, or would you rather move into NEWT material a year early? Full access to the House library and the Restricted section is dependent on OWL scores, not to mention we'd have a later curfew."
Hermione: "Ooooooooh!"
Holly: "Exactly. For academics like yourself, the NEWTs are much more relevant, which means we could either take them on early or stay the extra year to 'prep for perfection'. You might even consider working out the next steps towards a Mastery or two while still having access to the Hogwarts library. Plus we get to skip all the blathering on the Professors go through in frightening the class about the importance of OWLs. The twins just weren't the same this year."
Hermione takes one deep breath and then another.
Hermione: "Oh, uhhh...yes they were, you were just in jail for it."
Holly: "Oh, right."
Hermione pulls her knees together onto the couch, kneeling anxiously, rubbing her thighs together.
Hermione: "You... aren't trying to seduce me, right?"
Holly: "No, I promised I wouldn't. Why? Are you... deeply motivated now?"
Hermione blushes and then kisses Holly on the cheek as she sits up. Holly turns and kisses her back on the mouth. Hermione starts to kiss Holly more lustfully, her tongue darting into Holly's mouth. Holly returns the kiss with enjoyment until Hermione draws back from the kiss suddenly, turns around and hops up to her feet, heading down the corridor. She stops and turns back to Holly.
Hermione: "I didn't mean... I just... I have to go!"
Hermione brings her hand to her lips and then turns back to speed away down the hallway.
Holly: (sigh) "Okay."
Transcription ends.

I guess Newt wanted you to know how Remus and Natalia got together as well. Don't blame me for the smut.
I needed to set the context of your discussion. I doubt Hermione would have kissed you if you hadn't been watching Moony and Natalia get it on for the past two hours.
Yes, but that wasn't needed either.
No, but it was awfully sweet!

Holly

*

Year-end marks for Holly Evans
Passing grades are Outstanding, Exceeds Expectations, & Acceptable. Failing grades are Poor, Dismal, & Troll
(Subject: theory - practical >> OVERALL)

Ancient Runes: a - o >> EE
Babbling can eat me- her theory exam was weighted for Arithmancy students
Astronomy: o - a >> EE
I spent extra time with Professor Sinistra given how little sky I had been seeing lately; once again Maths hang me up on the practical
Care of Magical Creatures: o - o >> O
As if Hagrid didn't already like me
Charms: ee - o >> O
I should have studied more
Defense Against Dark Arts: o - o >> O
Moony claims the theory grade isn't fudged, but since the practical was earned in sparring he maybe just didn't want to have to argue it with me
Divination: o - d >> A
I was using proper technique but getting unambiguously meaningless results- good thing this isn't a core class
Herbology: ee - ee >> EE
Six years of yardwork finally pays off, though I'm not sure Prof. Sprout wants me to come back- she took off points for descriptions like 'icky, sticky, and gooey'
History: ee - n/a >> EE
I had a long conversation with Cuthbert about why Goblin Wars happen- he actually remembered my name by the end of it. We've concluded that Wizards are stupid when they get complacent, and the stupidity accelerates when they've forgotten what caused the last 'rebellion'. Breaking contracts usually fires the starting gun, not goblin bloodlust.
Language Group- Romance: a - ee >> EE
My conjugation sucks, but my conversation was understandable. Professor Burton kept staring at my tongue. I don't think it's sexual; he seems intrigued by the linguistic possibilities.
Potions: ee - ee >> EE
Ask Snape what my actual grades were if you get a chance
Transfiguration: ee - o >> EE
Y'know, most everyone else averages up, Mum

*

Minerva,
I tried as best I could to stay calm. I tried to allow him to get comfortable and speak fairly. I just don't know how this is going to work out.

Transcription: 17th June, 1994 starting 6:58 PM GST
Professor Dumbledore finishes his year-end speech. Gryffindor wins the Quidditch Cup. Ravenclaw wins the House Cup, though the Weasleys earned Gryffindor a well-regarded last minute points boost for running WWRX for the sake of the students. As the post-speech bustle rises, Albus, Minerva and Professor Snape approach Holly where she is sitting at the Gryffindor table.
Prof. Dumb: "Would you accompany me to my office, Miss Evans? I believe there are a few matters we need to discuss."
Holly gives Minerva a brief look of panic.
Minerva: "If this is a school or family matter..."
Snape: "Pardon me, Professor McGonagall, but aren't those your students setting off fireworks in the Great Hall?"
The Twins' always-light rockets begin to ricochet between the pillars, showering sparks onto the House tables and causing students to start rushing for the doors.
Prof. Dumb: "I think you have a higher concern at the moment, Professor. Come with me, Miss Evans."
Holly reluctantly stands up and follows the Headmaster into a nearby doorway used by the Staff, as Minerva, Snape and Professor Flitwick attempt to bring order to the Weasley-induced panic and put out several fires. Holly trudges through several rooms, changing her glasses for the Lennon-shade version of her combat goggles as they walk. As they finally approach the Gargoyle defending the entrance to the Headmaster's chambers, Albus notices the change.
Prof. Dumb: "Miss Evans, what has happened to your eyewear?"
Holly: "I think I'm developing migraines. The lights all seem too bright to me."
Prof. Dumb: "Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised that you are more comfortable in shadow."
Holly: "If only because I'm kept in the dark so much."
The Gargoyle moves aside and both student and teacher ascend the rotating staircase up to the Headmaster's office, entering through the door that opens in anticipation of the Headmaster's pace. Albus gestures towards the small chair in front of his desk, and Holly sits down, taking note of the scrollwork detail in the wooden armrests.
Holly: "This is a nice chair."
Prof. Dumb: "Why thank you. I acquired a set of them in Portugal..."
Holly: "I especially appreciate the runework. It's artfully disguised."
Prof. Dumb: "Miss Evans. It is impolite to interrupt when another is speaking."
Silence hangs heavily for a moment.
Holly: "Are you done, sir?"
Prof. Dumb: "Did you have something you wished to tell me?"
Holly: "Sure, but it can wait. What did you want to see me about?"
Prof. Dumb: "I appreciate that you've fulfilled my requirements for re-admittance, but I am still concerned for the welfare of the students and staff with your return. In particular, I am worried that your animosity towards Professor Snape may ignite some undesirable actions."
Holly: "I have nothing against Professor Snape, sir."
Prof. Dumb: "Well, threatening his life was surely a poor way to communicate that."
Holly: "We had a misunderstanding."
Prof. Dumb: "You assaulted a Professor."
Holly: "I hit an unknown adult male assailant with a log. I wasn't even a student at the time and it happened outside of Hogwarts' property. Are you speaking to me in your capacity as Chief Warlock?"
Prof. Dumb: "No, but it illustrates..."
Holly: "Sir, pardon the interruption but can we speak as plainly as goblins? I already have a headache. What do you want from me?"
Prof. Dumb: "I want to speak with Harry."
Holly: "Don't we all..."
Prof. Dumb: "Holly, you know what I mean. I would like to speak to Harry."
Holly sits looking at the Headmaster for a moment.
Holly: "Umm, it's just me in here, sir."
Prof. Dumb: "You give me little choice..."
Albus flicks his wand from beneath the desk and Holly is suddenly forced into the shape of Harry.
Harry: "OW! What'd you do that for?"
Prof. Dumb: "Harry, my dear boy. It's been so long since last I saw you. You're growing into a fine young man."
Harry taps his foot, switching Holly's denims and mock turtleneck under his work robes to a more comfortable set sized to fit him. Harry rolls his eyes when he realises that the goggles have switched away and pulls out the frameless lenses from his robe pocket so he can see.
Harry: "Um... thank you, sir. We did see each other at the Shrieking Shack, though."
Prof. Dumb: "Yes, of course. Harry, I think it is time for you to step forward and appear in Magical Society. Dark times are approaching and the people will begin to need their heroes."
Harry: "Uhhh... right. What are you proposing, sir?"
Prof. Dumb: "I think it is time for Holly to retire from public life. I can help you to adjust to being Harry, introduce you to important people in society, only with the right advice and preparation so that you can best represent yourself as a member of our society."
Harry: "Sir, no one knows where I've been or what I have been doing. Also, the goblins present a clear problem and it's not like Holly can just disappear without anyone asking 'why?' or 'where?'. Are you proposing some sort of coming-out, where we reveal that Holly and Harry are the same person?"
Prof. Dumb: "Certainly not! Holly's reputation would hang around your neck like a lodestone. She has done so much damage..."
Harry: "Sir, I still don't understand what you are proposing. What would we tell the press? What would our next steps be? How am I to be seen by society? What skills am I meant to exhibit? Assuming you've been keeping me hidden and teaching me yourself, wouldn't my skills be expected to exceed those of a typical Fourth-year?"
Prof. Dumb: "These are all good questions, for which I will have answers by the time September rolls around."
Harry: "Sir, I can't help but think you know more about what's coming than you're saying. Has something happened?"
Prof. Dumb: "I heard a prophesy the other day."
Harry: "Another prophesy about me?"
Prof. Dumb: "Another, you say? Ah, Professor McGonagall no doubt mentioned that one. No, this was about Voldemort."
Harry: "Well, what did it say?"
Prof. Dumb: "Suffice to say, Lord Voldemort will soon have an ally to aid him in his quest to regain a body. I suspect that the time is growing short before we must face his evil once again."
Harry: "What about the first prophesy? What did that say about me?"
Prof. Dumb: "I think you should not worry about that for now. Enjoy the simplicity of youth, so long as you have it."
Harry purses his lips, gritting his teeth before forcibly relaxing his body.
Harry: "Sir, will I be staying here this summer to train with you?"
Prof. Dumb: "No, for the summer you must return to the Dursleys. They will care for you until it is time to return to school. I am sure after a brief meeting we can smooth over any ruffled feathers and have you safely back in their arms."
Harry: "As Harry."
Prof. Dumb: "Yes. I think Holly would just upset them, don't you?"
Harry: "Sir, there's no reason for me to stay with them anymore. I can stay with Professor McGonagall or with the Tonks'. Even the Weasleys makes more sense. At the Dursleys there is no safety- I'm not even allowed to use magic."
Prof. Dumb: "Harry, you must understand, the Dursleys provide a defense greater than any other I can offer."
Harry: "What defense? That if Riddle's followers found me there they'd just laugh at my misfortune and turn around?"
Prof. Dumb: "Harry, there is a special protection there based upon the sacrifice your mother made. Her sacrifice is empowered by the bonds of family, so that Voldemort and his minions have no power over you there. They cannot find you or approach you, because your mother's blood still flows there to protect you. So long as you return there during the summers, that protection is renewed for both you and them."
Harry: "You're saying that the reason I was left with the Dursleys was that I am protected by Evans blood, due to Lily's sacrifice?"
Prof. Dumb: "Yes. I enacted the protection there the night you were placed with them, and it has protected you ever since."
Harry: "Do you have any indication that it has helped?"
Prof. Dumb: "You never met a magical person until it was time to come to Hogwarts, did you?"
Harry: "No, but I can't say my memory in these matters is reliable."
Prof. Dumb: "Nonetheless, I consider it a success worth continuing. I want you to promise me you will stay with the Dursleys during the summer, Harry. It is vitally important."
Harry sits still, considering the conversation up to this point.
Harry: "Just to clarify; you aren't going to tell me the prophesy, you want me to return to the Dursleys despite their abject hatred of all things magical, you wish for me to cease acting as Holly ever again, I'll start making appearances as Harry by your side and when you have prepared both me and the situation for best effect, and the rest you'll have sorted by the end of summer?"
Prof. Dumb: "Excellent! I am so glad we've come to an understanding, Harry."
Harry reverts to Holly, tapping her foot to switch her clothes so that she now is wearing Lily's tie-dyed dress.
Holly: "It amazes me that people put their trust in you."
Prof. Dumb: "Harry, please don't do that. It is quite disconcerting."
Holly: "Disconcerting or not, this is who I am! I can't just 'become Harry' full-time even if I wanted to. I'm... I'm not used to it and I'd make all sorts of flubs, leading astute people to figure out the truth in short order. I'm fairly sure Florean Fortescue has already figured it out and I wouldn't put it past Professor Snape to see it once Harry shows up. Harry's like a spare tyre in the bonnet- good for short hops but unsafe for sustained use. Surely you see that?"
Prof. Dumb: "Mr. Fortescue is a concern but I trust Severus implicitly, and intend to inform him of the details of your condition once the Express has left the station. He will enable your transition and will act to cover for any indiscrete comments you may make until you have acclimated. Harry, your time as a girl is at an end. I would think you would find some solace in no longer being confused about your sexuality."
Holly: "I'm not confused about my sexuality, Professor; you are. Who else knows about this?"
Prof. Dumb: "And what would you say your sexuality is?"
Holly: "Love it with the people I trust. All others can keep their distance. Who else knows about Harry?"
Prof. Dumb: "Only we, Professor McGonagall, Madame Pomfrey, and Mr. Ollivander are aware of your true nature by my actions. Have you told anyone else?"
Holly: "Hermione knows as does Professor Lupin, since they were both there when the Animagus revealing potion opened my eyes. Auror Tonks knows, as Professor McGonagall brought her in to help me explore my dual nature."
Prof. Dumb: "Nymphadora is a poor choice for a confidant in this. She..."
Holly: "...hates being called Nymphadora. Call her Natalia or Auror Tonks. Anyway, she knows."
Prof. Dumb: "I'll have to fix that..."
Holly: "You'll have to kill me first!"
Prof. Dumb: "Harry, Nymphadora is unable to defend her mind in the least. Anything you've told her would be known to our enemies as soon as they realise she is important to you."
Holly stares icily at the Headmaster a full minute before responding.
Holly: "Your enemies aren't necessarily my enemies, Albus. I have no intention of following this half-arsed plan of yours and if you approach me or my friends about it, you'll find a very uncooperative response is aimed at your head. I agree that Harry should start making incidental appearances. As my practice at it improves, we can move to a more regular schedule of sightings. I would accept the story that you have been teaching me as your apprentice and now that I have proven I can handle myself you feel it is safe for me to be seen in public. Certainly Director Bones and Minister Fudge would harass you less if that were demonstrated. I will continue my education as Holly and you can start supplementing it with advanced techniques, stuff the Death Eaters won't anticipate, because I'm not going to beat any serious opponent with just the standard Hogwarts curriculum in my bag of tricks. I will REQUIRE full disclosure from you about the forces affecting my fate, Riddle's abilities and his expected behavior. Work with me honestly. Either we are partners or we aren't, but Harry won't show up unless I have a need for him."
Prof. Dumb: "If you continue to act only as Holly, you will find there is no place at Hogwarts for you. I will not help you in your difficulties, and you will find your wand snapped and your future very cold and wet in short order, assuming the goblins don't simply kill you."
Holly: "Your way or the doorway? That won't work out too well for Harry either, you know? It's not like you can separate us. Also, this isn't the only magical school and I'll likely get better treatment the further I get from you."
Prof. Dumb: "Harry, I am just trying to..."
Holly: "MY NAME... is Holly Evans. I'm surprised you keep forgetting it since you gave it to me."
Prof. Dumb: "Your knowledge is incomplete. You are Harry Potter!"
Holly: "Albus..."
Prof. Dumb: "I would appreciate it if you were to give me the respect I am due, and refer to me as Professor or Headmaster."
Holly: "Excuse me your Supremecy! How could I have considered disagreeing? The all-knowing and all-twinkling Albus Perky Wolf Dumb-Brain has spoken! I was being kind. Typically I call you Professor Dumb. Since you can't seem to address people as they ask you to, I am walking in your footsteps. Alby."
Prof. Dumb: "You are young and proud. Everything in your immature view seems to revolve around who you are at the moment because you have no sense of history and the greater forces at work here. You simply don't understand, and that leads you to make terrible choices, from insulting me to murdering a defenseless boy."
Holly's emotions war across her face for a few seconds before she closes her eyes tightly. After a minute, Holly looks once more at the Headmaster.
Holly: "I'd... like to share with you my understanding of things, and then you can tell me what I'm missing. Would that be alright?"
Prof. Dumb: "Please, proceed."
Holly: "I was born as Harry James Potter, son of James Potter and Lily Evans Potter. On the night of Halloween, 1981 my mother changed all that. Lily enacted some sort of ritual to protect me from the man that would kill both my parents that night, Tom Marvolo Riddle- you call him Voldemort around everyone else just to make them jump! As a result of my mother's protection, Riddle's body was incinerated, our house lost its roof, and yet somehow Riddle's spirit survived. Lily's ward was burned into my forehead and I became a girl. You and Professor McGonagall found me in the wreckage. I was taken away and modified to suit a cover story that would allow you to hide me in the mundane world while building up the reputation of Harry Potter, who I used to be, until that persona now means more to the average citizen of Magical Britain than the Monarchy. Professor, you built up Harry Potter into a myth, so that he could galvanise a society nearly lost to war, and because you need that myth to reappear when Riddle returns to rise up once more. In the meantime, I have grown up in an abusive household until I was retrieved like a forgotten tool to take my place in the magical world. By my own choices, I have handled some of the most dangerous situations that have arisen at Hogwarts in the last three years. Flint died because he was an immoral beast that you couldn't or wouldn't restrain, and I dealt with him permanently because he had proven he wanted to do worse to me. Flint wasn't defenseless by the way, he just LOST. As in that case, my actions since coming to Hogwarts have been universally misinterpreted to the point that Holly Evans is seen as the next Dark Lady, a complete opposite of my other identity as savior-of-the-world Harry. I became aware of my dual nature when our Animagus-revealing potion had a unique effect on me- not because you chose to speak honestly to me. Soon after, I read through my mother's journals and discovered the true extent of her sacrifice and the betrayals of those around her. Lily wrote of a prophesy that you said states I am the only one that can defeat Riddle. I don't know why you think I'm the one as you haven't told anyone what the prophesy said, but if it is truly my responsibility to handle this Riddle, I think it would be best if you told me everything you know about the situation. I also think it best for Harry and Holly to continue to exist, separately. My reputation as Holly opens doors that Harry will never be able to enter, and vice versa. Besides, as far as I'm concerned, Harry died that night and I rose from his ashes. Like a Phoenix."
Prof. Dumb: "There's only one problem with that arrangement, my boy."
Holly stands up from the chair to lean over the desk, arching her chest forward towards the Headmaster's face. Prof. Dumb sits back in his chair in mild discomfort.
Holly: "Already you're off count, as I am most bulgingly, visibly not your 'boy'! I could strip down if you need a more obvious reminder. What's your problem with what I said?"
Prof. Dumb: "Harry Potter is not a myth. You are. Specifically, Holly Evans the rising Dark Lady is a myth. There have been Dark Lords going back to the time of Pharaohs. There have only been two Dark Ladies; Baba Yaga and Morgaine. Each was able to bend reality to their satisfaction long before anyone knew their name. Our society does not abide a 'rising' Dark Lady. If you continue on this path, society will find a way to destroy you."
Holly: "I can't begin to tell you how irrelevant that argument is. I don't want to be a Dark Lady! I just want to be Holly. That option is closed, as I supposedly have a greater duty to 'our society' to perform and a criminal record to work around. As just Harry Potter, I will always be lying and making excuses and I'll never be myself. You'll want him to be a leader, someone people will follow, a paragon of decency and bravery, humble and respectful. Seriously, I can only commit to acting like that for two hours a day and stay convincing. Also, I'll need to have someone deserving to slap around afterwards."
Prof. Dumb: "You are not taking this seriously. I find it pointless to continue in this conversation if you are dedicated to acting like a child."
Holly steps back from the desk but remains standing. She starts to giggle a little.
Holly: "Heh, ha ha. You... you... you can't talk to me now because I'm being childish? Foregoing the whole 'Harry is still 13' issue, I'm not the one threatening to take my toys and go home here!"
Prof. Dumb: "Harry..."
Holly: "I have presented a fair argument for why your plan doesn't work for me and offered an alternative. Compromise or accede. If you require further deliberations, we can reconvene at a later date. Please send your owl to my post box in Hogsmeade under the name 'Lady Evans'. I have to pack."
Holly walks over to the door leading to the stairs down to the Gargoyle. She tests the doorknob without success.
Prof. Dumb: "You cannot leave. We have not settled this. Now, please sit down."
Holly looks straight forward at the unyielding door. She pulls out the holly wand and points it at the wall next to the Westward window.
Holly: "Bend this reality."
With three swift twists of her wand, the wall is annihilated by successive silent hexes (Bombarda, Reducto and Expulso, I think), leaving a seven-foot wide opening. Following her last spell, Holly sprints across the room and jumps out the hole into the open space beyond. Prof. Dumb stands up startled and swiftly strides to the opening to see Holly 50 feet below, deftly mounting her Firebolt and swooping off over the Forbidden Forest.
Transcription ends.

That... could have gone better. I doubt Albus will be kicking me out of Hogwarts. Harry and I are a package deal. Hopefully you can convince him to grow up over the summer. Good luck with that. Send me an owl through Tonks or Bathilda if you have time, but I haven't decided to open up the Madhouse to regular visitors just yet.

Holly

*

Minerva,
After having Dobby take all my things home I decided to ride the Express after all. I wanted to keep an eye on my favorite people, and make sure everyone made it home safely. What happened... was unexpected. I'd just like to point out that none of it was my idea, I was just caught up in the moment. Moments. Things went weird. Not my fault. Entirely.
Newt, the EDITED version, please. This is for family consumption.
Mum, I don't think there's a way to write this for all audiences.
You just don't want to.
Guilty. Grandmum, please forgive me if the lettering starts off a bit jumpy, as I am extremely stimulated at the moment.

Transcription: 17th June, 1994 starting 4:30 PM GST
In summary, Holly and Hermione were sitting in their carriage car, reading. The room filled with the scent of flowers and the two girls, after a brief negotiation, made love together. Now at the conclusion of their loveplay Holly remains awake though feeling quite drunk, and suddenly notices Luna Lovegood sitting in the corner of the far bench appearing quite flushed and happy. Holly quickly binds Luna in ropes from her ashwood wand.
Holly: "Luna, what the Hell are you up to? What did you do to us?"
Luna squirms slightly on the bench until she is able to change her position enough to look straight at Holly.
Luna: "You are... exquisite. Even your scars are pretty. Like ribbons and bows."
Holly looks down at her naked form before snapping her attention back to the bound blonde.
Holly: "Luna, I'll ask again, what just happened?"
Luna: "I think you had sex with Hermione while I watched. I'm not sure any more. It was so long ago."
Holly: "Are you... alright? No wait, that's a silly question. You seem different than before. More spacey, less spastic."
Luna: "I have been receiving my full recommended daily allowance of gumdrops. Do you eat gumdrops?"
Holly: "Luna, why do I feel turned on and why did Hermione forego her chastity again?"
Luna: "I love the smell of flowers. Maybe you're turned on because you want to kiss me. I would want to kiss me, if I were you."
Holly: "Luna, I'm struggling not to hurt you."
Luna: "I like that you always call me Luna. It's like having friends would feel, I think. Holly, I am sorry for how I spoke to you last time. I'm also sorry that Hermione wasn't loving you anymore, so I tried to fix that for you. Before, I thought it would make you unhappy and seek solace with me, but instead you killed a boy. I really didn't think that would happen, even if it made me happy that you did it. Marcus Flint was very quickly becoming tiresome."
Holly lurches forward to sit on the bench next to Luna, though she keeps her wand out.
Holly: "God, I can barely think. Luna, did you make Hermione stop loving me? Is that why you did this?"
Luna's eyes start to water.
Luna: "You're going to hate me soon. I may never be kissed by a girl. Yes, I made Hermione distrust you, but she seems to have shaken that off. Why wouldn't she want to have sex with you, if she were no longer held back? I would if I were her. I had to fix the problem. Now perhaps her thinking will clear up. Her brain doesn't work right, you know."
Holly: "You did all this just to get a kiss?"
Luna: "Yes, please! I need to kiss you."
Holly: "You need to?"
Luna: "I... want to, because you're so close and naked and warm, but I need to because I have a message from Fate."
Holly: "What's the message?"
Luna: "Kiss me."
Holly starts to squirm on the bench, panting slightly.
Holly: "Just tell me the message, Luna."
Luna: "No, I mean I don't know what the message is, I can only give it to you in a kiss."
Holly's lidded eyes and heavy breathing reveal her heightened arousal. Holly leans forward to kiss Luna. As their lips connect, Luna's lips, eyes and tongue change colour to a deep wine purple. Holly's snog with Luna lasts several minutes, during which Luna's gasps become squeaks until suddenly Luna yelps. The two girls cease moving, their lips still locked in a deep snog. Holly quivers for a minute before flinging backwards to land in an unconscious heap on the carriage floor. Luna's features revert to their normal colouring and the blonde girl's gasps for air slow until she lolls her head forward in sleep.
Hermione awakes several minutes later with a start. After a frantic assessment, she quickly dresses and throws Holly's cloak over her naked body on the floor. She begins to cry, shaking her head as she turns about the cabin. Hermione notices Luna's sleeping but bound form and quickly finds her wand to cancel the bindings. With a last shake of her head Hermione cancels the lock on the carriage door and exits, heading towards a loo.
Luna wakes a few minutes later, twists her body making several cracking sounds and then kneels down to kiss Holly's forehead. Her lips press firmly for a moment, and then the Ravenclaw rises and leaves the cabin as well.
Holly wakes to find herself laying on the floor covered in her cloak. She taps a toe and her clothes switch back to jeans and a mock turtleneck, with her Combat Goggles in Lennon-shade form allowing her to focus her vision. Holly reaches under the bench and retrieves a large multicoloured flower with six flat petals. Holly sits up, inspecting the flower for a moment before rising. She retrieves her normal glasses, boots, ashwood wand, the quiver and Lily's tie-dyed frock just as the train comes to a stop at the London station. Looking up and out through the train window, Holly sees students departing the train. Spotting Neville Longbottom, Holly bolts from the carriage. She catches up with Neville after calling his name through the crowd.
Holly: "Neville! Hi!"
Neville smiles for a moment before looking down at his shoes.
Neville: "H-hi, Holly."
Holly: "Nev, I... uuhh... I hate to be abrupt about this, but could you take a look at something and tell me what you think?"
Neville: "Oh, uhh... s-sure, sure."
Holly unfolds her hand to reveal the large flower and places it in Neville's palm.
Holly: "I... uhh.. I found this on the train and I think it has unusual properties. Do you recognise it?"
Neville: "Erm, well, yes. It's a... a Bacchus Poppy, or Dionysus Poppy if you prefer. They're quite rare nowadays, but centuries ago the Dionysian cults used to use them to uhh... start things up."
Holly: "Start things up? How do you mean?"
Neville: "Well, the Bacchus Poppy removes inhibitions, freeing the mind of its shackles. They would open up a few dozen of these to start off a Bacchanal."
Holly: "So they're party favours?"
Neville: "No, more like a religious sacrament. A Bacchanal would start as a women's-only party to honour Bacchus, but once they used these it might become an orgy, or worse."
Holly: "Worse?"
Neville: "Women in the height of this madness might... tear apart loved ones from the force of their frenzy. The Bacchus Poppy is said to cut through all inhibitions and magical enchantments to draw a person to act on their truest feelings, but only in sufficient... quantities. One flower wouldn't do it, unless you used a sack I suppose..."
Holly: "Thank you, Neville."
Holly smiles at the tall sandy-haired boy as she retrieves the flower from his palm. A single flake of dark blue pollen drifts upward.
Neville: "Holly..."
As Holly turns her head up to regard her fellow Gryffindor once more, he sweeps her into a graceful dip and proceeds to snog her deeply. After a moments surprise, Holly leans into the kiss, her hand reaching up into Neville's hair as she speeds up the force and movement of their deep kiss. A minute passes and then Neville swings Holly back up to standing, at which point the entire population of the platform erupts in applause. Holly grins madly at Neville who blushes incredibly red.
Neville: "Oh! Holly, I am so sorry..."
Holly: "Don't sweat it Neville. Who knew that they were all rooting for you?"
The cheers and clapping slowly recedes as students return to their departure processes, though an insistent buzz of chatter accompanies the usual bustle.
Neville: "Holly, really. I don't know what came over me..."
Holly places a finger on his lips.
Holly: "Neville, you're forgiven. I'll just accept this as an enthusiastic thank you."
Neville: "Thank you? Thank you! You bought the wand!"
Holly: "I did. It seemed the right thing to do, what with as much trouble as you were having."
Neville: "I-It's taken me a whole year just to thank you for my wand. I'll try to be more prompt about that sort of thing. I-in the future."
Holly sets her face to a calm smirk.
Holly: "Good idea. Have a good summer, Neville."
Neville: "Holly?"
Holly: "Yes?
Neville: "I-I really like it when you smile."
Holly smiles in surprise.
Neville: "Yeah, just like that."
Holly: "Smooth, Neville. Five points to Gryffindor."
Neville walks away looking back at Holly with a half-smile pasted on his face until an older woman with a bizarre hat yanks his tie to grab his attention and begins to berate him for his behavior.
Transcription ends.

I just wanted to give you a prompt and fair warning in case Dame Longbottom Floo-calls you to complain about my seducing her grandson. It was his fault, the masher, but I have no desire to press charges. Luna... will require some thought. She sent me visions, but I can't remember them yet as they're all smushed together.

Holly

*

18th June, 1994

Newt, add the last, please.

Transcription: 17th June, 1994 starting 7:14 PM GST
Hedwig lands on Holly's lap. After staring at each other for a few minutes, Holly resumes writing in her journal and Hedwig moves up to Holly's shoulder for a better angle to read. As Hermione approaches, Holly stands up from the side bench causing Hedwig to flap her wings to keep balancing on Holly's shoulder. Hermione walks up looking a bit rumpled, and Holly asks if she remembers what happened on the train- Hermione's deep blush indicates full and total recall. Holly apologises, though she says she's only sorry for breaking her word a little; she still loves Hermione. After discussing what Neville said about the Bacchus Poppy and jointly shaking their heads at Luna's behavior, they exit to the muggle side of Platform 9 3/4. They walk together towards the carpark exit, Hermione dragging along her trunk and Crookshanks' cage on a trolley. The overall noise in the station covers their discreet conversation.
Hermione: "Just when I'm sure everything's been settled, we have sex and you snog Neville. A few hours ago I was straight and you were a lesbian. I think it's the train that does it."
Holly: "Well first of all, I'm at least partly bisexual. Second, Neville snogged me, though I can't say it was unpleasant in the least. You're just confused and didn't know a good thing when you had it."
Hermione: "Yes I did. In fact I was just given a potent reminder."
Holly: "You know what this means, right?"
Hermione: "What 'what' means?"
Holly: "It wasn't the cat-brain that liked being sexual with me. It was you. The cat-brain just released your inhibitions."
Hermione: "Well... that's not the only way... and what does 'at least partly bisexual' mean?"
Holly: "Sort yourself over summer. When next I see you I want to share secrets and nightmares with you, but it's too soon and we've drifted too far apart. Please, just work out what you feel for me, truly."
Hermione: "From the way you're talking I would assume you weren't planning to join us in France this summer."
Holly: "Was the invitation still open?"
Hermione: "Ehhmmm, no. I wrote Mum and Dad about how we broke up and the fact that we had a relationship to break up in the first place was not lost on my father. You're not allowed in the house. Or the car, for that matter. I'm sorry; he's being frightfully difficult."
Holly: "No worries. If you find the time, see if you can figure out where the Flamels lived."
Hermione: "If I can find the magical places in Bordeaux, I'll be sure to ask. I doubt it's a published location, though."
Holly: "Too right, but they still had contact with the world so someone must know. Hermione, I want you to take Hedwig for the first week or two. I have this bad feeling, and I want you to be able to send for help. Worse comes to worst, call for Dobby- he'll be under instruction to check up on you periodically and to save you no matter what else is happening."
Hermione: "You're still obsessing about that prediction, aren't you?"
Holly: "Hermione, there's so much I want to share with you, but I need to know you're ready for it. Write me a letter, a bunch of letters. Let me know how you feel when you have distance from this insanity. I really want us to repair what we had. You are still my first, best friend."
Hedwig wings the back of Holly's head forcefully with a WHAP.
Holly: "Human friend, first and best human friend! That's the other reason, by the way. Hedwig's still mad at me. See if you can get her to tell you why."
Hermione: "I can't speak with birds!"
Holly extends her arm, allowing Hedwig to sidestep over to Hermione's shoulder.
Holly: "Use a Rapport."
Hermione: "Wandlessly?"
Holly: "You have the talent. When you put your mind to something, it's only a matter of time and pressure. You're a force of nature, Hermione Granger."
Hermione grins. Mrs. Granger approaches.
Mrs. Granger: "Hermione, who is this? Have you made a new... Good Lord, Holly! Whatever has happened to you?"
Holly: "You know how they say that trauma can age a person?"
Mrs. Granger: "So I have heard it told."
Holly: "I am living the adage."
Mrs. Granger: "You... have my sympathies. Come along Hermione."
Hermione: "Goodbye, Holly! I'll take good care of Hedwig! She... she won't get a scratch!"
Holly: "Yeah, she's usually the giver, scratch-wise. Bye."
Holly waves goobye with a strained smile.
Holly: "Newt, I have a really bad feeling about this."
Newt: [Squeak, squeak squeak!]
Holly turns around and finds Albus Dumbledore standing directly in front of her. Albus grabs Holly's arm and Apparates, appearing in an isolated copse of trees two blocks from the Dursley's house in Little Whinging.
Prof. Dumb: "It is vitally important that you stay at the Dursley's. Try to be Harry as often as you can, for the practice. I have already told your family what to expect."
Holly turns somewhat dazedly and begins walking towards Number Four, Privet Drive.
Transcription ends.

Came to my senses after the Dursleys went to bed. Split lip and a bump on my noggin- I think Uncle Vernon was annoyed that I wasn't talking, though I vaguely remember something he said about Christmas. Can't quite find the energy to leave. I'll write more soon.

Love,
Holly

*

... and so concludes Year 3: Holly Evans and the Discomforting Truths. Tune in next chapter for the start of Year 4: Holly Evans and the Dark Rituals. Tangent 9 'Floral Influence' coming soon.
Year 1 - Holly Evans and the Nice, Dumb People - Chapters 1-3
Year 2 - Holly Evans and the Horror Beneath the Surface of Things - Chapters 4-14
Year 3 - Holly Evans and the Discomforting Truths - Chapters 15-33, Tangents 1-9
Year 4 - Holly Evans and the Dark Rituals
Year 5 - Holly Evans and the Two Sides of the Coin
Year 6 - Holly Evans and the Greater Purpose
Year 7 - Holly Evans and the Death of Powerful Men
Sign up to rate and review this story