Categories > Cartoons > Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles > Forever and Always: A TMNT Drabble Fic

Chapter 7

by Flyer16 0 reviews

We all die. The goal isn't to live forever. The goal is to create something that will. -- Unknown

Category: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Published: 2015-06-15 - 1803 words

0Unrated
A/N

READ THIS!!! YES, I’M TALKING TO YOU!!!!! YOU NEED TO READ THIS!!!!!

This chapter gets kinda graphic. It’s not so bad that I have to set up a separate thing for all those who don’t like blood. To be completely honest, I don’t blame them… blood is… ewww…..

But just to give you a heads-up, there will be blood in this.

One other thing: This one’s going to be pretty long… so… buckle up.


~~~~~~~

“Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.”
--Norman Cousins

~~~~~~~

Raphael stood with his arms crossed over his plastron as he gazed out over the New York City sky line as the sun slowly sank into the horizon.

All husbands dream of this day. For some, it’s a nightmare and for others, it’s the best day of their lives.

But for others still, it was both.

That’s where he was. He couldn’t decide if this was a good thing or a bad thing.

Carrie was pregnant again. And after the almost life-draining birth of Benois, their eighteen-month-old son, Raph was more than just a little hesitant about having another child.

On the one hand, he was ecstatic. He loved Benny with his whole heart and would love this new baby just as much. But on the other hand, if that meant losing his beloved wife in the process, he didn’t know how he would cope.

His ear piece crackled to life.

“Hey, bro. You coming back soon?” Mikey’s slightly static voice asked.

“Yeah.” Raph sighed.

Mikey was quiet for a moment. “She’s cryin’, man.” he said softly.

Raph closed his eyes and bowed his head. “I’m… I’m on my way.”

~~~~~~~~~~

Mikey wasn’t kidding. When Raph walked into his home, Carrie wasn’t crying, but her eyes were red and puffy.

“Benny’s asleep.” She whispered.

“That’s good.” he said. Raph glanced at the digital clock on the wall as he made his way over to where she sat on the counter. “Means we’ll have the rest of the night to ourselves.”

“Are you angry, Raph?” Carrie asked, on the brink of tears. Raph smiled softly.

“Naw, baby.” he said and placed a hand on either side of her. “Just… worried.”

Carrie slid off the counter and buried her face in his shoulder. His arms automatically wrapped themselves around her waist. “I didn’t know what to do.” she said, her voice quivering. “You just tore out of here like someone lit you on fire. I thought you didn’t want a baby.”

Raph really wanted to tell her that he did want another child, but only if he knew for a fact that she would live through labor and birth. She was too close to dying last time for him to be overjoyed about the idea.

“I know what you’re thinking.” she said.

“You always do.” Raph said and kissed her hair.

“You’re thinking about last time, aren’t you?” she asked. It wasn’t really a question. It was more of a statement that needed some establishment.

Raph hesitated. “Yeah.” he choked out. “I am.”

Carrie slid one of her hands from around his torso up to his face and pulled away just enough to look him in the eye.

“I’m a little scared, too.” She admitted. “But that’s no reason to expect the worst.”

“I think you’ve been talking with Splinter too much.” he joked with a small grin. She smiled.

“He’s a little too excited to have another grandchild for his own good.” she said.

Raph laughed. “I’ll bet he is.” and lightly pressed his lips to her forehead.

“Raph?”

“Hm?”

“Are you happy?”

Was he happy? That was the question of the day… In many ways, he was. He had a loving wife, adoring son, three supportive brothers, and a caring father. Not to mention April and Casey. Why should he not be happy?

But there was that nagging feeling in the back of his mind.

It was like someone was looking down on him, plotting and planning a huge wave of suffering and grief to crash over him and his family at any moment. And it scared him shitless…

~~~~~~~~~

Morning sickness kicked in almost immediately. At first, Raph wasn’t worried. This happened when she was pregnant with Benny. It had kind of become a routine…

She’d shoot out of bed in the morning and Raph would then hear the sound of hurling from the bathroom. He’d get out from under the covers and go hold her hair away from her face and rub her back soothingly. Then he’d help her back to bed and insist that she not move a muscle. After that, he’d go make some toast and apple juice and bring them back up to her on a tray.

What he hadn’t counted on was the fact that Benny could now make movements that somewhat resembled walking and would try to follow his daddy everywhere… to the point where Raph almost tripped over the toddler on his way to the small work-out/weapons repair room.

He plopped Benny in his play pen in front of the TV and didn’t hear a peep out of him until lunch time.

That’s when Carrie decided to come down the short flight of stairs to relieve Raph for the rest of the day.

But when she started not coming down the stairs until well after lunch was cleaned up, Raph worried. She would stay in bed for a great part of the day. She wasn’t able to keep any food in her stomach for more than a few minutes and she sometimes would tell him that it felt like someone was scraping her insides out with a spork.

If he wasn’t scared half out of his mind about the whole situation, he would have laughed at her analogy. None of this happened when she was pregnant with Benny…

So he went to Donnie.

“She’s gettin’ worse and worse.” He said. “And she complains ‘bout really bad cramps sometimes.”

Donnie didn’t say anything at first. He really didn’t have to anyway… Raph could read it all on his face.

“You might want to bring her here where I can have a good look at her.” Donnie finally said with a nervous frown. Raph swallowed hard.

“Is she gonna be ok?”

“I have no idea, Raph.” He sighed. “You better go get her. The sooner I find out what’s wrong, the better.”

~~~~~~~~~~

“My god…” Carrie’s grip on Raph’s hand tightened as Donnie gently moved his stethoscope around on her slightly round belly. “Ow. Ow, ow, ow…”

“Don?” Raph asked as Donnie put the instrument away.

“I don’t know what’s going on.” Donnie said plainly. “I’m no OB/GYN.”

“Well then, what are we supposed ta do?”

“My best guess would be just to take it easy.” Donnie said to both Raph and Carrie. “That means that Carrie is not allowed out of bed at all.”

“Wait,” She stopped him, forgetting her pain for the time being. “You’re putting me on bed rest?!”

“Yes, I am.” Donnie said and looked at her, daring her to oppose him. She narrowed her eyes, but said nothing more.

“I’ll get her home.” Raph said and scooped her up in his arms. His gut roiled when she sucked in a breath through clenched teeth.

He didn’t even see the rest of his family waiting outside the lab-room Donnie had used for the examination. He only thought about Carrie and how much this whole series of events just further convinced him that he had been right from the start…

~~~~~~~~~~~

Donnie’s prescription of permanent bed-rest seemed to be doing the trick. At least… somewhat.

Carrie seemed to be sleeping more and better. She was able to hold her food down long enough for her to get nourishment out of it. But that crippling pain in her midsection never got any better.

Donnie asked Raph to come talk to him privately, away from where Carrie might overhear.

“Raph,” Donnie started, not sure how to tell his brother his news. “I’m just going to tell this to you straight…”

“You seem to be makin’ a few detours, bro.” Raph said and crossed his arms. “What’s wrong?”

“It’s Carrie.”

“No kiddin'.”

“Raph,” Donnie rubbed the back of his neck nervously. “You know what a miscarriage is, right?”

Thunder went off in Raph’s head. His vision was clouded by a white haze. His stomach felt like there was an elephant sweet sixteen going on in it.

The next thing he knew, he was bent over a bowl holding whatever was left of his undigested breakfast.

“Sorry.” he croaked. “Did you say, ‘miscarriage’?” Donnie just had to look at him and Raph knew he wasn’t screwing around. “No.” he whispered. “Please… no.”

“Raph, I’m sorry.” Donnie said. “There’s still a chance, but it’s slim.”

Raph only heard the word, “chance.” If there was anything he could do so save his wife and child, you could bet you kids’ college funds that he would do it.

Raph didn’t say anything about this to Carrie. He figured that this sort of knowledge would only make matters worse. Good thing, too.

That night, as he was crawling into bed, Carrie sat straight up and screamed while clutching at her stomach.

“Carrie!” He yelled, trying to get her attention. “Carrie, what’s wrong?” he grabbed her arm and forced her to look at him.

“It hurts, Raph!” she screamed. “Oh my god, it hurts!”

A sickening thought struck him and he tossed the covers off of her body. Blood coated the sheets and continued flow from an unseen wound.

Raph’s mind went completely blank. All he could hear was Donnie’s voice saying, “Miscarriage.”

TO BE CONTINUED

A/N

Don’t hate me… I’m a sucker for cliff-hangers.

Sorry this took so long for me to get posted. Like I said, what with all the construction shit going on at my place and I just took the ACT for the first time yesterday, I have just been dead… and this chapter was kinda hard to write… I mean… I only know stuff that my dad and mom have told me cuz she had a miscarriage and he’s an OB/GYN… soooo…. Yeah…

Stay tuned for the next part of this chapter. It should be up within the next couple of days.

Rate, review, make your mark.

This is Flyer16. Over and out.
Sign up to rate and review this story