Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > The Bass Files

Who´s in for a round of honest feelings and awkwardness?

by FrostedGlass 3 reviews

In chapter five of your new favorite still Pete-Wentz-less piece of FOB fanfiction Sheena has a brain-out-of-body experience and is told an earth-shattering lie about chewing gum.

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: G - Genres: Drama, Humor, Romance - Published: 2006-09-28 - Updated: 2006-09-28 - 1117 words

1Exciting
5. Who´s in for a round of honest feelings and awkwardness?


A few days later I was invited to witness one of Andy´s, Joe´s and Patrick´s band practices. Okay, technically I wasn´t really ´invited´ per se I actually tagged along...

When I opened the door to my apartment I found a mischievously grinning Andy behind it. "Hi, there. I was wondering if you could do without your bass for a few hours?"

"You wanna borrow it?"

He nodded. "Say, can I come in a for a second? It´s pretty cold out here." He rubbed his hands against his upper arms.

I opened the door wider for him to enter. "Of course, sorry." So much for bedazzling him with my hospitality. He closed the door behind him and followed me into the living room.

"You wanna sit down?", I asked, feeling strangely nervous, as if it had been the first time I was alone with a guy in a room. It was undeniable that I had developed a certain attraction to Andy ever since I´ve met him the first time.

I adored how he could immediately tune in to the nature and mood of his current interlocutor, it just came to him so easily. When he was talking to Joyce he would have this air of the caring big brother around him. I´ve overheard him cheering her up when things were stressy at college and talking some sense into her when she was rambling about dropping out and concentrating on a full-time musical career. When it came to Joe, he would share the silliest insider jokes with him and sometimes the two of them would just look at each other and start laughing hysterically. Yet, sometimes Andy would tell Joe off for picking on Patrick. Of course, Andy occasionally pulled somebody´s leg as well, also Patrick´s for being unnecessarily shy and self-conscious. However, his remarks didn´t come off as caustic as Joe´s. Even Patrick had to smile at them. What´s more, Andy never picked on him when Joyce was around, in order not to humiliate his friend in front of his ´secret´ (ha ha) crush. He was really one of the nicest people I´ve ever met.

I sighed. Andy looked at me curiously. If I didn´t start to watch my behavior around him I´d end up like Patrick, wearing my heart on my sleeve. I jumped up as if stung by a bee (the size of a fully-grown Saint Bernhard dog), "Do you want something to drink? I have coke, Mountain Dew, Dr. Pep-"

"Nah, I´m good. Thank you.", Andy interrupted my enumeration and smiled at me.

"How about a snack or something?" I started rattling off the contents of my junk food stash in the kitchen.

The guy let out a hearty laugh, stopping any further product placement escaping my lips.

He motioned me to sit down next to him again. "You gots to chill."*, he told me with an amused expression on his face.

Inwardly, I rolled my eyes at the cheesiness dripping off that sentence. And you gots to have a Jamaican passport if you wanna use that line without looking like a fool. I looked at him smiling smugly to himself. But for now I´ll let it slide on account of the fact that I´m feeling like a teenager in love and can´t fight against finding everything you say incredibly witty and funny.

I let out a giggle to match that last concept. Do you know the feeling when it seems like you have left your body and you can see yourself from kind of the outside? I think that must have happened to my brain a few moments ago, probably when I had opened the door for Andy.

"I´m not hungry, thank you.", he leaned back on my sofa. "Besides, I´m a vegan, so I wouldn´t even look at half of your stuff.", he mentioned jokingly.

I was praying he didn´t posses special vegan powers that could detect that I had had an extra meaty cheeseburger for lunch earlier. I checked the pockets of my jeans for a pack of chewing gum and popped in a strip.

"Like, take that chewing gum, for instance. There´s animal by-products is lots of food that you´d never expect to contain any."

Smooth move, I congratulated myself. What are the chances of a sudden heart attack caused by serious embarrassment? My only hope was I didn´t look as stupid as I felt on the inside. Obviously I did.

"Man, you are one easy target, Sheena. I was only kidding.", Andy sniggered. "Hand me one?", he pointed at the pack of chewing gum. I handed it over to him.

I vowed to myself that I wouldn´t eat anything in front of him for the next hundred years. I stared at the table in front of us to avoid his eyes.

"Don´t feel embarrassed, I pull that one off with every new kid I meet. If Joyce were around she would have probably slapped me for it because she´s so sick of that joke."

I wished Joyce had been around.

"So, erm", Andy´s voice changed to a more serious tone, "why I´m here is that Curious Joe carried out a little experiment with the bass guitar in which he underestimated the power of gravity... or rather the one of impact with a concrete floor. Which brings me to my question: Can we borrow your bass for about two hours?"

"Sure.", I shrugged.

"Coolness.", Andy got up. I did too and got the instrument for him. We walked to the door.

"So, band practice, huh?", I opened the door for him, stating the obvious.

"Yup.", he walked outside and turned around to face me.

Silence. Andy glanced at his watch. "And actually I´m late so..."

"Yeah, I should probably get back to the interesting world of Wednesday afternoon TV program... Have fun and try to protect my bass if Joe´s thirst for physical knowledge kicks in again, okay?" I know, I know. I should have my own comedy show.

Andy smirked and nodded, "Bye."

"Bye, then.", I shut the door.

Seconds later there was a knock and as I opened the door again Andy asked me if I cared to tag along to the band practice if I had nothing better to do. Take a word of wisdom from the expert: there´s nothing quite as effective as nerdiness to score you a charity hang-out.


_________

* horribly cheesy line cleverly used to express Andy´s perfectly laid-back laidbackness.
Sign up to rate and review this story