Categories > Cartoons > Daria > Silent Cynic

Dealing with the Past, Preparing for the Future

by DrT 0 reviews

Daria and Co. prepare for their futures after Jane deals with a past problem; Daria & Jane take a short cruise

Category: Daria - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Daria,Jane,Quinn - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2024-08-27 - 3764 words - Complete

0Unrated
The Silent Cynic
By Dr. T

Chapter 16—Dealing with the Past, Preparing for the Future

Jane spent most of the next three weeks at the Morgendorffers. This period was probably not the best time for Ms Li to suggest that Daria might want to transfer to Grove Hills, a school for the gifted partially sponsored by the state. (Any transfers reflected well to the State Board of Education, otherwise Ms Li would have been strongly against the idea of losing gifted students.) The Morgendorffers (with Daria’s complete agreement) turned the idea down flat, while Jodie’s parents decided that that while intellectual snobs, most of the students at the school would likely grow up to be mid-level managers and tech drones, and so unlikely to boost their children’s careers. Jodie was just glad to escape.

Troy and Daria did go on a few dates, but mostly saw each other during the chess club meetings and after school sodas at Pizza Prince, sometimes with Jane, usually without. Although offered the spare room, Jane spent most nights sleeping with Daria, although she did go home for some nights (mostly to check on Trent). Paul, even if he had quickly realized his mistakes and sincerely apologized, was ignored by Daria as well as Jane. As Jane had pointed out to Daria and Troy, there was no way she could ever trust Paul again. Paul and Troy stayed friends, however.

Finally, however, Helen took a Friday afternoon off, and drove Jane (and Daria) to a clinic in Washington. Jane would spend the rest of the weekend miserable to say the least. Monday morning, a still-sad looking Jane presented Coach Morris with a doctor’s note. To both teens’ surprise, Morris looked concerned – almost compassionate – when she read it; neither Jane nor Daria could tell that she recognized the doctor’s name and knew what it implied, although Daria quickly figured it out. What she didn’t ascertain for certain was that Morris knew the doctor (and the clinic she worked at) from personal experience as well as from a few other similar notes in the past.

“Lane,” she stated, going back to her usual abrupt, gruff manner, “you’re excused of course.” She thought for a moment and then barked, “Morgendorffer! Come here.” When Daria approached, Morris said softly, “Take your friend to the library this week. Make sure you both sign in; I will check. Lane.” Jane looked up. “You’ll be okay, I promise you. Morgendorffer, look after her.” Morris picked up her whistle. “The rest of you! Why aren’t you changed!” She blew her whistle. “You two, get going!”

“Yes, Coach Morris!” Morris shook her head, knowing there wouldn’t be much of a chance to get Lane on the track team this year. Well, there was always next year. If she wasn’t recovered in a few weeks, Morris decided she would refer her to Manson.

As they walked down the hallway, Jane said quietly, “Wow, she was almost human. I wonder why?”

Daria did not reply, as she wondered if Morris had merely recognized the significance of the note, or had direct or indirect experience.

When the two arrived at the Morgendorffers that afternoon, Daria saw that her SAT scores had arrived. They therefore went over to Jane’s to see if hers had also arrived. After finding her SAT results in the pile of mail and assuring themselves that Trent was alive (deduced from the snores from his room) and that none of the other mail was threatening loss of services or anything else drastic, the two went to Jane’s room to open their scores.

“Go on,” Jane urged as they sat facing each other on the bed, not overly confident in her own scores. She believed she would have to score at least in the 1200s, if not 1300s, to have a chance at the top state universities Daria was now considering. Daria rolled her eyes but then opened her scores. Jane was pleased when she saw the genuine, large smile on her friend.

“Failed, huh,” Jane teased. Taking the sheet from Daria, Jane sighed. “Eight hundred on each. Why am I not surprised?” She held out hers. “Let me know if I got at least eight hundred total.”

‘After the coaxing I gave you in test taking, not to mention the math tutoring, I am sure you at least did okay,’ Daria assured her. She opened and read the scores. ‘You did not quite make eight hundred…you scored seven-twenty…on the verbal and five-ten on the math. Twelve-thirty, well done.’ Daria leaned forward and lightly gave the now doubly-astonished Jane a kiss, making her blush.

“I can’t believe I did that well on either,” Jane admitted once she reacquired her aplomb. “I did hope for at least a six hundred verbal unless I screwed up and maybe four-fifty math at best.”

‘Now you just have to meet the portfolio requirements,’ Daria pointed out.

“It’s only twelve-thirty….”

‘You slightly exceed the minimum SAT requirements at the schools we are mostly thinking of, but what counts is your art,’ Daria reminded her friend. She had learned, and told Jane, that what counted most for the majority of good art or creative writing programs would be their portfolios, just as auditions counted most for music programs. Daria sighed. ‘Speaking of which, I guess I had better get started on my own.’

“Oh, I totally forgot! I talked with Trent, and he said he’d be glad to consider any new lyrics for his songs. He wrote all of what passes for their music, but he cares a lot more for what passes for the music than most of his attempts at lyrics.”

Daria smirked. ‘I would say that it would not hurt, but that does mean I need to listen to them play.’ Then she slumped slightly.

“What?”

“There is a stupid contest O’Neill wants me to enter. The way he was carrying on, if I do not submit that extra credit essay I did for him, he might go to Mom so that he can enter me anyway so I might as well revise it and submit it.’

“Is the contest bad somehow?”

‘In theory, no, but it’s for ‘Val’ magazine.’

Jane wrinkled her nose. “I read it at a dentist office once. Given the choice, I think I’d take another dentist visit.” Jane suddenly got a crafty look. “Do you think your mother would go for sending you to a writing program this summer? You know, play up the college admissions angle? Mom has some connections at an art colony that runs summer programs, I can see if they have a writing program, and remember, Lawndale State has those joint programs with those other state universities. There must be others as well.”

Daria nodded. ‘Let us look into them.’

*

As the friends were moving through the school hallways the next morning, they were approached by Jodie. Before she could say anything, Daria started signing, with Jane translating and adding her two cents. “Jodie, you have that pseudo-smile going which says you want us to either volunteer for something or buy something. Which is it?”

Managing to avoid rolling her eyes, Jodie answered, “In case you missed it, the school is holding a fundraiser this Saturday. An alumnus up in Baltimore is launching overnight cruises; they will go out just far enough to let their casino operate. Anyway, as a dry run, and to get some publicity, we have the cruise/fundraiser – he’s running things for us at cost, and we leave in the afternoon and should get back just before midnight. We won’t be able to gamble for real money, but it could be fun.” Jodie suddenly looked a bit desperate. “We really need to sell a few more tickets, we’ve got everything covered – the costs: we pretty much got. Like I said, fuel, the buffet, and such are all supplied to us at cost and so that’s covered – but we won’t actually make much for us at the moment.”

‘The Sick-Sad-World twelve-hour overnight marathon is Friday,’ Daria pointed out to Jane.

“And we wouldn’t want to miss that,” Jane agreed.

“Please!” Jodie, and then Jane, looked at Daria.

Daria thought about it, then took out her whiteboard and wrote, ‘You said this would eventually have overnight as well as day trips.’ Erase ‘Do they have deck chairs?’

“I think so.” Jodie set down the armload of books and files she was carrying and pulled a brochure out of one of the folders. “According to this, yes.”

‘Ten dollars per ticket?’

Jodie nodded. Daria gave her a twenty, taking the two tickets.

“Why?” Jane asked after Jodie went in search of mor students she might convince.

‘You know Quinn will be going.”

“We’d both be shocked if she didn’t,” Jane agreed.

‘This will give Mom and Dad a free Saturday, where we will all be under alleged supervision. They should be happy to plan a at least a night out if not longer, be less likely to complain about our staying up to watch the marathon the night before, and even though I am sure the buffet will not be worth it, food is included.’

“And Jodie looked desperate.” Daria gave Jane a dirty look. “So, sounds like excuses to do something nice for your parents and Jodie,” Jane teased some more.

Daria looked annoyed for a moment, but then smirked and signed, ‘If you do not like where I take you, you can plan and pay for our dates from now on.’ Daria just moved on, leaving a startled Jane for a moment as she realized spending two nights together (albeit with the first on the Morgendorffers’ sofa) followed by a day trip to sea where dinner was included would be considered by most of their schoolmates as a nice weekend-long date.

Slowly, Jane grinned, really happy for the first time since that horrible Saturday. Other than Trent, she had had very little true affection of any kind in her life until Daria’s arrival, one reason she had been a little too willing to start a sexual relationship with Paul. Whatever happened with Daria, even if either of them might make errors, Jane knew Daria would never be cruel, let alone intentionally hurt her. Jane still wasn’t sure about her sexual identity (other than knowing very clearly that she was not in any way asexual), but that she adored being affectionate with Daria was beyond question.

The bell rang, and so Jane sprinted into the classroom.


After school, Daria and Troy went out for burgers. As they waited in line to order, Daria, who had been holding on to Troy’s arm as usual, dropped it and signed, ‘I am sorry I have not seen you that much lately.’

Since they were in public, Troy signed back, ‘All things considered, I understand.’ Other than a date for Valentine’s Day the week before, they had not had much time together since ‘the incident.’

‘You still have that tournament this weekend, right?’

‘I do.’ Seeing they were nearly at the front of their queue, he added, “Your usual?” Daria merely nodded.

After they sat down, Troy asked, “Why did you ask about the tournament?”

‘Jane and I are planning to watch the SSW marathon Friday night, and then snooze on that cruise Saturday afternoon and evening. Then I realized I should have double-checked with you before making those plans.’ Daria’s eyes fell. ‘I am sorry.’

“I understand.” Troy poked Daria’s hand to get her attention. When she looked up, he signed, ‘I understand, but I have to ask, are we okay?’

‘I think so,’ Daria admitted. ‘I know I can trust you…but we thought we could trust Paul, too.’

‘I know, I am very disappointed with him.’ Troy shook his head. ‘That it broke, well, things like that can happen. That he got that carried away?’ He shook his head again. ‘Still, we have been friends since we were infants. We have both done dumb things in the past, and we have gotten past them and forgiven the other. I do not expect you, or especially Jane, to be as forgiving.’

Daria had to admit, ‘That does make sense.’ She took Troy’s hand for a moment in both of hers and gave him an actual smile.

After they had started eating, Troy took a break and said, “I do have some news which may interest you.”

Daria gave him an encouraging look.

“I know you remember the book of my games I’m writing.” Daria nodded. “Well, on the one hand, the draft is finished. But on the other, while I like the content I wrote, the phrasing sucks.” Daria nodded again. One problem with knowing so many languages was that Troy’s grammar in his drafts sometimes could get very confusing.

“So, in exchange for official credit, would you be willing to edit it?”

Daria looked up. ‘Official credit?’

“I won’t promise the front cover, but the inner cover will have selected and written by me, edited by you, and of course the acknowledgements will have the same. You get to have it in the portfolio you’ll need to submit next year.”

Daria wiped her hands on some napkins after handing him some to do the same. Then Daria again took his hands and gave him an even more-genuine smile.

“I have something else to tell you,” he added, in a tone that made Daria frown a bit. “I’ve been accepted to both College Park and Baltimore County,” these were the two University of Maryland institutions Daria was currently hoping for, “but even though they’re offering me good deals, I’ve been offered a full ride at both George Washington and Georgetown.”

Daria’s eyebrows went up at that. Releasing his hands, she signed, ‘I know you are thinking about the Diplomatic Corps or some other government service after college if the pure academic route does not work out. Georgetown would be great for both, and College Park good for the second. GW is pretty good, too.’ She smiled very slightly. ‘Worse case scenarios, none of the three places are that far apart, or that far from here, worst case scenario.’

“True.” The pair smiled slightly, and both were happy they were fully back together.


The evening before the cruise, Helen held Quinn back from her usual preparing for a date, and called Jane and Daria over from the refrigerator, where they were placing snacks for their all-night marathon. “Alright girls, I know it’s barely late February, but I need to talk to you three about summer.”

While Jane was curious, Daria and Quinn were nervous. Except for their classes the previous summer, which Jane had suggested and Daria largely researched and sold to Helen, every summer since the sisters had been first sent to Camp Grizzly had involved activities which neither girl (especially Daria) liked.

“When you mentioned Ashfield a few weeks ago, I’ve been thinking about it….”

Daria broke in, a bit disappointed to have to tell her mother, ‘Ashfield no longer has a writing program.’

“Yes, I know, and I know that the Maryland system offers something you two might be interested in.” Helen sighed. “I mentioned all this to Amy last week, and she emailed me today. So, here are your options. Daria, there is the six-week writing camp through the Maryland system; that’s held in Annapolis this year. Jane, besides the summer at Ashfield, there is also the six-week Maryland art camp, held in Hagerstown this year.” Daria and Jane looked at each other; they had not realized that the two programs for high schoolers were separate.

“However, here is another option.” The two looked at Helen with some hope. “Amy has arranged for any or all three of you to be part of a workshop project for high school students. She arranged your acceptances through that theater person she knows. His theater and two others, and somethings called The New School and The Actors Studio. Daria, you’d be in the playwright project. Jane, yours would be theater and set design, Quinn, yours would be wardrobe design.” She looked at her two daughters. “Just so you know, if you don’t take something like this up – that is if you don’t like these, you have three weeks to find something else that’s equivalent – otherwise I will decide what you do this summer. As for New York, you need to let me know by Monday evening.”

Quinn was so intrigued by the idea that she cancelled her date for the night and sat in her sister’s room as Daria researched the workshop program. All three liked the idea of what turned out to be five weeks in New York City, from early July to early August. Daria liked the idea, although she would have to make certain that her impairment wouldn’t cause a problem – the information indicated authors would be expected to contribute to presenting their works. Jane was not overly interested in set design, but she did see it as one more medium to learn, and the web information claimed that there would be stage shows they would be seeing as well as some discounts for some museum visits as well as other sightseeing opportunities on their own time, and that, along with being with Daria, easily tipped the scales against Ashfield.

Those activities, plus knowing she likely would dislike anything else her mother came up with, tipped Quinn in favor of New York as well – she would likely be plying a needle a bit too much to fully enjoy it, but neither she nor Daria actually minded such activities.


Around three that morning, Helen woke up. After using the toilet, she decided to check on the marathon girls. She went down the stairs as quietly as she could. The lights were off, except for the one lamp that was on a dimmer switch, and it was on the lowest level. It and the TV were all the light available. The TV itself was not playing very loudly. The girls were dressed in loose t-shirts, loose shorts, and socks. Jane was squished into the far side of the sofa, her feet up on the coffee table. Her right arm was around Daria’s shoulders. Daria herself was curled up on the sofa, her glasses off and her head in Jane’s lap. Even more shocking to Helen was the very sweet smile on Daria’s lips. Helen went back upstairs and came down with two blankets, covering her daughter and Jane’s legs and leaving the TV lulling the pair with a story about porpoises molesting surfers.


The two were awake and back watching the TV show when Helen came down the next morning just after 7:00. The two were still sitting close, but not snuggling. Daria waved to her mother and then nudged Jane.

“Morning Missus M!” Jane greeted. “I made coffee.”

Helen noticed that both teens had mugs as well as empty cereal bowls. “Thank you both.”

Daria looked up. ‘Thank you for the blanket.’ Jane echoed that quickly.

Helen looked at the pair and smiled. “You’re very welcome, Sweeties.” She hesitated, decided that no further comment was needed, but that coffee certainly was.


Daria and especially Jane were not all that alert when they boarded what had until the year before been a very large fishing trawler. Refurbished, at least in the public areas that were open (the cabins that would be available when overnight trips started were locked up, many still needing finishing), the ship presented a certain faux gaudiness. However, since few of the students had been on actual cruise ships, it was deemed to be close enough.

The students were given fifty dollars’ worth of one-dollar chips, although the casino wouldn’t open until that evening when they were in international waters, even though actual money could not be exchanged. Even then the slots would remain off. Therefore, the students and chaperones had the afternoon to mill about and enjoy the passing scenery as they sailed the Chesapeake and then out to sea on a very sunny and somewhat unseasonably warm afternoon. Daria and Jane dragged recliners into a shady area, and Jane followed by Daria were quickly dozing.

As time passed, some of the students followed the pair’s example and soon enough all the deck chairs and recliners were occupied. The free buffet would not open until 5:30, and the casino would open about an hour later. The only thing for the remaining passengers to really do was to watch the passing scenery (and then the open ocean) or visit the snack bar or small gift shop, neither of which was free.

Knowing her sister and even more so Jane, Quinn woke them about fifteen minutes before the buffet opened. To Daria’s surprise, the food was not too bad, and there was plenty of variety and quantity. She guessed that the kitchen crew were practicing for actual cruises by producing what they would have to prepare, and maybe experimenting a bit with some of the dishes.

Jane had no interest in gambling, and so when the casino opened, she blew all her chips on one turn of the roulette wheel. She spent the next two hours watching Daria play blackjack. Daria won more than she lost, and had just doubled her stake. She quit at that point, and after she visited the restroom, she had wandered around observing. While winnings could be (partially) exchanged for Lawndale Lions merchandise (well, .10 on the dollar) when back at school, Daria had no interest in doing so. In the end, she gave some of her chips to Quinn (who was actually $10 ahead at that point) and gave the rest to Jane, who quickly lost most of it shooting craps. Daria rolled her eyes, took over the dice, and by the end of the time the casino closed, was three chips ahead. A final roll of the roulette wheel took care of their chips.

It was a clear night as the ship chugged back towards the harbor, so most of the students were at least somewhat content to be star gazing until the city lights started to obscure the night sky.

Which is when the ship and a garbage scow managed to run into each other.
Sign up to rate and review this story