Categories > Cartoons > Class of the Titans > Dreams in Darkness

Act I

by Demenior 8 reviews

Welcome to NOHSTY, and meet at least a few of the many talented students here. Now everyone, welcome our new DJ...

Category: Class of the Titans - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama, Humor, Romance - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2006-12-22 - Updated: 2006-12-23 - 2149 words

1Ambiance
Dreams in Darkness

Disclaimer: See chapter 1

Pairings: See Chapter 1

Author's Note: Thanks for the awesome feedback on the first chapter guys. Looks like my big ideas aren't as confusing as I thought they were going to be, and as promised, here's the update.

Dreams in Darkness

Chapter Two:

Act I



The New Olympia High School for Talented Youth was world-renowned for it's specialization in the three 'A's.

Academics, Art's, and Athletics'. It was a boarding school, with a waiting list big enough to smother the earth. The teacher's there were the best you could find anywhere, and the students were about as normal as anyone else. What was surprising about the school was its lack of social standards. Mostly everyone was on good terms with one another, and after a year of going to school together, working together, cheering each other on and such, there was something like a bubble created around the building where no one was out to look cool or better. Academic's hung out with Art's or Athlete's whenever and vice versa.

One such couple was the pair at the track this sunny, warm morning. It was before school hours still; considering their school started later than most and ended later because of all the after school/night events and activities the students were active in.

This pair, though not uncommon, was definitely one of a kind. The girl had vivid red hair, and while running, was a streak of red, tan skin, and a jogging outfit consisting of a blue shirt and grey pants. She sped across the finish line, continuing her laps, while the boy sitting to the side of the finish line clicked a stopwatch and quickly scribbled in the numbers in his notebook while he frantically wrote away at something else holding his complete concentration.

He had bright purple hair and normally wore blue shorts and matching hoodie. On his feet were sandals and his right shin/heel was covered by a golden brace that supported his heel which was unnaturally weak.

"Done!" Atlanta flew across the finish line, and then threw herself down beside Archie.

He scribbled in a few more numbers, nodding a good job to her, but continued writing.

"Can't believe you left your big writing assignment to today!" Atlanta sighed, propping herself up on her elbows, "how'd I do anyways?"

She peered across him to the number scribbled in the margin, but they really made no sense to her at all.

"Your first lap was nice, then you decided to trot the second, and after than you slowed down more before you stumbled across the finish line," Archie replied without looking up. While he said she was slowing down, no one else probably would have known because she'd kept at near-blur speed the whole time. Only because he knew her so well, and because he was exaggerating a little, did Archie know that she had really slowed down. Atlanta sighed and leaned her head on his shoulder.

"So... how's it going Shakespeare?" she mumbled.

"You smell terrible," Archie shrugged her off with a playful smile.

She gave him a friendly punch in the arm before getting up and going to her bag for her water bottle.

The fields behind the school were huge, almost a park in their own right. Mostly there were numerous tracks of different sizes, but also enough room for other students to be able to come out and enjoy the outdoors. Mainly the Art's students, like Archie, would come out and sit in the grove of trees, dubbed 'The Forest' or in the gentle hills than happened to be on the property.

Atlanta was leaning against the bleachers, waiting for Archie, when he finally jumped up with a cheer.

"Finished!" he declared proudly, sticking his notebook back into his hoodie pocket and once again tucked the pencil behind his ear. He hardly went anywhere without it, and Atlanta secretly wondered if his ear had been shaped to fit the pencil.

"Finally," Atlanta rolled her eyes, "now I need to go have a shower and change clothes before school. Can you give me a ride?"

Archie nodded, "Sure, we've got time."

The two of them took a light job back to Archie's blue Oldsmobile, smiling and waving briefly as a friendly weightlifter/wrestler and his gothic-vampire girlfriend gave them a greeting.

Atlanta's apartment was in a different complex than Archie's, even so it was his second home. About half the things in Atlanta's home were probably his, and half of the things at his own apartment were most likely hers.

Atlanta's special seat, practically hers, was the passenger's seat. It was where she always sat, no matter what. As Archie got in he felt a twinge of pain in his heel and grimaced slightly. Atlanta noticed this.

"You okay? Should I drive now-"

"I'm fine!" Archie snapped and got into the car. He hated it when people pitied him because of his 'disability', Atlanta especially. She sighed and sank into her seat, staring ahead. The only reason Atlanta didn't drive was because she didn't have a car. Both sixteen, the two of them had taken their drivers exams together and were now driving free only a few months later.

After a few minutes the tension had worn off and Atlanta turned on the radio, laughing at how outdated and old Archie's car was, and then they two of them eventually ended up singing, completely off-key, together.

By the time they pulled into the parking lot for the building Atlanta's apartment was in; they were both laughing and teasing each other again. Atlanta raced Archie to her room, and won again, but only because his heel was bugging him. She called him a big-fat-fibber, gave him a light shove, and then pulled the spare key out from the flowerpot she had outside and unlocked the door. Archie made himself comfortable in her kitchen (and very easily became acquainted with the cupboards and refrigerator) while Atlanta grabbed some spare clothes from her room and went to have a shower.

Nearly half an hour later, Atlanta came out with a towel around her shoulders and was dressed in her favorite green-blue shirt with green-brown pants and high socks. Archie rolled his eyes.

"Don't you ever have anything else to wear?"

"What about you same-hoodie-for-two-years?" she teased back.

Archie looked down at his shirt, "This is brand new, from this year! It only happens to look like my old one by mere coincidence."

Atlanta laughed and sat down at the table with him. She took a slice of his leftover pizza and started eating it heartedly while she dried her hair with the other hand. Archie watched her for only a moment before commenting,

"You're terrible at drying your hair."

Atlanta stopped to look at him, placing her pizza on the table, "Oh, and I suppose you're suddenly the expert? Weirdo."

"No, seriously, the way you go at it you'll be half-bald in a matter of months and frizzy beyond belief," he retorted.

She raised an eyebrow and chuckled, "Archie, yet again you've just given me reason to believe you don't quite swing in the same direction as most teenage bo-"

Archie didn't give her a chance to finish, and he reached forwards and rubbed the towel in her face so hard it nearly tipped her over backwards. Atlanta burst out laughing and swatted at his hands before he finally pulled away. She ripped the towel off her head, bundled it up, and threw it at him.

"You jerk!" she laughed.

Archie leaned back in his chair, satisfied, "Well I'd say I just won that round."

"In your dreams," Atlanta leaned back as well, glaring at him.

"Well, we'd better be off," Archie stood up, clapping his hands on his knees as he did so, "don't want to be late, eh?"

"I need to go gel my hair," Atlanta replied, getting up to go to the bathroom.

"I suggest you hurry, because if you're not out there when I'm ready to go, you'll have to run all the way," Archie winked as he grabbed her pizza off the table and ran out the door. Open mouthed, Atlanta stood still for a moment, staring at the door, before kicking the table.

"Stupid Archie!" she screamed before grabbing her gel and racing out the door after him.

((((((00oo00))))))

They arrived with plenty of time remaining. People now crowded the halls, chatting excitedly and grabbing books from their lockers before running off to join friends or get an early start on a class.

Archie and Atlanta pushed their way through the crowds, going to Archie's locker first. He grabbed a binder that had numerous loose papers sticking out of it, as well as random doodles he and Atlanta had done in the few classes they had together.

They made their way over to Atlanta's locker, having brief conversations and comments with others as they passed. Atlanta was pulled some binders and textbooks from her locker, they were almost as messy as Archie's, and was shutting her locker when a very popular gymnast stepped up beside her.

Theresa Anne Starling was one of the most well-loved girls in the school. Everyone seemed to know her name and she seemed to know everyone. She'd been Atlanta's school-buddy last year, and had shown Atlanta around the school and kept her form getting utterly confused and lost. Since then, the two of them had remained close, but not close enough to be called real friends, more like acquaintances.

"Atlanta," Theresa grinned, "have you met the new kid? He's an amazing musician!"

Atlanta shook her head, "Isn't it a little late to be transferring here? I mean, it's the middle of the school year."

Theresa laughed, "Who cares? He's got good talent, speaks well, flirts well, and is definite eye candy. If I wasn't crushing on Heartmen, I might go for him."

Jayson Leroy Heartmen, preferably called Jay, was a great comic artist who was Theresa's best friend for a long time now. Theresa really liked him, and he really liked her, yet the two of them were hardly going out. More just having their cute moments every so often.

Atlanta rolled her eyes, "Oh boy, if he's pulled you away from Jay, then he must be half-decent."

"Or maybe just always pruny from being in the water too long," Archie cut in. Atlanta burst out laughing, because it was very true about Jay.

Jay probably lived in the water more than he did on land. He'd grown up on a houseboat, knew how to work almost any type of boat, built rafts with ease, and was the fastest swimmer you'd ever see. He was captain of the school's swim team and his main comic he was designing had mostly to do with water and watercraft and water species. His nickname was sometime's 'Aqualad' but after a year of being taunted and good-humouredly teased, it seemed to have died down.

Theresa sent Archie a mild glare, the two of them hardly knew each other and only did so through Atlanta. Truth was, while Theresa was famous around the school, Archie was infamous. They were complete opposites and could hardly stand each other. Neither of them knew what Atlanta saw in the other.

"Anyways, I just wanted to give you a heads up," Theresa smiled at Atlanta before going back into the crowd.

Atlanta rolled her eyes as she turned to face Archie, "She thinks I need help with my love life. But we might as well meet this guy."

Archie followed after her, "My guess is that he's actually a new fish in the aquarium in her homeroom."

Atlanta bit back a giggle as she turned down another crowded hall. While she pushed her way through, she heard someone shout her name and almost immediately her hand was grabbed from behind. Wondering why Archie was being all weird this morning, she turned to face him but instead looked in a pair of dark, ebony eyes. Her eyes widened in disbelief- this was the new student!

"Atlanta," he said again, smiling.

"Pan?"

End of Act I

Dun dun dun. So now Pan is in NOHSTY? We finally meet Theresa, get introduced to Jay, and if you were paying close attention you'll see that we've now seen Herry and Talia. Cool, eh?

So yeah... Jay's a comic artist. And captain of the swim team. Go figure.

Anyways, I'll try and get some more up soon. And on an important note, because I think some people would like to hear this, I can't promise when I'll be posting it, but I have begun work on the first chapter of 'Demons Within Me II' which is currently throwing a tantrum about being named, so I can't give you any name yet.

Merry Christmas, guys! Can you believe it's almost here?

Demenior
Sign up to rate and review this story