Categories > Cartoons > Class of the Titans > Fate

Goodbye

by story_master 5 reviews

After finally defeating Cronus the heroes go their separate ways, leaving their true feelings untold. But on New Year's Eve 5 years in the future Cronus escapes again. With the heroes scattered acr...

Category: Class of the Titans - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Published: 2007-02-04 - Updated: 2007-02-04 - 3074 words

1Moving
Tory: Okay well here's chapter 2. I hope that you all enjoyed chapter 1. Thanks for all the reviews. You rock! Not much else to say here. So, enjoy!

Disclaimer: Like I've said many times before, don't own it. I just own my stories and any OC's I happen to make up.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Goodbye

The nights and days had worn on and time had passed. The world moved on without the seven teenage heroes. The sun rose in the great blue sky, sending bright light to pan across the room known as Chiron's Study.

The seven cots, each under a great hero or heroine, were set in two rows. Three in one row and four in the other. Jay, Archie, Atlanta and Theresa were laid in one row while Herry, Odie and Neil were in the other.

Their previously clean and neat bandages were once again stained with blood. The room was filled with the unheard cries of agony and pain the heroes had felt. But, that was all gone now.

The distant sound of hooves clicking and the pitter patter of feet approached the Study. The two great doors swung open and eight gods walked in. Each of the gods or goddesses walk to their respective hero or heroine that they were to mentor; Hera to Jay, Ares to Archie, Artemis to Atlanta, Persephone to Theresa, Hercules to Herry, Hermes to Odie and Aphrodite to Neil. Each god or goddess paid their respects to the heroes and then left again, leaving Chiron to tend to the wounds once more.

Once the new bandages were in place and the old ones disposed of, Chiron left to Hera's solarium. There was to be a meeting of the gods where the fate of the heroes would be decided. Hera needed to know whether to send them home, keep them there, tell the heroes' parents and so on.

The room was once again motionless, soundless. The sun now higher in the sky and shadows had stretched across the bodies as well. The pale skin of each hero lit up by the sunlight then darkened by the shadows. The day wore on, but it was just another day. With Cronus locked away forever the world no longer needed these unknown heroes. And for that they were grateful.

There would be no more fights, no more battles, no more scars, just... no more. Now was the time for rest, peace, quiet. Nothing more. Though, sad as it was, the gods and goddesses couldn't just stop. They had to be strong, they had to move on. Just like the heroes themselves.

The motionless and lifeless room sat still for hours on end. The only movement being a god or goddess paying their respects, or Chiron tending to the wounds. For days it had been that way. But the heroes couldn't just lay there forever. Something had to be done.

The night wore on as well, but like the day it was just time... just a night. The moon rose and fell in the sky as it had everyday before and as it shall everyday to come. Dawn came, but it was just another sunrise, wasn't it? Maybe for every other person in the world but not for the heroes or for the gods.

That sunrise was special. It was the last sunrise for the heroes in the secret hideout of the gods and goddesses of Mount Olympus. It was the last sunrise that the heroes would share together. It marked the beginning of their parting, the end of their journey as heroes. Though they would always be remembered by the gods, goddesses, each other and surely Cronus, the world not miss them. They would not be missed for they were never known.

The sun sat low in the sky as early morning came. The day not ready to come, the gods and goddesses not ready to let go. There was still so much that they wanted to do, to teach, but now there was no time for that. Now was time for goodbyes.

Chiron was always the first in the room, to tend to the heroes and replace their bandages. But not on that morning. That morning he was late. Like I said before that morning was different.

The still room was still no longer. Slowly and one by one the heroes twitched and moved. Their heavy eyes opening and then shutting to block out the bright light of morning. Slowly the heroes sat, and then stood, testing the strength of their battered bodies.

The silent room was silent no longer. The unheard groans of pain and agony, now voiced, filled the room. The sighs and yawns dispersed in the air. Then the sound of chit chat filled the once sad, once still, once silent room.

" Five more minutes." Archie's muffled and sleepy comment echoed out first, his voice hoarse and cracking.

Small giggles escaped the others as Archie too joined them by sitting up.

" We did it guys. We beat him." Jay said cheerfully, smiling at each of his friends, his team mates.

" Yeah! I knew we could do it! I knew we could win!" Atlanta's peppy words lifted the spirits of the others.

Everyone was up and talking, everyone but Theresa. She lay there, on her side, not facing the others. At first they thought the worst, but she was still breathing. Jay painfully pulled himself off the cot and limped just as painfully over to her. She heard his footsteps and heard him stop at her feet, but she pain him no notice.

He saw her eyes half open and sat at the end of her cot, moving her feet just slightly so he wouldn't fall off. Still, she paid him no notice. She just lay there, staring out the window, at the sunrise, at the world. Jay noticed her sad expression and tried to cheer her up.

" Hey Theresa. Come on. We should celebrate. We beat Cronus, we've finally beaten him. What's wrong?" he said in a low soothing voice.

A sigh escaped the fighter as a few crystal tears slid down her cheeks. Jay was worried now. Normally Theresa would have been ecstatic but now, now she just looked miserable.

" Theresa? What is it?" Jay asked again, his voice filling with the oh-so-familiar worry they had grown to know.

Theresa sat up, with the help of Jay, and tried to ignore her pain. But, she couldn't, it was just too much. The physical pain was already pushed from her mind but the emotional pain stuck. She looked to Jay with teary eyes and sighed again. She was going to miss this.

" What is it?" he asked, his voice barely above a whisper.

" It's nothing, Jay. Really." she said finally, forcing a shaky smile.

Jay looked into her eyes and melted. How he loved those emerald eyes that sparkled so, how he longed to tell her how he felt. He took a deep breath and looked into those eyes her adored so. Cronus was gone and there were no more threats to stop him from telling her.

" Theresa, I-" but he was cut off.

Behind them the great doors of the Study opened up and in walked Chiron to tend to them. He hadn't heard them talking so when he saw them up and some about he dropped the bandages to the floor.

" Hera! Come quick!" he shouted, his face lit up with joy.

The rushed sound of feet echoed through the now silent place. Hera's voice floated from the hallway into the room.

" Chiron, what is it? What's wro-" but the queen of the gods stopped there.

She turned to look at the heroes, expecting to see them still on their cots, in their rows, lying motionless. But when she saw them up and moving around her heart leapt with joy. Tears formed in the corners of her eyes as she was left speechless. She looked from one hero to the next and they returned the smile she wore.

" Hermes!" she called, after a moment of silence.

" Yes Hera. What is it?" the messenger god asked as he rushed down the hall.

Hera turned to him with a fond smile on her face. " Tell everyone the wonderful news. The heroes are awake."

Hermes looked into the room and saw all eyes on him. " That's magnificent!" he declared and sped off down the hall to spread the news.

After the news had been spread to everyone and the heroes had been tended to, Hera held a meeting in her office. The heroes sat on the two couches and watched her with anticipation. She sighed loudly before turning to them, her eyes still sparkling with joy but her face was serious.

" Children. You have done well in defeating Cronus. Your ancestors will be pleased to hear how far you've come since you first arrived. But now you are faced with one last problem. A problem that will require great thought, and that no one can answer but you." Hera stopped for a moment and held back tears.

" What is it Mrs. Hera?" Jay asked.

" You must decide what you do now. Where you will go and what your new destiny will be." she replied.

" But I thought our destiny was to fight Cronus." Herry said.

" It was but now that you've defeated him you are free to live your lives as you please. With no more fear and following your own path." she said.

This news hit the seven heroes like a truck. They knew that this day would come. The day where they went their separate ways, leaving the others behind and moving on with their lives. But, they didn't think that it would come so soon.

" You should head back to the dormitory. You have much to think about." Hera said.

The heroes each stood and said their goodbyes then left the room. They took Herry's truck back to the brownstone. It was a quiet ride. No one wanted to disturb the peace. They just wanted to enjoy each others company one last time.

Each hero got out of the truck they had grown to know as their transportation, they all looked back at it one last time before entering the brownstone. Oh, how they had grown to love that place as their home. Not their home away from home, but their home. Each hero went to their room and sat on their bed, their minds mulling over the various thoughts they had to sort through.

Jay had part of his mind already made up. Sure he loved his family and all but he wanted to stay in New Olympia with his friends, his family. He assumed that everyone else felt the same but they didn't.

Archie laid back on his bed. He would miss all of his friends dearly but he didn't want to stay. He had a life back in his home town that he could finally get back to. So he got up, grabbed a bag from his closet and began to pack his things. He didn't need to think about it anymore

Atlanta paced her room. She loved the others like family but she knew she couldn't stay. She had to get back to her real home and help out her real family. So she pulled a suitcase out from under her bed and began to pack everything. Her mind was made up, it was for the best.

Theresa wanted to stay but she didn't think that the others would. Besides she had friends in her hometown that she missed, and this way she would be able to spend time with her father. She began to pull things out of her closet and then found a suitcase to pack it all in.

Herry didn't have to think at all. He was going to go live with his Granny and help her out. He wouldn't be that far from there so it wasn't that big a deal. He also found a suitcase and packed his things.

Odie, sure he loved his friends, they were the best he ever had. But he needed to go home. He missed his family and his other friends. He would miss them so much but he had to continue he old live where he had left it. So like the others he began to pack.

Neil, well Neil didn't have to think about it at all. Sure he would miss his friends but he wanted to move to New York and become a full time model. Now there was nothing to stop him. So he got out many suitcases and began to pack all his stuff.

The heroes stayed in there rooms until dinner time. Then, they went down to the living room and sat there, solemn faces, waiting for Jay. He came down with a smile on but it dropped when he saw their expressions. The others had told each other that they were leaving but they still had to tell Jay.

" Hey guys, what's up?" he asked as he stood at the bottom of the stairs.

The others all looked at their wounds and averted their eyes. No one needed to say it. He knew.

" You're all leaving, aren't you?" he asked, dreading the answer he knew was to come.

" We're sorry Jay. But we have lives to get back to. We'll miss each other and stay in touch." Atlanta said.

" Some of us are leaving in a few hours and the rest of us are leaving first thing tomorrow." Theresa added, her eyes tearing up.

" Aren't you going back home Jay?" Archie asked.

" No. I'm going to stay here." Jay replied.

A chorus of soft 'oh's filled the room. Jay tried to lift the mood.

" Well, if this is our last night as a team then we should celebrate." Jay said hopefully.

Everyone agreed. And so they had a little party to celebrate their victory, their bond, their friendship. Around eleven or so cabs came to the front of the house and honked. It was time to say goodbye, not that any of them were ready.

" We'll miss you." Theresa said as she hugged Odie tight, he hugged her back.

" Write everyday." Atlanta said as she hugged Theresa.

" And call. Don't forget to call." Odie added.

Everyone hugged Atlanta, Odie and Neil. After about twenty minutes of goodbyes the three were really gone. Theresa, Archie, Jay and Herry, stood on the front steps for a long while before heading inside, hoping that the others would change their minds and come back. But they didn't.

" I'm going to bed. Early flight tomorrow." Archie said as he headed upstairs.

" I think I'll turn in too. Goodnight." Theresa said as she also headed upstairs.

" Yeah, it's getting pretty late. G'night Jay." Herry said, also heading upstairs.

Jay said goodnight to them all and stayed up for a little while longer. Then, fatigue getting the best of him, he dragged himself upstairs. He listened to the sound of cars passing by as he struggled to fall asleep. 'I was so close to telling her. I have to let her know how I feel.' Jay thought as he sat up.

He tip-toed out of his room and down the hall to Theresa's. He knocked lightly on the door and waited for a reply. When he didn't get one he figured she was sleeping. So he opened the door a little and found the room empty. All that remain was the bed, the desk and a note.

Jay went over and picked up the note. It was definitely from Theresa, he'd recognize her handwriting anywhere. Slowly he read the note:

Jay,
I'm sorry that I had to leave this way, without saying a proper goodbye. It's just less painful this way. I couldn't bear to say goodbye to you guys. You're my best friends after all, like family. But, I couldn't bring myself to do it in person. So, goodbye. I know that you'll be the one to find this Jay. So please tell Herry and Archie that I say goodbye. I'll miss you all.
Love, Theresa
xoxox


Jay fought back tears as he read the note. He couldn't believe that she left and he didn't get to tell her. He went back to his room and had an even harder time falling asleep. But soon enough he feel into the land of dreams.

The next morning came quick. The three had breakfast at six thirty then it was time for Archie to go. They said there goodbyes and Archie gave Jay a sympathetic pat on the back because he knew how much he cared about Theresa. Then he was off in a cab and gone.

Around lunch Herry headed out. He loaded his stuff into his truck and said goodbye. Then he drove away and disappeared over the horizon, just like all the others.

Jay stood out on the step for a few more moments then went inside. He leaned against the doorframe and sighed. He couldn't believe it was all over. They were all gone, every last one of them. It was almost as if they had never met, but the memories Jay had would scar him. He was left alone in their home. The only one to stay.

Each of the heroes had stopped by the school to thank and say goodbye to the gods and goddesses. Everyone but Jay. He walked through the halls of the brownstone and stopped in every doorway, the memories of his friends flooded his mind. All the laughter, all the good times and the bad. Everything just hit him like truck.

At sunset he made it to the school to tell the gods and goddesses that he was staying. Sad as he was, he couldn't stop living his life. Yes it was the end. The end of Cronus, the end their team, the end of the little family they had become. Who knew that the end would be so hard? Who knew that goodbyes could be so painful? Jay knew now.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

A/N: Well, there's number two for you. Wow, that was long and sad. I cried a little when I was writing the end. It's just so sad. I hope you all liked it. Don't forget to send a review my way letting me know what you think. Constructive critism is always welcome:D. I'll try to update soon. Cheers;D
Sign up to rate and review this story