Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Slayer, The Avatar And The Guardian Of Light

CH40 - Dumbledore Comes To Beauxbatons

by GuardianOfLight 3 reviews

Harry runs into a problem

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Crossover, Drama, Fantasy, Romance - Characters: Dumbledore, Harry, Other - Warnings: [!] [?] - Published: 2007-02-10 - Updated: 2007-02-10 - 1668 words

5Funny
Chapter 40 - Dumbledore Comes To Beauxbatons

Dimension: 563 - Earth
Date: 15th August 2001 AD
Country: France - Pic Du Thaume
Location: Beauxbatons Academy Of Magic - DAA Classroom
Time: Morning


"Well done everyone." Smiled Harry as the bell announcing the end of class sounded "I want seven inches on different methods of avoiding the effects of spells."

As his seventh years filed out he moved over to the centre platform and retrieved his cloak before heading down to lunch.

He had had a tiring lesson; the seventh years were no pushovers, if it hadn't been for the extra training he was receiving he would have been in the Infirmary several times in the course of one lesson.

As he reached the ground floor and turned towards the Great Hall, when a very familiar voice called out.

"Greetings."

The voice filled him with dread.

How had he found out where he was and how could he see through his disguise. He slowly turned, running his fingers over his robe holster to loosen his wand encase he needed to defend himself.

"My name is Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster of Hogwarts; I don't think we have been introduced?"

Harry sighed inwardly; the old man didn't know who he was.

"Daniel Radcliffe," he said extending his hand, which the old mage took "DAA and Flying Instructor, can I help you?"

"Indeed, I am looking for the Office of Madame Maxine." He smiled.

"Follow me." Harry smiled turning back towards the stairs, wondering if the Headmaster could survive the long ascent.

"How long have you been working here?" Dumbledore asked, Harry was pretty sure he was just making conversation and did not in fact recognise him, but with this old man you never knew for certain.

"Less than a month, I came to France to see my girlfriend and Madame Maxine happened to hear about my skills with a wand and broom. With the assistance of my girlfriend and her family they managed to press gang me into this job."

A smile spread across the old mages face.

"Sensible woman, if I may ask how old are you?"

"Seventeen as of May, why?" he replied, watching as a set of fifth years passed them, surprise evident on their faces at the sight of the most powerful wizard in the world walking through their school.

"You just seem rather young to be teaching; shouldn't you be taking your Newts?"

"I get private tutelage; I have lived in America for several years though I was born English, both my parents died several years ago so I decided to stay where I was until I met my girlfriend when she visiting with her family."

"I see." Nodded Dumbledore "How long do you plan on teaching here?"

"Only until the end of the summer, then I plan to go back to America, hopefully by then Olympe will have found someone else, here we are." He finished arriving at Madam Maxine's Office.

He knocked quickly and waited for the Headmistress to answer, thinking it better that he explain as fast as he could that Dumbledore did not know who he was he moved directly into the line of sight for anyone looking out of the door.

It opened to reveal the tall form of Madam Maxine.

"Daniel." She smiled before noticing Dumbledore.

"Albus!" she exclaimed.

"Olympe." He returned smiling "Professor Radcliffe here was kind enough to show me the way to your office."

"I see." She nodded, understanding the situation, "Come in."

"If you do not mind I will return to the Great Hall, the seventh years have left me with quiet an appetite." Harry added giving Olympe a short head bow.

"Of course Daniel, can you come back after you have eaten; there is something we need to discuss." She smiled.

"Of course Olympe." He said returning her smile before turning and walking back down the stairs.

Several times during the course of lunch he was asked by students if it really had been Professor Dumbledore they had seen talking to him.

After quickly finishing his lunch he hurried back to Olympe's Office, not wanting to leave her alone with Dumbledore for to long. She was strong but Dumbledore was very good at extracting information, he just hoped he didn't suspect anything.

As he rounded the last corner he came face to face with the elderly male wizard.

"Professor Dumbledore." He greeted.

"Professor Radcliffe." He returned "I have a proposition to put to you."

"Yes." Harry replied cautiously.

"Madam Maxine was most complimentary about your teaching, I will be appointing several new Professors at Hogwarts this year and I was wondering if you would agree to come and teach duelling at Hogwarts?"

Harry took a step back, he had not expected what he had heard and had no idea how to react, he quickly tried to stall for time.

"Can I, do you mind if I get back to you, it's not something I want to decide in a corridor." He replied, hoping Dumbledore would accept that response.

"Of course." the Headmaster smiled "I will send you an official letter within the hour, owl me with your response, then we can discuss the details of the job, farewell."

With that the Headmaster turned and walked down the stairs and out of Beauxbatons.

Harry stood there for several seconds, stunned by what had just happened.

After several seconds he walked towards Olympe's Office. Finding the door ajar he cautiously knocked and walked in.

Olympe's Office was very similar to Harry's except the desk and chair behind it were larger and there were no stairs to her rooms, just a door.

The Headmistress was standing on the other side of the room next to a drinks trolley, downing a very large glassful.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

She looked at him sharply, before taking a breath and sighing.

"I'm fine, it's just....that man can be so...." She almost growled.

"Aggravating, manipulative, interfering, uncooperative, annoying?" Harry offered smiling.

"All of the above." She returned, pouring both him and herself more reasonably sized drinks and handing one to him before taking a seat in one of the armchairs by the fire and gesturing him towards the other.

"What did he say?" he asked.

"He was asking about you, asking if I had followed up every possible lead etc, trying to make other people do all the leg work." She grumbled.

"How did he know where the school was? I thought all the Wizarding schools were hidden from each other?"

"Albus doesn't know where Beauxbatons is, just as I don't know where Hogwarts is, all the schools are protected by wards, you have to be invited to be allowed admittance and to know where it is physically located, but each of the Heads of the three major European schools are keyed into the other schools wards so that we can Floo or portkey in at will, but its like appearing in a sealed room, you know how to get to the room, but you do not know whether the room is one hundred meters below ground level or falling through the sky, when we went to Hogwarts for the Tournament we could not see where we were flying because the ground was obscured." she explained, before turning to Harry "Why did you look so shocked when you came in?"

"Professor Dumbledore just offered me a job."

"He what!" she exclaimed, making Harry jump, almost spilling his drink.

"He wants me to teach duelling at Hogwarts." He repeated, turning to look at Olympe's shocked expression.

He was surprised moments later when the shock left her face, leaving a smile in its place before it turned into a full blown laugh, which coming from a half giant was very loud and more than a little scary.

"What's funny?" he asked.

"I'm sorry Arry," she gasped sucking in air and trying to stop herself laughing anymore "I just find it amusing that not only does Dumbledore not recognise you when you are standing right in front of him, but he invites you teach yourself duelling. He probably wants a Duelling Master to help teach Harry Potter how to defend against Voldemort."

Seeing the logic, a smile spread across Harry's face wondering how Dumbledore would react when he found out.

"Will you accept?" she asked, finally having taken control of her laughing.

"It would be a bit awkward wouldn't it, teaching while still being a student, how would I disguise who I really am when I'm not attending my own classes?" replied Harry getting more than a little confused at all the pronouns being used.

"That's easy, you make sure you have your name down on a contract and then you reveal who you are whether publicly or privately because by that point there is nothing he can do about it, especially if you do some research into the Hogwarts rules so that he can not use your ignorance of them against you."

"What do you mean?" Harry asked cautiously.

"Well for example, did you know that the Headmistress of Beauxbatons can not fire a member of staff unless they have been proven incompetent at teaching, that they have done something to cause disruption to the school or the people in it, that they have done something against the law or they have become dangerous to the population of the school....I imagine Hogwarts has similar rules and being a Professor would give you authority to influence events in the school."

The grin that spread across Harry's face was positively evil.

"Arry, if I ever get on your bad side please tell me."

He turned to her confused.

"I would rather know that I am on your bad side than be on the receiving end of the revenge of someone who can grin like that."

He laughed taking a casually drink from the glass and watched as Olympe grinned again when the fire whisky began to burn his throat.

"Oh Arry, (laugh) you really are not good at drinking are you."
Sign up to rate and review this story