Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > The Mistake

Chapter Sixteen: Revelations in a Turning Point

by GwenMerlon 24 reviews

Oh, just read to find out...

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Horror, Humor, Romance - Published: 2007-03-30 - Updated: 2007-03-30 - 4722 words

5Exciting
Ava's breath came in short pants, her face pressed against the slightly padded fabric of the car's roof, which had crushed inward from flipping over and sliding against the pavement. Pieces of metal and glass were everywhere and the distinct aroma of gasoline filled the air, making it almost unbearable to breathe. Her body ached all over from being jerked in so many directions so quickly and her head pounded as a direct result of ending in a semi-upside down manner and staying there for an extended period of time.

With shaky hands, Ava felt around her left side for the seat belt release, pushing the metal button as hard as she could without any success. She tugged and pulled at the thick fabric but it didn't budge. She was stuck.

"P-Patrick?" She called hesitantly, not being able to see him because the roof had caved in so drastically. "Patrick?"

Her questioning only resulted in his absolute silence, but before she could begin to panic, a calm voice summoned her attention. "Ma'am, can you hear me?"

Ava twisted her body toward the voice and was met with a middle aged man peaking in through the shattered window. "Is Patrick okay?" She asked immediately.

He ignored her completely and continued on bombarding her with unnecessary questions. "Are you feeling any pain?" He asked as she shook her head 'no'. "Can you move your fingers?" Again she answered with the same response. "Toes?"

"Patrick isn't saying anything." Ava's voice was clipped with a mixture of fear and frustration. If a person wasn't responding, then clearly they are the one most in need of assistance. "Maybe you should go check on him."

"He has already been extracted from the vehicle, ma'am."

Ava's eyes widened. "Really? Is he okay?" She asked while the man took a small flashlight from his left breast pocket, twisting it on and blinding her momentarily with its light.

"I don't have any details at this point. He was taken directly to the hospital." He responded diplomatically, drawing a pair of long scissors from somewhere outside the vehicle.

"What?" Panic slowly consumed her as his answer seeped in. "That's bad, isn't it? That he was taken to the hospital so fast?"

"Ma'am, I really need you to calm down so I can get you out of here." He said sternly, using the sheers to cut away at her seatbelt.

Ava didn't respond, using her hands to support her weight so that all her blood wasn't continually rushing to her head. Patrick just had to be ok... he most certainly couldn't be /dead/. They didn't take dead people to the hospital... she had seen somewhere on TV or something that in big car accidents like this, they just stretched the bodies out on the pavement and covered them with a sheet. It was a horrible thought but a relief just the same that Patrick had at least been taken somewhere where he could get help.

God, that truck....

How did they not see it before it was too late?

Ava felt the man tug at the belt as he used the scissors to slice the thick threads. Suddenly, she dropped the few inches onto the roof, feeling the glass shards dig further into her skin. Only seconds ticked by before strong arms were pulling her from the wreckage. What she saw amazed her. It was a miracle she was alive at all.

The car was a mess- beyond totaled. No one should have survived.






*







"How is he?" Ava asked the nurse in charge of manning the front desk of the emergency room. Patrick had been taken straight back, needing some form of immediate care while Ava had barely been looked over before being declared completely fine... well, other than some bruises and minor cuts, which was a complete shock to everyone who had seen the wreck. All the doctors had been very adamant in making sure she understood how very lucky she was to be able to walk away from that sort of accident, even if she was more than a little bit sore with a pounding headache.

Ava didn't feel lucky at all... If anything she felt worse for the fact that she got off with such minor injuries while Patrick had apparently taken the brunt of the collision. Guilt wracked through her. This was somehow her fault... if she hadn't stayed and talked to her so-called fans then they would have been somewhere else in the line of cars. If she hadn't been so drunk the night before, she might have been able to grab extra clothes on her way out of the building so that going to the mall wouldn't have been necessary in the first place. If she hadn't written her damn book, Wendy never would have been kidnapped and her car never would have exploded- she never would have even met Patrick. He would be somewhere safe- not badly injured lying in a hospital.

It was most definitely her fault.

"Ma'am, I don't have any information at this time. If you would just take a seat-"

Ava balled her hands, wanting to punch the ill-informed woman as her head pounded harder. "Listen, you've been telling me that for the past two hours. Surely you know /something/..."

She sighed, scribbling something on an open file lying open in front of her. "I'm very sorry, ma'am." Her tone was almost condescending with the way she said ma'am, making it very obvious she didn't think she should be answering to someone like Ava. "Even if I knew anything, I am not at liberty to give out any information to a non-family member."

She gripped the desk, her knuckles beginning to turn white. "I was in the car." Ava tried to keep her voice from sounding too demanding, she hated it when people pushed others around, trying to get their way but sometimes it felt necessary. Especially when she felt she at least deserved some answers. "The same car he was in when it crashed. Surely you can tell me something... anything."

"I'm not going to say it again," Her tone was completely void of any emotion. It was apparent she was seriously beginning to get annoyed by Ava, but the feeling was mutual on both sides. "I cannot give you any information if you are not a direct relative of Mr. Stump."

"Right." Ava's grip tightened. "When can you tell me something, then?"

Bitch Nurse rolled her eyes. "When either Mr. Stump asks for you or his family arrives and they allow you to be admitted."

"Are you kidding? Do they even know he's here?"

" If you know Mr. Stump so well, why don't you inform his family. He didn't arrive with any contact information, but I'm sure you can speed the process along on your own."

It was as if she had been slapped in the face. Ava felt her eyes widen and her body take a more defensive stance; if this girl wanted to play this game then Ava was more than willing to jump in the ring.

"Perhaps you don't really understand who Mr. Stump is." The girl continued. "If I were to let just anyone who claimed to know him in, then it could become a real problem. I have to respect his privacy." Ava wondered how long Patrick would be awake before BN asked for an autograph.

"I. Was. In. His. Car." She didn't know how to be any more blunt. "I was admitted to this hospital as well, you have records of that. That's documented proof of me knowing Patrick. I'm not some complete stranger or the paparazzi."

Bitch Nurse didn't even look at her. "I'm sorry. Your best option is to get in contact with the family..."

Ava groaned in frustration, pushing herself away from the desk and wondered back over to the chair she was forced to occupy.

Round One: Bitch Nurse.

Pulling out her cell phone, Ava began to scan through numbers that might possibly connect her to someone Patrick knew, but came up empty handed. He was too well hidden in that world; it wasn't as if she could just call information for any of his band mates. If he was any other guy she would have just lied her way into seeing him- pretend to be his wife or sister, but with Patrick she couldn't get away with that. Even if they believed her, rumors would get around and her fabrication would be discovered at some time or another.

She let her head fall in her hands- not wanting to accept defeat, but at times it could not be denied. This was something she could never forgive herself for. If it wasn't enough to lose Wendy... If she lost Patrick, too...

She couldn't let herself think that way. Patrick couldn't die. She couldn't imagine a world without him.

God wouldn't be so cruel as to take every single person that meant anything to her. It wouldn't be fair. Her head throbbed even harder at such negative thoughts, making her vision wane momentarily.

"Miss Lemmings?"

Ava's eyes went directly to the doctor standing before her. She didn't even hear him approach. "That's me."

He nodded, giving her a slight smile of encouragement before motioning for her to follow him. "If you'll just come this way."

She was on her feet immediately, closely trailing the doctor, but her eyes darted to Bitch Nurse. She let a small smile of victory play at her lips while the other woman scowled. Ava wanted so badly to say something catty, but more than anything she wanted to see Patrick. He was what really mattered.

"Is Patrick okay?" She asked unsteadily, though slightly relieve that the doctor didn't look too grim.

He glanced down at his chart, nodding as he did so. "Patrick's body has been through a lot of trauma, but he was very lucky it was nothing fatal or long lasting. He has four broken ribs, a hairline fracture in his right arm, and a slight concussion."

Ava tried to swallow the lump in her throat. "Is that all?" She asked, not really meaning to sound sarcastic but she didn't censor her voice fast enough.

The doctor caught on to her train of thought. "He suffered very common injuries associated with car accidents, Miss Lemmings; none of which are untreatable. He'll be in some pain due to the cracked ribs, but in time he will heal and be back to his old self. Again, he is very lucky to be alive and in such good shape." They kept telling her that.

"Can I see him?" She asked, waves of relief swooping over her. He was going to be fine.

"Sure." The doctor said, his smile widening as he lead her out of the emergency area and to another room just beyond. "He was asking for you."

Ava grinned. He was asking for her... he was well enough to even be asking for people. That had to be good, even though she did her best to squish down the overjoyed feeling that he was asking for her over anyone else... she was the only one here... of course he would be saying her name over everyone else's.

She mumbled a quick thank you to the doctor before peeking in through the door, slightly holding her breath.

At least he didn't look like he was in any pain...

He appeared almost peaceful, leaning back on the pillows with his eyes lightly shut. If it wasn't for the hospital gown and the little red cuts marring the left side of his face she never would have guessed that he had just been in a major car accident a few short hours before. She let out a little sigh of relief, walking quickly across the room to the little wooden stool positioned at his side. She lowered herself quietly, not wanting to wake him up, but still needing to touch him- to make sure he was ok. Her movement caused her own muscles to protest, but she did her best to ignore the aching pain. As lightly as she could manage, she let her fingers run over his cast-free arm, stopping at the wristband that marked him as a patient of the hospital.

It was an odd feeling- to be completely overjoyed and still extremely troubled; happy because he was alive and would fully recover; troubled because it was her fault he was in this mess in the first place. He really was in danger being around her.

"Don't make that face."

Ava jerked her hand away, instantly embarrassed she had been caught. "What?"

Patrick's eyes roamed over her face, looking for any possible signs showing that she had been hurt. "Don't make that face." He repeated. "I know what your thinking and this had nothing to do with you."

"You need to get away from me, Patrick. I'm terrible luck it seems."

He shook his head, wincing slightly at the sudden movement. "Stop it."

"You know it's true." She argued, positive of the fact that while he was probably one of the best things that could ever happen to her, she was one of the worst things that could ever happen to him.

"No I don't." Patrick frowned. "What am I going to have to do to get you to stop saying that?"

She shrugged, forcing herself to look down at her hands. Unfortunately without her realization she was gripping one of his. It was as if her body was unconsciously drawn to him. Her brain had nothing to do in this matter. She was more or less battling herself more than anything else.

"You're ok?" He asked, changing the subject.

"Yeah. Better than you anyway."

He coughed a laugh, but the pain was obviously much too unbearable for his body to handle such an activity.

"Shh." She attempted to sooth, carefully brushing her fingers through his hair. Ava had never been much of a nurturer, so this was all entirely new to her. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have made a joke like that. How are you feeling?"

"Like shit."

Ava traced his knuckles with her finger as lightly as she could, wishing she had the power to take all the pain away. "I'm really sorry..."

"Why are you apologizing?" His voice rose unexpectedly, "You didn't do this. The idiot in the green truck is to blame here."

"Yeah but..." She shook her head, trying to organize her thoughts without much success. "If I hadn't-"

"You can't control everything."

"No, but I can prevent it from happening again." She knew she was sounding stubborn but she couldn't help it. "I should just leave and-"

"Stop, Ava." He said. His tone was laced with an underlying anger she never expected to hear. "I'm not going to sit here and have to convince you to be with me. We've gone over this too many times. If you don't want me all you have to do is say so, but don't treat me like a kid and think you have to protect me."

Ava held her breath, just watching as his eyes flashed with hurt... and not the kind caused by the car accident, either. This was the kind of pain she was solely responsible for. Her stomach dropped at the thought of everything she had put him through.

"Fine." She mumbled, feeling her self-constructed barriers begin to crumble away.

He frowned, narrowing his eyes at her as if she were trying to trick him. "Fine what?"

Ava felt his hold on her hand tighten. "Fine- I'll let it go." She shrugged, trying her best to mean what she was saying. "You're a big boy and can take care of yourself."

"Exactly." He said- obviously relieved- still, he managed to give her a small smile. "I'm glad you see it my way."

Ava laughed softly, trying to keep the lightened mood while leaning her free elbow on the bed to support her head in her hand. "Just make sure you don't put yourself out there to get hurt or killed, okay? The Rizzoli family won't care that you're a famous rock star."

Patrick ran his fingers along her cheek, sending a tingling sensation all the way to her toes. "Is that all I am to you? A famous rock star?" He teased, trying to make her to smile, and more importantly to move the conversation on to something other than the death and doom that constantly surround them. It was working.

"Oh yeah." She admitted, "I'm only after you for the fame and fortune... I mean, what does a girl have to do to get herself in /People/."

Patrick laughed. "Hang out with Pete. I'm afraid you've associated yourself with the wrong guy for that one."

Ava shrugged, faking disappointment. "Shucks. I was really looking forward to being exploited."

"I hear it's every girl's dream."

"Naturally."

Patrick tucked a strand of lose hair behind her ear. Ava wondered if it was just one of those moves all guys have programmed into their systems in order to get close enough to kiss a girl; however, Patrick never made any other attempt to make that happen.

"So, am I going to have to do this formally?"

"Do what formally?"

He shrugged, and then winced at the sudden movement. "I could write a note... 'Will you go out with me?' then have little boxes where you could check yes, no or maybe." She laughed, finally catching on to where he was going with this train of thought- causing her heart to beat faster at that recognition. "/Or/, I could tell my best friend, who would tell your best friend that I have a crush on you. Somehow it would get around and I would have him to ask you out for me. That technique was always a favorite of mine."

"What are we, ten?"

"Hey now," He pretended to look wounded, holding his cast covered hand over his heart. "These methods have been proven effective in real life situations."

"Maybe in fifth grade." She offered, not being able to contain the smile that was spreading across her face. He really was a dork.

"Fine then... I could do the rock star thing and announce it at a concert or tattoo it across my chest or something."

"Oh god, please no." Ava snorted, picturing Patrick doing both things, each more ridiculous than the last.

"So nothing drastic?"

She shook her head, agreeing with him. "I'm thinking that isn't our style."

Patrick cocked one eyebrow. "Any suggestions then?"

Ava leaned in to him, letting her fingers trail the length of his arm. Nerves were starting to make her a little shaky but she couldn't let that stop her. It was now or never. "Maybe we don't have to say anything at all...?"

His eyes widened briefly as she scooted even closer so that they were merely a few short inches apart. "No talking... Interesting concept."

"Yeah, that's what I thought."

He cupped her face with his palm, bringing her near enough for their noses to barely touch. It was an uncomfortable position, half leaning over him in a hospital bed, all the while trying not to cause any more injury to his cracked ribs, but she didn't dare move and interrupt the moment. They didn't have enough good luck to risk it.

Ava couldn't be sure who moved in first, it was just as if they were both there at the same time. His lips were firmly against hers, his hand moved slowly to the back of her neck, holding her to him. Ava slipped from her stool, positioning herself on the side of the bed and braced her arm on the other side of his body all while never breaking contact. Proud of her little maneuver she grinned against his lips, slipping her free hand lightly from one shoulder to the other. Her heart beat was thunderous in her ears, urging her to get closer; to crush her body against his but the constant reminder of his injuries held her back.

Patrick urged the kiss deeper and Ava complied without a thought, needing this contact more than anything else. He whispered her name, over and over, his breath was hot against her cheek yet she couldn't help but shiver. His right hand moved gently down her body, his fingers trailing along the exposed skin between her shirt and pants before uncertainly slipping beneath the thin cotton of her top. Ava moaned into his mouth as he gripped her ribcage, his thumb flicking the soft skin right below her bra, causing her kisses to become even more frantic.

"Patrick," she moaned, kissing the line along his jaw and down the side of his neck.

"Oh god, Ava..." He whispered back, his grip tightening.

The desperation bleeding through his voice was just enough to spur Ava on; even though she was quite aware they were occupying a very public place. It was like someone had just taken over her body... this was not something Ava would normally do where it was so easy for others to walk in unannounced.

"Please-" Ava said softly, not really sure what she was begging for. She only knew that she needed more as Patrick pushed his lips along her collarbone. With one of his hands tangled in her hair and the other still beneath her shirt he pulled her closer. As soon as her body brushed his chest he stiffened, sucking in a sharp breath from the pain.

Ava jumped away immediately, cursing herself for her stupidity. "I'm so sorry." She mumbled, starting to stand and move from the bed so she wouldn't be tempted to start all over.

"No." Patrick grabbed for one of her hands, still wanting her to stay close to him. His breath was heavy from what just happened between them pared with the hurt his ribs had caused. "That was my fault."

"You're in the hospital. I should have known better." She said, staring at their laced fingers. She had no idea what she had done to deserve a guy like him.

"It was my charm." He declared, a smile finally returning to his face even if it was slightly forced. "Once I turn that on, you're pretty much helpless."

Ava swallowed, not wanting to admit how very true that statement was as she grinned back. "Right. I just start to fall all over myself. You're completely to blame here."

He gave a tiny nod, tugging on her hand so that she had to scoot closer. "Exactly."

She sighed, her gaze traveling along his bandaged body. "What do you think all your fans are going to say when you can't perform for a while?"

"Well," He frowned, "In a week or so when the tour starts back up hopefully I'll be able to sing still. We can get a temporary guitar player."

"You really think you'll be well enough by then?" There was a part of her that wished he wouldn't go back so soon but she knew that was selfish. He had a tour to finish.

"I'll be fine." Patrick was confident. "What I'm more worried about is where you'll be living while I'm away."

Ava rolled her eyes. "You're worried about my living arrangements wile you're stuck in the hospital with broken bones and a concussion? I think your priorities are a little messed up."

"This was an accident. Someone out there is really trying to kill you."

"I'll find somewhere safe, I promise."

He didn't seem to like her answer. "And you won't stay on the bus with me? Not even for a little while?"

Ava could tell he was trying to guilt her into what he wanted. "I don't think so. /But/, if you want, I'll let you come with me to look for an apartment."

"Oh, that's much better. Almost just like living with me."

She flicked his hand, the only part of his body that looked like it could take any sort of abuse. "Hey, I'm trying to include you, too."

"Fine, how about this: I find you a place."

Ava squinted at him. "Not on the bus?"

"Not on the bus."

"You do realize I have a budget as well, right?"

Patrick sighed. "Yes, I know that."

"Well," She said hesitantly, not really wanting to relinquish control; however, she also knew this would make Patrick worry a lot less if he had some say in the matter. "I guess that's ok as long as it isn't too expensive."

He nodded. "I think I might know somewhere that might work then."

Ava cocked one eyebrow. "That was fast."

"I've been thinking about it for a while."

That was new for Ava. "What do you mean? The fire thing just happened."

"Well," He shuffled awkwardly in the bed, "I kind of thought about it a while ago- after the spider incident- and made some calls."

"What?!" Ava's voice rose, shocked at his admission, but instead of being able to defend his answer, they were interrupted by someone clearing their throat in the doorway.

Ava glanced over; Bitch Nurse stood there, hands on hips practically glaring at her. "Miss Lemmings, we're going to have to ask you to leave. Mr. Stump needs his rest."

"What?" Ava said, starting to get angry at the woman all over again. "It's like, four o'clock in the afternoon."

"Yes, but we really can't have you here, interrupting the other patients." BN moved her hands from her hips to cross over her chest, turning to Patrick and making her way over to his bed.

"How am I affecting the other patients?" Ava growled, knowing the woman just wanted her out of the picture so she could have Patrick all to herself.

Well, she wasn't going to let that happen.

"You are being very loud, ma'am, and I'm sure Patrick-"

"No." Ava interrupted. "I'm staying."

"Ma'am, you are not a family member, so your rights in this matter are very limited."

"You've got to be kidding me." Ava glared, wanting to rip the smug smile off her face. "He asked to see me. Surely that means something." She turned to Patrick who couldn't contain his lopsided grin. Apparently he was finding this amusing.

"Miss, you are not family..." BN started, shaking her head.

Ava opened her mouth to argue some more but finally Patrick stepped in before it got ugly. "I really do want her to stay, Miss..." He looked on shirt for her nametag, "Waddington. The reason she was a little... loud earlier was completely my fault. You see, I've been trying to convince her to move in with me, but she wants nothing to do with touring so I'm having to stoop to other levels that she isn't exactly happy with."

"You two are..." She questioned, pointing back and forth between them.

Patrick's eyes connected with Ava's; daring her to admit to the relationship they had been running from for so long. If he thought she was going to let the Bitch Nurse push her around he was sorely wrong.

Ava leaned in to Patrick, brushing a soft kiss against his lips before nodding a 'yes'. As she pulled away Ava glared back at BN just in time to see her cheeks tint pink.

Round Two: Ava.

"Well," She muttered, trying to contain as much dignity as possible. "I was just wondering if maybe it would be possible to get your autograph, Patrick."

Ava pressed her lips together. This girl was unbelievable.

Patrick, of course, took her pen and paper, using the local newspaper lying on the side table as a hard surface. "Who do you want me to make this out to?"

Ava blocked out the woman's answer as she stared at the opening story lying beneath Patrick's hand. He obviously didn't see what was printed. "Local Millionaire Found Dead In Junk Yard" was the opening title, but what scared her the most was that she recognized the black and white photo centered beneath those words:

Matthew.






____________________________________________

Yay! I finally updated! You can't be TOO mad at me because I made it well over 4500 words, so it's kind of like you get a two-in-one.

Anyway, I'm a little nervous bout this chapter so please be easy on me when reviewing! ;) I love you all!!!
Sign up to rate and review this story