Categories > Cartoons > Class of the Titans > Original Heroes

Nature of Things

by DJessie 0 reviews

THANK YOU GreenNoseRing for letting me put this up here. I just love this stor so much I HAD to put it up here!! Thanks again! Based on the original characters for COTT.

Category: Class of the Titans - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Romance - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2007-04-07 - Updated: 2007-04-07 - 2009 words

0Unrated
"Ugh!" Atlanta grunted as she swung her racket. The small neon ball easily shot over the net and past her opponent.

"Point!" Atlanta called to Brooke Lewis. It was after school on a bright Wednesday afternoon, and the two girls were playing singles on the court on top of the Academy's roof.

"Jeez," Brooke muttered, "You've got a broken wrist and you're still kicking my ass."

Atlanta laughed as she took her sweaty hair out of its bun. "Still my serve?"

"New game," Brooke told her, "I'LL serve!"

"Fine," Atlanta chuckled, "I'll just have to beat you again!"

"Fat chance," Brooke smirked, throwing the ball up in the air and hitting it with all the strength her skinny frame could muster.

The ball went over the net. Unfortunately, it also went over the ledge of the roof.

"I'll get it," Atlanta called, walking over to the end of the ridge and starting to climb over the side.

"Are you freaking crazy?" Brooke asked, jogging over to her, "Just take the stairs! You're going to split your skull open!"

"No I won't!" Atlanta waved her off, "There are rims along the bricks, I'll be fine!"

Brooke sighed heavily but still let her friend scramble down the side of the school.

X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0

'Okay, maybe this wasn't such a hot idea,' Atlanta thought as she looked down. There were still several feet separating her and the ground, and she had run out of places to put her feet.

"Um, Brooke?" Atlanta yelled. "I'm kinda stuck!"

"Climb up!" Brooke shouted down at her, "Just try not to kill yourself!

Atlanta tried to put a shoe up, but she slipped, loosing her footing. She was now dangling by one hand.

"Oh, God," Atlanta gulped.

"ATLANTA!" Brooke shrieked, "Hold on, I'll get help!" The next thing Atlanta heard before she let go was her friend scurrying against the concrete.

Just when Atlanta thought she was going to die, she felt strong arms break her fall.

"Thank you," she breathed, her heart still beating fast from her drop.

"No problem," a kind voice told her. Atlanta looked up and saw that it belonged to a tall teenage boy with long red hair, dark eyes, and a small sprig of a beard. He had a blue cap pulled over his head and both his ears had little gold hoops in them. He was looking down at Atlanta with a concerned look on his face.

"You alright?" he asked her, still holding her in his arms.

"Fine," Atlanta said, feeling woozy. She tried to get up and try to walk, but she felt too light-headed to do so. She fell over and the boy grabbed her again.

"Steady," the boy told her, "I don't want you to fall over again!"

Atlanta giggled and nodded.

"Okay," she said, "I'm Atlanta, by the way."

"Phil," the boy said, holding out his hand. Atlanta shook it and couldn't help but notice how soft his hands were.

Unfortunately, the moment was ruined when Brooke ran out the doors of the gym accompanied by the whole senior girls' volley-ball team.

X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0

"Um, hey Atlanta," Archie said confidently, "Listen, I know we're friends and everything, but I was wondering if you'd like to grab dinner sometime?"

"I'd love to!" a high-pitched voice shrieked.

Archie whirled around, honestly thinking it was Atlanta for a second, and saw that it was only Neil, accompanied by Herry and Odie.

"Dude!" Herry exclaimed, "I didn't know you liked Atlanta! Aren't we supposed to be friends or something?"

"It's nothing," Archie said, slamming his locker door. He punched himself hard on the leg as punishment for being as stupid as practicing his lines in the hallway.

Neil and Odie looked at each other tensely. They both had the same thought. Trent may like Atlanta too. Did Archie know this? He probably did, the two boys told each other everything. But what if he didn't know? And how was Archie going to react when he found out Trent felt the same way about Atlanta as he did?

"You can't like Atlanta," Neil blurted out.

"Why?" Archie snapped, "Is it because she's 'just a friend?' Well, for your information, we've gone out! And we had a great time!"

"But Trent..." Odie began before Neil elbowed him.

"Trent would probably agree with us," Neil lied.

"Whatever," Archie grumbled, walking away.

"What's this about Trent?" Herry asked his friends.

Neil and Odie sighed, and told him the whole story.

X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0

Atlanta sighed quietly as she pulled on her clothes for that day. She couldn't help thinking about the boy she met yesterday.

Phil. Hmmm....

She slumped down the stairs and into the kitchen.

"Morning," she mumbled to her mother and younger siblings. David had already left for work. He was some big shot lawyer at some fancy law firm that Atlanta couldn't remember the name of.

"Good morning, honey!" Atlanta's mother said just as Atlanta's cell phone began to ring. Atlanta took it out of her pocket and looked at the caller ID.

It was Trent. Atlanta pressed 'TALK'.

"Hey," she said as she picked up the phone, "Can you give me a ride to school? I need to talk to you."

X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0

"Hi," Trent said quietly to Atlanta as she got into his bright-red convertible a half-hour later.

"Hi," she replied.

Trent started the engine and pulled out of Atlanta's driveway. There was silence for a few minutes.

"Would it just tick you off even more if I told you I was sorry again?" Trent asked.

"I know you're sorry," Atlanta sighed, "It wasn't your fault at all. I've been a giant bitch."

"No you haven't," Trent told her.

"Yes, I have," Atlanta insisted. "You're one of my best friends, Trent. I should know that you would never even think of doing anything like that."

Trent gulped and grasped harder on the steering wheel.

"Listen," Atlanta said, touching his arm and making him tighten his grip even stiffer, "I had a really bad scare yesterday. I looked death in the face and the whole time I was scared that I was going to die without telling you that I was sorry."

Trent smiled, feeling great that he and Atlanta were on friendly terms again.

"I'll always be here for you, Lan," he said.

"Mm-hmm," Atlanta chuckled, ruffling his hair playfully. "Anyways, I met this new guy at school. He caught me when I fell."

"Ah, yes," Trent said, "Phil was his name, was it not?"

"How did you know?" Atlanta asked, sitting straight up.

"Atlanta, everyone knows him," Trent chuckled, "He's supposed to be this amazing DJ who's throwing a great party this weekend for some charity. And now with the added bonus of being a hero..."

"Wow," Atlanta muttered, folding her arms over her chest, "Impressive."

X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0

"It looks like you two have made up," Neil whispered to Trent as he waved at Atlanta down the hall later that day.

"Yeah," Trent breathed, "Looks like we have."

"Um, Trent," Neil said, "Do you maybe know someone else who might like Atlanta?"

Trent whirled around. "Who says I like Atlanta?"

"No one," Neil said, "I just heard a rumor that Archie, sorta, possibly does."

"What?" Trent asked, "He does?"

"I don't know," Neil lied, "I just heard that he might. It's those stupid eighth grade girls. They think it's funny to make up stories about juniors."

"Okay," Trent said, still unsure if Neil was telling the truth or not. "Whatever."

X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0

'Oh, crap!' Atlanta thought as she bolted down the hallway, 'I'm so late! Mr. Ares is going to kill me!'

The small girl turned a corner and almost ran into the person on the other side.

"Excuse me," she muttered, trying to get around.

"Hey!" the person said, "I've been looking for you!"

Atlanta looked up and saw that it was Phil, carrying a stack of green flyers in his hands. He took one and handed it to her.

"What's this?" Atlanta said, looking down at the paper.

"It's just for this thing I'm throwing," Phil said, "Do you think you'll come?"

"Oh yeah, I heard about this," Atlanta said.

DJ Panic's Bash

Oct 7 8:00-?

New Olympia Woods

$5 at the door

(All proceeds go towards helping the Green Alliance)

Atlanta gasped. "The party's a benefit for the Green Alliance?"

Phil nodded.

"That's so great!" Atlanta exclaimed, "I volunteer for them every chance I get!"

"Really?" Phil asked, "It's definitely my favorite wild-life organization. It's so great that they're doing their part to help make our earth better."

"I know," Atlanta said, "It's so sad that more people don't think like you."

"Well hopefully, with the donations I get from the party, the more I'll be able to help the Alliance and spark more people's interests in volunteering."

"That would be so awesome," Atlanta grinned.

"Um, this may seem kind of weird, since I've just met you and all," Phil began, "But do you want to have lunch with me today? We can talk more about the party and maybe if you're not busy tomorrow you can help me count out tickets?"

"I'd like that," Atlanta told him.

"Awesome," Phil said, "Well, see you."

"See you," Atlanta said, watching as he turned his back and walked away.

Atlanta leaned against the wall and sighed.

'Wait, a minute,' she thought, 'What am I doing? I'm supposed to be in history!'

And with that, she bolted down the hall before she could waste anymore time distracted by thoughts of Phil

X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0X0

"Where's Atlanta?" Archie asked as he sat down at his friends' usual table.

"She told me in history that she was going to eat lunch with the new guy," Odie informed him, "You guys should have seen Mr. Ares! He was pissed that Lan walked into the class ten minutes late! He would've given her a detention if she didn't tell him this fantastic lie about having to save baby birds from a hungry cat!"

Jay, Herry, and Neil laughed, but Trent and Archie settled into their seats uncomfortably.

"So, who is this new guy?" Archie asked, popping open his bottle of Gatorade.

"Some DJ," Odie said, "I heard it going around that he's a descendant of Pan."

"Pan?" Jay queried, "The god of the forest?"

"Uh-huh," Odie nodded, "The one and only."

Trent gazed down at where his strawberry-blonde friend and her new buddy where eating. Phil must have said something funny because Atlanta was laughing.

"So did you guys get an invite to this party he's giving?" Jay asked, pulling a flyer out of his backpack and flashing it to the rest of the boys.

"No," Archie retorted, "And even if I did, why would I wanna go to some lame party listening to crappy music and watching people getting drunk and smoking pot?"

"That kinda sucks," a voice said behind Archie, "Because I was just about to invite you to come to my 'lame party'."

Archie whirled around and saw that Phil was standing over him, accompanied by Atlanta.

"You're such a dick, Archie," Atlanta said, punching Archie on the arm.

"I didn't mean it," Archie stammered, "It's just that..."

"No problem," Phil told him, "Feel free to come anyway." He put a few leaflets on the table and then handed Archie a CD.

"Give it a listen," he instructed, "My music's not as crappy as you may think."

Phil grabbed Atlanta's arm and they walked off.

"Oh, dude!" Neil exclaimed, "They burned you big time!"

"Shut up," Archie growled.
Sign up to rate and review this story