Categories > Original > Fantasy > Virtual Reality

The First Test

by darks00 3 reviews

Josh is doing his first test in order to be a "Chosen Child". But it's hard when they're playing mind games...

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Romance - Published: 2007-06-04 - Updated: 2007-06-05 - 2551 words - Complete

2Funny
____________________________________________________________-

I find the answers aren't so clear
Wish I could find a way to disappear
All these thoughts they make no sense
I find bliss in ignorance
Nothing seems to go away
Over and over again

"One Step Closer" By Linkin Park


The sun was dying for the moon. Sky and Josh continued walking with their new friend, Kalvin. Josh took out a cigarette from his package, put it to his lips, and lit it up with his lighter.

Kalvin and Sky looked at him as if they were going to eat them.

"What?" Josh asked.

"You smoke?" Kalvin asked for himself and Sky.

Josh shrugged. "Yeah."

Josh took the cigarette out of his mouth, and blew out the toxic fumes into the air. Sky coughed. "You're only sixteen! You shouldn't be smoking!"

"Yeah," agreed Kalvin, "and how did you get those smokes?"

"I just ask random people to buy me some smokes and lighters and give them extra money, hoping they don't double cross me. So far, that hasn't happened."

"That's illegal," pointed out Kalvin.
"Jeeze, you two are sounding like my mother and father!"

"Well I'm tired," said Sky with a sigh, changing the topic, "let's go to sleep, City Boy."

The three sighed as they sit down near a river. Kalvin and Sky went for some wood. When they got back, Josh was done his cigarette, and pounded it into Mother Earth. He light the wood with his lighter. The three sat around it for warmth.

"Man, am I thirsty," Josh complained.

"There's a river right over there," Sky said, pointing behind him.

"Is it potable?" Josh asked.

"Potable enough to drink to not get dehydrated. You have to take your chances in the wilderness." Sky pointed out.

"Well, what if it's contaminated?" Whined Josh.

"Then we'd be luckly," joked Kalvin.

Sky laughed, but Josh didn't think that was funny.

"Take it or leave it. Just don't complain to us," warned Sky.

Josh sighed, and decided to take his chances. He went to the river, dipped his hands in and took out some water in his hands and drink it. Surprisingly, it wasn't that bad, and Josh began to drink it greedily.

"Save some water for the fish, Josh!"

Again, Kalvin.
Josh let out a saticefy sigh, and sat by the fire.

"Speaking of fish, I'm hungry," commented Sky.

"Let's go in the bushes and look for some berries," suggested Kalvin. "I know which ones are posionous and which ones aren't."

Kalvin and Sky began to walk off, but Sky noticed Josh was sulking by the fire. "Coming?"

"Nah, go without me," Josh said with depression in his voice, "I'm not hungry."

Well, at least not hungry for berries, Josh thought.

Sky shrugged. "Okay, we'll be back soon."

And off they went. Josh sighed. Man, he missed home, he thought. His mom's homemade cooking that he took for granted. That was reminded when his stomache growled. Josh held it in hunger pain. But the worse pain he was feeling, was home sick.

What if I never get home, he thought to himself. What if I never see my mother or father ever again? He sighed.

Josh sulked for about ten minutes when Sky and Kalvin came back with some berries. Even though Josh didn't help, Sky and Kalvin were nice and gave him some when they heard his stomache growl.

When they were finished eating and drinking, they decided to get some sleep.

""Night, everyone," Josh said, yawning.

"Good night," said Sky and Kalvin.
And with that, the three fell to sleep.


The next morning came too soon for Josh to like. He was getting annouyed being awakened by the sun every morning like his alarm clock.

That morning, Josh had to use the washroom. He went into the bushes, and pulled down his pants, making sure no one was looking. Sky walked in on him half way through, looking for berries, and screamed, running out of the bushes, scaring poor Kalvin. Josh decided from now on, he would warn the two when he was doing his "business".

Again, Sky, Kalvin, and this time, Josh, went to collect some berries for their berries. As they finished, they began to walk to Death Valley once again.

"How much longer till we reach Death Valley?" Kalvin asked Sky.

Sky replied, "errr, about...I'd say about ten minutes."

"Hopefully they have a hotel or something," muttered Josh.

"City Boy!" Sky teased him again.

Josh didn't even bother replying back. What was the point?

Sky was close. They got to Death Valley in twenty minutes. Josh then realized why it was called Death Valley. Everywhere was dead trees and dead flowers and weeds. It was discusting, and so were the brown buildings, ready to collapse at anytime. Not to mention the spiders and centipies.

"This valley is dead," commented Kalvin.
"That's why they call it Death Valley," said Sky, slightly annoyed with her friends.

"Now, where is this "test"?" Josh asked.

Both Sky and Kalvin paused.

"What?"

Kalvin whispered, "are you sure you want to do this?"

Josh laughed. "Of course!"

"What if you turn into a bloodhound?" Sky asked, then added in a whisper, "or die?"

Josh laughed again, hiding his fear. "I'm not worried."

"Well, suit yourself," Kalvin said. "If I remember correctly, the first test is in the Death Valley Cave."

Kalvin and Sky lead Josh to a dark, damp, wet cave. Josh started to go in, but noticed Kalvin and Sky didn't follow him.

"Coming?" Asked Josh.

"We can't," replied Sky.

"Why not?" Josh said panicing.

He didn't want to face this alone.

"This is YOUR test," Kalvin answered for Sky, "you have to do this by yourself. We can't help you, or we will get hurt for disobeying the rules."
Josh gulped. "I guess I'm going solo, then..."

"Good luck, Josh," said Sky.

"You'll need it," added Kalvin.

Sky elbowed Kalvin in the ribs. "Ow!"

Josh smiled at this. He was sure he would be okay. "I'll be back. Just wait for me."

"Okay," Sky agreed. "See you later."

"Bye," Kalvin said.

"Bye," Josh said, echoing Kalvin.

Josh entered the cave. Man, it was so dark he could hardly see! Luckly, there was torches on the side of the caves to light it up. But what Josh saw was discusting that he almost puked. There was bloody skeletons all over the place. Some were chained to the wall, some had all their bones broken. Josh ran to the end of the cave before he lost his breakfast.

Standing there, was a man with white hair and in a white cloak.

"State your name," he demanded.

"J-Josh," Josh said, frightened.

"You wish to be the holder of the element rain, the partner of Deluge?"

"Yes," Josh said, more confident.

The man still had the serious look on his face. "This test will test your mind. You will have the power of Deluge. But be forwarned- if Deluge isn't part of your soul, he will devour your soul. If you fail, he will lose your soul and become a Bloodhound. You understand?"

Josh started losing confidence. "Yes."

The man tossed him a blue watch.

"Put it on your wrist," he demaned.

Josh listened to the man and put the watch on.

"Let the trial of the mind begin!" Demaned the man.

Before Josh could say anything or even think, the cave turned even more darker. Josh paniced. What was going on? Then he heard voices. These horrible, scratchy voices that sounded like nails on the chalk board.

"You can't make it."

"You're too weak."

"You will die here."

"Die..."

"Die.."

"Die..."

"SHUT UP!" Josh screamed, holding his hands to his ears. "I don't believe you!"
"You're not loved," the voices continue to taunt,

"You're worthless."

"You should go kill yourself."

"You don't deserve to live."

Josh began to sweat, and his heart began to race faster. What if they were right? No, they can't be right. But...Where were these voices coming from?

"Show yourself, cowards!" Josh shouted into the dark space.

"If you wish," said the voice.

Josh saw a man in front of him with a cloak on. "Take the cloak off."

"If you wish," the man repeated.

The man took the hood off. Josh gasped. The man had dark chocolate brown eyes with jet black hair almost to his shoulders.

It...It was himself. Josh was staring at himself! Josh backed away, as if he burnt his hand.

Josh was speechless. He couldn't say a word.

"I AM you," the "other Josh" said. "The one inside of you, the one that you hidden for so long.

"..." Nope. Josh was still speechless.

"You still remember me. You remember your dark side. You know what you done."

"I've done nothing!"

"Oh, really?"

The other Josh lifted up his cloak's sleeve, to reveal five scars. "Remember these?"

"No..."

"You made these! You did this to yourself!"

"NO!"

"Oh, what? You can't even look at yourself anymore?"

"I stopped." -Josh started to have tears in his eyes- "I'm not a self-abuser anymore. I quit."

"Do you remember the hell you put with your parents when you were "sick"?" The other Josh taunted, "all those hospitals you've been to..."

"Shut up!"

"You can't make yourself shut-up. You want to die? Let me help you."

The other Josh revealed a sword and swiftly played with it in his hands. Then, he went up to Josh and was about to stab Josh in the chest.

Josh had to think quick. What was he going to do? Oh, I can use Deluge! Now, what do Kalvin and Sky always say? He would just have to change the element and the partner's name. He put his hand on his watch and chanted,

"Deluge, holder of the element rain, come forth and reveal to me your true form!"

A large blue shark with sharp teeth was revealed. At first, the other Josh was getting closer and closer to Josh. He was scared Deluge wasn't going to do anything, and that Deluge and him weren't meant to be partners.

"Deluge!" Josh screamed desperately, "please, help!"

Deluge roared, as it opened it's mouth, and a blast of water flew out of the shark's mouth. The other Josh went flying, and was unconscious. Josh was now panting and drentched with sweat. He had saw Death's face.

It was over. Or so Josh thought.

The other Josh got up, now only a skeleton. "You can not destroy me! For I am YOU!"

"Well, not anymore!" Josh cried out.

"Deluge, attack!" Ordered Josh.

Deluge was about to attack, but stopped and confused when there were...three of the other Josh's skeletons?! What?

"He...He multiplied himself..." Josh muttered to himself, then he said to Deluge: "Erm, Deluge, continue your attack!"

Deluge went for the skeleton on the right. It just went through it.

"The middle one!" Josh ordered.

Deluge attacked. Again, nothing. The attack went through the skeleton. It was definately the left one!

"Deluge, the left one!"

Deluge obeyed. Again, nothing.

"Wha?" Josh was speechless. "But I attacked all three!"

Josh closed his eyes, lost in his thoughts:

What can I do? None of my attacks worked. One of them is it...Wait...Maybe...Maybe, none of those are the other me...

Josh still had his eyes closed, and went with his insticts as he said, "Deluge, attack behind me!"

Deluge listened to Josh. And he was right. It was like Josh felt his presense behind him. The skeleton, and the other him was dead. Was...Was it over?

Soon, the darkness faded. The man in the white cloak appeared.

"Congradulations," the man said, "you passed."

Josh left out a laughter of relief.

"You have a pure mind," continued the man, "and Deluge seems fond of you and listens to you."

Josh had a proud smile on.
"You have to remember when you can't rely on any of your five senses, you have to go with your instinct. Sometimes that's the best thing. You can not always listen to what you're mind is saying. You have to forgive yourself and not let the past interfere with the present."

Josh nodded. Josh was proud of himself- he done it! But Josh's smile turned to a frown when the blue watch that held Deluge dissapeared like water vapor.

"Deluge!" Josh cried out as if he had lost his child.

"You still have the soul and heart test," the man reminded him, "when you complete these two, Deluge will be yours to keep."

Josh pouted a little like a little kid who didn't get his way. "Okay."

"Good luck, Josh." The man said before dissapearing in thin air.

Josh found his way back in the cave, doing a little victory dance. He fell onto the floor, but quickly got up, ran out of the cave to meet up with Sky and Kalvin.

When Josh got near the entrance/exit of the cave, he heard Kalvin and Sky talking.

"I bet you ten bucks that Josh isn't coming back," Kalvin challanged Sky.

"I bet you ten bucks that he will!" Sky challanged back.

Josh walked out of the cave, raising his eyebrows at his friends.

Sky and Kalvin, feeling someone watching them, turned and looked at Josh.
They laughed nearvously.

Kalvin pouted, handing Sky two five dollar bills.

"Thanks for the confident, Kal," Josh teased.

"So, come on, tell me what it was like!" Sky pleaded like a little child.

"Sure. But I'll tell you when we set up for camp."

During the night, Kalvin collected some fire wood, and Josh lite it. Then Kalvin grabbed some berries. Josh caught fish with a "spear" he made out of wood. Sky found some vines, and made a backpack out of them. They then put everything they didn't eat into the homemade backpack.

Around the campfire, Josh told them the whole story of the first test in great detail.

"I didn't expect anything less," said Kalvin.

"Way to go, Josh," Sky said encouragingly.

"Thanks." Josh replied.

Sky and Josh learnt that Kalvin was asleep by the sound of a light snoring. It was silient, untill Josh broke it by saying,

"Thanks for having confidence in me, Sky."

Sky was shocked by this. "Why, you're welcome. What are friends for?"

Josh smiled, and he through another tree branch into the fire. The flames flickered bigger. "You're a great friend."

"So are you," commented Sky.

The two friends smiled at each other.

"...Even though you're still a City Boy," said Sky laughing.

This time, Josh didn't get mad- he laughed.

"Country Girl!" He accused.

They were laughing and had fun. But, inside Sky's mind and heart, she couldn't help but wonder, what if Josh HAD died? About ten minutes later, Sky and Josh exchanged good-nights, and Sky fell asleep. Josh studied the stars up above, before whispering to himself,

"I...I think I have a crush on you, Sky...Maybe one day you'll know..."

And with that, he fell asleep.

_______________________________________________________________

Catch me as I fall
Say you're here and it's all over now
Speaking to the atmosphere
No one's here and I fall into myself
This truth drives me
Into madness
I know I can stop the pain
If I will it all away

"Whisper" By Evanescence
Sign up to rate and review this story