Categories > Cartoons > G.I. Joe > The Synthoid Conspiracy

Test Run

by Soundwave 0 reviews

The Joes and the Knight Sabers conduct a war game exercise and test new FAST packs for the Knight Sabers hardsuits

Category: G.I. Joe - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover - Characters: Cobra Commander,Destro,Duke,Scarlett - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-11-09 - Updated: 2007-11-09 - 2073 words - Complete

0Unrated
Chapter I: Test run

I fear with the introduction of Hardsuit, we have entered into a new arms race. Cobra has the capability to develop different variants of the Zaku or possibly newer models. We’re forced to develop countermeasures in the form of newer weapons for the YHS series or possibly develop newer models of our own.

A classified analysis by Grey Fox.

Duke piloted his Dragonfly over the Atlantic Ocean heading for the USS Flagg. Today was a triple feature for the Joes, a show for the brass, an exercise and testing of what were called “FAST Packs” (Fuel And Sensor Tactical) for the YHS-01 and YHS-02. “Leader Joe calling observation ship.”

Off the starboard side of the Flagg was the observation ship, an older Perry class frigate. On board were General Franks, Rear Admiral Charles Ledger, and Brigadier General (sel) Robert Howe, the three men made up a four panel military oversight committee for GI Joe, the representative for the Marine Corp was not present due to attend some maneuvers at 29 Stumps*, lastly Colonel Harold Sharp.

Edward Franks was a four star general that rose from the ranks of the 3rd Infantry. Gray streaked through his dark hair and moustache. He was in his late fifties, but had no thoughts of retirement. There was a rumor that he might be appointed to the Joint Chiefs. He was also the one who green lighted General Flagg and then Colonel Abernathy to create GI Joe.

Charles Ledger was considered an ‘old man of the sea’ which most used as a sign of respect. In spite that it was against regs, he kept a well-groomed beard. In his spare time, Ledger was avid ship modeler, building from scratch model ships from the age of sail. A bit of a romantic of the era, believing those were men of the sea.

Brigadier Robert Howe, a recently appointed general in the US Air Force. He was mainly a desk jockey; his background consisted of budget and finance. Most of his peers called him ‘Desk Pilot Bob.’ But the Secretary of Defense to head up the Pentagon Budget committee appointed him.

Last was Colonel Harold Sharp, appointed by Franks to serve on the GI Joe command staff in an informal capacity. He was vocal in his opposition to the formation of the Knight Sabers after the unit was formed, especially to Lt. Stingray choosing Sgt. Asagiri, since the two had a run in and Priss decided to shoot off her mouth.

“This is General Franks to Leader Joe, is the area secured?”

“Yes, sir, ready to commence with the war games.” Duke replied over the radio.

Deep underwater, a sub approaches the Flagg’s position. It’s twin screw propellers were locked, with its caterpillar drive engaged. The sub crew hoped to that the sub’s signature could be passed off as magma displacement or a seismic anomaly.

“Sir, sonar confirms we’re under them.”

“Very well. Engines full stop, remain on silent running.” The sub Captain ordered.

“All Engines stop, maintaining silent running” Another crewman answered, “Aye, sir.”

“I’ll inform the Commander.” The Captain left the bridge. As he walked through the narrow network of corridors, the captain was amazed despite the size of these subs, maybe thrice the size of a Los Angeles Attack Sub; space was still a premium in certain areas of the ship. He approached Cobra Commander’s stateroom before he even knocked on the door, he heard a heated debate between the Commander and whom he assumed sounded like Destro. The Captain knocked.

“Enter!” The Commander demanded.

“Sir, we’re directly under the target, still on silent running. We’re awaiting further orders.” The Captain reported to the Commander.

‘Very well, Captain. Return to the Bridge.”

“Aye, Aye, sir.”

“Commander, they’ll discover us if we remain her here much longer!” Destro complained.

Cobra Commander leaned against his desk. His plan was carefully laid out and he had to put up with Destro’s bitching. Frankly he saw no real purpose of bringing Destro along since he had no purpose to the mission. “Destro, soon they’ll be unable and too busy to notice.”

“Commander…”

“No one invited you on this mission, Destro.” The Commander dismissed him venomously. He moved to a wall-mounted monitor picking up an A/V feed from the observation ship.

“What pray tell is the mission?”

“You’ll know in full detail at my leisure. Quiet! I want to hear this.”

“The exercise will commence at 1000 hours.” Ledger announced to Duke over the radio, “Will your team and the Knight Sabers be ready?”

“Yes, sir.” Duke answered.

“The Joes are really on the ball, eh, Erickson?” Franks said, turning to his aide, unassuming Lt. assigned to him last week.

“Mm-Hmm, yes, sir.” Erickson replied. But the fun is about to begin.

“Enthusiastic young man.” Ledger sarcastically told Franks. Franks only half listened to the Admiral.

Duke headed his Dragonfly for the USS Flagg. En route, he checked in with Deep-Six and Torpedo. Deep-Six piloted a SHARC with Torpedo on the underside. A special hose ran from his respirator to the SHARC’s internal air supply. His respirator was a switch between the SHARC’s air supply and his own tanks. Their job was during the testing of the FAST packs in case either of the two Knight Sabers goes into the drink during testing they can provide rescue.

Back on the observation ship, the three flag officers and Colonel Sharp moved to the head of bridge. It was a foregone conclusion that Franks held the GI Joe team in high regard. But he’s never seen the Knight Sabers in action, he’s heard of much about the team, mostly glowing reports of the unit’s effectiveness, despite the vast difference of personalities between them. “As head of the Pentagon Budget Committee, General Howe, I’m sure you’ll be impress by the performance of both GI Joe and the Knight Sabers.”

“I will be, Colonel, I quite familiar with the reputation of GI Joe, but this will be the first time I see these Knight Sabers in action.”

“I’m most interested in seeing the USS Flagg in action.” Ledger added

A seaman handed each officer a pair of binoculars, ready to observe the exercise. “You’re awfully quiet today, Erickson.” Franks turned to his aide.

“I’m fine, sir.”

“Come on, Doll Face,” Shipwreck said with a sly smile as he got closer to Scarlett, “I know a little café in port where the food is great and lights are dim. Let’s you and I get together at….”

“Let’s not!” Scarlett pushed him away and rebuked his advances. Of course if Duke were to see this, he would have Shipwreck scrapping barnacles off the Flagg’s hull, while they were underway. “And pretend we did, okay.”

“Shipwreck!” A stern voice called out.

The two turned to see Lt. Stingray, AKA Grey Fox, entered into the corridor. She was currently looking for Wolf as she saw Shipwreck’s unwanted advances on Scarlett. “If you don’t have anything better to do, I’ll find something for you.”

“Aye, Aye, Lt.”

Then Breaker’s voice rang through the intercom, “Attention all personnel the exercise will commence at 1000 hours. All Skystrikers scramble!” As Breaker spoke, the ship’s klaxon sounded. Scarlett ran down the corridor heading for the flight deck.

Exiting onto the flight deck, Grey Fox was still searching for her 2nd in command. She did manage to find Wolf’s partner in crime, Cover Girl, “Excuse me, Cover Girl have you seen Wolf?”

Cover Girl did not say a word, only jerking thumb to the back end of the flight deck, where Wolf was on her hands and knees and her head over on the side, puking her guts. Poor Priss, forgot her Dramamine and her first time out to sea.

Wolf finally was able to catch her breath, before her stomach started churning again preparing for another release of stomach contents. “Aw fuck! Here we go again!” she said weakly as threw up again. “I had hangovers, where I felt better than this!”

Fox kneeled beside her with some Dramamine in hand. “Here,” she smiled, “these should help.”

Wolf took the tube, and gulped down the pills. “Thanks, boss.”

”I need you in one piece, Wolf.” Fox said. Before Wolf could say anything, she was drowned out by sounds of chopper blades. Fox turned to see Duke landing his Dragonfly on the flight deck.

“Everyone your attention please. I know this is just for show, but the top brass are watching from the observation ship. So let’s show ‘em what GI Joe can do.”

“Great!” Wolf sarcastically retorted, “A dog ‘n’ pony show for some Pentagon assholes! I got ripped away from my warm bed and Shanghaied out to sea for this?! No one better tell me I won’t get paid for this!”

A stern look from Grey Fox silenced Wolf.

“YO JOE!” Exclaimed the assembled Joes.

Inside the hanger bay of the Flagg, a small area was set up for the Knight Sabers to suit up in their softsuits, then their hardsuits. Several techs assembled the Full Vernier and Full Strike Weapon FAST packs onto the YHS-01 and 02. Prepped and ready the two Knight Sabers rode the aircraft elevator to the flight deck. For testing purposes the catapult was modified to launch the two into air. Reaching the flight deck, the flight crews were finishing the modifications to the catapult for the two Knight Sabers. Fox was going to be first to be launch off the Flagg. Placing her feet into the foot locks, she ignited the dual Vernier flight pack as the catapult sent her down the flight deck and launched her into the air. Wolf was next; a flight crewman gave her final instructions of keeping her knees bent and lean forward as she was being launched. As well asking if she had any next of kin, Wolf only replied by flipping the bird.

“Had fun?” Fox quipped over her comlink to Wolf, as the two were airborne.

“Fun? That was bitchin’!” Wolf shot back with a laugh.

“Signal the Flagg to launch the target drones.” Ledger ordered

The drones launched for the Flagg were older Predator drones modified to emit a signal to make the sensors of the YHS-01 and 02 to identify the targets as Rattlers and Night Ravens.

The extra verniers made the YHS-01 extremely maneuverable, dodging the simulated weapons fire, while Fox was carrying live ammo in her suit’s FAST packs. Targeting a drone, she raised her arm, a 9mm Vulcan gun popped out of the fast pack and she opened fire.

Wolf was impressed with the FSW FAST packs as she unleashed a swarm of missiles from the shoulder, chest and arm modules at multiple drones, during the design phase of the FSW FAST packs, Mackie took in a lot input from Wolf. Wolf asked if a beam cannon could be added, at the current stage of the beam weapons’ development at the time, no, DARPA had just only perfected the beam rifles.

Glancing at his wristwatch from under his glove. “Captain, its time to begin the operation, order all High Mobility Zakus to launch, and other units to stand-by.”

“Aye sir.”

Destro voiced his objections he still had no real operational details of the Commander’s plan, so he had no real basis to fully understand the Commander. In the back of his mind there was that nagging feeling that Zartan had to be apart of this. Destro never liked nor cared for Zartan or his Dreadnoks, for he viewed them as dishonorable, greedy, nothing more than criminal scum. “I feel Zartan is somehow mixed in all this!”

“Zartan has no part in this operation, so keep your high and mighty airs to yourself and shut up! We’re going to destroy GI Joe with you!”

With an amused smile, Destro was nearly glad he decided to tag along on this mission. In a way he got a perverse pleasure of watching situations blow up in the Commander’s face. He knew Cobra Commander understood the difference between arrogance and stupidity. The Commander suffered from the former than the latter. “Indeed.”

“But first we will humiliate them, destroy their spirit. Then lead them to their doom!” The Commander laughed evilly.
Sign up to rate and review this story