Categories > Original > Fantasy > The Silver Feather

The crippling blow

by someonerandom 3 reviews

Just when the heirs thought they'd be okay, Fiona pulls another dirty trick.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Published: 2007-11-14 - Updated: 2007-11-15 - 1058 words

0Unrated
AN: Okay, I know, I took a long time to update. You see, I’ve got like the next three chapters written, but wasn’t sure how to get from the last on to the next one. Plus, I’m REALLY busy with stuff at school right now.
Also, seriously, one word: REVIEW

“So? What did she say? More importantly, what did she do?’ Christophe asked as soon as his sister entered the Library.
“Nothing, actually. She just talked to me, or rather AT me.” The girl replied. Ryan frowned. We have to keep our guard up. Think, who will she go for next?” Christope started pacing while Sophie started reasoning aloud
“She’s trying to pick us off one by one, and she’s going for who she sees as the weakest. I have no doubt I’m next. I’m surprised she didn’t go after me first.”
“I think you should stop trying to be modest!” Ryan snapped.
“What’s that supposed to mean?”
“Think, Sophie, she tried to get you on her side just now. She doesn’t see you as a weak link; in fact I think it’s the opposite.”
“Ryan’s right.” Chris said absently. “She clearly doesn’t just see you as a minor threat or inconvenience, you seem to be something that seriously jeopardizes her.” The Artist’s brother and sister just stared at him open-mouthed.
“That’s right, I can be logical when I want to be!” he teased.
“Anyway, back on topic.” Ryan said “So far she’s taken a swing at Hans and Chris. I think Eric will be next on her hit-list. After Hans and Chris, he’s spent the most time with her.”
“She might, on the other hand, learn from her mistakes and choose to go after the ones who are not under his control. You should watch how you go Ryan. She knows that you are not her ally.”
“We should get some rest. I don’t think she will have done anything by tomorrow.
How incredibly wrong they were.

For many days things seemed to have died down a little. It was as if the children’s stepmother had an uneasy truce with them. Either that or she had realized that her actions were not driving them apart, merely stronger together. So instead of picking them off, she had grown more discreet and sneaky, except that she had alerted the heirs to her intent, at least enough of them to be wary. However, the big blow came on the announcement of Alrick’s apparent engagement! No one was more shocked than the eldest son when the Queen rose to her feet to make an announcement at the feast in honour of him and his brother’s birthday.
“Ladies and Gentlemen.” The Queen Fiona said in her most cordial and girly manner. “The King and I, have an announcement. It appears Congratulations are in order. His majesty and I have just concluded negotiations with our neighbours to the west. Prince Alrick, as this is your 20th birthday, you are now of definite marrying age. Therefore as the eldest son, you are now engaged to Princess Elmira of the Western Woodlands! Now, come on! Make it official! Ask the girl!” she giggled at the last part like some silly teenager. Eric stood with incredible speed and knocked over both his chair and the table with an accusing finger pointed at his twin.
“You filthy traitor!” he yelled before striding out of the room.
“Erick, wait!” Alrick cried as he ran after his brother. Concerned, Sophie followed. She had not yet rounded the corner when their voices could be heard clearly so she stopped just short of the turn and pressed herself flat against the wall to listen.
“Erick! I had no knowledge of this!” the elder twin exclaimed quickly.
“A likely story!” The second son growled in return. “You always get everything! I just thought that you’d let me keep my love!”
“Erick, I don’t want to marry her! I love…someone else. There must be some kind of mistake!”
“Boys!” a sickening, familiar voice called-a sound which was followed by the clicking of the queen’s slippers. “Boys, come along now, behave! There are more announcements!” grumbling, tension still thick in the air, the two princes followed their stepmother and Sophie slipped back into the dining hall.
“Well, now that we are all settled,” the queen began, “It is time to continue with the announcements.”
“I don’t like this.” The princess heard Ryan murmur. She couldn’t help but agree as the hairs on the back of her neck stood in agitation as their stepmother cleared her throat in that completely fabricated, girly little way of hers.
“First of all, it is the king’s wish that two or three of his sons shall accompany him on his campaign in the spring! Well, Hans, Ryan, Christophe, stand up boys!” she giggled. For a moment a silence born out of shock gripped everyone in the room. None of those boys were warriors! Ryan was too gentle, Hans was a goof and Christophe…well, he could PAINT a sword exquisitely, but he couldn’t even lift the real thing! Finally, Sophie’s visions of her brother’s peril escalated and she stood as quickly as her brother had earlier, slamming her palms down on the table hard enough to make the dishes and cutlery around her clang and even knocked her chair over.
“NO!” she cried, her voice echoing through the hall.
“My dear, sit down!” Fiona exclaimed breathily, as if she was shocked.
“What is the matter with you father?” Luke asked him “Since when do you do campaigns?”
“Yeah!” Matt added with a frown “And why take them? Why not Eric or Alrick? They LIKE fighting!”
“You can’t do this!” Sophie said
“Oh my darling, you don’t have to be jealous!” Fiona told her “kindly”
“I’m sorry, jealous?” Sophie fumed
“Yes, do not worry! You will be returning with your future sister to her palace in the west. You shall become a proper lady.”
“You’re sending me away?” Sophie sputtered, looking directly at her father.
“Yes. It is for your own good, my child.” He replied
“I’ve heard that before.” The princess replied sourly.
Sign up to rate and review this story