Categories > Cartoons > G.I. Joe > Haven

The Accident

by Nickelina 1 review

Haven n.- A place of refuge or rest, a sanctuary

Category: G.I. Joe - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Duke, Flint, Lady Jaye, Other - Published: 2006-01-21 - Updated: 2006-01-22 - 1533 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: Characters in this work (GI Joe/ Cobra) are the property of Marvel Comics, Hasbro
and Devil's Due Publishing, Inc., and are being used without permission. No profit is gained from the use of these characters.

Just for Daniel

Haven
By Nickelina




The Accident
Nine months earlier...

"Stupid me, what was I thinking?" Alison said aloud as she weaved in and out of traffic on the freeway. "Where is he?" She jerked the car to the left and got in the passing lane. She reached for her cell phone and dialed her husband. She heard the phone beep as he rejected her call. "Damn him!"
A black sedan closed in on her fast and then swerved into the next lane. She looked ahead and saw her husbands Toyota SRV a few car lengths in front of her in the next lane. Before she could breathe a sigh of relive, she saw the black sedan speed up and rear ended the truck. Alison knew what was happening; it was no random accident. She hit the all call on her comm. and gave her coordinates to whoever was listening. "I need anyone who can get down here...Oh my God!" She screamed as she saw her husband's truck go over the side of the ravine. She pulled her car into the emergency lane and got out. She quickly looked to her right to check oncoming traffic then ran across all three lanes until she got to the edge of the ravine. "I'm gonna need and ambulance too! STAT! Flint's been in an accident!"
She noticed that the black sedan had also stopped along the side of the road. She saw a woman get out of the sedan and begin to walk down the embankment towards the truck that had flipped before landing on its side. When the woman pulled out her sidearm, Alison ran to catch up with her.
Before the woman could get close to the truck, Alison tackled her to the ground. She was not sure who this person was, all she knew was that this person ran her husband off the road and was planning to do worse. She tackled the woman and proceeded to knock her out.
Alison ran to her husband who was trapped in his truck. "Its ok Dash, I'm here. I'm going to get you out of here." She tried to pull her husband out of the wreck of his truck. "Listen to my voice. Try to stay awake." Alison placed her arms under her husband and gingerly pulled him out of the truck.
She moved him away from the wreck and to an area which she thought would be safe. Alison gently took her husband's head in her hands.
"Oh, Dash, I'm so sorry."
He asked her how she knew where to find him. With everything that was happening, she had to smile. Observation point was the only place he knew how to get to; it was obvious to her where he would have been going if he wanted to get away. She did her best to calm him. She could tell that he was in a lot of pain and it scared her, she had never seen him like that. Alison was afraid that she was going to lose him. She bent down close to him, and tenderly kissed him on the lips.
"I love you, Dash. I always have, I always will. Please hold on, help is on the way, baby."
He did his best to tell her that he loved her as well, but the amount of pain he was in did not make it easy.
Alison looked to see if the woman was still incapacitated. She noticed that the woman was stirring. She made the decision to leave her husband and try to secure the woman.
"I gotta go secure that woman. I need you to count to one hundred as loud as you can so I know you are still awake."
Her husband protested, but she went any way.
"I'll be right back," she said, squeezing his hand. "I promise."
Alison laid her husband back on the ground and stood up. She was not more that five feet away before she was standing face to face with the woman. Before she knew what was happening she saw the woman take a swing at her. She tried to take a step back, but before she could, she felt an intense pain rip through her. She tried to take a breath, but it would not come. She fell back and landed hard on the ground. Everything around her went black.


*

Duke paced in the executive office of Joe headquarters. Tonight had defiantly been a nightmare. There was so much going on, especially with the red shadows, and now both Flint and Lady Jaye were at the hospital. He knew that Flint would be all right. He suffered from a lot of cuts and bruises, and a couple of broken ribs. Lady Jaye on the other hand was in far worse shape than anyone had expected. She was still in surgery, and if she happened to be the luckiest woman in the world, she would live long enough to see daylight.
Something lurked at the back of Duke's mind. None of this could have been an accident. Duke had a special connection with Jaye. It was something that both had kept secret from everyone else they knew. What most people would think were quiet lunches and talks between missions and meetings, were actually secret meetings between the two of them.
When Duke had left GI Joe and began working with the CIA, he would often tap Jaye for insight and information. With her being only part time in the military, there was no one to go through if he needed to sweep her away time to time to check things in Washington and abroad. Her connections in the intelligence field came in handy. She assisted Duke in many of his Black Ops missions with the CIA without the knowledge of her husband or any of the other members of the team.
Duke nominated her to head of intelligence for GI Joe. There were Joes who had questions about her ability to do it, but with all her side work with him, there was no better person qualified.
Over the past year, they had many meetings, and late night phone calls. She had brought her concern over the state of the team, as well as what was going on in Washington with the jugglers. As much as he had wanted to think her a bit paranoid over the whole thing, once she began to present him with her information, he too began to see the other side of what was happening. They had talked extensively about the Joe's new leader, General Rey. Jaye had told Duke about the feeling in her gut every time she was in the same room with him. Jaye was never one to squelch her gut feelings.
Earlier that evening, she had pulled Duke aside. Once they were alone and sure that no one was listening, she told him that she had a confrontation with Rey. She questioned him about his history and he told her in not so many words that there were things in his past he could not reveal. He told her that he would never reveal to her who he really was and he was sure she was never going to find out. Jaye had told Duke that she thought she was on to one lead, but it had brought her right back to the jugglers. Moreover, that scared her. Scarlett who wanted to go over some things with Jaye interrupted them. Duke told Jaye that they would finish their conversation later that night. Unfortunately, he never had the chance.
Duke knew Jaye well enough to know that she would not exaggerate the truth, and that her findings must be something. He was afraid now that he would lose her before she could ever tell him. He ran his fingers through his blond hair and sighed. He walked to the secure area of headquarters and punched his code into the keypad. The door opened and he secured it behind him.
The room had video screens and computer terminals. He sat at one of the terminals and got himself to the main screen of the Joe security software. Duke slipped a chip into the floppy drive to encrypt anything he would type or see. He logged in under Jaye's special security code and waited for her information to load.
"Alright, LJ. Let's see what you have for me."
Duke only read Lady Jaye's report for a few minutes before he shut the program down and took out his chip. He opened the security door and once he was in the hallway, he immediately called Hawk on his comm.
"I need to have a meeting with you right now." Duke said as he made his way towards the main offices.
"This better be more important than what is going on right now, Hauser." Hawk replied.
"It is. We're just two old friends having a chat. I'm on my way down."
Sign up to rate and review this story