Categories > Cartoons > G.I. Joe > Haven

Desperate Times, Desperate Measures

by Nickelina 0 reviews

Haven n.- A place of refuge or rest, a sanctuary

Category: G.I. Joe - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Duke, Lady Jaye, Other - Published: 2006-01-21 - Updated: 2006-01-22 - 1382 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: Characters in this work (GI Joe/ Cobra) are the property of Marvel Comics, Hasbro
and Devil's Due Publishing, Inc., and are being used without permission. No profit is gained from the use of these characters.


Haven
By Nickelina




Desperate times, desperate measures

After talking things over with Hawk, Duke made the decision that he knew was only right. Both men were convinced that the attacks tonight were planned by someone who knew exactly where the Faireborn's would be. Duke believed that tonight the Red Shadows could get two for the price of one. Jaye was the actual target and Flint was used as a pawn to get to her. Duke and Hawk agreed that because of the information that Jaye had on the jugglers and the Red Shadows, plus her suspicions on General Rey, she should be put into hiding until things blew over, and that was only if she survived.
"I really do hope this is the right thing." Duke said as he shook Hawk's hand.
"In the end, Duke, it will be." Hawk answered. He thought about Alison, she was like the daughter he never had. He stared out of the windows searching for a glimmer of hope for her survival that was not there.
On his way out of the building, Duke made a call to an old friend at the CIA. He knew that he was going to have to call in some favors to pull this off. When he was in his car, he was put through to his contact.
"Conrad "Duke" Hauser. It's good to hear from you." Zach Allen said from the other line.
"Yeah, Zach, I wish it was under better circumstances that I was calling you."
"What can I do you for?"
"Where can I meet you to talk?"
"Well, I'm still at the offices, can you meet me here?"
Duke hesitated before answering. "No. That's not good." He thought about where to meet. He was sure the pentagon was locked down after the assassination of the jugglers and he did not want to be spotted in Langley in case the Red Shadows were keeping surveillance on the whole Joe team. "Meet me at the basin. I need you to get there as fast as you can."
"I'm leaving now. Conrad, are you in some sort of trouble?"
"No. But a friend of mine is."
*
The water lapped gently at the shore of the Basin. The full moon cast a white light over the water. Duke heard footsteps behind him and turned to see Zach walking towards him.
"It would have been nice if you would have told me what part of the Basin you were at." Zach said.
"I thought you would figure it out. Thanks for coming." Duke extended his hand towards Zach. The two exchanged a hand shake.
"Anything for you. What the trouble?"
"Can we walk?" Duke asked. "Did you hear about the accident on the beltway this evening?"
"I caught a traffic update earlier, why?"
"It wasn't an accident. One of my men was intentionally run off the road. He's in the hospital now. Do remember Alison Hart-Burnett?"
It took Zack a minute before he remembered who she was. "I think so. The cute one who helped us clear out the embassy in Chechestan*, right?"
"Yeah, that's the one. She was also involved in that accident."
Zach stopped walking and looked at Duke. "She's okay, right?"
"I wish I could say yes. I really don't know. She's not expected to make it out of surgery."
"My god, Conrad what happened to her?"
"She was impaled by a large piece of metal. Something that fell off her husband's truck as it rolled down the embankment. But the real story is she was stabbed with that piece of metal by someone who is now in custody at GI Joe headquarters."
"They were set up then."
"Exactly." Duke began to walk around the Basin again. "I need your expertise, Zach. Over the past few months, people from my team have been killed, in and out of the field. Alison has some very valuable information. There have been things happening all over and I'll be damned, but Alison was able to piece it all together. The people who attacked the Faireborn's tonight know that. They were next on the list. If word got out that she lived past tonight, they will try again. I need her alive."
"I may be off track, but does this have anything to do with six of our top generals being assassinated tonight?"
"It has everything to do with that."
"Jesus Christ, Hauser! Why is the shit twenty feet deep when you're around? I don't know, man. This is, this is..."
"This is what we do Zach. This is our job. She's my friend, I owe it to her."
Zach sighed. "I can make sure Alison doesn't make it through the night. I have connections at John Hopkins. I can get Jane doe moved there tonight until we can figure out a more permanent solution. Where is she now?
"Walter Reed."
"I'll meet you there."
"Zach, you know nothing of what I have just told you."
"Conrad, do you even need to tell me that? We're just moving a car accident patient to a better equipped hospital. I'll bring everything with me."
"Thank you, Zach. You have no idea how much of a help you are."
"Oh, Conrad, I think I do."

* Chechestan- a fictional country, as far as I know -n.



*
When duke arrived at the hospital, he stopped at the desk of the emergency department to inquire about Flint. He had to show his government badge in order to get any information. They let Duke back to the examination rooms to see him.
Flint's face was badly bruised, and he was in a gown. A nurse was trying to secure the IV that he had ripped out of his arm. She assured him that if he did not co-operate, that he would be restrained. Duke stepped in before security was called.
"Dash, calm down."
"Where is Alison?" Flint demanded.
"I told you already, sir, she is in surgery." The nurse commented.
"Dash, please let them check you out." Duke pleaded. "You're not doing Alison any good acting this way."
"You don't understand. I saw her go down."
Duke walked to the bed and put his hand on his friends shoulder. "I do understand. We have everything under control. The woman who caused all this is in custody..."
"I don't care about that." Flint lay back on the bed. "I just need to know if my wife is okay."
"I'll find out for you. Now, please, let the doctor's finish checking you out."
Flint winced in pain, and looked up at this friend. "Please find out if Al is okay."
Duke turned to the door. As he walked down the hall, he knew this was going to be harder than he expected.
Duke walked up to the nurse's station and got the attention of one of the staff. "Excuse me, there was a woman brought in earlier from a car accident. Do you have information on her whereabouts?"
The nurse looked up at Duke from the desk. "I'm sorry, but unless you are immediate family I can't give you any information."
Duke took out his identification again and showed it to the nurse. "She's under government protective custody. I need to know her whereabouts and her condition immediately.
"Look, Sir," the nurse said, "I don't care if you were the president, I can't give you anymore information."
Duke was losing his temper fast. He slammed his identification on the desk. "Look, unless you want the secret service turning this emergency department upside down, I'd advise you tell me where she is."
The nurse became flustered and picked up the phone. She dialed the surgery floor and asked on the condition of the patient. She wrote down the information and handed it to Duke.
"She's still in surgery, but you can go to the second floor. A nurse will be waiting for you."
Duke took the paper from her and walked to the elevators. When the doors closed he hit the second floor button. Hopefully the nurse had some news for him when he got there.
Sign up to rate and review this story