Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Love Knows No Age - Continued

Once and For All - FEB 28

by AlexSanDee 3 reviews

Monica tries to find answers

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Characters: Bob Bryar,Frank Iero,Gerard Way,Mikey Way,Ray Toro - Published: 2008-02-27 - Updated: 2008-02-28 - 1335 words

1Moving
“So you said you wanted to talk to me.” Christa reminded Monica gently. “What’s up?”
Monica peered into the other room to make sure Elle was engrossed in the movie. “Liv left a box for Elle before she left. All she told me was that it was for Elle when she was older.”
Christa stopped folding Ray’s shirts and looked over at her friend. “That sounds like she’s not planning on coming back.” She said softly.
“That was what I thought too. I asked her why she couldn’t just give it to Elle herself, She admitted they were about to be evicted and she’d given up their apartment. She said she left some of her stuff with friends but she didn’t want anything to happen to the box,”
Monica picked up a tee shirt and started to fold it. Christa watched her a moment before asking, “So you opened it, right?”
“Yeah” Monica admitted without looking up. “I did.”
Christa took the tee out of Monica’s hands and threw it in the box. “Sit” she commanded. Once Monica had taken a set on the bed Christa sat down next to her. “So what was in it?”
Monica sighed, “Mementos. There’s a photo of Elle as a newborn in Liv’s arms. A lock of Elle’s hair, a photo she’d drawn for her mom.” Monica paused letting her mind picture the rest of the items.
“And?” Christa prodded gently.
“The rest of the stuff belonged to Liv. A photo of Gee in a bear suit, a note he wrote her, a book of poetry with an inscription.”
Christa heard the pain in her voice, “Love poetry?”
“Yeah, just like he gave me.”
“But Monica that’s not that surprising. Gee’s a poet at heart. It would be a gift he’d give to someone he loved.”
Monica nodded slightly, “Yeah, that’s true. I guess the inscription bothered me a bit.”
“What else?”
Monica knew she’d have to explain about the dried flowers. When she did Christa tried to think of what to say.
“He still keeps the picture.” Monica said looking down at the rug.
Christa waited a moment then asked. “Anything else in the box?”
“A thick envelope with Elle’s name written on it.”
‘You didn’t open that one, did you?’
Monica shook her head, “No, it seemed really personal so I didn’t.”
Christa knew there was something she was holding back. “Anything else?”
“There’s a gumball container and a ring.”
While Christa could see by the look on Monica’s face that this was somehow important she was confused, “I don’t understand.”
“When Gee asked me to marry him we were in Denver.”
Christa nodded, “Ray told me how nervous Gee was about asking you. Ray said that Gee was just sure you’d turn him down.”
Monica thought back to that night. “It was such a beautiful proposal.” She whispered.
“Monica, I don’t understand what this has to do with Liv.”
Monica explained, “The next day he took to a very exclusive jewelry story to buy me an engagement ring but spending all that money seemed wrong to me.” She laughed mirthlessly. “I’m such a country girl at heart.”
Christa was beginning to see. “So the ring you wear wasn’t purchased there.”
“No.” Monica held up her hand “This belonged to Gee’s grandma. He had his Mom give it to me as soon as I got back from the tour.”
“It’s beautiful,” Christa said looking at it closely. “So I’m still lost.”
“Gee could see how unhappy I was in the jewelry story so he made up a story about getting a phone call and walked out a few minutes. Once we left the story he explained how he wanted me to have his grandma’s ring.” She paused. “Then he gave me a gumball ring and said it would have to make due until I got the real ring.”
Now Christa understood, “Oh, and you think that Liv’s ring was from Gee?”
Monica nodded. “Yeah, I do. I guess I’m just being stupid but it just upset me to see it.”
Christa reached over and touched her arm. “Monica you don’t know for sure what that ring is. It could be something of Elle’s. Try not to let it upset you.”
Monica nodded, “You’re right. Last night I was so upset I just wanted to talk to her and find out the truth. I still don’t understand why she left Elle. But if she’s done this hoping in some way to get Gee’s attention, to get back with him I’ll hate her. Elle needs her mother.”
“Elle has a mother.” Christa said looking into Monica’s eyes. “She has a mother who loves her.”
“I do love her.” Monica whispered. “So much.”
“Then let it go. Stop trying to figure out Liv and her motives.”
Sadly Monica realized Christa was right. She was spending as much time trying to figure out Liv’s leaving Elle as Gee spent trying to figure out why she’s left him.

The girls arrived home from school the same time as Elle and Monica arrived home from Christa’s. Monica explained she had some errands to run and left Elle in their care. Now as she sat parked in front of the apartment building that was Liv’s last home she wondered why she couldn’t listen to Christa. Why she couldn’t let this go. A small part of her brain hoped she wouldn’t be able to find anyone who knew where Liv had gone or with who. She hoped she hadn’t left any kind of forwarding address. She took a deep breath and got out of the car.
She began at the apartment Bert had told her was Liv’s just on the off chance she really hadn’t left yet. From inside the apartment she head noises. Chances were another family had already moved in. She knocked gently.
The door opened and there stood Liv. “Monica, why are you here? How did you find me?”
Monica was shocked by her appearance. Her hair was un-brushed and she wore no makeup. From where she stood she could see into the small apartment. It was practically empty. “We need to talk” Monica said finding her voice.
“You need to go.” Liv started to shut the door. Monica quickly pushed it open and moved inside before Liv could react.
“No, you and I are gonna talk. I want this shit straightened out once and for all.”
Liv slammed the door closed. “Once and for all?”
“Yeah, I’m not gonna spend my life wondering about all this. I’m not gonna spend the rest of it wondering why you took off like you did.” Monica said angrily.
Liv stood staring at Monica. She blinked several time then said tiredly, “You mean like Gee?”
Monica returned her stare, “Yeah, like Gee.”
“Why can’t you just let it go? You’ve got him. You’ve got Elle. Go live your life and be happy.” She said finally breaking eye contact and looking away.
Some of Monica’s anger faded. “Liv, look at you. Is this how you want to live your life? Are the drugs more important than your daughter?”
Liv blinked, “Live my life.” She repeated in a whisper.
Suddenly the truth hit Monica full force. It felt like the breath had been snatched from her body. How could she not have seen it before? How could she have been so blind? “Liv” she whispered.
Liv raised her eyes. Tears coursed down her face. “Once and for all. It’s over.”
Monica had trouble forming the words. “How long?”
Liv’s body began to tremble. “In December they gave me six months. But it spread much faster.”
“Oh God.” Monica whispered.
Sign up to rate and review this story